To migrate or not to migrate...

I am currently working on a project that is written in PHP...  Very poorly.  I have to do a complete re-write.  I can code in either language, so I am trying to determine if I should convert to .Net or not.

Is one really any more scalable than the other?

Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the compiled code and the interpreted code?

Is there a list of large, high-volume, commercial web sites (other than MS, of course) that run on .NET?

Thanks.

rlrcstr
7/2/2008 9:52:38 PM
asp.net.migrating-from-php 286 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 >Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the compiled code and the interpreted code?

Once the compiled code has been JIT'd )occurs on forst load), compiled code runs faster.

For a list of companies see http://www.asp.net/get-started/

TATWORTH
7/2/2008 10:15:43 PM

It's unlikely that users will notice much of a difference, so long as the hardware is configured corectly to cope with whatever your traffic expectations are.  The largest delay in rendering a page is network related, rather that server-side processing of logic. The main benefit of ASP.NET is not speed of execution - it's speed of development.  One of the benefits of keeping with php is that you won't have to wait for search engines to re-index the new file names.

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting

Migration and re-migration
We are currently running GW 7.0.1 on NW 6.5 and want to migrate it to Linux. However, we want to finish up with the GW system running on the same piece of hardware. It looks to me like the best thing to do is to use the Consolidation and Server Migration Utility to migrate GW to a "new" NW 6.5 server, then install OES Linux on the original hardware and use the GW Server Migration Utility to migrate GW to Linux. Is this the best way to do it or have I been out in the sun too long? (Couldn't have; there's not enough sunshine in Washington to bother anybody.) Richard...

Dot.Net Migration of Powerbuilder and our software migration
Hi everybody, At this point, we are at a crossroad in our software developpement. We work with powerbuilder since 1997 and follow all evolutions of it. And, now, we are preparing to get the road, with sybase, of Dot.Net technology, and, we study which is the better manner to do that. Currently our conclusions distinguish 2 main way : - First, rewrinting our framework and our sofware with datawindow.net technology. Visual Studio 2005 is a very good ans stable IDE, the integration of datawindows.net is really good, but it's a very hard work time for it. - Second, f...

Migrating without Migration Wizard
Can anyone provide some tips or a links to procedures for Migrating to a new server (5.1sp6 -> 5.1sp6 on new hardware) as smoothly as possible. I've never performed a migration without the assistance of the wizard and I'm required to do it in this case. Thanks. O Johnson, > Can anyone provide some tips or a links to procedures for Migrating to a > new server (5.1sp6 -> 5.1sp6 on new hardware) as smoothly as possible. > I've never performed a migration without the assistance of the wizard > and I'm required to do it in this case. > Use Po...

Does the migration tool migrate user passwords?
If not, what tools do can I use to migrate a netware 5.0 server to Netware 65. Thanks. Yes the passwords are part of eDirectory/NDS Zavi@hotmail.com wrote: > If not, what tools do can I use to migrate a netware 5.0 server to Netware 65. > > Thanks. > Is this a single server setup? -- Timothy Leerhoff Novell Support Forum Sysop Success is getting what you want, however Happiness is wanting what you get. This is a full migration from Netware 5.x to Open Enterprise Linux. We have around 30 servers. > This is a full migration from Netware 5.x to ...

Migration Wizard
Am planning to migrate NW 4.11 to NW 6.5 using MW 6.5. Since MW needs to decompress files when doing volume copy, I'm thinking of using tape backup/restore to migrate the files prior to running MW. So essentially with MW I don't need to copy any volume, including SYS. I only need MW to copy the trustees. Question is, can I skip the volume copy entirely without migrating even the SYS volume? thanks in advance. SS, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated rep...

Migrating iFolder w/Server Migration
I am getting ready to migrate the server that iFolder is running on to a new box. Is it possible to migrate iFolder to the new server intact so that users don't notice any difference? The current server is NW6SP6 and iFolder is on port 52080, the new server will be NW65SP2. Thanks for any help and ideas, Tim Tim Ferguson, > am getting ready to migrate the server that iFolder is running on to a new > box. Is it possible to migrate iFolder to the new server intact so that > users don't notice any difference? The current server is NW6SP6 and > iFolder is o...

Migrating CA using migration wizard
I am looking to Migrate my 5.1 sp8 Certificate Authority server running edit 8.7.3.7 to OES sp1. If I use the latest version of the Migration wizard will this keep the Certificate Authority functioning or will it need to be recreated or moved prior to the migration? The first 6.x server in the tree will create a new CA anyway. There's no way to migrate the CA from 5.1 to 6.x anyway, and in any case there's no need to - you are almost certainly not using any certificates minted by the existing CA anyway. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp ...

