Allow editing of all rows simultaniously (without having to click edit/update for each row)?

I have an application where the user will be presented with perhaps 20 rows.  1 field of each row (the score) will need to be updated by the user.

Now with a gridview they would click on the first row's EDIT button then make the change for the Score field and then click update.

Having to do this ~20 times would be somewhat annoying for the user :)

 Is there any way I can get an Excel like behavior where the user can just click on the first row's Score field then enter the integer score and hit tab or down arrow or something and drop down to the next one and keep on moving until they are all edited?

Similar to how in VS 2008 in the Server Explorer tab you can go Show Table Data and then all the fields let you edit them by just clicking on them?

0
Maxer_Ars

Yeah, look at putting textboxes in the control instead of labels and handling the saving programmatically.  You should be able to do everything programmatically with the GridView control except custom paging.... then you would have to extend the control and throw in your own paging control to store the "vitrualitemcount".

Joseph Baggett

http://www.myitstudio.com

MCSD, MCPD: Web Developer, MCITP: Database Developer, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, MCTS: .NET 2.0 Web Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications, MCAD, MCP

If the project doesn't work, blame Scott Guthrie and/or refer to the problem solving flowsheet. O.~
0
Joseph
4/9/2008 5:03:44 PM

Hmm... that makes sense.

I don't need to page this control because they have to see all 20 fields at the same time anyway.

So I'll use text boxes and the person can just change them all and then I'll make a SUBMIT /SAVE (whatever) button then tell LINQ to update all the rows...

I'll give that a shot, thank you,

0
Maxer_Ars

Row editing without edit button.
I am using Gridview.  I am edting a row with edit button but I need  edit row directly in grid  without using Edit button. If possible please help me.  ...

Update datagrid row about editing row in an popup window
I have a datagrid with a linkbutton that calls the dgGrid_ItemCommand procedure in the code behind. In this procedure I use the response.write to open a popup window with an custom user control to update the selected row of the datagrid. My popup window/custom user control works great and I have no problem closing the popup window after updating. I can refresh the datagrid prior to closing the popup. BUT this causes a problem, because my datagrid has paging enabled and when you refresh the grid/parent window(window.opener.location.href) it just reloads that page displaying the grid ba...

Is there really an easy way to click and edit a cell value at run time (without having to click on Edit and Update links) in GridView?
 Link for an answer is broken. Anyway I want know just that. RegardsLeif  I'm talking with absolutely no knowledge, but why not to trigger "onblur" event in the client textbox and forward it to whatever the edit-and-update links go?...

Update a gridview row without edit
Hi! I work with C # I want update my columns in my GridView without going through edit : for each row I click update button to update the line how? Thank you. This is easy enough to do. First, you need to add your input controls into TemplateFields instead of BoundFields. Secondly, you then need to add your own Update Button within another TemplateField setting the CommandName property to something of your choosing. Next, capture this event within the the GridView.RowCommand handler and update your row accordingly.Thanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET Check this article t...

How to get the data of a particular row in gridview without editing that row.
I have a gridview in a page in that ihave hyperlink as one column on click of that i want to go next page with the data present in that corresponding row. How shell i read the data from grid view for that pirticular row.On which event i can get the data. HI, the row that is selected should be passed into a string or an array or in sessionsthis can be done through this code  protected void GridView1_SelectedIndexChanging(object sender, GridViewSelectEventArgs e)    {        Label _lbl = new Label();      &...

Direct editing of gridView or Ddatagrid controls without clicking on an EDIT link
I have an application where lots of data is presented to the user in a gridView control and the user needs the option to review and overwrite any values in the cells of the grid.  My users find it very annoying and time consuming to click on an edit link to turn a row of the gridView into edit mode.  Typically, they might jump around and edit a few values in several rows.  Is there any way to present the data in a gridView control, datagrid control or something that looks like a grid where the entire grid is already in edit mode?  Can you make a grid that cont...

How to switch a entire gridview1 into edit mode instead of clicking the edit button on each row?
Hello, I have a gridview1 that opens up via a sqldatasource and to edit each field, I have to manually click edit on each row.  Please suggest a way to switch the entire gridview1 into edit mode after the page opens.  Thank you in advance,  ptown check out this sample: http://www.aspnet101.com/aspnet101/aspnet/codesample.aspx?code=gvfullyeditableDavid WierMCP/ASPInsiderASPNet101.com - where to look first!Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!Control Grouper - easily control properties for multiple controls with one control!Cale...

