PLEASE HELP! w/Index Server, Indexing service query

Hello,

I have set up indexing service via Index Server on my local machine. I have successfully created the catalog, set up the document directory and indexed the documents within my directory. I am having problems with the query not returning the document properties that I would like to see (such as DocTitle, DocAuthor, etc.) Everything works fine, except for the fact that the result set is not returning the data fields that I need. The search works great (as far as I can tell).
I also installed the adobe ifilter so that index server can also search pdf files and that seems to work well. I am about 9/10's of the way done, except for the query part.
Here is my code:

Private Sub btnSearch_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSearch.Click
Dim strCatalog As String
Dim strQuery As String
Try
lblErrors.Text = String.Empty
' Catalog Name
strCatalog = "TriadDocLibCatalog"
strQuery = "SELECT DocTitle, DocAuthor, DocSubject, DocComments, Filename,Size,PATH,DocWordCount,DocPageCount,Directory,Attrib,ClassID,VPath,Write,DocAppName FROM SCOPE() WHERE CONTAINS('" & txtSearchString.Text & "')"
Dim connString As String = "Provider=MSIDXS;Data Source='" & strCatalog & "'"
Dim cn As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(connString)
Dim da As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(strQuery, cn)
Dim ds As New DataSet()
da.Fill(ds)

dgSearchResults.DataSource = ds
dgSearchResults.DataBind()
Catch ex As Exception
lblErrors.Text = ex.ToString
Finally
End Try
End Sub

According to my logic and query above, the result set should return "DocTitle, DocAuthor,
etc", but it doesn't. It only returns "FileName, Path, Write, Directory, etc". It seems that
Index server is not able to return the properties of the document (such as Title, Author,
etc.). I thought Index Server was perfect for returning document properties. I checked all
the files in my catalog directory and they all have values for Author, Title, Subject, etc.
Is there some special setting on Index Server that I forgot to set? Do you think the Adobe
Ifilter install screwed something up? I've searched all over the web and cannot find anything
on this. I saw a few posts on this forum, tried to implement what they had, but still doesn't
work correctly.
I changed my query to explicitly grab the data fields that it was not previously returning:

strQuery = "SELECT DocAuthor, DocKeywords, DocTitle FROM SCOPE() WHERE CONTAINS('" & txtSearchString.Text & "')"

But then I catch this exception:

System.Web.HttpException: DataGrid with id 'dgSearchResults' could not automatically
generate any columns from the selected data source. at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid.CreateAutoGeneratedColumns(PagedDataSource
dataSource) at System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid.CreateColumnSet(PagedDataSource
dataSource, Boolean useDataSource) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) at
System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataList.DataBind() at NewIMD.Search.btnSearch_Click
(Object sender, EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\NewIMD\Search\Search.aspx.vb:line 60

I can't figure out why its not returning the fields I specified in my query string. I even tried using the pre-defined views: "EXTENDED_FILEINFO" and "EXTENDED_WEBINFO", which includes all the fields that I want to see, but again, it does not return the document properties which I need.
Any thoughts? suggestions? help? I would greatly appreciate any insight. I'm so stuck and frustrated.
0
minla007

Hello there,

Have you found any solution to your problem?
I have just developed an search function using index server and I have the exact same problem like you. Some of the fields like DocTitle are not returned by the Query. The ironical thing is that if I search using the build in "Query the catalog" page in MMC Console under index server that search result will display Document titles.
Hope to hear from you soon.
/Manuel
0
lito77
5/11/2004 4:00:59 PM
I couldn't get the Indexing service to work correctly.......it still wouldn't return the doc properties that I needed. weird.

Instead, I used SQL2k Full Text Indexing. Storing each property into a column and storing the content of the file into an image column. hope this helps
0
minla007
5/11/2004 5:00:44 PM
Hello,

Using SQL2K full Text Indexing is another solution but it drives me crazy not knowing what the problem is.
I will continue to look for an solution. I make sure to post an answer here when I found one.
Its really strange thow because there are millions of solutions out there that use Index Server and I can't find anyone else having this problem exept you and me.
Best regards,
/Manuel
0
lito77
5/12/2004 6:53:50 AM
Hello again,

I think we have found the problem.
When you use the DataGrid Web server control in your .aspx pages, corresponding columns are not generated automatically for fields of type UniqueIdentifier . This behavior occurs when the AutoGenerateColumns property for the DataGrid is set to True .
http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/articles/2/10016.aspx
So switching off the AutoGenerateColumns and using the following code displays the DocTitle contents. The same happends with the other columns like Characterization.
<Column>
<asp:BoundColumn DataField="DocTitle" HeaderText="Title " />
</Column>
Hope this helps.
Best regards
/Manuel
0
lito77

