2.0 web site and 1.1 Web Project

We converted a 1.1 solution to a 2.0 solution. All of our projects that are for the UI seem to be web applications, ie. they have a csproj file and the dll matches the name name of the project as the dll name. For example mywebsite.dll. There is one assembly. However when I right click on the root of the project in VS 2005 I get a convert to web application projet option we are using VSS. Why is this so to me it looks as though it is already a web application (because of the presence of the csproj file). If it were a web site from the .net 2.0 model then it would make sense ie. we can change it back. But the website model does not use csproj files and the dlls always have that funny naming stucture. myWebsiteabdj_ejdb.dll for example. Anybody shed some light on this?
Regards,
Pete

Peter Heard
0
peter_heard01
9/29/2008 9:06:08 AM
๐Ÿ“ asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005
๐Ÿ“ƒ 590 articles.
โญ 0 followers.

๐Ÿ’ฌ 5 Replies
๐Ÿ‘๏ธโ€๐Ÿ—จ๏ธ 855 Views

 Even after you convert a web site to a web application the "convert to web application" option still appears. I think this is a bug with the IDE, but I've converted several web sites to web applications and always noticed that myself.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."
0
DarthSwian
9/29/2008 11:23:43 AM

Sorry you say you've converted many web sites to web applications? Is isnt that the wrong way round since web sites in asp.net 2.0 and web application is from the 1.1 universe?
Cheers for the reply anyway does seem a bit odd that the option shows up when the project shows signs of still being a web application anyway. According to some tech specs i read there is a slight diffference between the actual web application project in 2.0 and 1.1 maybe thats the reason that the option is still there....can anyone else shed some light on this?
Pete

Peter Heard
0
peter_heard01
9/30/2008 7:41:49 AM

 Nope, 2008 brought back the web application and one of the main difference I see as in source control is web applications can be branched and merged where web sites cannot.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."
0
DarthSwian

By default, the Visual Studio 2005 Web project conversion wizard does not create the designer file for Web page. To migrate your code to use partial-class model, we can use "Convert to Web Application", which iterates through each page and moves all control declarations to .designer file, and adds event handler declarations to the server-control markup in the .aspx.
We also can use the use "Convert to Web Application"  on individual aspx pages which doesn't use designer file.
This "Convert to Web Application" is available even though it is Web Application already. This is helpful for us if we add external page to Web Application.
It would be better that we backup the pages and build it successfully before using this option.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click โ€œMark as Answerโ€ on the post that helps you, and to click โ€œUnmark as Answerโ€ if a marked post does not actually answer your question.
0
Thomas
10/2/2008 6:35:40 AM

oh i see that makes sense now so they are a web application in .net 2.0 style but still using 1.1 architecture that makes sense. I assume you single dll would dissappear if you did the convert to web application option in that case. Well in any case I guess 'if it aint broke dont try and fix it' would be the best apprach here. No point converting everything to partial classes unless a clear benefit....
Cheers Guys...
Pete

Peter Heard
0