HostedActiveDirectory::GetProperties does not return multi-valued active directory values

 Hello.

I would firstly like to say that this is one great forum for MPS questions and that this is my first question here (i was mostly a reader for now:)

Even after some longer than usual searching i can not find solution for problem of getting ANY multi-valued active directory values by using HostedActiveDirectory::GetProperties web method. This is quite unfortunatelly. Because of this i have to cache some unnecessary meta data on my own SQL database which i would like to avoid as much as possible and work only with MPS.

If i elaborate some more with example:

1. I create distribution list with Hosted Email 2007::CreateDistributionList
2. To it I add say 3 members with HostedActiveDirectory::GroupAdd
3. I log on to AD and explore distribution list with adsiedit tool and see under Attribute "member" that there are REALLY three values like
    3.1. CN=person.one@firm.com,OU=firm,...
    3.1. CN=person.two@firm.com,OU=firm,...
    3.1. CN=person.three@firm.com,OU=firm,...
4. I call HostedActiveDirectory::GetProperties
5. In the result ArrayOfGetPropertiesResponseDataPropertyProperty[] properties i loop with
        foreach (ArrayOfGetPropertiesResponseDataPropertyProperty property in properties){
            if (property.name == propertyName){
                return property.value;}
        }
6. When property.name = "member" i return property.value BUT i get ONLY ONE USER (CN=person.three@firm.com,OU=firm,...)!
    6.1. property.value is string and there are NO multi values which could be separated by some special character.
7. And if i trace web call HostedActiveDirectory::GetProperties  with TraceView tool i get in the trace result ALL THREE users!! It looks like MPS fails to transform and return multi-values responses to the calling web service.

This very troubling for because of this i can not read NO AD multi-values  and there are a lot of them.
I would like to know if this is a bug or is there some catch i do not know.Smile

There are two similar questions on this forum but without answer unfortunatelly.

http://forums.asp.net/p/1176490/1983108.aspx
http://forums.asp.net/p/1148489/1866715.aspx

Thank you wery much for your response.

Damir

0
hal9kmps
6/24/2008 7:01:26 AM
asp.net.mps 1200 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 well, i had the same problem, i, then changed my approach, i searched on all users of an OU if they were the member of a particular DL using the same HostedActiveDirectory::ADSearch. yes, it takes lil more time, but in my case an OU does not have much users, say not even in thousands!

Aqeel Asghar
0
aqeel
6/24/2008 12:28:35 PM

hal9kmps:
It looks like MPS fails to transform and return multi-values responses to the calling web service.

Damir,

It is web services around MPS that fail to transform multi-value properties. The reason is in incorrect "outpuSchema" for Hosted Active Directory::GetProperties method. If you look inside you will find:

<xs:element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" name="value">
	<xs:simpleType>
		<xs:annotation>
			<xs:documentation>A value of a property.</xs:documentation>
		</xs:annotation>
		<xs:restriction base="xs:string">
			<xs:minLength value="1"/>
		</xs:restriction>
	</xs:simpleType>
</xs:element>

These input/output schemes means nothing for MPS itself, but WES service generator from MPS SDK uses this meta-data for services generation. Since schema is incorrect from the beginning, all subsequent development based on this schema (MPS web services) is incorrect as well and you have what you have. Check if MS fixed this in HMC 4.5.

Regards,

Dmitri Gaikovoi

P.S. Checks, mark post as answered, or simple "Thank you" will be really appreciated. Geeked

http://services.mail2web.com
http://myhosting.com
0
DmitriG
6/24/2008 1:26:22 PM

 Thank you for prompt reply. It is good to know that it is a bug after all. I will try HMC 4.5 and see if it is fixed.

Damir

0
hal9kmps

If Not value or value then....
Hi all,I want to write a simple IF Not then statement in ASP.net 2.0 and I would like some help please.  If Not ntuser = "DOMAIN\ntuser" Or ntuser = "DOMAIN\ntuser2" Then Panel1.Visible = False End If Doesnt work, can you tell me where i'm going wrong please?many thanks.  The first place you're going wrong is in telling us it "doesn't work" without providing any details. JeffPlease: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. That way future readers will know which post solved your issue. Use Not as stated below. It ...

Single Value to Multi Value attribute
Hi all I have an attribute 'source', in my eDirectory dn: cn=schema changetype: modify add: attributeTypes attributeTypes: ( source-oid NAME 'source' DESC 'to capture the source where the user or group is pulled from' SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 SINGLE-VALUE ) - I need to modify this attribute from Single valued to Multi-value attribute, - I also need to modify the name of this attribute from 'source' to 'uniqueSource' can any one please give me the exact syntax for the the above modifications ...

stripping values for a multi-valued attr

How to return a value or gain the value in for to loop?
Hi...I am a new bie in vb.net....I face a problem to return a value in for to loop, below is my code:If cb_Payroll.SelectedValue <> "" Then            For i As Integer = 0 To Me.cb_Payroll.Items.Count - 1                If Me.cb_Payroll.Items(i).Selected = True Then                    Dim var_Payroll As Integer       &nb...

