Migration VS.Net 2003 to VS.Net 2005

I want to migrate to framework 2.0.

Questions :

1) Can i use Vs.Net 2005 and framework 2.0 with Sql Server 2000 ? or must i migrate too 2005
2) I read in some forums there is some problem to migrate vs.net 2003 solutions/project to 2005, It's right ?
3) Is it necessery to modify a lot of c# code (deprecate, ...) ?
4) Can i work both Vs.Net2003 framework 1.1 ans Vs.net 2005 framework 2.0 on the same development machine ?

Thanks.

Patrick Ducret
0
Patrick
1/19/2007 1:26:09 PM
📁 asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005
📃 590 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 2 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1406 Views

Hi,

1) Yes you can. You can use SQL2000 from .NET 2.0 as you did from .NET 1.x. SQL2005 just has some additional features to offer.

2) It can be if you migrate to web site project (default in VS2005) due to certain compilation semantics. MS has provided Web Application project add-on for VS2005 which then works as projects worked in VS2003. From VS2005 Sp 1 on Web Application project is also built into Vs2005. So, if you migrate from VS2003 to VS2005 Web Application,. you should face very minor issues if any. More info:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspx
http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/AspNetCompilation/AspNetCompilation.asp

3) Very unlikely. depends on if you use features which really would've been dropped but there aren't very many oif them. I think that you don't have to change a line.

4) Yes, frameworks can exist on same machine. You just select at least at application basis which framework version it uses. (ASP.NET tab on IIS)

Thanks,

Teemu Keiski
Finland, EU
0
joteke
1/19/2007 1:32:32 PM

Thanks for your response.

Now i must do a big "planning" - a lot of thing......
First, migrate my dedicated server form windows 2000 to 2003.

Patrick Ducret
0
Patrick