Is it possible to call client side function from server side code without initial client request?

Atlas is great. I'm using timer to periodically check database changes on server to populate client side controls with new data. Is it possible to do it without a lot of client requests to server which takes a huge useless network traffic? Server should call client side function on all connected clients when, for example, 'database updated' event occurs on server. Thanks.
0
elick
8/28/2006 2:45:16 PM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi~ Just for your interest, I think you could have a look at Comet, many web IM like Gmail's embeded Gtalk and meebo.com are built on this architecture
你好! Just FYI o_O
0
Gordon

Call client side function from server side code
My problem is that in some point of the VB.Net code I need to call a function defined in vbScript, for example: Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click   'There's some code here....   ' ...   If (SomeCondition) Then   'HERE'S WHERE I NEED TO CALL THE JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION... SO HOW CAN I DO THAT?   Else     '...   End If   ' ... End Sub The asp.net code runs to generate the html and when it is done the html is rendered in your browser. So you can't access cli...

How do I call server side function in client side script without using __doPostBack
Hello, My page has a server side panel that is hidden when the page loaded, checkboxes inside of the datagrid, and buttons.  If at least one checkbox is not clicked and the user click on the button, I show the panel.  When the user click on one of the checkbox, I want to hide the panel.  Onclick on the checkbox I already have a cleint function to change the row color.  I don't want to use __doPostBack.  Don't want to do postback. My question are: How do I either have checkbox onclick called both client and server side functions.  Or have the client side func...

How to call server side(C#) function from Client side(Javascript) function?
Hi i have used below functions,  function HandleOnClose() {// this function will be called after clicking browsers close button in Internet explorer if (event.clientY < 0) { event.returnValue = 'Are you sure you want to leave the page?'; } // if he clicks ok then i need to call one server side function in this instance.. else not. } <body onbeforeunload="HandleOnClose()" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">other controls in page..</div>  How to achieve this? Thanks MS AJAX Extensions would be the option of choice here. Combined with webservices you can...

Calling a client side function from the server side

Calling server-side code from client-side
Hi,  I´m implementing some shortcut functionality in my web forms and wanna know where i can find something that explains, for example, how to call the handler event "onclick" of a button. I´m using this library to add shortcuts to my controls: http://www.openjs.com/scripts/events/keyboard_shortcuts/   And I want to "link" some key combination for the event handlers of the controls. Does anybody knows?  Thanks. You could attach an AJAX event to the Javascript shortcut event handler so, for example, the shortcut function will trigger a button cl...

How to call server side function on client side
Hi,   How to call server side function on client side? here i want to call change() function on textbox onchange event.   <script language="javascript">    function serverfunction()    {    }    </script><input id="Text1" onchange="javascript:serverfunction();"  type="text" /> code behind:  public void change()    {        Response.Write("hello");    } <script type=&quo...

Calling server side function from client side alert
Hi, I am developing an ASP.Net application in which I am giving client side alert to the user with OK and Cancel buttons. Can I call a server side function from the click of this button? For e.g. I have to give user alert "Do you want to save record" with Yes/No button. On Yes button click it should go to the server and save the record. Can I call some server side function from the Yes button click? Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ashish I would create a button control, say Button1. set Button1.visible=False then, ...

How to Call server side and client side function on same LinkButton
hello,         i have one linkbutton when i click on linkbutton i insert record in DB using onclick=Linkbutton_click. if successfully insert then returnvalue is 1. after return 1 i want to call javascript function. how i can do this? Reply ASAP. Is It Possible? e.g. <asp:LinkButton ID="Operation_Link" runat="server" OnClick="Operation_Link_Click"></asp:LinkButton>protected void Operation_Link_Click(object sender, EventArgs e) {if (Operation_Link.Text == "SUBMIT") {ReturnValue = company.InsertCompany...