How to enumerate all values in multi-value property?
Hi experts, I'm not much of a devoloper (as you can propably tell ;-)), but I need to make a slight modification for HMC 4.0's MPSSampleWebUI. I need to be able to enumerate all values of multi-value property. Enumeration of one property value works fine, for example using following:  <CLIP> GetPropertiesRequest getPropertiesRequest = new GetPropertiesRequest();            getPropertiesRequest.Data = new GetPropertiesRequestData();            getProperties...

Return values from a test as a right value.

How do you return multi values
Hi I have a routine that passes 2 strings to another routine 'HighLightSelectedTab(Image1,Image2)''to manulipate  String Image1 = "./images/tabangle2_b1.gif"; String Image2 = "./images/tabangle2_b2.gif"; String Image3 = "./images/tabangle2_blank.gif"; String Image4 = "./images/tabangle2_blank.gif"; public void SetupMenuImages(string Image1, string Image2, string Image3, string Image4) { HighLightSelectedTab(Image1,Image2); } public void HighLightSelectedTab(string Image1, string image2) //, string Image2, string Image3, string Image4) { // string Image = Image1.ToString(); ...

multi return values
(Sorry if this dbl-posts, sent it from the wrong account the first time) Hi all, what's wrong with this code: use v6; sub multireturn($x, $y) { my $a = $x * 2; my $b = $y * 2; return($a, $b); } my($a, $b) = multireturn(2, 3); using: This is Rakudo Perl 6, revision 32970 built on parrot 0.8.1-devel for i486-linux-thread-multi. I get: Method 'lvalue' not found for invocant of class 'PAST;Stmts' current instr.: 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;as_post' pc 2924 (src/PAST/Compiler.pir:742) called from Sub 'parrot;PAST;Compiler;post_children'...

App.Config returning null values in Windows Services but returns right values in Windows Application.
Hi All, I have created an Windows Service where I am using App.Config for global variables. But, it is always returning null values (string xyz=ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings["abc"]) for all the variables I have declared in App.Config. (But the same thing if I am doing as a Windows Application then it's returning the right values.) Interestingly, this same Windows Service is working properly in another machine but not working in other three machines. Can anyone please help me to resolve this issue. Thanks a lot. Regards, Lita. Since this is a Windows service, I recommend yo...

mixing formfield values with returned values in INSERT
Greetings,My first post, be kind :)  OK, I have a webform with a calendar and serveral time selection fields. I want to insert a time record in a time_entry table.  I need to lookup a 'Date_ID' from a table based on the selected calendar date. I can get this to display in a label OK. Now I want to mix the returned value with the time selection formfields and INSERT it. Can I combine the SELECT date_id  FROM dates with the VALUES list in a single stored procedure somehow? Here is the code... (keep in mind my newb status.. lol).  Thanks in advance... <%@ ...

How to return value from dynamic query or set the value
Hii I am Varun  i have a problem with the dynamic stored procedure This is my stored procedureALTER PROCEDURE dbo.sp_TimeTableAdjustment1 (@TeacherID_OnLeave numeric(9), @DateFrom datetime ,@DateTo datetime , @UserID numeric(9) ) AS declare @flag as numeric(9) declare @year as varchar(4) set @year=(select batch from batchmaster where iscurrent=1 and isdeleted=0) if( @year=null or len(@year)=0) set @year = year(getdate())exec ('if not exists(select * from timetableadjustments_'+@year+' where datefrom='''+@datefrom+''' and dateto=''...

textboxes values must return a boolean value
Hi All,I'm trying to check whether the data entered in a group of text box is valid or invalid. If valid the text boxes must return a single boolean value. Happy coding. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.  when is the boolean value needed .....on a button click or on any other control's focus ?try doing the functionality in javascript and return true or false within the javascript function itself...i hope this helps Do remember to mark this as Answer if this fix your problemThanks & RegardsBin...

Mutli-valued attribute to multi-valued attribute
We want to synchronize a multi-valued attribute (created by our own) to a multi-valued attribute in the other edirectory store. But when we are adding attributes we only have the changed values. The previous one is lost. When deleting one value in the Identity Vault then it removes the attribute from the object. Any ideas ? > We want to synchronize a multi-valued attribute (created by our own) to a > multi-valued attribute in the other edirectory store. But when we are > adding attributes we only have the changed values. The previous one is > lost. When deleting ...

PickList field with values from a multi-valued attribute
Hello there, I have a PickList field in my form that I want to fill with a list of values. Let's call that field "department". The values must be dynamically obtained from a multi-valued attribute of a given Organizational Unit. Let's call that attribute "list-of-departments". I have a DAL entity that exposes the object class (Organizational Unit) and its attribute. Let's call the DAL entity "OU" and let's call the exposed attribute key "list-of-departments" (like the attribute itself). Of course, I have a field that cont...

Web resources about - HostedActiveDirectory::GetProperties does not return multi-valued active directory values - asp.net.mps