Accessing master page controls from content page

Hello,

Here's a snippet from my listing.master page:

<%@ master Language="C#" %>

    public string Listing_Name
    {
        get { return lis_name.Text; }
    }

    {
       lis_name.Text = "Hello World"
    }

In my content page, Master.Listing_Name shows blank, why?

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="listing.master" %>
<%@ MasterType VirtualPath="listing.master" %>

    {
       Response.Write(Master.Listing_Name);   //  should display "Hello World"
    }

0
Totenkopf

This is because the content page goes through page_load before the master page does so when you hit your Response.Write the master page has not yet gone through page_load and hasn't set the text property to "Hello World." If you put the Response.Write in Page_LoadComplete or Page_PreRender in your content page you should see that it returns "Hello World" as you want.
If this post answered your question please remember to 'Mark as Answer'!
0
bpag
4/20/2007 5:49:21 PM

I was going to say the same thing as the other responder but, before I did, I ran your code on my computer and it worked.  So I'm not sure why that worked for me.

One thing that I did change, though, is that you didn't have a semi-colon after the Page_Load code in the Master Page.  Once I added that in and compiled my project (without any other changes) it worked for me.

So I guess make sure that you don't have that same error in your own code because, if you do, that is the problem.  However, if you don't have that, then I would suspect it is the lifecycle order of the Master Page and the Content Pages conflicting as well.  You could set it directly in the property accessof (get { return "Hello World!";}) or just move the value setting determination to an earlier event (maybe even Page_PreInit).

Hope that helps.

Professional ASP.NET 2.0 Design: CSS, Themes, and Master Pages
by Jacob J. Sanford

0
surfer5

Need to access a Label Control on the Master Page from a user control attached to a content page
Hello all, I have a master page (say  site.master)  with a status Label in it. I have a content page ( say content.aspx)  that has a user control (say usercontrol.ascx). One of the Button Click Events in the usercontrol.ascx needs to pass on some text onto the status label on the masterpage(LabelStatusMsg) and display it. I have been able to do this directly off a content page (content.aspx) by using the following code (VB)  on the master page <%@ MasterType virtualpath="~/site.master" %> and Dim mpLabel As Label = CType(Master.FindControl("LabelStatusMsg"),...

Accessing Controls Content Pages from Master Page
how do i access controls content pages from master page?Its all about coding! I would raise an event from the master page and handle it on the content page.  You can commuicate any data through customized event args.  This article explains in detail how to raise and consume an event: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9aackb16(VS.80).aspx  HTH,Phillip Williams,http://www.webswapp.com Let's say your master page has a textbox whose ID is MasterTextBox. TextBox tb = Page.Master.FindControl("MasterTextBox") as TextBox;...

Access Content Page Control from Master Page
I use Master page in my application. i want to access the content page control (Text Box)  from master page and change the control (Text Box) value. i cant find the text box by using Findcontrol also Let’s turn to the FindControl documentation on MSDN. FindControl searches the current naming container for the specified server control. Master.FindControl("ContentPageHolder1").FindControl(TextBox) Reading this nice article.http://odetocode.com/Articles/450.aspx   MPI never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he hasread. -Samuel Johnson, lexic...

Accessing Content Page Control From Master Page
I'd like to access the value of a control residing on a content page from the associated master page. Can anyone point me in the right direction?   Thanks When you know the classname of your page, use: (in VB.NET) CType(Page, classname).ControlID.propertyName But this code will go wrong on all the other pages, so you have to check on which page you are. This being said, I advise you to consider another approach.Your master page should not use code that depends on the design of a particular content page. Your content pages should depend on your master page, not the other ...

Content page accessing master page controls?
I'm probably that much of a noob that I've deviated from the path authors of ASP.NET 2.0 thought of how master and content pages should off been used... Looking from the outside it seemed logical to me that (even on this website) a search text box should be part of a master page and a page that displays results should be a content page... So the problem I'm having (if my hunch about that search textbox control in the header of say even this very website being part of a master page, and result page that subsequently loads underneath the header after you click go bei...

Problem Accessing Page Controls in a page that has a master page.
Hi,  I have a problem with accessing the controls of a page that has a masterpage. I am trying to access the Page.Controls from the code behind in the class file but no controls are returned.I can access single controls (ex. txtAddress.Text) but not the whole array of controls (ex. Page.Controls).  The controls structure is..                                 MasterPage  >  PlaceHolder > MyPage.aspx &n...

How to access a control in the Content Page from javascript in Master Page?
How do I access a control in the Content Page from javascript in Master Page? Say, I have a dropdown list 'CountryDDL' in my Content Page. When I click on a button in the Content Page, I call a javascript function. The javascript file is included in the master page. From within this javascript function, I have to access CountryDDL and find the selected index etc... Because of Master page - content page hierarchy, document.getElementById('CountryDDL') doesnt seem to work. Is there  any alternate approach? use  document.getElementById('<%Countr...

accessing repeater control in master page from content page
Hello,In my master page, I have a repeater control named "repJobs" and I made it public like so:    public Repeater Rep_Jobs    {        set         {             repJobs.DataSource = value;            repJobs.DataBind();        }    }    From my content page, I tried to assign a datasource to it (a DataTable named "dt") ...

Problem to use TreeView Control in a 'content page' This Error Occur "Only Content controls are allowed directly in a content page that contains Content controls."
hi I am trying to use the TreeView Control inside the content page (Page that has a master page is a content page). On compiling the project I got the following ASP.Net runtime error: "Only Content controls are allowed directly in a content page that contains Content controls."B@b@R J Issue resolved. I was putting script tag in the content page that is not allowed. when remove the script from content page problem is resolved.B@b@R J...

accessing content page controls from a javascript which is included in master page
Hi - Is there any way of accessing the controls (for example getting textbox's text) of content page from the javascript which is included in the master page? "OR" How can I inlcude javascript in a content page which is integrated/created with a master page? Here is the situation where I am stuck: I have several aspx pages. On button click events I insert data into the database from those pages. Some pages require administrator and other team memeber's attention, so I send email to the users on button click events too. but the javascript that sends emails had to inclu...

accessing user control peroperty ...from the content page(Master page)
I have written a property in the .ascx page, I want to set this property from the content page...I use the following code..System.Web.UI.UserControl csd = (UserControl)this.Master.FindControl("BreadCrump1");        string s = csd.ToString(); I am getting the control name and the property name in the "csd" object, My question is how to access set the value of the property from the csd object Any help will be appreciated.. Thanks in advanceRaj  ...

Web resources about - Accessing master page controls from content page - asp.net.navigation-controls

Student pleads guilty to accessing records about Frances Abbott design scholarship
The Sydney student who leaked information about a fashion school scholarship controversially awarded to the daughter of the Prime Minister has ...

Accessing a headline opinion
Accessing a headline opinion

Sharp increase in authorities accessing private data
Australian law enforcement and government agencies have sharply increased their access without warrant to vast quantities of private telephone ...

Former librarian charged with accessing student records of Frances Abbott
A former part-time librarian at a Sydney design school has been charged after she allegedly accessed student records of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's ...