MS Index Server, Web Page Searches - General Questions

Greetings:

I have the service set up and running and I'm able to do searches on my website and return the results to a search page. The basics are fine and up and running.

Question: I find when I publish the website if the '[x] Make site updateable' checkbox isn't checked the .aspx pages do not show up in a search. Is it true that the site must be published as updateable in order to make the MS Indexer work?  Am I sacrificing security in order to get the pages indexed?  Is there a way to publish the site as not updateable and still have the indexer work?

0
MadGerbil

 If you look at the published site (with make site updateable unchecked), you'll find that all the aspx pages are replaced with marker aspx files with the same name but having the following line of text as their content.

This is a marker file generated by the precompilation tool, and should not be deleted!

 Once this happens, the keywords associated with the pages are lost and so the pages don't appear in searches.

Regards,
Prashant

Prashant

Gridview Search Without Object Datasource Filter ParametersGridview Search Without Object Datasource Filter Parameters
Couple weeks ago I read a article about highlighted search in Gridview  (http://blog.evonet.com.au/post/2008/06/25/Gridview-with-highlighted-search-results.aspx) and in my project I used things I learned but now things changed I have a gridview and in code I give its datasource so because I dont use any objectdatasource I dont know where to write my filtering parameters. Is there anyway to use filtering without objectdatasource, or is there a way to give objectdatasource an source then bind it to my gridview. My code:  //No objectdatasource how can I conduct a search?GridView1.Da...

Object datasource and paging question
I just noticed that, if I enable paging in a gridview, the object datasource is called for each page. If I have paging disabled, the object datasource is called only once. This seems very expensive. Am I interpreting what is going on correctly? If so, is there a way to avoid multiple calls to the datasource? Thanks.Duncan Hi,dsutherland: To enable this feature, set the EnableSortingAndPagingCallbacks property to true. Notice that when a page or sort operation is performed, the page does not need to postback in order to retrieve new values (although a client script callback to the server i...

Index Server and Search Page
Have an asp page using catalog myCatalog.net and it returns to me DocTitle,vpath,filename,size,write,characterization,rank,directory,path using ado and ixssoo.Query.  Switching over to .net 2 and I've looked at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms692026.aspx It seems to imply I can get most everything except the rank using predefined views, e.g. WEBINFO = Vpath, path, FileName, size, write, attrib, Characterization, DocTitle.  However, everytime I try to use it, I cannot get a characterization.  It's got to me somewhere, because I can get it through ado.&nb...

All web pages hang on web server when one of the web pages calls a run away sql query
Hi: We have a Windows 2003 dedicated web server running the .NET Frameworks 1.0 and 2.0.  We have a SQL Server cluster running SQL Server 2000.  Unfortunately, we do not have a test environment.  I have 2 .NET web sites in production.  My coworker has a voting .NET web page using AJAX on the same server.  The coworker wrote a query that was not indexing properly and when the page fired the query...the cluster went to almost 100% utilization.  My two web pages would hang and show a blank white page on the default.aspx.  Neither of m...

How to search a web site content (similar to google searching a web page)
Hi ,  Can any one help me, in finding solution for searching a web site.  I have a search functionality implement in my application, user should able to mine details from the web pages and a small description should also be show(similar to google search result)  *  i have come across some solution mentioned below, which is not elegant, any other method to get this done    Dim sVirtualPath As String = Request.Url.ToString.Substring(0, Request.Url.ToString.LastIndexOf("/") + 1) Dim sPageHTML As String = GetPage(sVirtualPath & SEARCH_PAGE) ...

Web Search Indexing files on remote server
I have one NW 6.5 server used to serve files. I would like to index these files from another NW 6.5 server with Web Search server. I want to do this so that the workload will handled by the Web Search server. Bothe servers are in the same tree and context. If I export the file filesystem on the file server, my backup software will not backup those files so NFS gateway is not an option. As there any good way to accomplish this? Has anyone out there made this work? Please help. The TIDs I found on this subject have not been helpful. Phil Cogan Pc, > As there any good way ...

MS patch breaks Web Search Server
I have found a Bug with the latest Microsoft fix for IE6 SP1. KB832984. We are using Extend Director 4.1 and NW6 Web Search Server. We have a Shortcut Gadget that uses the Portal Macro's to authenticate the user to WebSearch. This works just fine until you install KB832894, after which is no longer works, un-installing the patch fixes this issue. Thanks Microsoft for brwaking a Novell System. David. David Main, > I have found a Bug with the latest Microsoft fix for IE6 SP1. KB832984. We are using Extend Director 4.1 and NW6 Web Search Server. We have a Shortcut Gadget that uses t...

