Basic project runs from VS2008, not on hosted server - 3.5 installed on host

Hi,

I'm playing around with the new MVC stuff. I've created just a basic application from the templates with a Home and About. It works fine when running from VS2008 RTM. When I publish and move the files to my hosting server (webhost4life, .NET 3.5 installed, running from a sub-domain) the application opens, but clicking on the About link shows a 404 error. Other than the .cs files, everything is there. What else can I check?

 Thanks,

James

0
JamesIEDOTNET
12/11/2007 7:02:12 PM
asp.net.mvc 4300 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Do you have the <system.webserver> tags still in place? Do you know if they're running IIS6? It's a URL routing issue for sure, and IIS7 has wildcard mapping built in - you might want to check with wh4l and see if they have the ability to filter requests.

I have a feeling you might be their first MVCer and your help will be valuable :).

0
robconery
12/11/2007 9:03:10 PM

Hi Rob,

I guess I should've read the comments in the web.config. :) Ok, I commented out the entire <system.webServer> section and uploaded again, but it's still the same. When clicking on the About tag, the url becomes http://mvc.latinabusiness.net/Home/About. I did change the Url in Global.asax.cs as well, adding the ".mvc" after the [controller] as stated in the comments.

I will post a support message with WH4L to see what the environment is. What more should I ask about filtering requests?

Also, I wasn't clear on my first message. I am not running this app via IIS on my dev machine, just using the built in server with VS2008. Has that been changed to have wildcard mapping in it as well?

Thanks,

James

0
JamesIEDOTNET
12/11/2007 11:00:18 PM

Has WH4L installed the CTP?  I'm pretty sure the System.Web.Extension assembly needs to be installed into the GAC.

http://www.heliosfx.com
0
mxmissile
12/11/2007 11:20:07 PM

I dont' think they have. When I first ran the app I got an error that it couldn't find the 3.6 version, so I dropped the dll into the bin folder and, at least, the default page started rendering.

James

0
JamesIEDOTNET
12/11/2007 11:36:21 PM

hmmm... come to find out WH4L now says that 3.5 is not installed on the server.

0
JamesIEDOTNET
12/12/2007 5:25:55 PM

Ok, it got figured out. WH4L *did* have 3.5 installed on server. I had them map the .mvc extension to the asp.net runtime, and added the .mvc int the routing in the global.ascx file and it works now.

James

0
JamesIEDOTNET
12/14/2007 5:04:22 PM

If you can't get your host to map .mvc for you, you can still make this work.  Just choose a new extension already mapped to the ASP.NET runtime (.aspx, .ashx, .asmx, etc, etc).  You can even use something like ".mvc.ashx".

The UrlRoutingModule rewrites the request to "~/Mvc.axd", so it should just work.

Blog!
0
MrKurt
12/14/2007 6:24:22 PM

Thanks!

			RouteTable.Routes.Add( new Route
			{
				Url = "[controller].mvc.aspx/[action]/[id]",
				Defaults = new { action = "Index", id = ( string )null },
				RouteHandler = typeof( MvcRouteHandler )
			} );

0
jakenuts

I am also a WebHost4Life customer and have just requested helpdesk to apply a filter for the .mvc extension.

Hopefully that will do it.

With Regards

Shailen Sukul
Software Architect/Developer/Consultant/Trainer
(BSc| Mct| Mcpd |Mcts (Sharepoint, Biztalk, Web, Win, Dist Apps)| Mcsd.NET| Mcsd| Mcad)
Ashlen Consulting Services Pty Ltd
(http://www.ashlen.com.au)
0
shailensukul
1/22/2008 4:59:33 AM

 "

If you can't get your host to map .mvc for you, you can still make this work.  Just choose a new extension already mapped to the ASP.NET runtime (.aspx, .ashx, .asmx, etc, etc).  You can even use something like ".mvc.ashx".

The UrlRoutingModule rewrites the request to "~/Mvc.axd", so it should just work."

This does not work for me.

I host with webhost4life.

With Regards

Shailen Sukul
Software Architect/Developer/Consultant/Trainer
(BSc| Mct| Mcpd |Mcts (Sharepoint, Biztalk, Web, Win, Dist Apps)| Mcsd.NET| Mcsd| Mcad)
Ashlen Consulting Services Pty Ltd
(http://www.ashlen.com.au)
0
shailensukul
1/22/2008 5:19:21 AM

Ok the WebHost4Life helpdesk replied and said they have mapped the extension, but it still does not work.

I getting them to do an IISRESET.

