Security concern over application services such as authentication exposed as web services

There have been questions around security with regard to exposing application services such as authentication as web services to the client side. Can any provide any insight on this ?

Also , when we are invoking webserivces from the client side javascript what identity is used for validating user credentials?

Thanks!

Pratibha

0
pratibk
6/6/2006 11:21:06 AM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

A question about Web Service security / secured web service Testing
Hi, I created a web service and secure it using SoapExtention. I implemented code from this link. http://www.developer.com/net/net/article.php/11087_2192901_2 Now if I create proxy class from my other webapplication and call any webmethod of my webservice, I must provide username password to access any of its webmethod, otherwise it is throwing SOAP Exception which works fine. But now when I open this webservice locally using its URL, in Internet Explorer, like http://localhost/MyWebService/poservice.asmx, it shows me all webmethods and I can invoke any webmethod from here without using ...

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

Web Application and Web Service security
I have a web application that is implementing forms authetication and a web service using WSE 3.0 Direct Authentication with UsernameToken. I have tested each one independently and everything works as advertised. Great!  Now, the piece that I don't understand is how to get the password to setup the token. I can get the username.  For example: 1. The web.config file is setup to deny anonymous users.  2. When the default page is hit the user is directed to the login page. The login in page iplements ASP.net's Login Control and is accessing the memb...

Profile Service and Secure Web Services
currently i'm using Forms authentication for my web application.  my application has several pages and many users.  in an effort to Ajaxify my application i need secure web services preventing hackers from modifying user data.  how do i do this?  can i do this with the Profile Service and SSL?thanks.-ty ASP.NET AJAX has a built-in profile service that you can invoke from JavaScript, it will work seamlessly with your SSL pages. As far as secure web services, that isn't really an ajax question - you should take the necessary steps to secure your application just l...

How to call .net web service from Java web application?
Hi all,  I have a vb .net web service.How do i call .net web service from Java web application?What all resources I need?Can you please provide a sample application where a java application is invoking methods of .net web service? Thank you Hi, First I am not familiar with java language, but web services are universal operating system and language independent. It doesn't matter where the services is or in what language is written you just invoke it  and it gives you "replay".  Probably you must reffer to java consuming web services.   Regard...

Authentication in Web Application using Sys.Services.Authentication
New to the site and Aspnet Sys.Services.Authentication Services  trying to make User Profile work with Membership Provider blah blah blah, in iis 5.1 and XP... have read all the articles and have setup Web.Config Security etc...? But something on my part is missing...?  If I have the Authentication Type= Windows the app. etc. performs as per the documentation,  I change the Authentication type to Forms, I can login fine,  but  if i change Forms the Credentials are totally lost and my Profile Data does not appear.. Users, Sessions etc. are the same User.  Its'...

New to web services, why does PB10 web service proxy wizard say there are no services?
here... http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/205-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl oops typo... still doesn't show any services though... http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/2005-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl "Chance" <chance@booklog.com> wrote in message news:43b44cb3$1@forums-1-dub... > here... > > http://webservices.amazon.com/AWSECommerceService/205-10-05/AWSECommerceService.wsdl > Upgraded to 10.2x and now seems to be working...at least it created the proxy. "Chance" <chance@booklog.co...

web service
Hi guys, I would like to create a web service that has basic username and password authentication.  I've created a call to this web service and added credentials to the call as show below (VB .net 2.0)Dim ws As New localhost.Service() Dim retVal As String Dim credentials As New CredentialCache()credentials.Add(New Uri(ws.Url), "Negotiate", New NetworkCredential(txtUsername.Text, txtPassword.Text)) ws.Credentials = credentials retVal = ws.SubmitMessage(txtMessage.Text, txtVersionID.Text, txtSourceGUID.Text) I can't seem to find the Credential...

Is web services a part of web Service?

Web resources about - Security concern over application services such as authentication exposed as web services - asp.net.networking-webservices

New Tools to Optimize App Authentication
At f8, we announced a redesigned Auth Dialog and a new authentication flow to give developers more control over people’s first experience with ...

Facebook Tells Some Developers They Have 48 Hours to Fix Authentication Data Leaks
... sent an email to what it calls a “very small percentage of the developer community” informing them their apps are suspected of leaking authentication ...

Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices #DigInfo - YouTube
Sony Authentication Power Outlet Recognizes Users and Devices DigInfo TV - http://diginfo.tv 9/3/2012 NFC & Smart WORLD 2012 Sony Authentication ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

Hands on: Twitter two-factor authentication
Optus and Vodafone customers need not apply when it comes to Twitter's two-factor authentication.