ERROR: Unable to get local copy of file

I am attempting to upgrade an ASP.NET 1.1 site to ASP.NET 2.0 but I got 76 errors: ERROR: Unable to get local copy of file... The unusual aspect of this web site is that the ASPX pages are all contained within a directory named "secure" and the vbproj file has been edited to change the Output Path to "secure\bin\". This was done to keep the entire web application in a SSL secured directory except for the initial log in page. This appears to have screwed up the conversion wizard and I can't find any information on how to fix it because this is an unusual case.

<Config
Name ="Debug"
BaseAddress ="285212672"
ConfigurationOverrideFile = ""
DefineConstants = ""
DefineDebug ="true"
DefineTrace ="true"
DebugSymbols ="true"
IncrementalBuild ="true"
Optimize ="false"
OutputPath ="secure\bin\"
RegisterForComInterop ="false"
RemoveIntegerChecks ="false"
TreatWarningsAsErrors ="false"
WarningLevel ="1"
/>

Robert S. Robbins
Web Developer
http://www.williamsportwebdeveloper.com/
0
rrobbins
11/3/2007 5:35:46 PM
asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0 1016 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Robert,

Could you provide a sample of the error message with the file name or path?

My understanding is that the secure folder might be another web application under the root folder of the current project and it should be build separately. This way the dll will be put into "secure\bin\" by the compiler and you don't need to specify the output path.

Zhao Ji Ma
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Zhao
11/5/2007 10:48:35 AM

Zhao Ji Ma - MSFT:

Hi Robert,

Could you provide a sample of the error message with the file name or path?

My understanding is that the secure folder might be another web application under the root folder of the current project and it should be build separately. This way the dll will be put into "secure\bin\" by the compiler and you don't need to specify the output path.

No, the web.config file is not in the secure directory. I think I should just restructure the ASP.NET 1.1 web application and then convert it. Then I should consider other options to secure the ASP.NET 2.0 web application or recreate the previous method.

Robert S. Robbins
Web Developer
http://www.williamsportwebdeveloper.com/
0
rrobbins

.net 1.1 to .NET 2.0 migration generates additional .aspx.xx files
 Hi all,when doing the upgrade in VS 2005 two more additional pages get created, aspx.designer.cs and aspx.resx, do I need to keep these files?Thanks  The designer and resx pages are normal - just ignore them.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped.  Refer below links regarding migration  http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx http://rextang.net/blogs/work/archive/2006/04/16/3645.aspx P...

Getting this error: BC30138: Unable to create temp file in path 'C:\DOCUME~1\CLIENT\ASPNET\LOCALS~1\Temp\': The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
Hay everyone, I am getting this error whever try to debug my ASP.NET application. Actually, before this error i was working on ASP.NET and due to light fluctuation my system restarted. When again I tried to debug my application, it gave me this error: Compiler Error Message: BC30138: Unable to create temp file in path 'C:\DOCUME~1\CLIENT\ASPNET\LOCALS~1\Temp\': The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Can anyone help me to resolve this problem.Looking for urgent reply,TAM Looks like the file is corupted.You need to simply delete the file from the path that is in My Documents...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ? #2
Hi, After you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." Please check My Article on this issue and the resolution for the same. Comments are welcome. Thanks. regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

Migration from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi All, Well i hoped that the migrating went smoother then is does so far. I had a few problem which i could fix with blogs from other developers, but i didn't find a good solution for this problem. Somehow i get the following error: "Make sure that the class defined in this code file matches the 'Inherits' attribute, and that it extends the correct base class" Well i worked very good before the migration. Some advise would be very welcome! Regards,Dennis van de Laarhttp://dennisv.net/Don't forget to mark the most helpful reply/replies as Answer. Maybe this post will hel...

Migrate DataGrid .NEt 1.1 to .NEt 2.0
Hi I has just convert my ASP.NET web application from .NET 1.1 to .NEt 2.0 so far there is no problem but my datagrid seems to be acting really weird my datagrid has 3 columns and have paging enabled. When there is one/two row of data. The paging(which shows us the number of page) seems to have a column span of 1)  If i click on the second row of data.... the paging will have the column span of 3 This does not happen if there is more than 2 data   please go to the link for better clarification http://yingleekit.multiply.com/photos/album/1/work#1 http://ying...

Enigmail-1.0.1 for OS/2 TB-3.0.x and SM-2.0.x available at enigmail.mozdev.org
I'm glad to announce that after a while, where some smaller quirks had to be ironed out, enigmail-1.0.1 can be downloaded from enigmail.mozdev.org. Thanks to the developers for the upload to their site. Enigmail-1.0.1 works only with Thunderbird-3.0.x and Seamonkey-2.0.x. If you still use TB-2.0.0.x or SM-1.1.x you should stick to enigmail-0.95.7. In case of trouble please post to this list here. Have Fun, Walter ...

Retrograding httpHandler from .NET 2.0 to 1.1, get "Parser Error Message: Could not create type" message
Hi there,I have written a httpHandler using VS2005 and .NET 2.0 that builds and works fine.However, I am now having to convert it to .NET 1.1, which I hoped would just be a case of changing the runtime used by the web app (as in running the 1.1 version of aspnet_regiis, with a "-s" switch pointing at my web apps folder). After doing this though (and fixing a few minor differences with web.config), if I then navigate to my handler I get the following error message:Server Error in '/Path/To/MyWebApp' Application.Parser ErrorDescription: An error occurred during the parsing of...

How to migrate from .NET V 1.0 to .NET v 2.0
  I have a asp.net applicatin currently running with v1.1.4322, I want to migrate to v2.0.50727 . I have run a "aspnet_regiss.exe -i". But it seems to be not enouft. When i open a page i get a "The 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment' configuration section cannot be created". And what about Visual Studio, I am using Visual Studio 2003. Does i have to change anything to make Visual Studio 2003 compile with version 2. And does i need to change somthing in machine.config ?  Best Regards   To get vs2003 to build the app for .NET 2.0, you need to upgrade to ...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

Migrating .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0/3.5
We have many of our application running in .NET 1.1, and plannig to migrate all one-by-one, i know there will be a big challenge for this activity, What we are planning is not to migrate all in one shot, After migrating one application we will give for some selective users testing once we feel it is OK, do the next. What is best way of doing this thing? Any links, thrid party tools, since opening this in VWD 2005, it is converting the application but many errors are popuping up. Any reference would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance. Hi, Please follow the steps mentioned in this l...

Web resources about - ERROR: Unable to get local copy of file - asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0