To Index or Not To Index or How To Index
Hello, I was wondering if someone knows a better way to explain how different indexes work. Such as, is it better to have an index with int type or char or varchar etc? Is it better to have composite indexes or indexes with individual columns? How does optimizer handle different indexes and what can we do help it? Indexes are very efficient most of the time but they can be quite detrimental to server's performance, if abused. Perhaps you know of a good article about indexing that you could share with us. Or, perhaps Mr. Rob Verschoor would like to issue an article in his very usefu...

Need help running query on Indexing Server in VB.NET with VS2005
In a web project I am trying to run a simple query on a catalog off of our Microsoft Indexing server.  I'm having a couple of problems.  #1 - The tutorials keep refering to a view inside the catalog, but my server admin doesn't know what that means.  How do we find the view name? #2 - The line: Return oCommand.ExecuteReader() returns this error;Incorrect syntax near '-1.'.  Expected end-of-file, ';', AS, CREATE, DOT, DOTDOT, DOTDOT_SCOPE, DOTDOTDOT, DOTDOTDOT_SCOPE, DROP, ORDER_BY, SELECT, SET, WHERE. SQLSTATE=42000The query being executed is:  SELECT ...

index server not indexing
Ok, so I want to add a catalog to the index server. I can add the new catalog, I then add a directory to this catalog. I restart the index server, and merge the index. If I click the index server, in mmc, it shows 0 documents for everything. Everything meaning documents to index, total docs, docs defered for indexing and so on.  I've tried this on vista as well as on win2003 and the same result is obtained, no documents are indexed. In win2003 I can index document, but ONLY the ones in the default catalog, if I paste some documents there they get indexed. So, what have I don...

HighLight on Index Server... Help Please :-)
I have an index server already setup, and it performs nicely.. well above what i thought it would be able to do.. but now i need the option to highlight the document text. (ex. if i have a huge document and im looking for a word in the document, and index server comes back with 30 hits in that document, i would then like the code to highlight each occerence of that word in the text.) Does any one know how to do this.. or have any good links??...

How make a query in terms of File Index value in Index Server ?
I'm writing a Search Query in Index Server SQL language. but not able to get the index value of any document in the Index Server. As this code            strQuery = "Select Filename,PATH from Scope() where FREETEXT('" +strsearchstrings+ "')";             string connstring = "Provider=MSIDXS.1;Integrated Security .='';Data Source="+strCatalog; as shown in the example above i want make a query in in terms of Index of the doc file stored in the Index Server.Is it possible? I tried but its not working out I dont know where the probl...

Mapping HTML meta-tags to index server/indexing services variables
The HTML metatags “keywords” and “description” map very nicely to the Index Server variables “Characterization” and “DocKeywords”. So I can easily query the content of these meta tags in my web site search function: <meta name="keywords" content=" "> = Index Server: Characterization <meta name="description" content=" "> = Index Server: DocKeywords I’m looking for some more place to store information in HTML-pages that can be retrieved by Index Server. Are there any other HTML tags that are indexed by Index Server? For instance wha...

index server/indexing service win2003 or Vista no search result, possible solution
So, I've set up a new indexing solution for a client. I've hade some major issues getting this setup to work, but this morning finally got it to work. Assuming the account that's running your indexing service has access to the files and everything else is set up correctly, and you cannot get a search result returned, try going to the folder and check "index this folder for faster..." In "good old" NT you didn't have to check this option, as it didn't exist.... I could see the files getting indexed in the MMC, but on some catalogs the result wasn'...

PLEASE HELP! Microsoft Indexing Services/Master Page Content.
Hi. I am using Microsoft Indexing Services to index my web site. The problem is that all my .aspx pages use Master Pages. It appears that the content is not properly indexed. How can I get my Content placeholder code to be properly indexed? Do I have to write my own .aspx mapper for IIS ?    http://www.geneangelo.com I just came accross your post four months after you wrote it. Did you ever figure this out? I am stuck with the exact same problem. I implemented a hundred page website with master pages, and when I went to implement the search functionality, I found that I can&...

