GridView does not update editable row

Hello

I have used a gridview control to list and edit some items on the list. I have turned on the "Enable Editing" mode on the Gridview but the data is not updated when it comes to editable view. Instead it returns with original data as there is no change on the items.

My code is like the one below:

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="MasrafDetayId" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1">
<Columns>
<asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="MasrafDetayId" HeaderText="MasrafDetayId" InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True" SortExpression="MasrafDetayId" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="MasrafId" HeaderText="MasrafId" SortExpression="MasrafId" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="HesapKodu" HeaderText="HesapKodu" SortExpression="HesapKodu" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="KDVTutar" HeaderText="KDVTutar" SortExpression="KDVTutar" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="MuhFisKimden" HeaderText="MuhFisKimden" SortExpression="MuhFisKimden" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="MuhFisNo" HeaderText="MuhFisNo" SortExpression="MuhFisNo" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="MuhFisTarihi" HeaderText="MuhFisTarihi" SortExpression="MuhFisTarihi" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="MuhToplamTutar" HeaderText="MuhToplamTutar" SortExpression="MuhToplamTutar" />
</Columns>
</asp:GridView>

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:DEVELOPMENTConnectionString %>"SelectCommand="SELECT MasrafDetayId, MasrafId,HesapKodu, KDVTutar, MuhFisKimden, MuhFisNo, MuhFisTarihi, MuhToplamTutar FROM tb_MasrafBeyanDetay WHERE (MasrafId = @MasrafId) AND (GiderTipi = 'Yemek')"UpdateCommand="UPDATE tb_MasrafBeyanDetay SET HesapKodu = @HesapKodu, MuhToplamTutar = @MuhToplamTutar, MuhFisTarihi = @MuhFisTarihi, MuhFisKimden = @MuhFisKimden, MuhFisNo = @MuhFisNo, KDVTutar = @KDVTutar WHERE (MasrafDetayId = @MasrafDetayId)">

<SelectParameters>

<asp:Parameter DefaultValue="11" Name="MasrafId" />

</SelectParameters>

</asp:SqlDataSource>

0
anchara06

was the data in fact updated in your db?

A quick glance, doesn't seem liek there is anything wrong.....
Liming Xu
Jumptree ASP.NET 2.0 Project Management - With Source Code, Free to Non Profit Org and Effectively Manage Projects/Tasks/Milestones
0
Liming
3/19/2007 1:46:07 PM

I don't see any update parameters.  Here is an example with update parameters.

<%

@ Page Language="C#" %>

<!

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<

script runat="server">

</

script>

<

html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >

<

head runat="server">

<title>Untitled Page</title>

</

head>

<

body>

<form id="form1" runat="server">

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:ConnectionString %>" DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [Names] WHERE [id] = @id" InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [Names] ([name]) VALUES (@name)" SelectCommand="SELECT [id], [name] FROM [Names]" UpdateCommand="UPDATE [Names] SET [name] = @name WHERE [id] = @id">

<DeleteParameters>

<asp:Parameter Name="id" Type="Int32" />

</DeleteParameters>

<UpdateParameters>

<asp:Parameter Name="name" Type="String" />

<asp:Parameter Name="id" Type="Int32" />

</UpdateParameters>

<InsertParameters>

<asp:Parameter Name="name" Type="String" />

</InsertParameters>

</asp:SqlDataSource>

<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="id" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1">

<Columns>

<asp:CommandField ShowEditButton="True" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="id" HeaderText="id" InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True"

SortExpression="id" />

<asp:BoundField DataField="name" HeaderText="name" SortExpression="name" />

</Columns>

</asp:GridView>

</form>

</

body>

</

html>
Peter Kellner
http://73rdstreet.com and blogging at
http://PeterKellner.net
MVP, ASP.NET
0
pkellner
3/19/2007 3:35:09 PM
I tried both ways(UpdateCommand and UpdateParameters tag seperately) as you mentioned but this did not work either. The strange thing is select and delete works but update does not work. However it does not give any error. It acts like you click the cancel button and shows me the previous original row again. Also I created an update method in my datatableadapter and tried using this method by binding an objectdatasource to my gridview but this did not work also. Any help or recommendation will be appreciated. Thanks....
0
anchara06
3/19/2007 4:22:19 PM
Where is your working DeleteCommand? Could you show your table schema too?
Limno