PHP to .NET Migration Criteria
I'm guessing this is the area where I can find people who have recently switched from PHP to .NET, or are at least in the process of migrating. I have some questions for you: What criteria was used in deciding to migrate to .NET? Can you cite any reference material used to make your decision? What was the deciding factor (or factors) used in the decision making process? We currently have 3 platforms for development - ColdFusion-40%, PHP-40%, .NET-20%. Obviously, we need to consolidate on one platform for the future. Thanks! Hi FifthLegion, Currently in my organization we are ...

migration
Hey Guys,   I am currently migrating to the new release of Ajax.. The dll for ajax does not seem to be installed in gac as i was not able to find it in there.. Does anyone know what dll i need to look for on my local machine so i can drop it manually into the GAC.   Thanks LoyCheers Loy Loy, I wrote a little post about migrating that may help you: http://alpascual.com/blog/al/archive/2007/02/05/Manually-upgrading-any-project-to-ASP.NET-2.0-AJAX-1.0.aspx Other AJAX info: http://alpascual.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=ajaxCheersAlMy BlogMapStats.NETPlease click on 'M...

Migration
Well, I've been hemming and hawing for a bit on this, but we did it this last weekend. 50+ gigs (120 users) email from GW8 to Exchange 07. 75++gigs of files from NW to Server 08. Cluster to cluster, old hardware to new. 1. The Groupwise migration we did without any special (read Paid) software. We used IMAPSync. That was a bit ... painful, but not bad for free. Exported the calendars (that needed exporting) to .ICS (cleaned up the non-standard stuff that GW exports with it with a little Java program). People's Freq Contacts came over with CSV. If we had ...

migration
when running migration wizard - at the stage of editing config files should the server id be modified? ie is it ok just to copy the whole of the autoexec.ncf across from the old box - obviosly modifying nic drivers if different i notice it changes name as part of wizard later but never noticed id > ie is it ok just to copy the whole of the autoexec.ncf across from the old > box - obviosly modifying nic drivers if different > > i notice it changes name as part of wizard later but never noticed id It'll pull the server ID over automagically - Serve...

migration
I need to move all existing mailboxes and personal folders etc from one 7x platform to another on an entirely different network. Is there a process for this, or a suggested approach? Thanks for any help... Copy and paste :-) http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?10010617.htm Old TID but good. On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:37:24 GMT, rkeyes@msba.state.ma.us wrote: >I need to move all existing mailboxes and personal folders etc from one >7x platform to another on an entirely different network. Is there a >process for this, or a suggested approach? ...

Migration
Hello I have an application running in PowerBuilder i want to migrate this to web. what would you suggest .....for web, like EAServer or Appeon Server (Migrating Tool for PowerBuilder) Please advice me in this regards Thank you Regards waheed Waheed, This really depends on the app. What size application are you talking about? Is it a PFC app? How many users do you want to support? These and many other questions need to be answered before you can decide which architecture and technologies to use. -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] <Waheed_Rahuman> wrote in message n...

Migration
Hi, Iam an beginner with Novell. How is it possible to move Home directories from one server to another? Can I use some kind of migation tool?? Thanks! Jonas Sweden. Hi Jonas, go to Download.novell.com and download the "Novell Server Consolidation = Utility" (not migration utility!!) This copy every folder you want to a new location or on another server v= ia = sms directly between servers. Alle Data will be copied with all = attributes:Dates, owner, trustee, flags etc.) I just did it this WE with a 100 GB server to a new 6.5 Cluster without = any problem...

Web resources about - To migrate or not to migrate... - asp.net.migrating-from-php

1-800-Flowers Becomes the First Client to Migrate to Facebook’s Revamped Atlas Ad Platform
... platform , which Facebook announced at Advertising Week 2014 in New York at the end of September, has its first client, as 1-800-Flowers migrated ...

Facebook Migrates 400,000 Users to Fans of Apple’s Page
While Facebook has been turning up the marketing on businesses and brand owners to create Facebook Pages, one feature of Pages that is less well ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

'You don't migrate to this country unless you want to join our team': Tony Abbott renews push on national ...
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has elaborated on his "Team Australia" remarks, telling a radio interview that "you don't migrate to this country ...

Tony Abbott's woman problem migrates to his ministry
Tony Abbott is having women trouble. It's nothing he said, mind.

Doctors and Nurses From Poor Countries Migrate To Rich Ones
Australia has saved almost $640 million by poaching doctors from some of the poorest countries in Africa.

Pacific Islanders reject 'climate refugee' status, want to 'migrate with dignity', SIDS conference hears ...
Pacific Islanders who may be forced to flee rising sea levels say they want to be able to migrate with dignity.

Polar bears migrate to Canadian Arctic for longer lasting ice: study
Some polar bear clusters have slowly moved to islands north of Canada's mainland that are retaining the Arctic ice for longer, according to a ...

Apple Music giving former Beats subscribers month grace period to migrate libraries
... all of their content, playlists, music, and preferences will be safe until January 19th, 2016. That means that you have until then to migrate ...

Verizon Explains the Real Reason Geese Migrate
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots , new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv , a company that catalogs, tags ...