How can I allow a user without edit permission to access a control which is of type edit?
Hello,I have a module which allows a user with Edit permission to add a new record or update a record in the database.  I would also like to be able to allow user's without Edit permission to Add and Update records they created.In the view module's "ModuleActions" method I can add the following action:actions.Add(GetNextActionID(), Localization.GetString(ModuleActionType.AddContent, LocalResourceFile), ModuleActionType.AddContent, "", "", EditUrl(), False, DotNetNuke.Security.SecurityAccessLevel.View, True, False) This allows the user's without Edit permission to see the "Add Recor...

ListView onclick edit row without Edit link problem (GridView worked...)
Hello,I was initially using a GridView to enable row editing when any element of the row was clicked.  I'm using this control inside an UpdatePanel for partial-page postbacks.  This was basically accomplished by: protected void GridView1_RowDataBound(object sender, GridViewRowEventArgs e) {//... if (e.Row.RowType == DataControlRowType.DataRow) { string jsCommand = string.Format("if ({2} != {1}) __doPostBack('{0}','Edit${1}')", GridView1.ID, e.Row.RowIndex, GridView1.EditIndex); foreach (TableCell c in e.Row.Cells) { // OnClick enable the e...

How to allow edit a row in Gridview without using CommandField?
Hi all, I have a textbox and a Dropdownlist in a Gridview.  Based on certain selected value of the dropdownlist, the textbox will be enable for editing.  Then, I need to re-calculate the values of all dropdownlists.   I was able to do all of that with the CommandField already.  However, since I have a lot of rows in the gridview, if I use the CommandField, the user will have to click the Edit button everytime he/she wants to edit a row.   Are there anyway I could do what I described without the button in my asp. 2.0 page?  Sample codes are apprec...

datagrid .net 1.1: edit/update row
 I need to write the code for editing a row for a datagrid in .net 1.1  User can only change one field and that filed should contain a ddl with two options.  When user selects an option it should update that record with that value (once update link is clicked).  Thanks for any examples on this. Hi newbieAl, Have a look at this article about using DropDownList to update data in DataGrid: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/webforms/MultiColDdList.aspx Thanks,Qin Dian TangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unm...

Whith highlighting/selecting a row functionality I cannot edit the text boxes after clicking the edit command
The gridview row gets highlighted when hovering the pointer or clicking on a row. However, the tooltip for the edit/cancel/update buttons are not shown and when I click the edit button, the textbox for each field does not show a cursor so I can't edit. The code below shows the javascript for the mouse styles, asp for the edit template field and c# code. If I don't use the highlighting row functionality, i can edit the fields as per normal. Does anyone else come across this?<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"> var oldgridSele...

Gridview row click event fires, when clicking on controls within row.
I have a gridview control and I have added  a row click event which causes a post back. e.Row.Attributes.Add("onClick", this.Page.ClientScript.GetPostBackEventReference(this, "Select$" + e.Row.RowIndex.ToString()));  When the user clicks the row, i bind some data to a checkbox list, showing a uers a list of options they have chosen. All good so far. I also have a edit button for each row. When the row is in edit mode i display a checkbox and textbox. Problem is when i click on the textbox or the checkbox, it causes the row click event to fire. Any ida...

Web resources about - Allow editing of all rows simultaniously (without having to click edit/update for each row)? - asp.net.presentation-controls

Dragon Quest XI is simultaniously classic and modern
We already knew that the 3DS version of Dragon Quest XI allows players to explore in 2D sprites and 3D polygons at the same time, but seeing ...

Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Lentebriesje @ Lentebriesje The ...

The truth about John Lennon's murder. By Steve Lightfoot
Reveals government codes in major magazines, Including the killers face, and true identity. Mark Chapman's name attached to a letter a Nixon, ...

Chevrolet reveals new Holden Spark
... than before thanks to a longer wheelbase, the Spark also has a lower roofline intended to lend a sleek silhouette. The new car was simultaniously ...

New Notifyr app seamlessly makes your iOS notifications appear on your Mac
We’ve come across a new service called Notifyr that, in short, makes your iOS Device notifications automatically simultaniously appear as notifications ...

Algoriddim » Pre-cueing with Griffin DJ Cable and DJ Connect
The basic process of DJing is to seamlessly mix the playing track into the next track. And to do this successfully, you need to be able to pre-listen ...

Microsoft Announces That Windows 10 Will Launch On July 29
... release date for Windows 10 has now been set for July 29, less than two months from now. According to the blog post, Microsoft will be simultaniously ...

Haile Selassie - Emperor Yohannis IV
Emperor Yohannis IV was born Kassa Mercha, son of Dejazmatch Mercha, Shum of Tembien, and his wife Woizero Silass. Dejazmatch Mercha was the ...

Bikini ScienceIn the Beginning
"Obviously, the bathing suit is irrelevant to any activity in and under water. It neither keeps us dry or warm, nor is it an aid to swimming. ...