Sql server 7 Opening connection in asp.net; works in asp, works with OTHER sql server 7

Hi all

This is my first post here, so forgive me if I'm doing something dumb.

I have a connection string:
provider=SQLOLEDB;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=user;Initial Catalog=cat;Data Source=server.com;pwd=user

that works in asp, we use it all the time, but it does not work in asp.net. the server is sql server 7; we don't have access to the sql server. however, we have another sql server 7 that does work in asp.net.

any thought on what could be the deal, if a setting in sql server that could somehow affect asp.net but not asp?

Thanks
Neil
0
neiljaywarner
8/1/2006 4:28:05 PM
asp.net.migrating-from-asp 901 articles. 0 followers. Follow

that is OLEDB connection string so it would be used with System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection class (if you use it as-is). But in .NET, there are classes in System.data.SqlClient namespace, optimized for SQL Server (SqlConnection is the interesting here), but with them previous connection string would need to be

"server=server.com;UID=user;PWD=user;DATABASE=cat;Persist Security Info=False

So crucial is now which connection do you use SqlConnection or OleDbConnection.

Thanks,

Teemu Keiski
Finland, EU
0
joteke

SQL Server 7 or 2000 and SQL Anywhere 7 on the same server?
I want to run MS SQL Server 7 (and later 2000) on the same NT server as SQL Anywhere 7. Are there any problems involved with this? Thanks, -- Don Marchlenski Information and Technology Services Central Ohio Technical College and The Ohio State University at Newark Should be OK assuming that the machine has sufficient bandwidth/resources for the total load of the two databases. /ck "Don Marchlenski" <march@newark.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message news:3B704488.8176A5F5@newark.ohio-state.edu... > I want to run MS SQL Server 7 (and later 2000) on the ...

Does AJAX.NET work with SQL server connections?
All, I have an application that uses SQL server as backend. The application has 5 drop down lists and the contents of the bottom 4 list depends on the item selected in drop down list 1 (think of it as cascading drop down lists if you will). Each of these lists pull data from a SQL database. The application works fine - the only issue is the delay in pulling data. I tried to "ajaxify" this (by including a ScriptManager, UpdatePanel and doing the necessary web.config edits), but it doesn't do the trick.Is there a better solution for this? I looked at the Cascading drop down ...

connecting to SQL Server 7 using ole db provider for Sql Server
I had problems trying to do this with a grid so I am now trying to add a new connection in the Server Explorer. I added all the neccessary info and when I hit "Test Connection" it is successful but when I ckick on "OK" I get an error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Anybody know what is wrong? Thanks....

SQL SERVER ACCESS DENIED!! BUT everything works on MSDE and works SHOWING RECORDS ON SQL SERVER!! PLEASE HELP
I've got a popular problem so i get a message that server acces denied! .. But that what is different in my error.... When i use same setting same database and connection string (on MSDE server) there is no problem... On SQL server i have got windwos authentication but i added all accounts as ASPNET and SA.... and when i try to connect by RETTO - name of my server server=RETTO;uid=sa;pwd=password;database=db1; or by Integrated Security=SSPIserver=RETTO;uid=RETTO\ASPNET;database=db1; I CAN BROWSE RECORDS THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS WITH CONNECTION!!! but when i try to update o...

Error while establishing a connection to the SQL server 2005
Hi, I had an old web application created during asp.net 1.1 and it have a connection problem with the sql server 2005 when it is mirgrated to a new webserver with dotnet framework 2.0 platform. I have enabled the remote access(TCP/IP and named pipes) in sql server 2005, did all the neccessary things, check whether the TCP/IP is enabled, named pipe is enabled...  I created another web application using VS 2005. The database connection works perfectly well.This are the connectionString from the old web application.<appSettings>    <add key="ConnectionString" value=...

SQL server management studio for SQL server 7 ??
 Hi, I have a Client using SQL server 7 and we want to access this database.However Server Management studio(on 2005) does not like the Server 7. Have  you got any suggestion to me? Best Regard You can go to Start ==> Run ==> Type MMC In MMC Select File ==> Add Remove Snapin ==> Add 'Select SQL Server' I hope this may work.Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps youBest RegardsBrij Mohanhttp://www.dotnetglobe.com That doesnt work. The database is hosted in a remote location.And I need a database client tools for the...

SQL query that works in SQL Server Management Studio, but doesn't on .NET 2.0 page
SELECT favorites.FID, favorites.filename, favorites.username, files.status, files.private, files.views, files.title FROM favorites INNER JOIN files ON favorites.filename = files.filename WHERE (favorites.username = @username) AND (files.status IS NULL) AND (files.private = @private)@private is manually set to 'no'@username is set to profile.usernamewhen I run the above query in microsoft sql server mgmt studio express on the database, it presents all the information i'm asking for very easily. however when i try to implement this query on a aspx .net2.0 page with teh sqldatasourc...

What is SQL Server 7 doing in my ASA 7 reload.sql script?
Hi, As I wanted to upgrade an ASA 6.03 database to version 7, I followed the advise seen in another post here to unload and create a new ASA 7 database. When reloading the structure/data I in ISQL, I got an error caused by the following section in the script: ------------------------------------------------- -- Create external servers ------------------------------------------------- CREATE SERVER owt CLASS 'mssql' USING 'DNS=TestSQLServer' go commit work go ------------------------------------------------- After deleting the above section from the scri...

Remote SQL Server error from IIS but not from local, but working with same SQL Server
 I am getting a SQLServer connection error when I try to run my application from the IIS server.  I deployed the application to the remote server using VWD Express 2005 [using the "Copy Web" feature].  I have frontpage extension turned on...which I am not sure if this is the right thing.The SQLServer is coming from the same remote site as the IIS server.   I have successfully  uploaded the databases to the SQLServer 2005  machine.   Then from my development machine I updated the web.config to point to the remote SQL Server 2005 machine a...

Connecting to sql server 2000 on Godaddy error: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Facts:1. I am using my account on Godaddy trying to connect to my sql server db.2. I can get into my db using user id and password.3. Godaddy's help file shows this for a connection string: connectstr = "Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" & db_server & ";DATABASE=" &db_name & ";UID=" & db_username & ";PWD=" & db_userpassword4. My connection string: "Server=whsql-v09.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;uid=dbasolutions;pwd=***;database=DB_87972;"  & _                    "Trusted_Connecti...

default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Hi I always get good reply from u all, thank you,  I have copied my asp.net website from one server to another. they administrator made necessary modification on IIS manager . and able to see the website on browser. but now i can't loging to system using old password. I tryed to create new password then also it gives error System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connecti...

Will Web Matrix work with Hosted SQL server / Remote SQL server?
Hi, I've a web site being hosted by a hosting company remotely. I want to be able to connect to my SQL server database which is remote of course.. Is this possible with Web Matrix? Thanks Tim Hi Tim, Yes of course! :) You can create a new Database project and connect to a remote SQL Server and enter in the Server field in the dialog box. Regards, Thanks Colt, I figured it out.. very easy to do so! TimTim...

Web resources about - Sql server 7 Opening connection in asp.net; works in asp, works with OTHER sql server 7 - asp.net.migrating-from-asp

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.

Test Claims To Show T-Mobile’s YouTube “Optimization” Is Just Connection Throttling
... on the same network, and at the same time of day. They tested video streaming against three other kinds of downloads and measured the connection ...