Cannot convert value of parameter 'Course_FK' from 'System.String' to 'System.Guid'

Hi,

I'm building a site and I've been trying to accomplish something similar to what is talked about in "Working with Data in ASP.NET 2.0 :: Declarative Parameters" tutorial.

Below is the code for my methods from the xsd. I tried to attach a screenshot of my xsd but for some reason I'm not allowedSad

GetAllCourseNames()

SELECT        CourseID, Name
FROM            Course

GetCourseScheduleByCourseID

SELECT        ScheduleID, Course_FK, Date, TeeTime, NumberOfPlayers
FROM            Schedule
WHERE        (Course_FK = @Course_FK)

The problem is that when I run my site I get the error that I mentioned in the subject line. My approach to my problem is the same as in the tutorial that I'm using. I'm obviously doing something wrong but I can't see the difference between my SELECT's and the one in the tutorial. For some reason when I use @Course_FK the datatype is GUID?

I've tried conveting/casting to different typs but the compiler keeps telling me I cannot convert from GUID to whatever I'm trying to convert to.

Thanks.

0
przemeklach

Hi~ To me "Cannot convert value of parameter 'Course_FK' from 'System.String' to 'System.Guid' " means the parameter is string but the one your method needed is guid~ You may check your .xsd to see if the filed was set in the right type~
你好! Just FYI o_O
0
Gordon
8/21/2006 8:12:17 AM

Although the compiler nor the runtime complain, I am getting no results for this inside my gridview. I've double checked that the right value is being passed because I had it print to a lable i.e. courseID

Here is the code behind:

protected void SearchButton_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
        Label2.Text = (CourseDropDownList.SelectedValue.ToString());
        Guid courseID = new Guid(CourseDropDownList.SelectedValue.ToString());
        ScheduleTableAdapter scheduleAdapter = new ScheduleTableAdapter();
        CourseScheduleGridView.DataSource = scheduleAdapter.GetCourseScheduleByCourseID(courseID);
        CourseScheduleGridView.DataBind();
    }

 Here is the gridview, button control and code from the GetCourseScheduleByCourseID method:

<asp:GridView ID="CourseScheduleGridView" runat="server">
            </asp:GridView>

<asp:Button ID="SearchButton" runat="server" Text="Search" OnClick="SearchButton_Click" />

SELECT        Schedule.*
FROM            Schedule
WHERE scheduleID = @course_FKID

0
przemeklach
8/23/2006 1:48:42 AM
As I have said, it's maybe not your gridview's problem, don't need to convert the courseID to Guid. Plz check the corresponding datatable ScheduleTable's field datatype in your dataset~
你好! Just FYI o_O
0
Gordon

The datatype for the Course_FK is System.Guid as per the xsd file.

0
przemeklach
8/23/2006 5:45:38 AM
So why not try change datatype for the Course_FK in xsd to System.String? As you use char, varchar of text type for it in DB right?
你好! Just FYI o_O
0
Gordon
8/23/2006 6:26:17 AM
I have changed the datatype to System.String and it's still asking for a GUID.
0
przemeklach
8/24/2006 12:45:42 AM

*BUMP*

I've been trying different things to solve this problem myself but no success. Still don't understand why I'm being asked for a GUID datatype?

0
przemeklach
8/26/2006 12:43:30 AM
Well I found a method called GuidFromString() in VB. It is used in the MSAccess world. I'm assuming that there has to be something similar in CSharp? I get no search results in the MSDN Library when I search for "GuidFromString C Sharp".
0
przemeklach
8/27/2006 5:52:41 PM

Hey There - this may be a bit late, but you can use this as an example:

That converted a string to a guid for me.

0
kjarrodc

''''''''''''''''''''

'''''

'System.String' to 'System.Guid'
 Hi Guys, I have this working with a hyperlink field in a gridview.   <asp:HyperLinkField DataNavigateUrlFields="UserID" DataNavigateUrlFormatString="userprofiles.aspx?UserID={0}" DataTextField="UserName" HeaderText="User Name" Text="User Name" >  I just want to same thing in a datagrid but I get this error:  <asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLinkToUserProfile" runat="server" NavigateUrl="userprofiles.aspx?UserID={0}"><%# Eval("UserName...

