Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.

Hi All,

I am using Sql server 2005 and VS 2005 C#.

Can anybody explain howz solve this prob?

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.

Source Error:

Line 3496:            get {
Line 3497:                try {
Line 3498:                        return ((string)(this[this.tableemployee_info.name_araColumn]));
Line 3499:                }
Line 3500:                catch (System.InvalidCastException e) {

Source File: c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\nops\d088b983\a1b5a251\App_Code.9_koxzex.4.cs    Line: 3498

the actual function/property is as follows.

[System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCodeAttribute()]
        public string name_ara {
            get {
                try {
                        return ((string)(this[this.tableemployee_info.name_araColumn]));
                }
                catch (System.InvalidCastException e) {
                    throw new System.Data.StrongTypingException("The value for column \'name_ara\' in table \'employee_info\' is DBNull.", e);
                }
            }
            set {
                this[this.tableemployee_info.name_araColumn] = value;
            }
        }

I used inside the try{....} as ((this[this.tableemployee_info.name_araColumn]) ? "" : this[this.tableemployee_info.name_araColumn]);

but it returns error.

Howz solve this prob?

Brotherly

~FAAS

0
faas1

You are trying to convert the null value column into string which is not allowed. Keep a null check before you try to convert it.

if ( this[this.tableemployee_info.name_araColumn] != DBNull.Value )
{
   // do something....
}

Thanks

Mark post(s) as "Answer" that helped you

Electronic Screw
Website||Blog||Dub@i.net
0
e_screw

I received this error mesg.

StrongTypingException was unhandled by user code

The value for column 'name_ara' in table 'employee_info' is DBNull

 any idea to solve this?

~FAAS

0
faas1
5/2/2007 8:01:10 AM
Could you post your code, where you are getting this exception?

Thanks
Mark post(s) as "Answer" that helped you

Electronic Screw
Website||Blog||Dub@i.net
0
e_screw

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'
Hello , I am a data table with null able Columns.I am not able to catch the value for DBNull. I did set a value to be returned as empty in dataset. Here is the code where i am trying to catch.1 public List GetStores() 2 { 3 List tmpStore = new List(); 4 StoresService.shopDBDataSet.StoresDataTable stores = 5 storesService.GetStores(); 6 for (int i = 0; i < stores.Count ; i++) 7 { 8 Store store = new Store(); 9 store.StoreID = stores[i].StoreID...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'
I have received the following error when I am logged in as administrator.  I wanted to test the load event feature.  Allows me to load and save new event.  I can view event on location view page but when I try to link to "list or calender" view I receive this error "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.  Debug highlights the <asp:HyperlinkID as errored line. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated Brian   <DayEventTemplate> <div style="padding: 3px;"> <asp:Hyper...

Update error , "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'" , using DataSet as a datasource
Hi All, The following sample code is for testing dw.UpdateData using dataset as the data source. The data retrieval and display part under Form1_Load works fine. However, inputting some values in a new row and calling dw.UpdateData causes the following error: "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'" The error seems to occur when a datawindow column value has been changed from null value. Does anyone know how to fix the error ? Thank you for your advice. I use DW2.5 (build 8542), VS2005 pro, MS SQL Express. ...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'. #2
I am getting this error when I try to run the code below. The error is happening on the last for each loop || foreach (string s in dr.ItemArray) || Please see below:        private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)        {            string myOutput = "";            DataTable dt = new DataTable();            using (TextReader tr = File.O...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'. #2
 Hi:I am totally new to asp.net and downloaded the club website project. I have not done anything to the events page yet but as soon as i tried to add an event I got the following error. "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'." Can someone help me out here?ThanksBrian  This bug has been covered in the Identified Bugs and fixes section.  http://forums.asp.net/t/970081.aspx There are a few solutions and discussions on fixes, you will need to read through it to find the fix. Support@aspsksolutions.com Without kno...

Eventcalender: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.
 I added an event in the eventcalender. When I try to view the events_calender.aspx I get this error message, what can be wrong??   Server Error in '/bfc_csk' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.Source Err...

System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.Byte[]'.
Hi All, I am trying to retrieve a Picture from an SQL 2005 database. Here is my code:Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load Dim ListingID As String = (Request.QueryString("GUID")) 'Connect to the database and bring back the image contents & MIME type for the specified pictureUsing myConnection As New SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ConnectionStringListings").ConnectionString) Const SQL As String = "SELECT [Pic1Ext], [Picture1] FROM [Listings] WHERE [ListingID] = @ListingID"C...

"Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.String[]'."
hi i'm using the following statement in my applicationstring[] strTArray = new string[5]; strTArray = (string[])(Session["TextDataArray"]); when i run the application its giving the below error {"Unable to cast object of type 'System.String' to type 'System.String[]'."} can anyone say how to solve this thanks in advance Archu What are you storing in the TextDataArray session? What is the data type you are storing?   RegardsBilal Hadiar, MCP, MCTS, MCPD, MCTMicrosoft MVP - Telerik MVP...

Unable to cast object of type '<>f__AnonymousType1`3[System.Guid,System.String,System.String]' to type 'aspnet_User'.???
Hi everyone, What does this error mean?  ERROR: Unable to cast object of type '<>f__AnonymousType1`3[System.Guid,System.String,System.String]' to type 'aspnet_User'. Thank's a lot /PepePepe JoseNewbie@C#.Net&jRuby What type is in your DataItem?  A Guid? or a String?  Either way, it's telling you cant cast it to a aspnet_User type.  Let us know what your DataItem is and we can help further.Good Luck and happy programming!Let's build community! If my post helped you, mark it as the Answer and I will do the same when you help me.....

How do I get around this error "Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String' "
I am using Visual Developer 2008 Express Edition for the first time, and I keep getting the following error below. The site allows anyone to enter with a valid username and password, but even when I logoff the site I get the same error....like the memory or database is not getting refreshed. I would think that when I initially compile the site that anything left in memory would be flushed out. Can someone please help me to figure this out. Thanks,Ramell P.S. The site is programmed using C#    Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String&...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.String[]' to type 'System.IConvertible'.
hi expert   i try get the string from request.querystring("CID") from the error messege i know that is string[] (array) how to convert it to int32 and request.querystring("CID") is int value   Line 19: protected void ObjectDataSourceCarPicture_Inserting(object sender, ObjectDataSourceMethodEventArgs e) Line 20: { Line 21: e.InputParameters.Add("CID", Convert.ToInt32(Request.QueryString.GetValues("CID")) ); Line 22: // e.InputParameters.Add("CID", Convert.ToInt32( Convert.ToString( a Request.QueryString.GetValues("CID"))))); Line 23: ...

Web resources about - Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'. - asp.net.object-datasource