Error on migrating webapplication from VS2003 to VS2005

I created web application with C# with VS2003 successfully. Now I pulled the solution to VS2005.

But a build error appears as " It is an error to use a section registred as allowDefinition = " Machine to application" beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS". The error occrurs with in the authentication tag in web.config.

I have confiremed that the virtual directory is configurated as an application through virtual directory properties.

Can some one help on this issue?

0
cdeck

Can you make sure you donot have any backed up website files in the sub folders?

Baiju

"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights"
0
Baiju
1/23/2006 11:44:12 PM

Usually when I've seen this error, it is because the web project is being opened as a file-system based web as opposed to an IIS web (and there are sub-applications below it).

This blog post explains how to work with IIS based webs more, and how to open them in VS 2005: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/23/423409.aspx

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu

Faced many errors after migration from VS2003 to VS2005
 Dear Forum Members,I have a ASP.NET 1.1 project and it is successfully run. Now i am going to migrate it into 2.0. I used the Migration wizard that is already in VS2005. After migration when i build it, it will return many errors. In the below i listed some of them..1. Error    1    Validation (): Element 'html' occurs too few times.    2. Error    2    Cannot switch views: This end tag has no matching start tag.    3. Error    3    Validation (Internet Explor...

Migrating VS2003 to VS2005.
Hello, I have recently migrated VS2003 web application(ASP.NET 1.0) to VS2005 (ASP.NET2.0). But after migration I am getting an error saying a particular DLL is not defined. How do I register this DLL in the server so that I can overcome this problem. Note: I have migrated the application which is in different machine(i.e., Shared drive).   Thanks, Renil. You don't have to register the dll on the server.  Just put it in your App_Code folder  and then add a reference to it in Solution Explorer.http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1886a4bb-c9d8-4ba6-8078-04b...

Migrate from VS2003 to VS2005
Hello, please help me with my problem. Projects were successfully migrated from 2003 to 2005. I have VS2005 Team Edition, installed: VS80-KB898904-X86-ENU.exe, VS80-KB915364-X86-ENU.exe, WebApplicationProjectSetup.msi. I tried to open solution. At first I couldn’t open solution at all I have done the next changes: “You will need to change the MSBuild targets in the project file. Open this file with a text editor and replace the VSTO target with this one <Import Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft.VisualStudio.OfficeTools.targets" />”. Now I can open solution but...

Migrating a VS2003 project to VS2005
I need to migrate a web project from VS2003 to VS2005. I am a novice user. List down the steps that need to take care before migrating. Is there a tool (don't want that tool in VS2005 setup) that will migrate my solution to 2005 hassle free? Thanks! Viswanth V.G Check out this article:Step-By-Step Guide to Converting Web Projects from Visual Studio .NET 2002/2003 to Visual Studio 2005 Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you! Great link... Thanks a ton! My problem is to convert all the *.vb code files to Partial classes. ...

About migrating the managed Dll from VS2003 to VS2005
Hi everyone!I have a managed C++ Dll which compiled by Visual Studio 2003,and I migrate it to Visual Studio 2005 these days,and call it by some C# applications.Unfortunately it always report error:"is not a valid Win32 application. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800700C1)",I also can not tarce into it,for once I refer the class in the dll,the C# console application will report that error when I press F5!Please suggess me if any one have solve.Birch Howe First, make sure you are compiling in the proper mode.  Check Visual Studio 2005's Configuration Manager (Build menu, Confi...

HTML problems while migrating from VS2003 to VS2005
Hi, all. I tried to get the existing code for my website (originally built on .NET 1.1 using VS2003 as the development tool) to compile within VS2005 for .NET 2.0, but have run into the following problem : The existing code uses include files (i.e. files that are included in .aspx pages using the include macro) that contain inline VB scripting code (for example,  <%=myvariable%> or <% if  IsValidFlag = true then %> ) : The error message is "Character '<' , hexadecimal value 0x3c is illegal in an XML attribute values. If I remove the offending include...

Couldn’t open solution which was migrate from VS2003 to VS2005
Hello, please help me I spend huge time for that problem. I’m trying to run project which was migrated from VS203 to VS2005. I installed VS80-KB915364-X86-ENU.exe, VS80-KB898904-X86-ENU.exe, WebApplicationProjectSetup.msi. When I open the solution I have the same error: --------------------------- Microsoft Visual Studio --------------------------- Unable to read the project file 'SolutionName.csproj'. C:\path\ProjectName.csproj(1585,11): The imported project "C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v8.0\WebApplications\Microsoft.WebApplication.targets" was not found. Confir...