Management Studio - How to index tables based on query
We are using SQL2005. I have a stored proc that runs a Select query based on a complex view. The sproc has two input date parameters (StartDate and EndDate). We are experiencing SQL timeout problems when the sproc is run with certain Start and End Dates. We have run the SQL Profiler and created a trace (trc) file (We've used the 'Default' trace configuration). We have used the trace file in SQL Server Management Studio to try and automatically create indexes on some of our tables. Unfortunatly SQL Server Management does not make any index recommendations. I think we are not capturing ...

Using Indexing Service Catalog Without Indexing Service Running
I am developing an application where I need to allow users to search through a bunch of HTML files.  I know this is easy using Indexing Service, but I will not have access to the Web Server in order to set up an Indexing Service Catalog there.  Is it possible for me to create the Indexing Service Catalog on my local machine and then use the catalog on the Web Server without needing to set it up on Indexing Server? I basically want to move the catalog I created locally to the web server and query it without Indexing Service running. Is this possible?  No.  I don'...

Indexing server and hiding content when indexing?
Hi everyone, I'm now struggeling a bit to long with this problem and I really hope that somebody can help me. When indexing server indexes pages it reads from the top, which means that the only thing that shows in the search result is the navigation rather then the unique content of the page. I know that by adding meta description to the pages that indexing server will show this description in the result. However this will not solve the problem with all the pages I now need to index. Most search engines I know works with <noindex>-tags. Something like that ...

indexing server query
I would like to group by with an indexing service query.  I keep getting syntax errors. I need to group on the Year(write) and Month(write).  I understand the date format of the write field is different so how can i convert the write format to a format the Year() function can process and can I do this anyway? string mysearch = "select Year(write) as Yr, Month(write) as Mth, filename, Directory, HitCount from SCOPE('\"" + mypath + "\"')  GROUP BY Yr, Mth "; regardsMiltonregardsMilton You have to group by all of the fields in the select ...

Please help me: DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of
I'm using Dotnetnuke v3.2, when add 1 module, I got this error   "Error: Edit is currently unavailable.    DotNetNuke.Services.Exceptions.ModuleLoadException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at DanPhong.DNN.Modules.DDTS.DDTSEdit.btnAddNew_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\dnn3\desktopmodules\ddts\ddtsedit.ascx.cs:line 95 --- End of inner exception stack trace ---"Please help....How will I fix this error?  Thanx! Looking at the error y...

Index server, indexing but not returning results (vista)
I've indexed some documents in index server. I specify the catalog and folder in my query, see below. My problem is that the query never returns any result. I've indexed a lot of different folder och even indexed c in my despair:.On a total I have 85289 docs indexed if I look in the Mmc, but can't get one single document returned. One funny thing is that I can't set the index to inherit the settings from the webserver, if I choose properties. I can select it and save it, but when I go back, everything is set as before. I'm guessing this has something to do with...

Web resources about - PLEASE HELP! w/Index Server, Indexing service query - asp.net.object-datasource

Latent semantic indexing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in the early 1970s, to a contingency table built from word counts in documents. Called Latent Semantic Indexing because of its ability to correlate ...

Under the Hood: Indexing and Ranking in Graph Search - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Indexing and Ranking in Graph Search geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen ...

Bing Indexing Faster? - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
www.seroundtable.com/archives/021690.html

English Google App-Indexing office-hours hangout - YouTube
Join us for a *Google office hours hangout about App Indexing* App Indexing connects your website with your smartphone app, so that the app can ...

Apple confirms its ‘Applebot’ is indexing the web for Siri and Spotlight
... … Siri mostly uses Bing and Wolfram Alpha for its web searches, so one could ask the question why Apple would need to do its own indexing of ...

Trends in Wine: Out-Innovated By Beer, Under-Indexing With Hispanics
Is wine losing its buzz? Lately the category has been out-innovated by brewers, who have flooded the market with new beer flavors, brands and ...

Google Extends App Indexing to iOS
... in Chrome , \"in the coming weeks.\" Wald also offered instructions for developers interested in getting their apps indexed: While app indexing ...

Google's App Indexing speeds up switching to apps from Chrome and Google Search
... in the Google Developers Blog, I yawned. When I read deeper, though, and saw what it can do, I got a bit more excited. Google’s App Indexing ...

Coffee With a Googler: Learn about App Indexing and Search
Posted by Laurence Moroney , Developer Advocate. App Indexing helps you get your mobile app found in Google Search. Once your app is indexed, ...

Re-indexing Magento through the command line
... for a whole host of reasons, for example, if the indexer is timing out or not finishing through the web interface. Magento includes an indexing ...