Error 102 Argument '12': cannot convert from 'ref System.Guid' to 'System.Guid?'
Hi  I have a stored proc as follows: USE [SubSrvs]GO/****** Object:  StoredProcedure [dbo].[subsrvs_Services_CreateService]    Script Date: 07/15/2007 11:39:38 ******/SET ANSI_NULLS ONGOSET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ONGOALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[subsrvs_Services_CreateService] @Level1    nvarchar(max),    @Level2    nvarchar(max),    @Level3    nvarchar(max),    @Level4    nvarchar(max),    @Level5    nvarchar(max...

Convert 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String' ?
I have a textbox on my site that I want to populate with some data, however when the value is null, which is quite often.The problem is that when I call a static method which returns a string; when that string is DBNull, I get the following error which is absolutely correct.Unable to cast object of type 'System.DBNull' to type 'System.String'.So, what should I do to be able to ignore that the string is null and just display a "" string in the texbox?The code is as follows:    private void GetCartSmall(string sSessionID)    {      &n...

Value of type 'String' cannot be converted to 'System.Net.Mail.MailAddress'
My code is below:Protected Sub btnSendMsg_OnClick(ByVal Source As Object, ByVal E As EventArgs) Dim myMessage As New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage Dim myAttachment As System.Net.Mail.Attachment Dim myMail As System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient If Page.IsValid() Then myMessage.From = txtFromEmail.Text myMessage.To = txtToEmail.TextWhat can I do to fix this? MailMessage.To represents a collection that you Add addresses to.Dim recipient As MailAddress= new MailAddress(txtToEmail.Text) myMessage.To.Add(recipient)    Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~...

Value of type 'System.Net.Mail.MailMessage' cannot be converted to 'System.Net.Mail.AlternateView'

Object of type 'System.DBNull' cannot be converted to type 'System.String' from formview
I have a formview that I am using for input to my datatable.  I am using an objectdatasource that uses a BLL.  This in turn points to my XSD tableadapter. When I test, and only fill in the required fields, I am getting the error Object of type 'System.DBNull' cannot be converted to type 'System.String' I am not sure what field is having the issue.  In my BLL for the Add, I have checked the dates for null and placed the value of DateTime.MinValue.  For the text fields, I have place "" if they are null.  Is this error being create prior to...

Unable to cast object of type '<>f__AnonymousType1`3[System.Guid,System.String,System.String]' to type 'aspnet_User'.???
Hi everyone, What does this error mean?  ERROR: Unable to cast object of type '<>f__AnonymousType1`3[System.Guid,System.String,System.String]' to type 'aspnet_User'. Thank's a lot /PepePepe JoseNewbie@C#.Net&jRuby What type is in your DataItem?  A Guid? or a String?  Either way, it's telling you cant cast it to a aspnet_User type.  Let us know what your DataItem is and we can help further.Good Luck and happy programming!Let's build community! If my post helped you, mark it as the Answer and I will do the same when you help me.....

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'System.String' to 'System.DateTime' error
Hi, I have a Gridview with templates and i set the format to Text='<%# Eval("PrescriptionDate", "{0:dd/MM/yyyy}") %>'  The objectDataSource: <asp:ObjectDataSource DeleteMethod="DeletePrescriptionDetails" InsertMethod="InsertPrescriptionDetails" ID="objDetails" runat="server" SelectMethod="GetAllPrescriptionDetails" UpdateMethod="UpdatePrescriptionDetails" TypeName="GridViewClasses"> <UpdateParameters> <asp:Parameter Name="PrescriptionId" Type="Int32" /> <asp:Parameter Name="MedicineId" Type="Int32" /> <asp:Parameter Name="ActualDose" Type="I...

'''

System.Net.Mail is giving error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type 'string' to 'System.Net.Mail.MailAddress'
I'm getting an error while trying to use the wizard to create a form and than pass it the vaibles to Mail. Any help would be much appreciated. SmtpClient smtpClient = new SmtpClient(); MailMessage message = new MailMessage(); try {   message.From = txtEmail.Text; message.To.Add("admin1@yoursite.com"); message.Subject = "Feedback"; message.CC.Add("admin1@yoursite.com"); message.CC.Add("admin2@yoursite.com"); message.IsBodyHtml = false; message.Body = txtMessage.Text; smtpClient.Send(message); lblStatus.Text = "Email successfully sent."; } catch (Exception ex) { lbl...

Web resources about - Cannot convert value of parameter 'Course_FK' from 'System.String' to 'System.Guid' - asp.net.object-datasource