Problem call a server-side code from Client-side
Hi; I want to call a server-side code from client-Side at javascript function. must me use from Ajax or Http Requests in Javascript?   Thanks,mohsen  You'll have to make an AJAX call form your client side to acheive thisRegards,Muhammed Saleem P---------------------------------------------Please do not forget to click "Mark As Answer" on the posts that helped you.Happy Programming !!! I answered a question with sample code very similar to this one here: http://forums.asp.net/p/1358277/2799269.aspx#2799269 NC...  ...

call server side funciton from client side code.
how can i call a server side fuction which is a button click event "btnSave_click(object serder, EventArgs e) " from java script function ? there is an ifram on a master page, the javascript.js file is included on master page while the page that has function btnSave_click(object serder, EventArgs e) is loaded in iframe.  you just can'tasp.net is server side technologies and javascript a client side technologies the only way for the server to know what's happening on the client is to posback the page for instancethey are workaround to do thischeck out this post,...

Advantage of calling Webservice from server side/client side.
Hi Folks,      I've an issue sending/receiving huge amount of data from webservices. When a webmethod is called from javascript, it fails due to the size restriction of the data (> 4MB) that can be transferred. My application architechture do have webservices and asp.net applications hosted on the same server. I'm wondering, if I can make a PageMethod call to a static method on my codebehind file and then the static method makes a call to the webservice would solve the issue? Any thoughts on this, would be really helpful? (I was trying to use WSE3.0 to incres...

Calling a server-side procedure from a client-side function
I have a server side function that executes a database stored procedure, and I need to be able to call it from a javascript function.  Is this possible (without using an iFrame)?  Post back the page or use Ajax. Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn...

calling server side function from client side script
i have a web form that includes a function named "koko()" in its server side class i want to write a script code in in its HTML script that will be run at the client side, and this client side script will call the function "koko()" from the server side. in brief : i want to call a server side function from a client side script... can you help me in this You can't call server-side code directly from client-side code. You can, however, trigger a postback that your server-side code watches for and triggers the server-side code appropriately. You can do some ...

how to call server side function from client side javascript?
Hi all, I have a image button in the update panel. I would like to call a method from server side (not from webservice) to get the variable when Onclick on the image button is invoked. Is there any way that I can able to access this function from the client script? In using the UpdatePanel, in essence, you're already doing this because there will not be a full postback.  You can make an asynchronous call to your Click method of your ImageButton.  So, what do you want to do with this "variable"?Christopher Reed"The oxen are slow, but the earth is patient."...

Web resources about - Is it possible to call client side function from server side code without initial client request? - asp.net.networking-webservices

Match-Fixing Scandal Rocks Tennis World With Australian Open Underway
Match-fixing has been prevalent in soccer for a long time, invoking a black eye on the world’s most popular sport. But now, it’s cast a large ...

‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Dominates the Critics’ Choice Awards, but ‘Spotlight’ Is Truly Shiny and Chrome
The Critics’ Choice Awards don’t always reflect what eventually goes down at the Academy Awards , but they reflect it just often enough to go ...

The Final Nail in El Chapo's Coffin Was a "Big Order of Tacos"
Mexican authorities were already closing in on Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán when a “big order of tacos” confirmed they were looking in the right ...

Twitter and YouTube unblocked in Iran for some users after sanctions lifted
Iranian journalists have found that Iran's bans on Twitter and YouTube were lifted

American home after 40-day Iran prison ordeal: report
An American student released by Iran after 40 days in prison has returned home to Massachusetts for an emotional reunion with his family, The ...

London street artist creates beautiful homage to David Bowie
LONDON — A British street artist has paid tribute to Bowie with a painting of the legendary singer in one of his most famous outfits. See also: ...

The Latest: King Rally out of Confederate Flag's Shadow
About 1,000 people have gathered under chilly and sunny skies at South Carolina's Statehouse to remember slain civil rights leader the Rev.

The CEO of WhatsApp explained why it killed its subscription fee
WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum has explained in an interview with Wired why the company killed its $0.99-a-year subscription option. "We've done really ...

France's Hollande sets out plan to tackle 'economic emergency'
President Francois Hollande pledged Monday to spend more than 2.0 billion euros ($2.2 billion) on tackling France's "state of economic emergency". ...

Why the Carolina Panthers can beat the Arizona Cardinals in NFC title game
Three reasons why the Carolina Panthers can beat the Arizona Cardinals in next Sunday's NFC Championship Game.