A bot net is watching a page on my web server
A few days ago I noticed that a page containing information that is not interesting and is commonly available elsewhere was becoming very popular on my site. It is now the most popular single page with 4352 hits in the last 6 days. I'm not going to post the page URL here because I don't want to upset what is going on with you all visiting the page. Suffice it to say that the page is just about stupid and almost empty. Today I started looking at my server logs to see who was linking to that page (expecting to find a referred from URL in at least some of the hits) and ...

deploying web matrix web pages to host web server
Hi:I'm new to this forum and also in developing asp .net web pages.  I created web pages using Web Matrix v0.6.812.0 (connecting to an Access backend in the same folder as the web pages). Now I need to upload it to my company's web server (Windows 2000 with IIS and .Net Framework 1.1) so the customer can see them.  My administrator created a virtual site for me on the company's web server and I copied the .aspx, .ascx, .css, .mdb and web.config files to the directory for my virtual site.   When I try to access my default.aspx file on the web server thr...

Fill in web page search box and get resulting web page via code?
Hi all, I have a web page: http://www.national.com/mpf/CO/COP8ACC5.html and I am wondering how I could simulate entering a value in the search text box, pressing search and then getting the resulting web page so I can process the information? I can process the info already if I manually get the source of the resulting web page, but not how to get the page automatically via programming. I have access to Delphi 5 and Delphi 2007 Win32 if this helps... Thanks in advance, Cheers, Paul. "The plastic veneer of civilization is easily melted in the heat of the mome...

Access my aspx page from a non .net web server
HI, I have a restricted aspx page (a Calculator) on my website. Another website(does not run .net) has requested to use the page on their website. What would be the best way to acheive this scenario?Can non .net websites consume .net services (web services)?Ideally i'd like the scenario to run like this...Consuming website purchases a subscription to the aspx page(calculator)They are supplied a script to insert into their html page which calls the aspx page (web service?)aspx page returns rendered page to consuming website Do your users need to see the calculator physically in ord...

MS SQL Question regarding page/index defrag.
I know the shortcut to 'defragging' the database to eliminate and reclaim 'whitespace' in data and index pages is to setup a maintenance plan. This doesn't work for me for two reasons: 1. I like to know how things work. 2. I can not create maintenance plans with my hosted provider. I use the following T-SQL to rebuild all indexes on all tables: -- exec sp_MSforeachtable "DBCC DBREINDEX ('?', ' ', 90) But, does that not only address indexes? What about getting whitepace back from data in tables themselves? Am I over-thinking this? When you're paying for SQL by the MB and ge...

2 questions: packing up web app/ objects in pages.
in my aspx.vb(I think called the code behind page), I declared an array of an object I created, and then put two instanciated objects into it. If I then go to the aspx page, and put in this code, it doesnt recognize the object... <% Dim myObj1 as Kra1 myObj1 = myArray(0) Dim myObj2 as Kra1 myObj2 = myArray(1) %> but I can do this, and it works just fine. ...q1, and q2 are the two fields in the object Kra1 <% myArray(0).q1 myArray(0).q2 %> So, how is it that Kra1 is recognized in the aspx.vb page, but not in the aspx? Arent they the same page...

Error Indexing PDF Files with Web Search Server
I have been testing the web search server and indexing PDF files. After many hurdles to overcome the limitations built into this product I have encountered a problem with some PDF files. When I view the log file I find the following error message; QuickFinder indexer warning: Ignoring error 0x8000F039 returned by GetWord When this happens the PDF will not be indexed and I get no search results. I have not been able to find anything on this message. The server is NetWare 6 with support pack 4. Mark Crist, > QuickFinder indexer warning: Ignoring error 0x80...

Web resources about - MS Index Server, Web Page Searches - General Questions - asp.net.object-datasource

Question Of The Day: Greatest hood scoop ever?
Filed under: Automotive History Just about every manufacturer has installed some sort of scoop, functional or not, to at least one vehicle hood. ...

If you want to work for Airbnb, get ready to answer these 27 ridiculous interview questions
Airbnb is the third-most valuable private tech company in the world — it has a $25.5 billion valuation . If you want to work there, you might ...

Review: Ten Economic Questions for 2015
At the end of each year, I post Ten Economic Questions for the coming year. I followed up with a brief post on each question. The goal was to ...

Questions raised about San Bernardino shooter's visa
Chair of House Judiciary Committee says immigration officials had insufficient evidence to issue Tashfeen Malik a visa to enter the U.S.

“R. Kelly walked out of a HuffPo interview after some awkward questions” links
R. Kelly walked out of HuffPo interview after being asked some awkward questions about his fans’ reactions to his sexual assault of minors. [Dlisted] ...

Where's Conservative Outrage Over Hugh Hewitt's Questions To Ben Carson?
One of the biggest tools the conservative punditry uses to make itself look like underdogs is to complain that the librul media is out to get ...

Shocker: Hillary Clinton Spins Question On Bullying In Order To Criticize Donald Trump
Shocker: Hillary Clinton Spins Question On Bullying In Order To Criticize Donald Trump

David Foster Defends His Ex Yolanda Foster: Don't Question Her Lyme Disease
David Foster Defends His Ex Yolanda Foster: Don't Question Her Lyme Disease

Five Questions With Advertising Executive Kitty Lun, CEO of Lowe China
By Linda Kerstin Kitty Lun, Chairman and CEO at Lowe China, is one of the most awarded and respected advertising professionals in Greater China. ...