Need to Migrate medium to large Intranet site from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. Ideas/Guidance needed.

Hi all,

I have to migrate a medium to large website from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. Please guide on how to proceed for a successful migration. What are the issues to take care of ? Looking at the architecture, is the migration possible?

Architectute

The Business Logic Layer and the Data Access Layer are mixed in one layer. The Enterprise Library June 2005 release has been used. Data Access Application Block has been used for data handling and Logging and Instrumentation Application Block has been used for logging. The BLL+DAL consists of 37 C# classes. A seperate layer has been used having CSS, Images and JavaScript. The presentation layer 139 ASPX pages. The top nagigation bar and the left hand navigational bar have been implemented as two User Controls. The presentation layer consists of 139 ASPX pages.

DLL's Used

(a)    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common

(b)   Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration

(c)    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data

(d)    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging

(e)   Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.RollingFlatFile.Configuration.Design

(f)    Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.RollingFlatFileSink

(g)   Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Sinks.Database

External DLL's Used

FreeTextBox.dll

itextsharp.dll - This I think is used for creating PDF files.

Unknown DLL's Used

(i)     ADODB.dll                          : ?

(ii)   Interop.OWC10.dll          : ?

(iii) MSComctlLib.dll               : ?(iv)  MSDATASRC.dll                : ?

        (v) stdole.dll                              : ?

Authentication

Uses Forms Authentication. Active Directory is used for the authentication.

External Interfaces

Linked Servers get data from extrenal systems throuh Window Services running and web services.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this hepled in solving your problem.
0
sudipta

To migrate ASP.NET 1.X project to ASP.NET 2.0 project, we can use "Visual Studio Conversion Wizard" to upgrade it easily. But there might be a couple of issues we need to correct manually. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336650.aspx (Upgrade from ASP.NET 1.x) and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228097.aspx (Step-By-Step Guide to Converting Web Projects from Visual Studio .NET 2002/2003 to Visual Studio 2005).

In your case, you can also upgrade the Business Logic Layer. For the third party dlls, it would be better that we make sure these dlls can be running under .Net Framework 2.0.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
9/2/2008 10:46:32 AM

As Enterprise Library 1.1 has been used in the application, it has been decided by our project team that in the .NET 2.0 website, we won't be using Enterprise Library for Data Access and Logging as in the previous application. We would be writing custom code and migrate the application on a page by page basis.

I look forward to hear from you people more although the migration wizard approach has been temporarily taken off for our site.

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this hepled in solving your problem.
0
sudipta

Migration from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi All, Well i hoped that the migrating went smoother then is does so far. I had a few problem which i could fix with blogs from other developers, but i didn't find a good solution for this problem. Somehow i get the following error: "Make sure that the class defined in this code file matches the 'Inherits' attribute, and that it extends the correct base class" Well i worked very good before the migration. Some advise would be very welcome! Regards,Dennis van de Laarhttp://dennisv.net/Don't forget to mark the most helpful reply/replies as Answer. Maybe this post will hel...

Migrate DataGrid .NEt 1.1 to .NEt 2.0
Hi I has just convert my ASP.NET web application from .NET 1.1 to .NEt 2.0 so far there is no problem but my datagrid seems to be acting really weird my datagrid has 3 columns and have paging enabled. When there is one/two row of data. The paging(which shows us the number of page) seems to have a column span of 1)  If i click on the second row of data.... the paging will have the column span of 3 This does not happen if there is more than 2 data   please go to the link for better clarification http://yingleekit.multiply.com/photos/album/1/work#1 http://ying...

Migrating .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0/3.5
We have many of our application running in .NET 1.1, and plannig to migrate all one-by-one, i know there will be a big challenge for this activity, What we are planning is not to migrate all in one shot, After migrating one application we will give for some selective users testing once we feel it is OK, do the next. What is best way of doing this thing? Any links, thrid party tools, since opening this in VWD 2005, it is converting the application but many errors are popuping up. Any reference would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance. Hi, Please follow the steps mentioned in this l...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

best practices to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Well, at least take a look at this doc about running v1.0 and 1.1 side-by-side h...

best method to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Hi, There is an article on this, right on this site. Check this Hope it hel...

