Noob ASP.NET/Web Services question (PLEASE CANCEL this post. I moved it to the "XML Web Services" forum.)

I'm connecting a ASP.NET project to a web service.  The web service was accessed on port 83, but when I added the web reference, it couldn't query the service and discover its interface.

I switched the web service over to port 80 and it worked perfectly.  Do you know what's going on?  Has anyone experienced the same issue?

0
Cody
7/25/2008 1:51:07 PM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Please compare "web service" and "remote services"
Somebody, please tell me the different beetween "web services" and "remote services". So, "web services" and "remote services" which one is better? Please tell me This might provide some insight. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/dotnetremotearch.asp The really question at hand is what kind of project? Frank ...

Programatically build Web Service proxies independent of the "Web Reference" in VS.Net?
Can anyone detail for me how to build a proxy for a webservice from its .wsdl without using a "web reference"? Or point me to a hotw-to somewhere? I assume there is an API for this in the Framework, I just cannot find it... Thanks.Thanks,B You have to use WSDL.eXE you can see info on it @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptools/html/cpgrfWebServicesDescriptionLanguageToolWsdlexe.asp Hope it helps!Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti For complete programmatic use of dynamic Web services by simply feedi...

"□" character is not taken by the XML web service in .net framework??
Dear all, I am developing a simple smart device application using XML web services for Oracle database connection with smart devices.In this application I am simply taking the data from the textbox in the mobile,encrypting it & finally sending it to the oracle database using XML web services.i am using .net framework for the whole.But the problem is that as I am trying to send the data to the oracle database after encryption of some strings/characters,one special character "□" is not taken by the XML format in the web service.It is giving error by saying that it is invalid character for...

It is showing invalid character "□" by the XML web services in .net framework
 Hi, I am developing an smart device application where I am taking some data through mobile device,encrypting it & finally trying to insert it to the Oracle database by using XML web services.But my problem is that after encrypting the data & taking ASCII encoding of that data,I am getting one special symbol "□" which is not taken by the XML web services by showing the error that its invalid character for the XML format.SO as a result I am not able to insert the encrypted data into the Oracle Database. Can anyone give any solution of this problem? Waiting for your r...

What is "Web Service" (Begineer of .NET)
I have started few days before .NET.Earlier I am working on ASP. So I have decided to learn ASP.NET. I heard about the great thing Web Service on diiferenet site.But couldnt understand. How it can work.What is the purpose. From which refernce sites I can learn. Plz I need ur Assistance. See my article in below link, I did this for beginners, probably it will helps you! http://www.w3coder.com/ws/WSGWBook/WebServGW-01.XMLSreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

"Visual Web Developer Web Server" and Web Services
I like the new "Visual Web Developer Web Server" (Do you want suggestions for a longer name!) but I have an issue with using it to host a Web Service. Whenever the Web Service is recompiled and run it ends up with a different port number. Therefore, it seems that any references to that WS in other applications are invalidated and need to be re-established when it's run again. Is there a way of pinning the port number, or am I missing something? CheersNick Grattan, MSDN Regional Director, Ireland. Software Paths Limited. Hi Nick, the internal server is used for local...

adding web reference, remote web service. "unable to download service.asmx?wsdl"
Hello having a problem with this web service. VS [2005]  The message we get when we try and add the web reference is "unable download following files http://10.0.1.7/codered/service.asmx?wsdl". Which is using the internal ip address of the web server. We have check the IIS where the web service has been published to. But could not see why it is using the internal ip and not the external ip address. The actual url is http://83.100.199.125/codered/service.asmx Here is the service description sample, maybe someone can check this, as this has the internal ip address at the bottom. ...

Web Service exception: "The handle is in the wrong state ..." in local net
Hi, I wrote a Web Service that works correctly in one server that has a public domain, but when I install the same Web Service under a server that has only access in the local network, the client application gets an exception that returns a message such as: The handle is in the wrong state for the requested operation. In such local network setup, instead of calling the web service from the client application giving the domain, I call it using the IP, could such a thing cause the problem ? or is there a way to get the web services requests from clients in the server side ? Thanks ...

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

A "Web Application Project" for web-services ?
I was wondering if there is something analogous to the "Web Application Project" VS add-in for Web-services. By analogous I mean: 1. All the source files in a Web-services project is compiled into a single assembly, perhaps with the exceptions of the .asmx file 2. Property pages for the project in VS display all the tabs that are available in other kinds of projects - i.e., for example, ability to specify pre and post build events, the XML documentation file etc. I really appreciate any help. Cheers, Adrigo Yes, the current release supports creating an "ASP.Net Web Service Applica...

Web Service Strange Error "Service Description altering attributes cannot be specified on service implementation. "
G'day folks;I built a web service based on a given XLM request message and XML response message following the guidelines provided by Yasser Shohoud in his article "Place XML Message Design Ahead of Schema Planning to Improve Web Service Interoperability"  I used given response and request documents provided by a user manual for an Air Force web service that returns weather imagery.  The web service built correctly.  There was some confusion at first because Yasser used C# and I used vbNet.  The wsdl.exe created a stub file with an interface called IWeatherSe...

"Dynamic" Web Services, "Dynamic" Parameters
This is a follow-up discussion from http://forums.asp.net/t/1332722.aspx?PageIndex=2. I noticed we stopped talking about Peter's problem some time ago. The discussion had become one of passing "XML strings" to a web service in order to permit optional parameters, a dynamic web service, and things like that. My contention is that this is a solution without a requirement. It is something that we can do, which does not imply that anyone needs us to do it. First of all, if you need to send XML, then send XML. Do not send a string that happens to have XML embedded in it. ASM...

Can "Add Web Reference" if web service deployed to new web site, Can't add ref if deployed to Virt Server under Default web site (Sharepoint)
I have created a web service wich I can deploy successfully to a new IIS Web, but of course I have to set the port to something other than 80 (and I'd rather just use a virtual server under the Default web). If I try to deploy my web service under the Default Web as a new virtual server, and then try to "Add a web Reference" to the service, it fails with a 404: not found error. Notes: WServer 2003 My IIS server is running Sharepoint Portal Server (SPPS)sp2.  VS2005 Any ideas? /Bob C in GRR In Sharepoint Portal Admin I had to add a Path Exclusion.  Took me a whi...

Web resources about - Noob ASP.NET/Web Services question (PLEASE CANCEL this post. I moved it to the "XML Web Services" forum.) - asp.net.networking-webservices