Accessing Wizard controls from client-side Javascript

Hello, all.  Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.  I know it is of questionable relevance given that the Wizard control is not an AJAX toolbox component, but since the Wizard is more useless without AJAX, I am hoping it is close enough to topic.

 I am dealing with a Viewstate issue that is forcing me to use ScriptingServices for most of my async communications in order to keep round-trip bandwidth manageable.  I want to be able to validate entries made on a long wizard both on-the-fly and at-once.  But using ScriptServices, I need to access the values in the Wizard controls from client-side.

Trouble is, I have found that the wizard controls and their values are only visible to the DOM if the wizard page is active.  Elements on non-active pages are totally inaccessible from client-side.

For example, a textbox with ID=TextBox1 is on page 1 of the wizard control ID=Wizard1; ID=TextBox2 is on page 2 of Wizard1

when Wizard1.ActiveStepIndex equates to page 1, then $get("TextBox1") works, but $get("TextBox2") does not.

I am assuming that there is some object reference to Wizard1 that can be used client-side to get the values from control on non-active pages, but I just can't seem to find it.

If anyone has experience with this and can tell me how to access these values, I would be highly appreciative.

Thank you again for the time, and in advance for any information you can provide.

0
mrgr8avill
10/22/2007 3:18:34 PM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

That's because only content of active step will be rendered. Though, all of them will be encoded and saved in ViewState.

My suggestion is use hiddenFields out of the wizard to keep the value of different steps, and they will be always generated and persisted.

0
Raymond
10/26/2007 8:22:15 AM

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.  That's exactly how I have decided to handle it.  It sure adds a lot of complication to what seemed like a pretty easy control.  Add to it that I am replacing long dropdown lists with static values after a selection has been made to trim the viewstate, and I think it would have been easier to start from scratch.

The hidden fields work great -- very good idea.

Thanks again!

0
mrgr8avill

How to access all the methods of server controls and infragistics controls from client-side javascript.
I have some web controls on my page, which i want to manipulate without going to the server, that is, from a client-side javascript. I know how to call them with the documents.forms.... but i do not know how to call their methods. For the text box, the method to manipulate it is 'value'. It's a property i think. for the html <select> it is the 'options' array. But for the others, I dont know.My question is the following:I have an infragistics control: the UltraWebTree.This is its code in html: <ignav:ultrawebtree id="UltraWebTree1" style="Z-INDEX: 108; LEFT: 352p...

Accessing server-side control in client-side javascript function; on Content page
I am trying to set an asp:textbox value in the Client side javascript function. It works fine on the standalone page. But when i try to do this the Content page, it’s giving the follwoing error message. document.getElementByID[...] is null of not an object  Any idea? Thanks, Riz   Hi, are you using ClientID property of that server control, to get its ID (which is rendered at the client and can be used with document.getElementById )?Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU Thank you my problem is solved....

Adding Client-side Javascript to a Wizard Control SideBarButton
I would like to add a javascript function call to the SideBarButton in an ASP:Wizard control in ASP 3.5. I have a onbeforeunload function defined that I do not want to execute everytime the user clicks on a menu item in the sidebar (causing a postback). It should only be called when the user closes the web page. I would like to set a var when the user clicks a menu item that the onbeforeunload function can evaluate and know to skip the onbeforeunload function for this postback. This is the javascript on the webpage:     <script type="text/javascript"> &...

How to access dynamically Html controls (client side controls) using C# server side scripts
Folks,I have problem try to to access dynamically Html controls (client side controls) using C# server side scripts. Please give me helps.     The error is as follows Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.Source Error: Line 79: { Line 80: Control c = Page.FindControl("ddlTC" + i); Line 81: ((DropDownList)c).DataSource = mdt; Line 82: ((DropDownList)c).DataTextField = "ClassID"; Line 83: ((DropDownList)c).DataValueField = "Course"; My aspx page source codes: ...<...

