Data Access Layer & Data Layer

what is the difference between Data Access Layer & Data Layer??
0
bluebird07

A data layer is where your DB is (or maybe text files). Like your SQL Server DB is your data layer.

Data access layer is the code you write to access the data layer and perform operations.

HTH,

Vivek

Social Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community

vivek_iit

Tutorials on building a Data Access Layer & Business Logic Layer??
I'm sure a few weeks ago i came across some asp.net 2.0 tutorials on building a data access layer and a business logic layer in 2.0.  More specifically using the new Generic Collection Classes as well.I can't seem to find them anymore.  Does anyone know where i can find them?Jason try in www.codeproject.com  ...

The way I see the design in the most basic forms, that the DAL is referenced in Business Logic Layer, where data returned by the entities is stored in a class.That class is referenced by both the UI and BLL. Right? There is no other way to do it I think, because the moment you let the developer reference the entity in UI, then you lose the separation of data.ORRRRRRRRR maybe there is a way to return an Entity Type to UI from BLL without referencing the DAL?BTW I've searched the web, not much there, as I think relatively few systems have yet to take advantage of this technology this deepl...

Business layer or Data Access Layer
Hi, I have set up a DAL that connecs to the database and returns all the data I need. However, when i try to access the DAL through a BLL I allways get a null reference error. Any ideas why this is happening? any tips how to handle the exceptin to get better debug info? Cheers.What goes up must come down, unless it is in a geosynchronous orbit. Not sure what you are getting a null ref to. could you show some code with the error line?  Just a long shot, but make sure you use HttpContext.CurrentPeter Kellnerhttp://73rdstreet.com and blogging athttp://PeterKellner.netMVP, ASP.N...

Newbie RE Guided tour-Adding a Data Layer Class & Configuring the Object Data Source
Hi all, I was going great with the Guided tour for VBS, until this... I completed the step for creating the authorsTableAdapter, the DataAccess class, added the ObjectDataSource and in the configure wizard hit problems. I follow the instructions in the wizard but I dont get any tags to choose from at all.  " In Define Data Methods, for Choose a method select GetAuthors, and then click Next " Have I made an error at this point? 4. To the DataAccess class add the following method for filling the typed DataSet, removing the line breaks required for Web presentation. C#  VB&nb...

Data access tutorial 1: Creating a Data Access Layer question
Hi GentsFirst time poster, so please go easy on me. I'm working through the Data Access Tutorial 1, and am rather stuck.I've gotten as far as page 12, the example of "AllProducts.aspx.cs" and in the example code it shows the recently created Table Adapter, known as ProductsTableAdapter, being used as a data source for a grid control on that webpage. The problem I'm having is that after I have created the page "AllProducts.aspx" and added a gridview to it,  no matter what I do I am not able to reference ProductsTableAdapter - if I try to type it out the In...

Data Access Layer with a parameter accessed via Business Logic Layer
Good Afternoon I've been following the Data tutorials on this site (ASP.net) and created a Data Access Layer which has a table adaptor GetProductsForUserID, this uses a sql query to only return product where the current user (this.User.Identity.Name) is linked to product (using a joining table). This DAL is access in my application via a Business Logic Layer which is bound to a Data List. How can I pass the userid to the Business Logic Layer which in turn calls the Data Access Layer?. Previously I've only used a SQL statement and a SqlD...

A custom data access layer with dynamic data.
Hi, The dynamic data web application by default operates on connected enviornment, but I want to use dynamic data in a disconnected environment, where  I have my own data access layer with the relavent methods exposed, in a senario as such how can i connected with dynamic data? What are the changes i need to make when registering the control and in the LinqDataSource?   Thank you Dilrukshi The release version only supports Linq to SQL and DynamicData but the Preview uses the DomainService also and with this you can use your own Data Access layer. see here for PreviewSteve ...

EMAB access from Data Layer or Biz Layer?
Hi, I'm using the Exception Management Application Block in my web layer to log exceptions to a text file, and it works quite well.  However, I have found it doesn't seem to be possible to get the same logging functionality in my Biz or Data layers without passing any exceptions up to the Web layer, which is something I don't really want to do.  Is there any way to use the EMAB to log exceptions at layers that don't have access to web.config?  If not I feel that this is a fairly serious limitation, as exceptions don't just happen at the web layer! ...

how to use business entities in business logic and data access layers when object data source is used?Here is my code can somebody pls help me in using business entities to select,insert ,update and d
Hi, I am new to dot net ,can someone please help me in how to use business entites in dataccesslayer and businesslogiclayer. I should not use dataset instead i should use business entites to get all the links,I am posting my code here,i am posting my business entites and dataaccess layer and business logic layer.Also I have a question regarding event handlers ,how to use that using grid view.Please can any reply as soon as possible.Here is the code:   Business Entities:  namespace UsefulLinkEntity { public class UsefulLinkEntity {public string strdp_Title...

