"Dynamic" Web Services, "Dynamic" Parameters

This is a follow-up discussion from http://forums.asp.net/t/1332722.aspx?PageIndex=2. I noticed we stopped talking about Peter's problem some time ago.

The discussion had become one of passing "XML strings" to a web service in order to permit optional parameters, a dynamic web service, and things like that.

My contention is that this is a solution without a requirement. It is something that we can do, which does not imply that anyone needs us to do it.

First of all, if you need to send XML, then send XML. Do not send a string that happens to have XML embedded in it. ASMX web services may accept parameters of type XmlElement or XmlDocument, and may return the same. I've done this in a commercial web service, when it was easier to implement the service this way than by creating a very large complicated class to hold the same data. The internal processing of this service was also more convenient to implement using XML. The clients have no idea that XML is being used - it's an implementation technique only. I wrote my own WSDL and XML Schemas, and that's what they see and use. I did not force them to play with XML.

There are also a very few good reasons for creating a "dynamic" web service that operates on XML. For instance, if the service performs an XML Transform or XQuery operation against the incoming XML and returns the result. In this case, the client code was written in terms of XML, so it is natural for the client code to send XML.

It is also possible to create automated tests for such a service, because the operation of service is an operation on XML. It's easy to see if the service does the right thing, and to see how it handles invalid XML.

But as soon as you start talking about a service being written to handle data that it doesn't know how to handle, then I start worrying about how you can prove that it "doesn't handle it" in the correct way!

Anyway, if more discussion is necessary, then let's have it here.

John Saunders | MVP – Connected System Developer
0
johnwsaunders3
10/15/2008 6:26:17 PM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

My whole idea of passing a string which happens to have XML tags in it was based on the Fetch method for the Microsoft CRM web service (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa680903.aspx). There, the callers will have to send a well defined XML request inside a string and get some response back. Now, in that scenario, they have a schema definition for the XML tags that are going to come from the string (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa681833.aspx). So, my question here is that, shouldn't the web service either error out when it gets an XML that is different than that is required? OR, parse the tags that are defined in the schema definition and ignore the tags that are supposedly NEW?

So, in effect, if you have a schema definition for the XML tags that are going to come from the string, isn't your web service automatically capable enough to handle things that are not defined in the schema definition and ignore them or error out?

0
tejpalthatte
10/16/2008 1:41:51 AM

Dumb is dumb, even if it's in a product that Microsoft acquired. They didn't write it, remember?

Look at that MSDN page again. Does that look like the kind of API you'd be proud to expose your customers to? Remember, these are people who are paying you money - you're supposed to be nice to them, not to make them get the quoting right on "XML Strings".

And I may have missed it, but I didn't notice any examples of processing the responses, which were, again, "XML strings". That's likely for the same reason they didn't show examples of using the .NET XML APIs to create the requests, but instead showed the use of literal strings - they have created an API which is too difficult for their users to use, or for them to explain to their users. They seem to have created an API that requires their users to be savvy enough to construct an XML document and send it, then to parse an XML document on receipt. It's a bad idea, and indicates that they have a better idea of their own requirements as developers of the query functionality than they do of their customers requirements in using that functionality.

I hope there's a UI on top of that query language.

John Saunders | MVP – Connected System Developer
0
johnwsaunders3

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

"Using" or "With"

"Me" is better than "You"

"-" not "_"

replace the "." with a ","

Using "+" or "||"

double quote

Replacing "\\" with "\"

"To" and "From" missing

Please compare "web service" and "remote services"
Somebody, please tell me the different beetween "web services" and "remote services". So, "web services" and "remote services" which one is better? Please tell me This might provide some insight. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/dotnetremotearch.asp The really question at hand is what kind of project? Frank ...

"JROC" / "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ"
I just started a new contract and the tech lead told me that he wanted me to become familiar with something called "JROC" (among some other tools). I've been searching the web and I haven't found any dev tool called "JROC." Based on the name of the tool, it sounds like it encapsulates some javascript functionality. I have tried searching for different spellings - "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ" but I haven't found any matches. Have you ever heard of a dev tool by this name?...

Web resources about - "Dynamic" Web Services, "Dynamic" Parameters - asp.net.networking-webservices