In datawindow.net,access the database from client side event using javascript
In powerbuilder,for example,a datawindow has two columns:itemno,description. input an itemno,validate it.if not found from the database,return 1 to trigger itemerror event; if found,get the description of the item from the database,and fill it into the column "description". The question is how to fulfill the function in web datawindow,through web service? if so,I need an example to realize it. You will need to use AJAX or make a round trip on item change event. -- Dean Jones CEO PowerObjects http://www.powerobjects.com (612) 339-3355 Ext. 112 TeamSybase * *...

Question re: accessing web control values via client-side javascript
This block of variables gets generated dynamically from my _PreRender event of my formView : <SCRIPT Language='JavaScript'>  var chkInvertAliasID = 'ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_FormView1_chkEditInvert';  var chkAct_CurAliasID = 'ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_FormView1_chkEditAct_Cur';  var radBuy_SellAliasID = 'ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_FormView1_radioEditBuySell'; </SCRIPT> Now on the client-side I get a handle to above-declared var's : function QuoteConvention(obj) {         var objChkInvert = document.getElementById(chkInv...

How to access the properties and methods of the ActiveX control on the client side in Web Form using javascript or vbscript
Hi All, I have looked almost every where for this, and I'll be really appreciated if someone can help me with this. I found a article in MS KB article, #317392, but it is not extactly what I wanted. How do you reference an ActiveX control's methods and properties with javascript in the ASPX? Following is what I have. Some how the following line in the btnclick() does not seems to be working. AlarmCtl.StartTimer() I have done this with just .HTML and it works just fine. Can any one help. Thanks in advance. //===========================...

Accessing server-side Datatable object from client-side javascript?
I am working on a control  that generates 2D charts (line,bar,pie,etc) using VML (for now) to draw the charts client-side. I am new to Javascript and still cant figure out how to access the data I need to graph from the javascript side.  I am currently using a Sys.Data.Datable on the client side as test data (building the table manually in javascript) and it works fine but I cannot figure how to pass a datatable from the server to the control extension behavior? I have read/seen code on the forums on how to do this using a web-service but I am really looking a...

How to access Client Side control in server side button click event?

Problem accessing server side array values from javascript client side function
i faced the following problem ..i have an array that store the values of a resultset row under the server side coding.How do i retrieve them under my client side javascript function.I wrote the following coding under my client side function and it got an error.BSCStr is an array storing data from a resultset row which i did under the server side coding. From client side function: addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + <%=BSCStr[i]%>; First of all, you can't mix server-side and client-side code. The reason is that the protocol that is used to communicate betwee...

Problem accessing a server side declared array from the client side javascript function.
I have an array that store the values of a resultset row under the server side coding.How do i retrieve them under my client side javascript function.I wrote the following coding under my client side function and it got an error.BSCStr is an array storing data from a resultset row which i did under the server side coding. From client side javascript function: addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + <%=BSCStr[i]%>; Hi wingshya, Did you still need help with this thread? Jason ConwayMCP, MCTS, Certified SCRUM Masterasp.net blog...

Problem accessing server side array values from client side javascript function
i faced the following problem ..i have an array that store the values of a resultset row under the server side coding.How do i retrieve them under my client side javascript function.I wrote the following coding under my client side function and it got an error.BSCStr is an array storing data from a resultset row which i did under the server side coding. From client side function: addr=addr + "&C" + i + "=" + <%=BSCStr[i]%>;...

Can we access controls within user controls on the client side without using ctl0_ControlsName
When we create controls within our user controls, the way we can access those controls in client side is i guess:getElementByID('the client id')but the server chnages the names of those controls to:  clt0_Controlsname, so i always have to use add ctl0 when I want to access to my controls of the user control on the client side.is there a solution to this or that s just the way it isthank you Thanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. Hello tutus,this is maybe the most frequent question in this forum, did you notice?This problems is related to all server co...