0
limno
3/19/2007 6:38:28 PM

Here is my delete command from my schema file

<

TableAdapter BaseClass="System.ComponentModel.Component" DataAccessorModifier="AutoLayout, AnsiClass, Class, Public" DataAccessorName="tb_MuhasebeMasrafDetayTableAdapter" GeneratorDataComponentClassName="tb_MuhasebeMasrafDetayTableAdapter" Name="tb_MuhasebeMasrafDetay" UserDataComponentName="tb_MuhasebeMasrafDetayTableAdapter">

<

MainSource>

<

DbSource ConnectionRef="DEVELOPMENTConnectionString (Web.config)" DbObjectName="DEVELOPMENT.dbo.tb_MuhasebeMasrafDetay" DbObjectType="Table" FillMethodModifier="Public" FillMethodName="Fill" GenerateMethods="Both" GenerateShortCommands="True" GeneratorGetMethodName="GetData" GeneratorSourceName="Fill" GetMethodModifier="Public" GetMethodName="GetData" QueryType="Rowset" ScalarCallRetval="System.Object, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" UseOptimisticConcurrency="False" UserGetMethodName="GetData" UserSourceName="Fill">

<

DeleteCommand>

<

DbCommand CommandType="Text" ModifiedByUser="False">

<

CommandText>DELETE FROM [tb_MuhasebeMasrafDetay] WHERE (([DetayId] = @Original_DetayId))</CommandText>

<

Parameters>

<

Parameter AllowDbNull="False" AutogeneratedName="" DataSourceName="" DbType="Int64" Direction="Input" ParameterName="@Original_DetayId" Precision="0" ProviderType="BigInt" Scale="0" Size="0" SourceColumn="DetayId" SourceColumnNullMapping="False" SourceVersion="Original">

</

Parameter>

</

Parameters>

</

DbCommand>

</

DeleteCommand>

0
anchara06
3/20/2007 6:08:43 AM

In your original post:

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:DEVELOPMENTConnectionString %>"SelectCommand="SELECT MasrafDetayId, MasrafId,HesapKodu, KDVTutar, MuhFisKimden, MuhFisNo, MuhFisTarihi, MuhToplamTutar FROM tb_MasrafBeyanDetay WHERE (MasrafId = @MasrafId) AND (GiderTipi = 'Yemek')"UpdateCommand="UPDATE tb_MasrafBeyanDetay SET HesapKodu = @HesapKodu, MuhToplamTutar = @MuhToplamTutar, MuhFisTarihi = @MuhFisTarihi, MuhFisKimden = @MuhFisKimden, MuhFisNo = @MuhFisNo, KDVTutar = @KDVTutar WHERE (MasrafDetayId = @MasrafDetayId)">

and you mention DeleteCommand is working.

Could you add the working DeleteCommand to SqlDataSource1 along with deleteparameters by filling  in what is missing below and tell us whether it works or not?:

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:DEVELOPMENTConnectionString %>"SelectCommand="SELECT MasrafDetayId, MasrafId,HesapKodu, KDVTutar, MuhFisKimden, MuhFisNo, MuhFisTarihi, MuhToplamTutar FROM tb_MasrafBeyanDetay WHERE (MasrafId = @MasrafId) AND (GiderTipi = 'Yemek')"UpdateCommand="UPDATE tb_MasrafBeyanDetay SET HesapKodu = @HesapKodu, MuhToplamTutar = @MuhToplamTutar, MuhFisTarihi = @MuhFisTarihi, MuhFisKimden = @MuhFisKimden, MuhFisNo = @MuhFisNo, KDVTutar = @KDVTutar WHERE (MasrafDetayId = @MasrafDetayId)" DeleteCommand="???????????">

<DeleteParameters><asp:Parameter Name="???????????" Type="String" /></DeleteParameters>

Thanks.

Limno

0
limno
3/21/2007 9:24:44 PM

I have the same problem. Except I cannot both update AND delete rows in my GridView.

