Migrating From Dev to Production Machine #2

I have just decided on using ASP.NET Portal Starter kit and have started customizing it to do what I need it to do.  This portal rocks!

What is the process for moving this from my development machine to my actual production machine?
1 - Copy all content to wwwroot
2 - Use DTS to migrate databases (What exactly am I doing in this step?)
3 - ???? What else?
I am using Windows Auth so I shouldn't need to migrate users.
Anything else that isn't stored in the content directory or that can be migrated by using DTS?
Is there a whitepaper that walks through the possible problems?
Thanks!
0
robinmthomas
11/14/2003 9:39:22 PM
asp.net.portal-starter-kit 2189 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"1 - Copy all content to wwwroot"

Not necessarilly, if you define a virtual dir (MyPortalStarterkit) in IIS.
"2 - Use DTS to migrate databases"
DTS wizard enables you to move YourDB.ldf & YourDB.mdf files to your production machine.
See C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data directory
"3 - ???? What else?"
(SQL Server) Client Network Utility (for server alias, TCP/IP protocol...)
DNN skins Forum
Tressleworks modules
DNN & webhosting
IEWCtrls
0
bill2clone
11/18/2003 2:20:51 PM
Let me rephrase...

When I am moving from my dev machine using the local IIS and a local SQL Server to a production machine, I need to take into account the following things
1 - I need to move the content (whereever it exists)
2 - I need to move the databases to the production SQL machine - I thought this was done via DTS.
3 - Is there anything else I need to move, setup, configure to get the production webserver up and running with the content, data that I had on my development machine.
As for the Client Network Utility, isn't that install by default, do I need to do anything special there?
0
robinmthomas
11/18/2003 4:50:16 PM
If you are using Visual Studio NET, there is a function to copy a web application to another server. I've deployed a project or two this way. Works fine.

Regarding database, moving development database to production server is not (IMHO) the way to go. I handled the databases through scripting the development database and recreating the database on the production database. I would set it up using a script to generate the database with regard to existing objects. Next, I would create a script which populates the database with required data. This makes a barebone portal.
You will need to adjust web.config to match the production server environmnet (SQL Connection etc). If the SQL Server is on the production server itself (same as the IIS), I would no doubt go for integrated security.
You may need to install third party web controls if used in your project.
Best regard
0
Benny
11/19/2003 8:30:19 AM
Thanks for the reply...Can you provide more information about migrating the databases and the data?

How did you generate these scripts? Was it something you wrote by hand?
robinmthomas
11/19/2003 6:32:23 PM
The scripts were based on original I Buy Spy portal sql scripts and adjusted when needed. Besides, the whole script was reauthored to allow dynamic testing of whether or not objects were created at an earlier state (in order to allow enhancements of existing database).

Query Analyzer can generate DDL scripts to create the database, but not the data.
At http://www.rac4sql.net, you can find a utility (QALite) that can generate the script and insert statements for data.
0
Benny
11/20/2003 8:02:12 AM
robinmthomas -

I find that the easiest way is to make a backup of your dev DB.
Go to Enterprise Manager > right-click the DB and select All Tasks > Backup database
Then go to your prod server, same process, but Restore database.
All data and objects will be copied.
Make sure when you backup that you select whatever checkboxes are required in the Options Tab, such as Triggers etc.
HTH,
Steve
0
dickies
11/20/2003 2:00:11 PM
Thanks dickies, I thought I was the only one to be keen on SQL Server Tools.   ;)

(though osql cmds are quite useful too)
DNN skins Forum
Tressleworks modules
DNN & webhosting
IEWCtrls
0
bill2clone
11/20/2003 3:21:33 PM
Yeah, that's even easier than using DTS.

Thanks guys! So here is my plan to move from Dev to Production:

1 - Backup/Restore SQL Database via Enterprise Manager
2 - Copy web content (ASPX, DLL, CS) to the new webserver
3 - Change my web.config to point to the new database
Does that sound like I have my bases covered?
0
robinmthomas
11/20/2003 4:55:58 PM
Forget about putting any code-behind on the prod box.