ODP.NET
I installed ODP.NEt 2.0 on top of my Oracle client 10g. I am developing a Data Access component. I am having the below problem.  I created the Data Layer class. The constructor of the data layer class initiates a new Oracle Connection.  then I assign the Oracle Transaction obbject to the open connection. In my web page, I instantiate the DataLayer class and then call BeginTransaction method.  At this point, my connection object is null.  What am I missing?  I am getting Externalcontext connection error and Internalcontext error with the error message "Specified slot...

Creating a Data Access Layer/Business Logic Layer
Hi,I'm designing the data access layer for my web app using typed datasets and have a few questions.If I have a DataTable with a schema of several columns, do all of the queries on the TableAdapter for that DataTable have to return all of the exact same columns? Or can the queries return a subset of those columns?Does it make sense to create an entirely new DataTable within my DataSet when I am only expecting a few rows to be returned? For example, I need to query the database to find the manager of a single employee. I then need to use the name of the manager to find...

ORM.NET v.16
Olero Software has released version 1.6 of ORM.NET - the popular object relational mapping and code generation tool. ORM.NET saves .NET developers significant time and effort by generating a complete ADO.NET based Data Access Layer (DAL) modeled on an existing SQL database schema. Version 1.6 NOW SUPPORTS VB.NET code generation as well as the ability to easily customize project namespaces. Download a free trial and see the difference ORM.NET will make on your next .NET project at www.olero.com/ormweb/index.aspx?mp=aspnet Stop manually coding your ADO.NET data access layer! ...

Stored Procedure, Data Access Layer and Business Logic Layer
Hi:I have recently learned to create/use stored procedures and create an n-tier application using the Data Access Layer and Business Logic layer to populate a grid control.  I can see how I can generate a number of outputs from the stored procedure - the table, record count, etc.  My challenge is figuring out how to use my business logic layer to get the number of records returned as well as the data set itself. My stored procedure looks like this:PROCEDURE [dbo].[GetMediaByParams](    @cityID char(6),    etc...)ASDECLARE @sql nvarchar(4000),...

Data Access Layer & Connection Management
I'm implementing a Data Access Layer for an N-Tiered application architecture.  I have several classes that represent tables in a database.  In the case where the database has a foreign key, its class is implemented to have a member of that data type (as opposed to just an integer for the ID).  Each class has a DataManager class to implement how to fill it with data.  For instance: public ClassA { //some members //some methods } public ClassB { ClassA classA; //some other members //some methods } public ClassAManager { pub...

Web resources about - Data Access Layer & Data Layer - asp.net.object-datasource

Random-access memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Random access memory ( RAM ) is a form of computer data storage . A random access device allows stored data to be accessed in any order in very ...

ACT government defends seeking access to Canberrans' metadata
The ACT government has defended its right to seek access to Canberrans' private phone and internet records without a warrant.

Thousands to get access to new HIV drug
Access to a drug lauded for halting the spread of HIV will be provided to more than 2500 people in a push to wipe out new infections.

Canberra public hospitals 'struggling' on waiting times and access
Peak medical group warns falling funding for "struggling" hospitals could exacerbate already growing waiting times.

16 million Americans have no wired broadband access, not even at 4Mbps
... even if the FCC revived that slower definition of broadband, the commission's annual reports would still find that many Americans lack access, ...

SimPrints founders recognized by Forbes for fingerprint solution for healthcare access
SimPrints co-founders Toby Norman, Tristram Norman and Daniel Storisteanu have been recognized in the 2016 Forbes 30 under 30 social entrepreneurs ...

Veterans Might Finally Get Access To Medical Marijuana
'This policy disincentivizes doctors and patients from being honest with each other'

Morning Digest: Wealthy Democrat channels Trump: 'I sign my checks to buy access'
... asked. While he said he disagrees with the GOP candidates he sent money to "on everything social and economic," "I sign my checks to buy access." ...

The Division PC pre-order deals that include beta access
... For those that actually have made the decision to buy the game (beta or not), we've found some pre-order deals on The Division with beta access ...

34 Million Americans Still Lack Access to Real Broadband -
... to be no. According to the FCC's 2016 Broadband Progress Report (pdf), 34 million Americans (or about 10% of the population) lack access to ...