How to access a control in the Content Page from javascript in Master Page?

How do I access a control in the Content Page from javascript in Master Page?

Say, I have a dropdown list 'CountryDDL' in my Content Page. When I click on a button in the Content Page, I call a javascript function. The javascript file is included in the master page. From within this javascript function, I have to access CountryDDL and find the selected index etc...

Because of Master page - content page hierarchy, document.getElementById('CountryDDL') doesnt seem to work.

Is there  any alternate approach?

0
kamdbid

use

 document.getElementById('<%CountryDDL.ClientID%>')

but note your Javascript should be in the content tags...

Somnath Mali
.NET Developer , Pune INDIA.

Please Mark As Answer If my reply helped you.

0
somnathmali
7/26/2007 7:14:41 AM

The line document.getElementById('<%CountryDDL.ClientID%>') gives an error in the script function.

If we put some alert or simple var declaration within the script tag, it works fine. But when I try to do document.getElementById('<%CountryDDL.ClientID%>') , BUILD happens successfully. But when we try to run it, it gives a strange error.

0
kamdbid

 If you access it like above, it will tell you "The name 'ddlCountry' does not exist in the current context", because the CountryDDL control is on the content page, if the CountryDDL control is on the master page, it will woke fine.

But you can find  the CountryDDL's clientid at the render time. the clientid ="ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$ddlCountry", so you can access this control like this:  document.getElementById('ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$CountryDDL'')

Hope it helps.

Amanda Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Amanda
7/30/2007 7:52:59 AM

 document.getElementById('<%=CountryDDL.ClientID%>')

0
Santhy

accessing content page controls from a javascript which is included in master page
Hi - Is there any way of accessing the controls (for example getting textbox's text) of content page from the javascript which is included in the master page? "OR" How can I inlcude javascript in a content page which is integrated/created with a master page? Here is the situation where I am stuck: I have several aspx pages. On button click events I insert data into the database from those pages. Some pages require administrator and other team memeber's attention, so I send email to the users on button click events too. but the javascript that sends emails had to inclu...

Need to access a Label Control on the Master Page from a user control attached to a content page
Hello all, I have a master page (say  site.master)  with a status Label in it. I have a content page ( say content.aspx)  that has a user control (say usercontrol.ascx). One of the Button Click Events in the usercontrol.ascx needs to pass on some text onto the status label on the masterpage(LabelStatusMsg) and display it. I have been able to do this directly off a content page (content.aspx) by using the following code (VB)  on the master page <%@ MasterType virtualpath="~/site.master" %> and Dim mpLabel As Label = CType(Master.FindControl("LabelStatusMsg"),...

Accessing Controls Content Pages from Master Page
how do i access controls content pages from master page?Its all about coding! I would raise an event from the master page and handle it on the content page.  You can commuicate any data through customized event args.  This article explains in detail how to raise and consume an event: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9aackb16(VS.80).aspx  HTH,Phillip Williams,http://www.webswapp.com Let's say your master page has a textbox whose ID is MasterTextBox. TextBox tb = Page.Master.FindControl("MasterTextBox") as TextBox;...

Content page accessing master page controls?
I'm probably that much of a noob that I've deviated from the path authors of ASP.NET 2.0 thought of how master and content pages should off been used... Looking from the outside it seemed logical to me that (even on this website) a search text box should be part of a master page and a page that displays results should be a content page... So the problem I'm having (if my hunch about that search textbox control in the header of say even this very website being part of a master page, and result page that subsequently loads underneath the header after you click go bei...

Accessing Content Page Control From Master Page
I'd like to access the value of a control residing on a content page from the associated master page. Can anyone point me in the right direction?   Thanks When you know the classname of your page, use: (in VB.NET) CType(Page, classname).ControlID.propertyName But this code will go wrong on all the other pages, so you have to check on which page you are. This being said, I advise you to consider another approach.Your master page should not use code that depends on the design of a particular content page. Your content pages should depend on your master page, not the other ...

Accessing master page controls from content page
Hello,Here's a snippet from my listing.master page:<%@ master Language="C#" %>     public string Listing_Name    {        get { return lis_name.Text; }    }    protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)    {       lis_name.Text = "Hello World"    } ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In my content page, Master.Listing_Name shows blank, why?<...

Access Content Page Control from Master Page
I use Master page in my application. i want to access the content page control (Text Box)  from master page and change the control (Text Box) value. i cant find the text box by using Findcontrol also Let’s turn to the FindControl documentation on MSDN. FindControl searches the current naming container for the specified server control. Master.FindControl("ContentPageHolder1").FindControl(TextBox) Reading this nice article.http://odetocode.com/Articles/450.aspx   MPI never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he hasread. -Samuel Johnson, lexic...

accessing repeater control in master page from content page
Hello,In my master page, I have a repeater control named "repJobs" and I made it public like so:    public Repeater Rep_Jobs    {        set         {             repJobs.DataSource = value;            repJobs.DataBind();        }    }    From my content page, I tried to assign a datasource to it (a DataTable named "dt") ...

Problem Accessing Page Controls in a page that has a master page.
Hi,  I have a problem with accessing the controls of a page that has a masterpage. I am trying to access the Page.Controls from the code behind in the class file but no controls are returned.I can access single controls (ex. txtAddress.Text) but not the whole array of controls (ex. Page.Controls).  The controls structure is..                                 MasterPage  >  PlaceHolder > MyPage.aspx &n...