Here's my code :

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"  CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled</title>
</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" AutoGenerateColumns="False" CellPadding="4" DataKeyNames="NumProspect" DataSourceID="SqlDataSource1" ForeColor="#333333" GridLines="None" PageSize="35">
            <FooterStyle BackColor="#1C5E55" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />
            <Columns>
                <asp:BoundField DataField="NumProspect" HeaderText="NumProspect" InsertVisible="False"
                    ReadOnly="True" SortExpression="NumProspect" Visible="False" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="NomProspect" HeaderText="Nom" SortExpression="NomProspect" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="PrenomProspect" HeaderText="Prenom" SortExpression="PrenomProspect" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="AdresseProspect" HeaderText="Adresse" SortExpression="AdresseProspect" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="CPProspect" HeaderText="Code Postal" SortExpression="CPProspect" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="VilleProspect" HeaderText="Ville" SortExpression="VilleProspect" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="TelProspect" HeaderText="Téléphone" SortExpression="TelProspect" />
                <asp:BoundField DataField="EmailProspect" HeaderText="Email" SortExpression="EmailProspect" />
                <asp:TemplateField ShowHeader="False">
                    <EditItemTemplate>
                        <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton1" runat="server" CausesValidation="True" CommandName="Update"
                            Text="Mettre à jour"></asp:LinkButton>
                        <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton2" runat="server" CausesValidation="False" CommandName="Cancel"
                            Text="Annuler"></asp:LinkButton>
                    </EditItemTemplate>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton1" runat="server" CausesValidation="False" CommandName="Edit"
                            Text="Modifier"></asp:LinkButton>
                        <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton2" runat="server" CausesValidation="False" CommandName="Delete"
                            Text="Supprimer"></asp:LinkButton>
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateField>
            </Columns>
            <RowStyle BackColor="#E3EAEB" />
            <EditRowStyle BackColor="#7C6F57" />
            <SelectedRowStyle BackColor="#C5BBAF" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="#333333" />
            <PagerStyle BackColor="#666666" ForeColor="White" HorizontalAlign="Center" />
            <HeaderStyle BackColor="#1C5E55" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />
            <AlternatingRowStyle BackColor="White" />
        </asp:GridView>
        <asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server" ConflictDetection="CompareAllValues"
            ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:TestASPNETConnectionString %>"
            DeleteCommand="DELETE FROM [Prospects] WHERE [NumProspect] = @original_NumProspect AND [NomProspect] = @original_NomProspect AND [PrenomProspect] = @original_PrenomProspect AND [AdresseProspect] = @original_AdresseProspect AND [CPProspect] = @original_CPProspect AND [VilleProspect] = @original_VilleProspect AND [TelProspect] = @original_TelProspect AND [EmailProspect] = @original_EmailProspect"
            InsertCommand="INSERT INTO [Prospects] ([NomProspect], [PrenomProspect], [AdresseProspect], [CPProspect], [VilleProspect], [TelProspect], [EmailProspect]) VALUES (@NomProspect, @PrenomProspect, @AdresseProspect, @CPProspect, @VilleProspect, @TelProspect, @EmailProspect)"
            OldValuesParameterFormatString="original_{0}"
            SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Prospects]"
            UpdateCommand="UPDATE [Prospects] SET [NomProspect] = @NomProspect, [PrenomProspect] = @PrenomProspect, [AdresseProspect] = @AdresseProspect, [CPProspect] = @CPProspect, [VilleProspect] = @VilleProspect, [TelProspect] = @TelProspect, [EmailProspect] = @EmailProspect WHERE [NumProspect] = @original_NumProspect AND [NomProspect] = @original_NomProspect AND [PrenomProspect] = @original_PrenomProspect AND [AdresseProspect] = @original_AdresseProspect AND [CPProspect] = @original_CPProspect AND [VilleProspect] = @original_VilleProspect AND [TelProspect] = @original_TelProspect AND [EmailProspect] = @original_EmailProspect">
            <DeleteParameters>
                <asp:Parameter Name="original_NumProspect" Type="Int32" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="original_NomProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="original_PrenomProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="original_AdresseProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="original_CPProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="original_VilleProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="original_TelProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="original_EmailProspect" Type="String" />
            </DeleteParameters>
            <UpdateParameters>
                <asp:Parameter Name="NomProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="PrenomProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="AdresseProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="CPProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="VilleProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="TelProspect" Type="String" />
                <asp:Parameter Name="EmailProspect" Type="String" />
[...]

