What is the default information for SMTP in VS .NET (VB)

Hello people,

 I am wondering what are the default server address and port number that are used in VS .Net 2003. I am porting an application and i can't that information anywhere. I know it's specified in code or web.config in VS 2005.

Also, when i run the application and send email through it, it works even when port 25 (local SMTP server is running on) is blocked?? How is that possible? I also received the mail fine.

Thank you for your help.

0
Flintronics

Flintronics:
I am wondering what are the default server address and port number...

This is entirely dependent on your setup, there are no defaults.  The customary port is 25, and the IP address is whatever IP address your SMTP server uses.  Contact you mail admin for help with these.

Jeff

jeff
9/3/2008 5:11:42 PM

Hello, the SMTP server is hosted on the same computer as the application. Will the .net 2003 just use those? Port and server name (IP) doesn't need to be explicitly specified?

In VS 2005, it won't let you compile without specifying the server name in the code. Thanks for you reply, btw.

0
Flintronics

If we don't specify the SMTP server, the name of the local SMTP server is used. We can use SmtpMail.SmtpServer to set SMTP server in code (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.mail.smtpmail.smtpserver(VS.71).aspx).

If your SMTP server is behind a firewall that blocks any direct SMTP traffic (through port 25), you'll need to find out if there is a smart host available on your network that is allowed to relay all SMTP messages to the Internet. For more information, see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/itsolutions/ecommerce/deploy/d5smtp.mspx?mfr=true

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas

Web resources about - What is the default information for SMTP in VS .NET (VB) - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

Information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Information (shortened as info or info. ) is that which informs, i.e. an answer to a question, as well as that from which knowledge and data ...

InformationWeek – Latest Information Technology (IT) news & IT articles - Technology news - IT magazine ...
InformationWeek provides latest Information technology (IT) news online & articles and publishes latest tech news & IT magazine for Indian IT ...

ACT anti-domestic violence boss calls for better information sharing across sector
... ACT government will seek to strike a balance between victim safety with privacy concerns as it eyes better ways of sharing information ...

Queensland weather: Latest storm warning information
PARTS of Queensland were hit by severe storms, with golf-ball-size hail in the Granite Belt Monday afternoon.

Magnetic protein may provide animals with navigation information
What do monarch butterflies, salmon, lobsters, bats, mole rats, and marine nudibranch mollusks have in common? As I'm sure you already knew, ...

Security researchers have discovered more information on how the Sony hackers managed to stay undetected ...
More details of the hack that wiped out Sony Pictures' computer systems and resulted in thousands of internal emails and documents leaking online ...

White House offers states more information on refugees
Governors are still clashing with the administration over whether to admit Syrian refugees into their states

VTech hack exposes personal information of 5 million adults and children
Another data breach? Won't someone please think of the children?

Is The Freedom Of Information Act Stifling Intellectual Freedom?
The time to be surprised about FOIA requests is over: Scientists need to be on their guard and harness this digital world for themselves.

THE NUMBER GROWS Nearly 1,000 Clinton emails had classified information
THE NUMBER GROWS Nearly 1,000 Clinton emails had classified information