Trasaction problem (work in C# but not VB.NET)?

Hey!

I am building a unit test project and have tryed the transaction in C# like this:

            using (TransactionScope oTranScope = new TransactionScope())
            {
                //work to be done
                oTranScope.Complete();
            }

 This workes grate even when the databas operations is deep down in a object.

I have now moved on to imiplement this in a VB.NET project and the code for this is as fallows:

            Try
                Using scope As TransactionScope = New TransactionScope()

                    lUpdateStaffResult = maintenance.UpdateStaff(lUpdateStaffRequest)

                    Throw New Exception("test")
                End Using
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try

Apperently you have to throw a exception with in the transactionScope, else the complete will be executed? This should work either way, no data should be written to the database but it is? I have executed in debug mode to see what’s really happens, the data is added but never removed?

I am running against the same database (MS SQL 2000) with both the c# and the vb.net. The VB.net code is slightly more advance (communication between LogicLayer/webservices, ServiceLayer, busunessLayer,Data access layer and stored procedures) some of the Stored procedures uses MS SQL Transactions as well.

 Any idée why this won’t work?

0
SnowJim

I am not very good at VB, I was hoping somebody else will reply to you. But does not look like.

What I see in your code is that you are using inside a try that's why the exception

Remove the using, but make sure you call Dispose or Close

Cheers
Al
My Blog
MapStats.NET
Please click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
albertpascual
11/10/2006 1:44:45 AM

Hey!

I have now tryed the fallowing:

            scope = New TransactionScope()
            lUpdateStaffResult = maintenance.UpdateStaff(lUpdateStaffRequest)
            scope.Dispose()

 But this does not work? My test function looks like this:

    <DataSource("System.Data.SqlClient", "Data Source=X;Initial Catalog=X;User ID=X;Password=X", "personal", DataAccessMethod.Sequential)> <TestMethod()> _
    <AspNetDevelopmentServer("WSMaintenance", "X")> _
    Public Sub AddOneUser()
        Dim maintenance As New Maintenance()

        Dim lUpdateStaffRequest As UpdateStaffRequest
        Dim lUpdateStaffResult As UpdateStaffResult = Nothing

        Dim inactive As Boolean = False

        Dim scope As TransactionScope

        Try

            Assert.IsTrue(WebServiceHelper.TryUrlRedirection(maintenance, testContextInstance, "WSMaintenance"), "Web Service faild")

            lUpdateStaffRequest = New UpdateStaffRequest()

            Dim lSt(1) As UpdateStaffRequestStaff
            lSt(1) = New UpdateStaffRequestStaff()
            lSt(1).Name = TestContext.DataRow()("namn").ToString()
            lSt(1).ExternalStaffId = TestContext.DataRow()("externId").ToString()

            If (Integer.Parse(TestContext.DataRow()("inaktiv").ToString()) > 0) Then
                inactive = True
            End If

            lSt(1).Inactive = inactive
            lSt(1).StaffCategoryId = Integer.Parse(TestContext.DataRow()("personal_kategori_id").ToString()) '1 '10
            lSt(1).CivilRegistrationNumber = TestContext.DataRow()("personnr").ToString()
            lSt(1).Initials = TestContext.DataRow()("namn_kort").ToString()
            lSt(1).TelephoneNumber = TestContext.DataRow()("telefon").ToString()
            lSt(1).OtherInformation = TestContext.DataRow()("fritext").ToString()

            lUpdateStaffRequest.Staff = lSt

            lUpdateStaffRequest.Envelope = New EnvelopeType()
            lUpdateStaffRequest.Envelope.StartTime = DateTime.Now

            Try
                Using scope As TransactionScope = New TransactionScope()
                    lUpdateStaffResult = maintenance.UpdateStaff(lUpdateStaffRequest)
                    Throw New Exception("test")
                End Using
            Catch ex As Exception
            End Try

            Assert.IsNotNull(lUpdateStaffResult, "no returning value")
            Assert.AreEqual(True, validateEnvelope(lUpdateStaffResult.Envelope), "Envelope is not valid")

        Finally
            maintenance.Dispose()
        End Try
    End Sub

The maintenance.UpdateStaff(lUpdateStaffRequest) is going to the webservice that drills deep nown in the diffrent layers that ends with a Stored Procedure in a MS SQL Server.

According to this: http://www.codeguru.com/columns/vb/article.php/c11067/ it should work? I have tryed to do similiar things with C#(but with out layers and Stored procceduures) and this worked fine. This most mean that the MS SQL server is setup properly.

Pleas help

0
SnowJim
11/10/2006 8:22:05 AM

Hey again!

I have med some test with regular VB.NET class librarys and a unit test project and this works fine. I have now created a webservice and a unitTest project against it, it simes like the trasaction is nor working over the webservice? is there any way to get this to work?