All of the code is compiled into your dll(s), so make any changes on the dev box, recompile, and keep updating the dll(s) on the prod box as well as any aspx ascx files.
HTH,
Steve
0
dickies

Portal Starter Kit / .NET 2.0 Version / Web Client Software Factory Version
I have started to refactor the initial starter kit. The database schema is still the same for compatibility reasons. http://www.codeplex.com/ASPNETPortal Features Dynamic Portal Infrastructure 10 basic portal modules for common types of content 2 extra portal modules: RSS Feed and Wiki A "pluggable" framework that is simple to extend with custom portal modules Online administration of portal layout, content and security XML based definition of portal layout Database based definition of portal layout Roles-based security for viewing content, editing content, ...

Differences between the Club Starter Kit, Club Starter Kit 2.0, and Extended Club Starter Kit
I'm a little confused as the the differences between these 3 starter kits, can someone point the differences out to me?Victor Corey I picked the first one, because I thought that it would be the easiest and least complicated to understand and work with.  I have the same question.  You posted this some time ago, I guess nobody knows.  I am only posting this so it will show up again, and maybe someone will address it.  Thanks. I don't know about the extended, but I worked with the Club Site Starter Kit for several days and got stuck when needing to actually get ...

IBuySpy Portal and Portal Starter Kit Security Issue #2
Yesterday we became aware of a security vulnerability in two of our sample applications: the IBuySpy Portal and the Portal Starter Kit. We have temporarily removed the IBuySpy Portal sample download and are actively working on an update. An updated Portal Starer Kit sample (version 1.0b) is now available which fixes the problem for that sample. This email provides the steps to immediately fix existing sites and mitigate the potential for a malicious attack. Who is vulnerable? -- Any version of the VB.NET IBuySpy Portal sample configured to use html forms authentication. -- A...

Downloads are for .net 3.5 but all the starter kits are .net 2.0!?!?
I assume I'm missing something, but after downloading the installer for the latest products - web developer, etc, I downloaded some starter kits, dotnetnuke, the soccer club deal, and a couple others. Of course, none of them would compile and some use solutions, which apparently, express doesn't handle. Why are the starter kits here, as resources, if they aren't compatible with the products available on this site? If I'm suppposed to use an older version of studio express, which one and where do I get it?  I think the run time of 3.5 is same as 2.0, because 3.5 buid on...

When I deleted PortalCfg.xsd,the Portal Starter Kit can still work normally.Then What is the use of PortalCfg.xsd in Portal Starter Kit?
Thanks! The purpose of PortalCfg.xsd is to make the layout and validate the PortalCfg.xml! The struct of PortalCfg.xml is based on PortalCfg.xsdregards João Martins...

Portal Starter Kit #2
Hi guys, I just downloaded the portal starter kit. I am newbie to .net programming therefore this is really tough yet impressive application. Can someone tell me if there is any site that has a step by step tutorial for this application? The whitepaper dont explain much. it would be really nice if someoene posted step by step tutorial so we can understand this much better. Thanks Manny Open every page step by step and read the code. thats funny...join the club...

Migrating From Dev to Production Machine
I have just decided on using ASP.NET Portal Starter kit and have started customizing it to do what I need it to do. What is the process for moving this from my development machine to my actual production machine? 1 - Copy all content to wwwroot 2 - Use DTS to migrate databases (What exactly am I doing in this step?) 3 - ???? What else? I am using Windows Auth so I shouldn't need to migrate users. Anything else that isn't stored in the content directory or that can be migrated by using DTS? Thanks! Go to project -> copy project and select copy only files needed to ru...

use portal starter kit with community starter kit
I am using the portalvbsdk and community starterkit but both have different user login database, is it possible to connect both starter kits with only one user login panel? Sorry, I am very new with ASP.NET I don't think so. The permissions in portal are different than permissions in community. If a person only logs in one and not the other, the permission settings will always be wrong for the one which has no login. ...

Portal Starter Kit Using for production site
Hi           I can't understand the licencing for using of portal for production.  Can the any body explain me using of portal with the little customice pages for production site is leagle or not.Bamu All the Starter Kits are complimentary building blocks, which makes it easy for Asp.Net developers to start developing their own applications. You may alter the look and content of the Application, add your own solutions to it, and ultimately use the end result in production without having to pay any licensing fees. So, yes, it's totally ...

starter kit if .Net version 2.0
Hi all,I want to download and use the starter kit but I have VS2005 and .Net version 2.0 instead of 1.1. I have no clear idea of version compatibility. Please advice me. HiIt should load into Vs 2005 and run with no problem however you will get dozens of warnings about such things as Web Config Appsetting being obselete and to use Configuration manager, but these are only warnings and due to backwards compatablity the code will still run, just change them when u get round to it  I opened in VS 2005. VS 2005 asked to convert it. I followed the vizard to convert but when I tried ...