Problem to use TreeView Control in a 'content page' This Error Occur "Only Content controls are allowed directly in a content page that contains Content controls."
hi I am trying to use the TreeView Control inside the content page (Page that has a master page is a content page). On compiling the project I got the following ASP.Net runtime error: "Only Content controls are allowed directly in a content page that contains Content controls."B@b@R J Issue resolved. I was putting script tag in the content page that is not allowed. when remove the script from content page problem is resolved.B@b@R J...

accessing controls in master page and adding event to content page
Hi  I've currently got a control on my master page and i'm trying to write an even on the content page that fires when the button is clicked, I don't think it is working though. Can someone help? The code is below:  masterpage <asp:ImageButton id="imgButton" runat="server"/> code behind Public Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load, Me.Load Public ReadOnly Property lnkbFromMasterPage() As ImageButtonGetReturn imgButtonEnd GetEnd Property  content page code behind: Public Sub Page_Load(ByVa...

Access value of a user control from Master Page in content page
 Dear Experts,Please help me on this issue. I have a master page which is composed of user controls like header, footer, left menu and content place holder. Now I want to access a value from header in the content place holder page. How to achieve this? Regards salah You first need to expose the value from the header as a public property and then you'll need to expose that (or the user control) as a public property of the master page. Here's an article about exposing properties on a master page - http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/InsideMasterPages.aspx; you use the...

Accessing server control in sub master page from content page
Hi there, I am trying to access server controls in sub master page from content page to no avail, would anyone please kindly advise me on how to do this? Let's say that MasterPage.master is the main master page. In SubMaster.master, I have the following code: <%@ Master MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" %> <script runat="server" language="vb">     Public Property transfer_data() As Label         Get             Return lblSearch      ...

accessing user control peroperty ...from the content page(Master page)
I have written a property in the .ascx page, I want to set this property from the content page...I use the following code..System.Web.UI.UserControl csd = (UserControl)this.Master.FindControl("BreadCrump1");        string s = csd.ToString(); I am getting the control name and the property name in the "csd" object, My question is how to access set the value of the property from the csd object Any help will be appreciated.. Thanks in advanceRaj  ...

Access Master Page control in Content Page and Process Events

Accessing user control defined in master page from any content pages
I have a user control named header.ascx in a master page.  This user control contains a labels which states "You have logged in as Guest ". Now i have a home page, named home.aspx which contains a login.ascx user control.  Now whenever somebody provides the correct logon details i would like the status in the main masterpage user control to be changed to "You have logged in as ___" (name of the user).NB: In order to facilitate this i would be able to access the master page user control label field.  How do i do that?Steps already tried are as follows: ...

How to access Master page file contents in user control page?
Hi Friends,My problem scenario:I have a masterpage. In that I have 5 <a ...>Show Text</a> parts ok.I have created a default.aspx. I referenced the masterpage in it.I have now products.ascx user control file.This will be shown in Default's contentpage holder right.Now i want to access masterpage file's anchors along with its text in products.ascx . How can i achieve it? or is there any workaorund for it? pl fell free if my problem dowsn't elaborate itself.ThanksPrashant V. Your user control shouldn't access the Master page directly, as it will lead to a direct d...

Show content in both Master Page ContentPlaceholder AND Content Page Content control
I note that by default or rendering rules, when you add content/controls to the Content Page ASP:Content control matched to a Master Page ContentPlaceholder, any content/controls in the matching Master Page ContentPlaceholder is not displayed. Is there a setting that can be made to merge or show both content/controls in the Master Page ContentPlaceholder and content/controls in the matching Content Page Content control? Thanks         Don't think so. If you specify a content control in your page then whatever is in there displays and anything in the...

Accessing a master page's control in a nested content Page(Urgent)
Hi all, I have a masterpage rm_master.masterand another masterpage rm_sub.master which inherits from rm_master.master. Now I want to access a dropdownlist control in a content page which derieves from rm_select_master. the code i used wasDropDownList DropDownList1 = (DropDownList)Master.FindControl("DropDownList1");string a; a = DropDownList1.Text;   The error i got was "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Please help.. Thanks in advance.. Bharath You can try Page.FindControl or use the mastertype directivePlease remember to click “...

Accessing contnet page's control in the Javascript code of master page
Hello  I have one master page in which i put javascript code, CSS and one Content place Holder. In my content page i add two control one for Login and another for pass word and one Custom validator control. Now i want to call the Javascript code which is written in Master page as the Clinet function in my Custom Validator control to run to validate the value entered in the login and password(TextBox) control. How i do this. My content page having Server side script that i want to call to validate page at the server side. For submitting the page i use Button control and in its PostB...

Control of the page and the controls on a page
I am building a web app that has some pages that are public and some that are only available based on subscription. Could someone explain the best way (infrastructure wise) how to control whether a server control is visible or enabledand how to control whether a page is viewable or not based on the user and whether or not the user is logged in (or not). If a user is not logged in I would like some controls to be visible but disabled. I also have to control the URL's in case a person learnsthe URL and tries to type it in. My question is more towards how to do this database wise. I am u...

Web resources about - How to access a control in the Content Page from javascript in Master Page? - asp.net.navigation-controls

JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
programming styles. JavaScript was formalized in the ECMAScript language standard and is primarily used in the form of client-side JavaScript ...

... editor - report abuse/spam - help the entire directory only in Tools/Obfuscators Description Top : Computers : Programming : Languages : JavaScript ...

JavaScript
The Facebook SDK for JavaScript provides a rich set of client-side functionality for adding Social Plugins, making API calls and implementing ...