Visual Studio 2005 Crashes after migrating from VS2003 to VS2005
I have migrated my project from vs2003 to vs2005 after installing application project. Everything is very smooth. And my project in vs 2005 can be compiled and run. However, when I use master page and try to drag a third party control component into the design region (in the content page), vs 2005 crashes. Well, this is not the headache yet. So I removed master page. And start running the project in debug mode, I keep getting the error message as listed next. Visual studio is frozen to death. No matter if I restart the visual studio or restart the computer, I keep getting the following infor...

(Scott?) Migrated Vs2003 to web app vs2005 Page_load fires twice...
Hi there,I have migrated a web project from vs 2003 to vs 2005 using web application projects... It works but page_load always fires twice. I know why this is ... because AutoEventWireUp is set to true BUT if i create a new page then AutoEventWireUp is also set to true and these don't fire twice..I was looking for some hookup source code but it doesn't exist.... I swear i looked high and low... it isn't there.... i was looking for something like this this.Load+=new EventHandler(thi.Page_Load);This means that the autoeventwireup would launch page_load and also above would... hence twice....

Does anybody know how to migrate a VS2003 WSE2.0 program to VS2005 WSE3.0?
Hello. I'm trying to migrate a VS2003.NET(VB), ASP.NET 1.1, .NET Framework 1.1, WSE 2.0 SP3, IIS 5.1 Web Application to VS2005(VB), ASP.NET 2.0, .Net Framwwork 2.0, WSE 3.0, Web Application. There were some errors which i resolved and still two warnings unresolved, but there is just one outstanding error that i cannot figure out how to fix. In the following function i get the error "'Attachments' is not a member of 'Microsoft.Web.Services3.SoapContext'" on the "doc.load" line.     Private Function GetList(ByVal classID As xatanetconduitwebservice.ClassType, ByVal orgID As ...

Just migrated to VS2005 now can't get VS2003 debugger to work
Hi, I just migrated my project from VS2003 to VS2005. Before I started I backed up my VS2003 solution. I now need to go back to VS2003 for a while (my boss has something urgent he wants doing so don't have time to get it working and do proper testing because of the new CLR 2.0). The problem is that I've restored my VS2003 solution and can't get the VS2003 debugger to start. It says: "Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server". I've looked at the help file but I need to narrow it down a bit (I can't check all that stuff!): Am I looking at a...

Error in VS2005 after uninstalling VS2003
I've just got round to removing VS2003 as I no longer use it. Now when I compile in VS2005 I get the following error Warning as Error: Invalid search path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Lib\' specified in 'LIB environment variable' -- 'The system cannot find the path specified. 'This only occurs on projects that had been converted from .NET 1.1. Has anybody any idea how to fix it?cheers! Ignore this, rebooting fixed it!...

Upgraded VB.NET from VS2003 to VS2005
I have added new components in C#.  The C# code preforms normally.  But changes in the VB code are not executed.  I can step through the VB code and watch it execute code that is no longer there.  I have run clean, and rebuilt the solution and web site. But I still get old code executed.  Where is the old module stored and how can I replace it? Thanks, Hi, Based on my understanding, when you run the code, the changes on the code is not applied. If we insert the breakpoint on that code, does it can be hit or show some warning message on the breakpoint? This looks ...

Web resources about - Error on migrating webapplication from VS2003 to VS2005 - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

Flickr: The Microcopy Pool
A collection of screenshots displaying examples of microcopy in web application, mobile and product design. Microcopy is tiny copy (often shorter ...

Gears puts Google in the driver's seat
The Sydney Morning Herald 404 Page

Lead Front-End Developer - $135k
Lead Front-End Developer - $135k job in Los Angeles, California, US. Read the Lead Front-End Developer - $135k job description and find other ...

BearCode - WebApplications development onshore offshore
Our Onshore Offshore methodology provides superior programming & excellent prices for WebApplications using robust relational databases

我的设计 « 虫子也有理想 – Bugsidea:Blog
UNIX TIMESTAMP: 1360463559 BLOG HOME YSLOW中文版 我的设计 MOOTOOLS专题 虫子也有理想 – Bugsidea:Blog 2010年04月15日 我的设计 Works 48 Photos 作者: Liuyang 发表于2010年04月15日 ...

Caspio Customers - Leading Companies Use Caspio
Caspio powers over 500,000 customer applications for companies of all sizes, including Enterprise, Media, Government, Education, Non-Profits, ...

The Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) FAQ
... containing a lot of dynamic content making theexperience for the user more enjoyable. Dynamic content is achieved through the use of webapplications ...

Social Networking Application Usage Grows Among Employees: Report
The report also explores a variety of risks associated with browser-based file-sharing applications, which varies by application and use case. ...

Microsoft eyes next big boom: e-commerce tools
Just as the software giant made moves to cash in on the Internet boom, Microsoft now is turning its attention to the growing market for e-commerce ...

Top Ranked Articles