.Net 3.5 and 2.0 on same dev machine
Hi all,   Is it possible to have .Net3.5 visual studio version and .net2.0 visual studio version on same machine?  I need to support older app which is in .net2.0 and i have to create a new app using .net3.5. Thanks in advance   regards Vivek Yes it is possible to install Visual studio 2008 and Visual studio 2005 on the same machine, I already installed both, However, if your problem is about building application using .net 2.0 or .net 3.5 you can use Visual studio 2008 and make use of the new multi target support feature , You can read all about it and how from th...

Does anyone know how to migrate the Portal Starter Kit to VS 2005?
I would like to use the Portal Starter Kit VBVS as a launching point for a new project.  It works fine in Visual Studio 2003, but when I try to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005, I get 56 errors.  Has anyone successfully migrated this project to 2005?  What are the "tircks" to get it back up and running?...

Error after converting Commerce Starter Kit to .Net 2.0
I opened the Commerce Starter Kit in VS.Net 2.0 Beta and allowed the conversion wizard to run. Afterwards when re-opening the project I get the error "Unable to open the Web "http://localhost/CommerceVBVS/CommerceVBVS.vbproj. The Web http://localhost/CommerceVBVS/CommerceVBVS.vbproj doe not exist"I'm lost on what to do to correct this. It did not occur until after the conversion.Can anyone advise me on this?TIA The upgrade wizard actually deletes this file, because in VS 2005 websites are now longer "projects".  Try opening the site as a "website" instead of a "project".  When op...

Corporate Site Starter Kit with CMS for .NET 2.0
Kentico Software releases Corporate Site Starter Kit for ASP.NET 2.0. You can use it as a template for creating a fully editable corporate web site with news, product catalog, on-line forms, newsletter, forums, image gallery and a simple store. The web site and the administration interface are available with source code in both VB.NET and C#. You can download it at http://www.kentico.com/cmsstarterkit.aspx Great News. Can someone please clarify that is it " TOTALLY FREE" like Personal starterkit, Club Starterkit and CommerceStaerkit, will full soucecode available, and no hidden char...

Web resources about - Migrating From Dev to Production Machine #2 - asp.net.portal-starter-kit

Post-production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Post-production is part of filmmaking and the video production process. It occurs in the making of motion pictures , television programs , radio ...

Grass fire at Strathnairn arts production facility near Holt
Fire burned through about 35 hectares of grassland in Canberra's north.

Grass fire at Strathnairn arts production facility near Holt
Fire burned through about 35 hectares of grassland in Canberra's north.

Study: Agency and Production Costs Keep Rising Despite Efforts to Cut Them
Agency, production and research costs make up around 40% of advertising budgets and around 20% of overall marketing budgets, and they're growing ...

Tesla Model X production line looks like a car factory
Filed under: Green , Plants/Manufacturing , Videos , Tesla , Crossover , Sedan , Electric , Luxury , Performance The Car Guide gets a video of ...

Industrial Production Declines Most in 3.5 Years, Down Eighth Time in Ten Months
Industrial production shocked to the downside this morning with a drop of 0.6%, the most in 3.5 years vs. an Econoday Consensus guess of -0.2%. ...

Industrial Production and Capacity Utilization - Business Insider Deutschland
Economists had estimated that unseasonably warm weather contributed to a decline in industrial production in November

BitFury Announces Mass Production of Fastest and Most Effective 16nm ASIC Chip in the World
BitFury Group announced mass-production of its full-custom design 16nm Application Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) Chip, which will bring ...

Fed: Industrial Production decreased 0.6% in November
From the Fed: Industrial production and Capacity Utilization Industrial production declined 0.6 percent in November after decreasing 0.4 percent ...

BREAKING NEWS x 2: Tesla Model X Production Kicks Into High Gear
... up Model Xs in delivery vehicles and preparing to get them out to the eager folks on the [&hellip BREAKING NEWS x 2: Tesla Model X Production ...