Else i will have to place my unit test on the service layer insted(one level down) and hope that the trasaction will work between layers?

0
SnowJim

Type.GetType does not work in VB.NET but works in C#. VB.NET gurus Please help
Friends,   I am an experienced C# programmer who is working on a VB.NET project now. I am writing different methods covering the following functionalities 1) Take a datareader as input and return an arraylist of class object2) Take an xmlnode (received from a webservice) as input and return an arraylist of class object. The methods are generic methods which take datareader/xmlnode as first parameter and classname (string) as the second parameter. This way it will work trivially. The schema of class object matches with the input (datareader or xmlnode)In C# I used to do th...

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

Problem using vb object in C#.net
Hi guys, I am doing a c# project, and i am trying to add a custom control written by vb.net to my project. I get the following error when I drag-and-drop the control from my toolbox and build the project: Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'CountryDropDown' does not exist in the class or namespace 'CountryDropDown.CountryDropDown' (are you miss...

C#.NET or VB.NET

vb .net or c# .net

VB.Net To C#.Net

DropDownList SelectedIndex problem in C# (from working VB.NET)
Hello All, I've been diligently going through the examples in Scott Mitchell's "ASP Data Web Controls" book (I would recommend this work -- cleared up a lot of questions for me). All of the examples are in VB.NET and though I've been able to convert pretty much all of the examples so far into C# (my preferred language), there's one critical example that has me stumped. In Chapter 9, he demonstrates how to create a DataGrid containing a column with a DropDownList containing a foreign key to another table (using the pubs database, displaying the books table with FK to publishers n...

Help Me C# is working But VB.net Not working
Edited by SomeNewKid. Please post code between <code> and </code> tags. Pls, Help me, It is simple chat programe. My <IFRAME> src is calling the bellow event in C# it is working perfectly. private void Page_Load(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { string sDealer=""; string sWrite=""; if ( Session["Channel"] != null ) sDealer = Session["Channel"].ToString(); Response.Write( "<meta http-equiv=\"Refresh\"content=\"4\">" ); sWrite=MyModule.MyChat.GetAl...

Difference Between VB.Net And C#.Net
 hi friends,Please tell me the key difference between the Vb.Net And C#.Net..wheather vb.net supports operator overloading..Thanks & Regards,Pravin Kumar T.   Regards,Pravin Kumar T. pravin_thanusu:Please tell me the key difference between the Vb.Net And C#.Net.. Neither are ASP.NET so you probably want a different forum.  You'll also find your answers at Microsoft.com. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue.  >Please tell me the k...

Converting from vb.net to c#.net
Hello I have recently purchased VBGolds RawDataPrinter which should allow users to print directly to label printers on our network directly from a c# web form.  Unfortunately they only supply vb.net examples and I have need of c#.  The component has been installed on our web server.  This is some code that they have supplied as examples in vb.net   "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >"Head1" runat="server&qu...

Web resources about - Trasaction problem (work in C# but not VB.NET)? - asp.net.object-datasource

Forecast: 30 Percent Of Cyber-Monday Trasactions Will Be Mobile
Using a mix of its own data and third party data, mobile ad personalization platform AppLovin is predicting that nearly 30 percent of Cyber Monday ...

Coins List - CryptoNerd
-BTC Bitcoin- First, strongest, most accepted, most mined, high volume market, a true currency -LTC Litecoin- Second only to BTC , faster than ...

► Acme Technologies
... and Web applications. Home Products Support Blog Acme Technologies' New iPhone Apps... CCAuthorize Authorize.net Customers: If your trasactions ...

About » Cyber Crimes Unit - Cyber Crimes Unit
Cyber Crimes Unit semper vigilavi semper secura Home About Anti-spam Policy Disclaimer Dmca Notice E-mail Policy External Links Policy Privacy ...

Did Iran just seize a Deep Web drug market?
All in all, Thursday may not have been the best day people for people who enjoy trafficking in illicit goods online.

How to Avoid Getting Scammed in Domaining
This is a complete guide on domain scammers that shows how to recognize and avoid scammers while trading domains. There are several popular scamming ...

Knights Templar Documentary - Legend Hunters - Ark of the Covenant - FactualTV
Knights Templar Documentary - Legend Hunters - Ark of the Covenant - FactualTV In this episode of Legend Hunters, we follow the team as they ...

Timothy B. Lee - Disruptive Economics - Forbes
Timothy B. Lee's stories. Disruptive Economics: I write about how technology shapes society

Financial Data Security Solutions & Protecting Trasaction Security From SafeNet Inc.
Providing financial data security and transaction security to the financial services industry with solutions from SafeNet.