There is NO code-behind.

As you can see it's the most simple GridView possible with both update and delete options enabled. And it's not working. Same problem : when I click on "update" the row turns to editable form, but then when I click on "Validate update" (well... the french version of this sentence) the row returns to its original form, but the data is not updatted. And when I click on "Delete", the page flashes and... nothing, the row is still there.

My ConnectionString is OK. The user has the rights to perform Select, Update, Delete and Insert on this table.

I tried a thousand things : use a DataSet, not put my NumProspect column (primary key) on visible=false, even not put any personnalization (no styles, no columns position changes, ...). No ameliorations...

Thanks for your help.

0
Strato
3/21/2007 9:44:37 PM

Hi, Strato:

You can fix your problem through this FAQ:

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1172520.aspx

This thread is mentioning about one (delete) is working and the other (edit) is not. Let's see what is the issue here.

Limno

0
limno
3/21/2007 9:59:22 PM

It worked! Thank you!

Sorry to have polluted this thread. I thought I had the same problem.

One last question : if Microsoft engineers know this problem, why don't they release a patch? I lost my whole day working on this issue...Sad

0
Strato

Gridview : How to Edit the row in Gridview (update)
I have Gridview in which I'm displaying the row, I wanted to update/Modify the row  using custom button not with the link 'Edit' when I enable AutoGenerateEditButton ="true" Whenever user clicks on the Button, (ImageButton), it has to fire the event 'Gridview1_RowEditing'  Any help on this will be appreciated.    Your ImageButton simply needs to have its CommandName property set to "Edit".Thanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET  I am using one such logic, <asp:TemplateField HeaderText="Edit" Show...

After hitting update on gridview, data changes but gridview still shows the update and cancel links for edited row
Really weird. I click the update link after I change the input data. I debug through it and it shows that the update is complete but then when OnRowUpdating function is done the update and cancel links are still there. What else do I need to do.. Here is the code. ASP:  <asp:GridView ID="OOWSecAuth" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="false" ShowFooter="true" AutoGenerateEditButton="true" OnRowEditing="OOWSecAuthEdit" OnRowUpdating="OOWSecAuthUpdate" ...

Updating and binding control to other controls within the same row of a GridView
HiIn the EditTemplate of my GridView I show 2 DropDownLists. When the user selects the first dropdownlist, I need it to update the contents of the second dropdownlist. I have my Subs that do this fine when not inside the GridView, but what is the correct way to do it whilst they are in the GridView?This is my current attempt that returns the error 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'. I presume its related to correctly targeting the DropDownList in question? This is my GridView:<asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server"  &...

GridView : how to Highlight the last edited Row in gridview and update Dropdrown
never mine i solve the prob. thanks Hi there,I think you are determining the edited row as:int index = GridView1.EditIndex;After finishing the update you must doing GridView1.DataBind();With in your update procedure last statement should be:GridView1.SelectedIndex = index;If you want to update the dropdown just say:DropDownList1.Items.Clear();DropDownList1.DataBind();Hope this helps,thanks,Murthy here Dont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have be...

why can't Gridview update if empty data is presented into the textfield of Gridview edit
 HI all,I have basically two fields which are Name,description. Whenever I was trying to edit fields(name, description) the command event is not firing because description(textbox) is empty. Why and how to fix this issuse. Because Name field is a required one and description is optional it could be empty one. Any help please thanks and regards,Vijaycanaan.  Can you please give your code. This can help us understand and solve your problem!! Here is the code   <asp:GridView ID="GridView1" runat="server" AllowPaging="True" Aut...

how to edit,update row in gridview
plz send me sample code for gridview edit and update row.  U can find everything about grid view here..http://www.gridviewguy.com/CategoryDetails.aspx?categoryID=2_Datagrid,_DataList_and_Repeator_Control Hope it helps.-Manas=======================================If this post is useful to you, please mark it as answer. jeevanmummadi:plz send me sample code for gridview edit and update row. If using ADO.NEThttp://www.aspdotnetcodes.com/GridView_Insert_Edit_Update_Delete.aspxIf using SqlDataSourcehttp://www.codersource.net/asp_net_grid_view_whidbey.aspx More about Data Acce...

edit and update a gridview control
Hi, Here's my question: The gridview shows all the items the student has already learned. Can the gridview be updated to add new data? For instance, the user wants to add another piece of item to learn and give a brief reason? I will add the dropdownlist and textbox control to the gridview (in edit mode, I assume)The dropdownlist will be bound to a datasource. Once the user has made a selection and typed a reason in the textbox, they will update the gridview to show what they have done. AFter they see that, they click a button which will launch a new page with the gridvi...