With Regards

Shailen Sukul
Software Architect/Developer/Consultant/Trainer
(BSc| Mct| Mcpd |Mcts (Sharepoint, Biztalk, Web, Win, Dist Apps)| Mcsd.NET| Mcsd| Mcad)
Ashlen Consulting Services Pty Ltd
(http://www.ashlen.com.au)
0
shailensukul
1/22/2008 5:20:19 AM

 Hi, I'm running also on webhost4life and I had no problems with the support team. please review the steps I did to make working the website on a W2K3 without no Extensions setup. maybe it can help you out

 http://forums.asp.net/t/1208111.aspx

0
frankjperez

Hosting VB.Net web application project to New the Win 2K Server?
Well, type of my problem is pretty basic, but can't figure out hosting the project to another Windows 2000 Server with IIS 5.0.  I have installed MS Visual Studio .net 2002 for the devleopment in seprate server. Developed project can be easily hosted locally in this server.  I need to deploy this project in the live hosting, where none of the .net software is installed in the live server so far. What are my steps for hosting to simple basic server with IIS 5.0? Do I need any changes over web.config?...

Run Web Application Developed in VS.NET to Host server with Framework 1.1 Only
Hello...... I have recently developed web application using VS.NET 2002 and it's work fine in the local machine... I deploy it to host server but nothing work : 1- The Connection String. 2- Cannot Loadt Type() What steps must I do to make it work correctly? One of the errors : Server Error in '/EnCaps' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the follo...

Hosting DotNetNuke on a shared hosting server
I am trying to host DNN and because the actual web hosting company will not grant the dbo execute permissions as it a shared hosting package that I have I am really struggling. They have told me there are ways round this, I installed DNN on a test server and then generated scripts from the database then installed the scripts onto the webhosts sql server database which worked fine, but when I ran DNN on the host even with what should be an upgraded databases I find the DNN starts re-installing (upgrading) the database and then I get the same execut...

Basics.. Hosting a website on my own server using Server 2003.
Hello, I am a ready to lunch my fist website in asp.net 2.0. I have a 2003 server ready to go. I really need to know what steps I need to take to start hosting. I have installed SQL 2005, Visual Studio 2008 and Server Managment.. ( I do not have FTP Client, I am not sure if it is essential ). I have migrated the files from my local PC where  I developed the application to the server it is in 1 folder. For example called test. Now I need to point my Domain to my server, Do i do it with change of IP to my server IP or user DNS, i am not sure. and how do I point the domain to JUST that f...

new install on hosted server did not install module defs
I installed DNN 4.0.2 on a hosted server and the install generally went well.  I started setting up some portals and noticed that only 6 module definitions were loaded - none of the core modules, e.g., HTML, contacts, etc. were loaded.The files exist in the modules directory.Is there a way to load these module defs without going through a complete reinstall?If I have to reinstall, I learned that I need to delete the directory for each portal in the 'portals' directory.  Is there anyting else I should do? I figured it out - when I did the initial install the "Network Services" id ...

Running NCS on Xen Host (dom 0)
According to the docs you can install NCS on a Xen "host" and use Novell clustering to manager virtual machines as cluster resources. This sounds doable but... The question is this.... According to the docs, iManager is the utility that you use to manage a Xen Host based Novell cluster except, again, according to the docs, Novell doesn't support running iManager on the Xen host. So, how does one manage a cluster from the xen host if you can't install iManager on the Xen host. My first thought was that I could run the clustering plugins from iManager mobile bu...

run successfully on my local host but can not run my website on server
 Please help me my website can not run on the web server i installed all the required fields and installed Ajax1.0 on server to solve the problem but can not solve the problemthe error shown when i'm open the site</httpHandlers>Line 64: <httpModules>Line 65: <add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"/>Line 66: <!--<add name="CuteWebUI.UploadModule" type="CuteWebUI.UploadModule,CuteWebUI.AjaxUploader&quo...

My host runs SQL Server 2000, i have SQL Server 2005. What to do?
Hi, the title of this topic about summarises it. I have a dev-machine with SQL Server 2005 Standard edition on it. My host runs SQL Server 2000. What are my options? Is there some sort of backward compatibility? Can i export as 2000? I have no idea and i can't find anything about this particular problem. Thanks 2 solutions: Move your database to SQL Server 2000 or find a host that supports 2005. What do you expect? Naturally a 2000 sql server can not work with a 2005 database. That is not a "particular problem", that is the way evolution of software works. Script your database, u...