What are the advantages of migrating applications written in .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0?
Hello,Can someone tell me the advantages of migrating my current aplication which has been developed in ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0? I have read and implemented some of the technical advantages that come with ASP.NET 2.0 and .NET 2.0. But how do I convince our customer that we should upgrade the existing application in production for a couple of years now to .NET 2.0... like the performance benefits we gain by doing that? Read that .NET 2.0 is a lot (around 40%) faster than .NET 1.1 and has all those performance enhancing features like the precompilation, enhanced data caching... in addition ...

Any advantages of migrating to .NET 2.0 on still using .NET 1.1 projects?
Sorry for the noob Q - but will I get any advantages in installing .NET 2.0 Framework alongside .NET 1.1 if I dont plan to upgrade my ASP .NET 1.1 web applications?I have a few servers that I will be installing the .NET 2.0 Framework so as to develop in VS2005, however on some servers that will not (at this stage) be used for .NET 2.0 apps and that I may not have the time to convert some VS2003 applications to VS2005, I was in the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' kind of thinking and didn't know if installing .NET 2.0 would bring any advantages.TIA.  I happen to agree. If you don't nee...

.net 1.1 to .NET 2.0 migration generates additional .aspx.xx files
 Hi all,when doing the upgrade in VS 2005 two more additional pages get created, aspx.designer.cs and aspx.resx, do I need to keep these files?Thanks  The designer and resx pages are normal - just ignore them.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped.  Refer below links regarding migration  http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx http://rextang.net/blogs/work/archive/2006/04/16/3645.aspx P...

How to migrate from .NET V 1.0 to .NET v 2.0
  I have a asp.net applicatin currently running with v1.1.4322, I want to migrate to v2.0.50727 . I have run a "aspnet_regiss.exe -i". But it seems to be not enouft. When i open a page i get a "The 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment' configuration section cannot be created". And what about Visual Studio, I am using Visual Studio 2003. Does i have to change anything to make Visual Studio 2003 compile with version 2. And does i need to change somthing in machine.config ?  Best Regards   To get vs2003 to build the app for .NET 2.0, you need to upgrade to ...

Web resources about - Need to Migrate medium to large Intranet site from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. Ideas/Guidance needed. - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

Intranet design, intranet case studies, social intranets, Toby Ward - Intranet Blog » Intranet Blog
The intranet is dead. How many times have we heard this tired, uninformed complaint or false prophecy in the past 10 years? Too many, which coincidentally ...

National intranet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A national intranet is an Internet protocol -based walled garden network maintaned by a nation state as a national substitute for the global ...

Enterprise social systems to supersede franchise intranets
Franchise businesses are cottoning onto the benefits of closer, up-to-the minute collaboration.

Ultra-blowout: watchdog slams schools intranet
A damning audit has revealed serious "probity lapses" surrounding the tendering of Victoria's $180 million online education network, which has ...

Ultranet School Intranet To End On Jan 1
The Victorian government’s failed $180 million schools IT experiment – intended to transform the way students learned – will end on December ...

Bitrix24 Social Intranet - Service Presentation (beta) - YouTube
Bitrix24 offers a united work space which handles the many aspects of daily operations and tasks of a company including CRM, files sharing, time ...

LinkedIn Lookup iOS app aims to replace your company’s awful intranet employee directory
Most large companies have employee directories on their intranet, and most of them have two things in common: the database entries are typically ...

Iran moving ahead with plans for national intranet
The Iranian government is building its own sanitized version of the Internet, …

IBM: Intranet 2.0 can streamline business processes and foster innovation
CMOs and CIOs frequently deal with outdated, legacy intranets that lack the interaction and functionality characteristic of Web 2.0 platforms. ...

Bespoke Intranet & Extranet Development Agency - Branded3
As well as developing enriching and effortless experiences for your customers; we can do the same for you. Creating intranets and extranets is ...