Direct editing of gridView or Ddatagrid controls without clicking on an EDIT link

I have an application where lots of data is presented to the user in a gridView control and the user needs the option to review and overwrite any values in the cells of the grid.  My users find it very annoying and time consuming to click on an edit link to turn a row of the gridView into edit mode.  Typically, they might jump around and edit a few values in several rows.

Is there any way to present the data in a gridView control, datagrid control or something that looks like a grid where the entire grid is already in edit mode?  Can you make a grid that contain edit boxes that are directly editable?

Currently the gridView is being bound and populated with data from a SQL query, but it doesn't matter if the edits are saved back anywhere so unbinding and manually populating the grid is fine if that would help.

Thanks,

David

0
davidgreenbe

Yes - quite simple

Use text boxes for all presented data - in the first page load, lets assume the grid is bound and data rendered to the client

Users edit the text boxes and perform some post back (a SAVE, or GOTO another page, or a SORT, etc)

When the page is posted back, the grid is re-created for you with the new data, this has happened by the page load event

The, simply iterate each row of the grid (these are the displayed rows - should you have multiple pages) in the page load event of a subsequent postback and save the values returned.

At this point you might want to consider checking when rows have changed data - so you could look at using a text boxes OnChangedEvent.  You could also use javscript too

I have used this many times in VS2003 and VS2005 as I like you find the standard edit actions annoying for other than simple tasks - and even then...

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
0
sbyard

GridView control enters edit mode only when I click Edit link twice
Hi all..I have a GridView control in an ASP.NET 2.0 page. I added a column that contains edit, update, cancel buttons. Because I did that, I had to handle RowEditing event or an exception was thrown.Well... this is the body of the RowEditing event:protected void gvParametros_RowEditing(object sender, GridViewEditEventArgs e){      gvParametros.EditIndex = e.NewEditIndex;}The fact is that when page is loaded and I click the edit link, page is refreshed but GridView doesn't enter edit mode. When I press edit link again, GridView enters edit mode.Any help to solve this behavior w...

GridView: editing without clicking edit link
Hi guys, I'd like to edit the content of the gridview without using 'edit' link. User can just click the cell and edit the data. Any links or thoughts would be appreciate.I can do it! Well, I have not tried but take a look at this: http://www.targetprocess.com/blog/2007/10/grid-inline-editing-using-aspnet-ajax.html Other than these, there are 3rd party grids which let you do MS Excel like editing. A Google search will help.Mark replies as answers if they helped you solve the problem. I don't want to pay for the control. Googled, but no luck. Any ideas?I can do it! ...

Is there really an easy way to click and edit a cell value at run time (without having to click on Edit and Update links) in GridView?
 Link for an answer is broken. Anyway I want know just that. RegardsLeif  I'm talking with absolutely no knowledge, but why not to trigger "onblur" event in the client textbox and forward it to whatever the edit-and-update links go?...

IWDBEdit control set to IWDBGridColumn.Control not editable [Edit]
Hi folks. I'm relatively new to IntraWeb and am having trouble with my application. It is a simple app that is supposed to show a list of user accounts in a grid and allow the user to edit data in the accounts. I have a TADOQuery connecting to MS SQL, with 'Select * from UserAccounts' as the sql text. I have a TDataSource with the Dataset property pointing to my TADOQuery object. Both of these objects exist as part of the UserSession. On my main form, I have an IWDBGrid, IWDBNavigator, and an IWDBEdit control. They are all hooked up to the TDatasource in the UserSessi...

Edit data with GridView Control ? or another control ? help
I use GrivView in ASP.Net 2.0 to show data from DataTable. And i want to edit some fields in some rows. How can I do it? If i touch EDIT button - all columns, which have ReadOnly=false, switch into EDIT mode. But I want, that in first raw I can edit 2,3 column and in second row only 3 column. How can I do it ? ...

Handling control events while in edit mode for a gridview control
I have a dropdownlist and checkbox in a single column of a gridview. While the row is in edit mode, I want to set the visibility of the checkbox based on the value selected in the dropdown list. I can do this easily enough  when the row is first put into edit mode, but how do I access the dropdown list's change event when the row is already sitting there in edit mode? Thanks for any help you can provide.   Penny Penny, Just create a SelectedIndexChanged event like below. Create a row object for the currently edited row, find the checkbox you want to control, then set the Visib...

Edit GridView without template control
 I have a gridview but need to bulk edit the gridview via a event from a button.  Not sure how to go about doing that.  Any examples or ideas?   Thanks,  http://www.gridviewguy.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?articleID=219_GridView_All_Rows_in_Edit_ModeGive a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him forever.  Yeah I tried that or something similar and could not get it to work.  When it binds back to the grid its empty and not a textbox.   can you show us the code what you tried? so that we will do necessary...

Gridview Edit go to new page and enter Edit mode on a formview control.
Okay, so far I have the edit button go to a page called update.aspx. And have the ID selected. However, I don't want it to be in selected view, I want it to go to the update.aspx page in edit mode not selected mode. Is this possible? You can add one hyperlink and set its path to update.aspx?Id=(selectedId)on update.aspx read Id's value from querystring and do updation - Hardik (Software Developer,Surat,India)Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. You lost me at the "do updation part" so far I have a the EDIT link go to ...

How can I allow a user without edit permission to access a control which is of type edit?
Hello,I have a module which allows a user with Edit permission to add a new record or update a record in the database.  I would also like to be able to allow user's without Edit permission to Add and Update records they created.In the view module's "ModuleActions" method I can add the following action:actions.Add(GetNextActionID(), Localization.GetString(ModuleActionType.AddContent, LocalResourceFile), ModuleActionType.AddContent, "", "", EditUrl(), False, DotNetNuke.Security.SecurityAccessLevel.View, True, False) This allows the user's without Edit permission to see the "Add Recor...

ListView onclick edit row without Edit link problem (GridView worked...)
Hello,I was initially using a GridView to enable row editing when any element of the row was clicked.  I'm using this control inside an UpdatePanel for partial-page postbacks.  This was basically accomplished by: protected void GridView1_RowDataBound(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e) {//... if (e.Row.RowType == DataControlRowType.DataRow) { string jsCommand = string.Format("if ({2} != {1}) __doPostBack('{0}','Edit${1}')", GridView1.ID, e.Row.RowIndex, GridView1.EditIndex); foreach (TableCell c in e.Row.Cells) { // OnClick enable the e...

GridView editing without using data source controls?
I am binding my gridview without using a datasource control and instead doing it in the code behind. However, I would like to use the inline editing features of the gridview. Could someone please point me to an example that does gridview editing/updating 'manually' in the code behind? Thanks,Tim just create an object data source on your page and point it to a Class that acts as a BLL . in that class make public methods like: updateTHECLASS()insertTHECLASS()deleteTHECLASS() and in the object data sources insert, update, and delete methods put in those public methods you made in...

GridView and Javascript
Hey All, I need help from  you. I have a GridView. In the  Edit Item template of the first Column I have a textbox, an user control and hidden field. When I click on the user control it  opens a pop up from which I can choose the required value. The text value is populated in the textbox and Id in the hidden field. Here's the code for edit template.         <EditItemTemplate>                        <table cellpaddin...

Web resources about - Direct editing of gridView or Ddatagrid controls without clicking on an EDIT link - asp.net.presentation-controls