GridView: editing without clicking edit link

Hi guys,

I'd like to edit the content of the gridview without using 'edit' link.

User can just click the cell and edit the data.

Any links or thoughts would be appreciate.

I can do it!
0
Jessmmy

Well, I have not tried but take a look at this: http://www.targetprocess.com/blog/2007/10/grid-inline-editing-using-aspnet-ajax.html

Other than these, there are 3rd party grids which let you do MS Excel like editing. A Google search will help.

Mark replies as answers if they helped you solve the problem.
0
siva_sm
2/8/2008 11:44:00 AM

I don't want to pay for the control. Googled, but no luck.

Any ideas?

I can do it!
0
Jessmmy
2/8/2008 11:50:59 PM

It's not a paid one. You can download the source at http://www.targetprocess.com/articles/ajax_inline_edit/InlineEditController.zip. Demo is also available on the same page.

Mark replies as answers if they helped you solve the problem.
0
siva_sm
2/9/2008 8:56:32 AM

1.Have textboxes in item template.

2.make textboxes look like label and make it read only.

3.bind the data to grid view.

4.when the user clicks on texbox use java script to enable.

0
sethuraman

Direct editing of gridView or Ddatagrid controls without clicking on an EDIT link
I have an application where lots of data is presented to the user in a gridView control and the user needs the option to review and overwrite any values in the cells of the grid.  My users find it very annoying and time consuming to click on an edit link to turn a row of the gridView into edit mode.  Typically, they might jump around and edit a few values in several rows.  Is there any way to present the data in a gridView control, datagrid control or something that looks like a grid where the entire grid is already in edit mode?  Can you make a grid that cont...

Is there really an easy way to click and edit a cell value at run time (without having to click on Edit and Update links) in GridView?
 Link for an answer is broken. Anyway I want know just that. RegardsLeif  I'm talking with absolutely no knowledge, but why not to trigger "onblur" event in the client textbox and forward it to whatever the edit-and-update links go?...

GridView control enters edit mode only when I click Edit link twice
Hi all..I have a GridView control in an ASP.NET 2.0 page. I added a column that contains edit, update, cancel buttons. Because I did that, I had to handle RowEditing event or an exception was thrown.Well... this is the body of the RowEditing event:protected void gvParametros_RowEditing(object sender, GridViewEditEventArgs e){      gvParametros.EditIndex = e.NewEditIndex;}The fact is that when page is loaded and I click the edit link, page is refreshed but GridView doesn't enter edit mode. When I press edit link again, GridView enters edit mode.Any help to solve this behavior w...

ListView onclick edit row without Edit link problem (GridView worked...)
Hello,I was initially using a GridView to enable row editing when any element of the row was clicked.  I'm using this control inside an UpdatePanel for partial-page postbacks.  This was basically accomplished by: protected void GridView1_RowDataBound(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e) {//... if (e.Row.RowType == DataControlRowType.DataRow) { string jsCommand = string.Format("if ({2} != {1}) __doPostBack('{0}','Edit${1}')", GridView1.ID, e.Row.RowIndex, GridView1.EditIndex); foreach (TableCell c in e.Row.Cells) { // OnClick enable the e...

how to disable editing for some of the value in the gridview when edit function is clicked
hi, could anyone tell me how to disable the values for the gridview. Hiyou can convert it to a template field (ie the column thta you want people to not change)then you can change the textbox to a label control in the edititem templated field.Does that make sense?example below... <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="id" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource2" Style="position: relative"> <Columns> <asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" /> <asp:BoundField Da...

editable gridview when user click external edit button
Hi Friend, I have gridview with columns id, fname, lname and email. I have bound the gridview from the table. Now my requirement is: I need to have editable gridview with edit button external to gridview. I can do it, if the edit button is internal to gridview. But I want to achieve editable gridview when user click external edit button. Is it possible or any other control that have this future?  Thanks, FarooqMark as answer if this post helpfull to you.Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right.  Do you want to make a certain row editable or t...

Editable/Not Editable
Hello All, I have some webform(.aspx page) in which i have some controls (for input) and i would like to make that screen editable/not editable based on some condition. how can i do that.  the whole intent is user can read the information but can't change.  shiva kumar If you want to make the controls editable/non-editable, you can set their ReadOnly property to true or false accordingly. What exactly do you imply by making the screen editable/non-editable?Thanks,MaxLet Me Google That For You! i mean to say i would like to show the current values but user should not mod...

Edit GridView without template control
 I have a gridview but need to bulk edit the gridview via a event from a button.  Not sure how to go about doing that.  Any examples or ideas?   Thanks,  http://www.gridviewguy.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?articleID=219_GridView_All_Rows_in_Edit_ModeGive a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him forever.  Yeah I tried that or something similar and could not get it to work.  When it binds back to the grid its empty and not a textbox.   can you show us the code what you tried? so that we will do necessary...

On Click 'Edit link all fields turn editable'
Hey, I have a datagrid which works fine but... once the edit link is clicked and the update and cancel links appear, instead of the column in question turning in to a text box to allow it to be edited, all fields in the datagrid that should be editable turn in to textboxes. The row that has now had the edit link clicked has update and cancel links, but all others just have 'Edit' as expected. But again all editable fields are now textboxes and can be edited by deleting their text but once the update link is clicked for the row in question, it is updated appropriately and all othe...

Edit but no edit

To edit or no to edit
Jon, Can I edit, whatever I've written so far, so that it doesn't look like I wrote utterly crap?-) -- Pieter "Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates, Apache in house." -- Usenet signature Pieter Zijlstra wrote: > Jon, > > Can I edit, whatever I've written so far, so that it doesn't look like > I wrote utterly crap?-) Oh boy, the edit button vanished from the web-forum ... ;-) -- Pieter "Humor is also a way of saying something serious." -- T. S. Eliot (1888 - 1965) Pieter Zijlstra wrote: ...

GridView edit mode Edit/Delete link become button
The standard Gridview edit mode provides "Edit" and "Delete" hyperlink (called linked button) for us to click and update record. How to make them buttons instead of hyperlik ? I could not find the codes for these 2 default hyperlinks to modify. ThanksThanks in advance for the help. I will try to credit the ones who helped but most important is we really do sincerely thanks to all who have helped. I found the solution. We can edit column and then change from link to button.  Thanks in advance for the help. I will try to credit the ones who helped but most import...

Web resources about - GridView: editing without clicking edit link - asp.net.presentation-controls