How do I fix a Edit GridView Error
Hello, I keep getting this error when I edit and update a gridview.   Server Error in '/Albers_website' Application. Updating is not supported by data source 'SqlHAPSource' unless UpdateCommand is specified. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.NotSupportedException: Updating is not supported by data source 'SqlHAPSource' unless UpdateCommand is specified.Source Error: [NotSupporte...

Multiple Row Editing and Updating on Gridview
I have a gridview control which display data using SQL Data reader depending on users search criteria. I want users to edit and update multiple or single entries on gridview, how can I make this possbile? any good example I can follow? How can records received from Sql Data Reader  displayed on gridview directly in editing mode.       To do any sort of editing you will need to switch from a DataReader to a DataSet.  A data reader is a forward only, read only way to access data.  Using a dataset, you can very easily update a row at a time.&nb...

Update a gridview row without edit
Hi! I work with C # I want update my columns in my GridView without going through edit : for each row I click update button to update the line how? Thank you. This is easy enough to do. First, you need to add your input controls into TemplateFields instead of BoundFields. Secondly, you then need to add your own Update Button within another TemplateField setting the CommandName property to something of your choosing. Next, capture this event within the the GridView.RowCommand handler and update your row accordingly.Thanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET Check this article t...

GridView control Updating modified Row
Hi,   I am working on a .NET 3.5 project using Gridview control. I have dropdowncolumn in my GridView control. User can change the selection in the dropdown. I want to update the modified rows to the Database. How to check if a row is modified in GridView? Thanks Ashok Hi Ashok, the GridView control has its own mechanism for updating and deleting rows.Have a look at this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c4245bb4.aspx (Modifying Data in a GridView Web Server Control).  Much ado about nothing Hi ashok.k, You can use the RowUpdating event of the gridvie...

GridView Update Then Edit Next Row
I'm trying to figure out how to move directly into editing the next row of a GridView.  I have some code that saves the update when the Enter key is pressed, http://forums.asp.net/p/1407113/3067478.aspx#3067478 but I can't get the next row to go into edit mode upon postback.I've tried appending this to the Enter javascript,string evt2 = Page.ClientScript.GetPostBackClientHyperlink(sender as GridView, "Edit$" + iNewNavigate.ToString());I've also tried setting the EditIndex in RowUpdating, RowUpdated and Page_LoadGridView1.EditIndex = NewEditIndex (current row pl...

Web resources about - GridView does not update editable row - asp.net.presentation-controls

GridView SelectedItem Binding Gotcha in WinRT
Last night when I was doing some WinRT hacking I was trying to setup databinding to the selected item in the GridView control and I ran into ...

CNW Group
Home Services Beyond the Wire About CNW Financials Webcasts Events My CNW All News Releases Advanced Search Gridview Latest News Releases All ...

CNW Group
... Services Beyond the Wire About CNW my CNW CNW Access CNW Directories Financials Webcasts Events my CNW All News Releases Advanced Search Gridview ...

CNW Group
Home Services Beyond the Wire About CNW Financials Webcasts Events My CNW All News Releases Add a Filter Gridview Latest News Releases All Today ...

New CmdLets of Powershell 2.0
New CmdLets of Powershell 2.0

Price Drop: Softbox
... objects- create product reflection- changing the background with something more interestingUse it as:- softbox- honeycomb softbox- gridview ...

Profile.aspx: ASP Alliance

Quick Answers - CodeProject
Questions - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 25 Oct 2012

DotNetKicks.com - Upcoming stories
DotNetKicks.com is a community based news site edited by our members. It specialises in .NET development techniques, technologies and tools including ...

View Features - ExtendASP
Call 847-681-9827 or Request a Demo View Features Testimonials Pricing About Us Coming Soon ExtendASP exposes every feature, more than any other ...