Accessing Content Page Control From Master Page

I'd like to access the value of a control residing on a content page from the associated master page. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

jazzbo

When you know the classname of your page, use: (in VB.NET)

CType(Page, classname).ControlID.propertyName

But this code will go wrong on all the other pages, so you have to check on which page you are.

This being said, I advise you to consider another approach.
Your master page should not use code that depends on the design of a particular content page.
Your content pages should depend on your master page, not the other way round.

Jos

0
Jos
12/2/2007 7:59:26 PM

While you're correct, I've inherited this particular problem and need a quick fix before the scheduled redesign of the particular site in 2nd Q 2008.

Thanks.

0
jazzbo

Base on your description, you want to access the content page from the master page, right?

You can try to use session, or  try to create a base page class inherit the page class, like below steps:

1. Create a base class (in your App_Code folder) which inherits from the "Page" class, and declare the function or property is virtual
2. Make all your content pages from your new Base class instead of directly from the "Page" class, and override the virtual functions or the property according to your requirment.
3. Calll the base class and covert the base page type to access the content page.

For example:

1. The base class:

public class BasePages: System.Web.UI.Page
{
 public BasePages()
 {
  //
  // TODO: Add constructor logic here
  //
 }

    public virtual string CheckString()//make the type is virtual
    {
        return "";
    }

  }

2. Make the content page inherit the base class, and overrid the virtual function:

public override string CheckString()
    {
        if (this.CheckBox1.Checked)
        {
            return "checked=1";
        }
        else
        {
            return "";
        }
    }

3. Call the content page from the master page:

  BasePages Currentpage = null;
    {
        Currentpage = this.Page as BasePages; // strang convert the type.
        if (Currentpage != null)
        {
            this.HyperLink1.NavigateUrl = this.HyperLink1.NavigateUrl + "?" + Currentpage.CheckString();
        }
    }

Hope it helps.

Amanda Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support

Amanda

Need to access a Label Control on the Master Page from a user control attached to a content page
Hello all, I have a master page (say  site.master)  with a status Label in it. I have a content page ( say content.aspx)  that has a user control (say usercontrol.ascx). One of the Button Click Events in the usercontrol.ascx needs to pass on some text onto the status label on the masterpage(LabelStatusMsg) and display it. I have been able to do this directly off a content page (content.aspx) by using the following code (VB)  on the master page <%@ MasterType virtualpath="~/site.master" %> and Dim mpLabel As Label = CType(Master.FindControl("LabelStatusMsg"),...

Access Content Page Control from Master Page
I use Master page in my application. i want to access the content page control (Text Box)  from master page and change the control (Text Box) value. i cant find the text box by using Findcontrol also Let’s turn to the FindControl documentation on MSDN. FindControl searches the current naming container for the specified server control. Master.FindControl("ContentPageHolder1").FindControl(TextBox) Reading this nice article.http://odetocode.com/Articles/450.aspx   MPI never desire to converse with a man who has written more than he hasread. -Samuel Johnson, lexic...

Accessing master page controls from content page
Hello,Here's a snippet from my listing.master page:<%@ master Language="C#" %>     public string Listing_Name    {        get { return lis_name.Text; }    }    protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)    {       lis_name.Text = "Hello World"    } ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In my content page, Master.Listing_Name shows blank, why?<...

Content page accessing master page controls?
I'm probably that much of a noob that I've deviated from the path authors of ASP.NET 2.0 thought of how master and content pages should off been used... Looking from the outside it seemed logical to me that (even on this website) a search text box should be part of a master page and a page that displays results should be a content page... So the problem I'm having (if my hunch about that search textbox control in the header of say even this very website being part of a master page, and result page that subsequently loads underneath the header after you click go bei...

Accessing Controls Content Pages from Master Page
how do i access controls content pages from master page?Its all about coding! I would raise an event from the master page and handle it on the content page.  You can commuicate any data through customized event args.  This article explains in detail how to raise and consume an event: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9aackb16(VS.80).aspx  HTH,Phillip Williams,http://www.webswapp.com Let's say your master page has a textbox whose ID is MasterTextBox. TextBox tb = Page.Master.FindControl("MasterTextBox") as TextBox;...

Problem Accessing Page Controls in a page that has a master page.
Hi,  I have a problem with accessing the controls of a page that has a masterpage. I am trying to access the Page.Controls from the code behind in the class file but no controls are returned.I can access single controls (ex. txtAddress.Text) but not the whole array of controls (ex. Page.Controls).  The controls structure is..                                 MasterPage  >  PlaceHolder > MyPage.aspx &n...

accessing repeater control in master page from content page
Hello,In my master page, I have a repeater control named "repJobs" and I made it public like so:    public Repeater Rep_Jobs    {        set         {             repJobs.DataSource = value;            repJobs.DataBind();        }    }    From my content page, I tried to assign a datasource to it (a DataTable named "dt") ...

How to access a control in the Content Page from javascript in Master Page?
How do I access a control in the Content Page from javascript in Master Page? Say, I have a dropdown list 'CountryDDL' in my Content Page. When I click on a button in the Content Page, I call a javascript function. The javascript file is included in the master page. From within this javascript function, I have to access CountryDDL and find the selected index etc... Because of Master page - content page hierarchy, document.getElementById('CountryDDL') doesnt seem to work. Is there  any alternate approach? use  document.getElementById('<%Countr...

Problem to use TreeView Control in a 'content page' This Error Occur "Only Content controls are allowed directly in a content page that contains Content controls."
hi I am trying to use the TreeView Control inside the content page (Page that has a master page is a content page). On compiling the project I got the following ASP.Net runtime error: "Only Content controls are allowed directly in a content page that contains Content controls."B@b@R J Issue resolved. I was putting script tag in the content page that is not allowed. when remove the script from content page problem is resolved.B@b@R J...

accessing user control peroperty ...from the content page(Master page)
I have written a property in the .ascx page, I want to set this property from the content page...I use the following code..System.Web.UI.UserControl csd = (UserControl)this.Master.FindControl("BreadCrump1");        string s = csd.ToString(); I am getting the control name and the property name in the "csd" object, My question is how to access set the value of the property from the csd object Any help will be appreciated.. Thanks in advanceRaj  ...

Accessing server control in sub master page from content page
Hi there, I am trying to access server controls in sub master page from content page to no avail, would anyone please kindly advise me on how to do this? Let's say that MasterPage.master is the main master page. In SubMaster.master, I have the following code: <%@ Master MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" %> <script runat="server" language="vb">     Public Property transfer_data() As Label         Get             Return lblSearch      ...

Web resources about - Accessing Content Page Control From Master Page - asp.net.navigation-controls

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...