Hosting SQL Server 2005 As a Runtime Host
I am trying to use the new Common Language Runtime (CLR) hosting feature to write stored procedures in C# i have addedMicrosfot.sqlserevr.server name spaceand ia m trying to use sqlContext Object as below using (SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(dbConn))        {            connection.Open();            SqlCommand sqlcmd = new SqlCommand("select @@ version", connection);            S...

Web hosts that support MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.5.
Anyone know any?  Check SoftsysHosting.com. They have full level of support of ASP.NET, MySQL w/ MySQL .NET Connector. I have been using them for many of my clients and they have been perfect.HTH,-KilkoRecommended Hosts: Softsys Hosting & DiscountASP Hello, This is very specific requirement for the MySQL Windows Hosting Providers, so maybe it's much better to find affordable VPS ASP.NET Hosting and install MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.5 - 6. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting...

Install fail on m6.net hosting. Installs up to the line Performing general upgrades.
I successfully managed to install on my dev XP Pro machine but then when I tried to run the install on my hosting provider m6.net I found the DB tables, views, sp are created but that is it. In the install page I get this error. <!-- Web.Config Configuration File --><configuration>    <system.web>        <customErrors mode="Off"/>    </system.web></configuration> <!-- Web.Config Configuration File --><configuration>    <system.web>    &n...

Run 5.5.00 + 5.5.04 on same server?
Is it possible to run two separate engines of different versions on the same server? I have a customer that has a third party application running 5.5.00 on Novell Netware. My application has been tested under 5.5.04. The customer would like each app to run under their recommended configurations, so he's looking at running 2 instances of the database engine NLM, one for the third party app and the second for our app. Is this possible, and if so, are there any issues with the engine being of different versions (they would be installed to a separate directory on the Novell server, ...

ASE 12.5 Installation - Failed to Boot Server
I've run out of possible solutions to this one. Afer Sybase ASE 12.5 Client and Server installation, receive the following errors when attempting to create the server: Failed to boot server "RYANPLAPTOP" Process is running but server is unavailable. Task Failed: Start Sybase Server. Terminating Configuration. I've seen Failed to boot server frequently, but never the "process is running but server is unavailable". Anybody got a clue? Thanks in advance... Trish What is your platform? if your platform is UNIX, you must set the UNIX kernel para...

Install for IXWeb Hosting servers
I am trying to determine if it is possible to install Bugzilla on my hosted space at IXweb and if so...where is the dummy's guide? :P Thanks! -- Brady Mathis | bmathis@r-hsoftware.com | 877.696.6547 ext 102 ...

Message from Host, but not TO Host
I just ran dbremote on my newly re-extracted remote. It received and applied some message from the host, but it didn't send anything to the host. I ran a few times now. The bottom of my dbremote log looks like this: I. 01/22 11:07:44. 1: -v I. 01/22 11:07:44. 4: F:\BMW\Data\ I. 01/22 11:07:44. Sybase SQL Remote Message Agent Version 7.0.1.1143 I. 01/22 11:07:44. I. 01/22 11:07:50. Processing transaction logs from directory "F:\BMW\Data\" I. 01/22 11:07:50. Scanning logs starting at offset beginning I. 01/22 11:07:50. Processing transactions from active transaction lo...

Web resources about - Basic project runs from VS2008, not on hosted server - 3.5 installed on host - asp.net.mvc

States of India by installed power capacity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
^ "ALL INDIA REGIONWISE GENERATING INSTALLED CAPACITY OF POWER" (PDF) . Central Electricity Authority, Ministry of Power, Government of India. ...

Facebook, Messenger Pre-Installed on New Nokia 215, Nokia 215 Dual SIM Low-Cost Handsets
Facebook and Facebook Messenger are among the preinstalled applications on the new Nokia 215 and Nokia 215 Dual SIM entry-level phones from Microsoft ...

Installed a new HDD - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Seagate 100GB, 7200RPM in the 3 year old PowerBook.

FIRST EVER IPAD MINI INSTALLED INTO DASH OF A CAR - YouTube
Soundwaves of Tampa is the first to install a iPad Mini into a dash of a car. Please check us out and build pics at http://Facebook.com/soundwavesoftampa ...

Queensland's first Bitcoin ATM installed in South Brisbane
What is believed to be Queensland&#8217;s first Bitcoin ATM is up and running at a South Brisbane cafe, allowing customers to withdraw and sell ...

Cameras installed on hull of ISS (00:59)

Where in the US is solar installed?

New cycling separations to be installed on ACT roads
New separation measures will be installed and trialled on ACT roads in the next 12 months, as the government attempts to make cycling safer by ...