Question: Localizing Images in Visual Studio 2005

Hey.

I've created a website that is available in both english and italian.

I've gotten the page translated and the text portion works fine.

However, I have a couple images that needed to be translated because they contained some text so I have an english version of the image and an italian version of the image.

How do I go about localizing these images and displaying it on my page based on the browser default language?

I went into my english resource file, then instead of the "strings" view, I went to" images" and simply dragged the english version of the image into this window. I did the same in my italian resource file except I dragged the italian image over.

My question is this... how do I call the image into my .aspx page?

thanks

0
dinthed
5/19/2006 2:58:23 PM
asp.net.localization 2171 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi, the quickest and easiest way to do this is to actualy store the images as Global Resources, not local. Take the following action:

  • Create a global resource file as you have local ones, in a global resource folder.
  • Enter the files and type an identifying string such as "HeaderLogo"
  • In the next column enter the url of the image (i.e. I have all project images in my project within a folder called "IMG")
  • Do the same for the other language.
  • Go to your aspx page
  • Place some image tags on your page where you wish to display.
  • For each image, go into its properties and click on "Expressions".
  • A box will appear for your image
  • Find the 'Navigate URL' option
  • Set the 'ClassKey' to the name of your resource file (just the text, no file extension or text you have specified a language with E.G page: resource.hi-IN.resx become resource).
  • For the resource key, this will be the entry text you placed in the resource file ("HeaderLogo")

Thats it, done. Let me know if it works.

Tom

0
Tom
2/8/2007 2:08:29 PM

I ment 'Image URL' not 'Navigate URL'

Cheers

0
Tom

Visual Studio 2005
When i view a page in design-mode I can generate a local resource file. When I place a label-control in a r.a.d.splitter control it is not recognized and entered in the resource file. A label-control that is placed outside the splitter-control is created. What are the rules for this functionality? Does anyone have a good source on this feature?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". Hi Johan,  GenerateLocalResources looks at properties of each control that is marked with a [Locali...

How to image local-to-local
I tried using a couple different Cool Tip articles about zen imaging to USB drives, but am still having problems. I want to store the c:\ drive onto a different partition on the same hard drive. Here's the scenario: 40Gig drive: 20Gig windows partition 10Gig ext2-formatted partition (10gig unused) I mounted the 10Gig partition, then went into the IMG tool and tried to save the c:\drive image to it but it bombs out almost immediately with "Out of space on destination", even though I know that the resulting zmg file will be far less than 10Gig. Please tell me ...

from Visual Studio .NET to Visual studio 2005 (VB)
Good evening, i hame one quistion about diffrenece Visual studio 2005 and older version.In Visual studio .NET to work with table from data base i do next steps:1. Create new connection to data base in data explorer2. Push my table from data explorer to my form, and master automatically create two components (SqlConnection and SqlDataAdapter)3. Add to from new object - Dataset for transering data to client application (i amke a web service) and execute command from menu Data | Generate DataSet, then in Dialog box i Add this dataset to the designerThat's itThe quistion is how to do this st...

Can I Have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 together?
Hi everyone. Can I have Visual Studio.NET and Visual Studio 2005 installed in the same machine? I want to install Studio 2005 but I do not want to uninstall Studio.NET yet. Thanks!C# I am running VS 2003 and VS 2005 together with no problems.Martin Lawrence, MCSE, CNE, A+ Recut Technologies Ltd. http://www.recut.com Yes, they can be installed side-by-side. I have it installed side-by-side on my computer and it works perfectly without any conflicts. I even think there is a Version Selector (not something you have to install as it is installed by default) which will make sure your pro...

Visual Studio 2005 Pro / Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro ?
Ok I have enough money now to purchase Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro but what do you think guys, is it too late? Do I need to wait til Visual Studio 2005 is officially release? If you suggest me to wait, so I will still use my Visual Studio.NET Pro 60 days trial edition. After the trial reach its limit, I will reformat my HD and install my Windows + Visual Studio Trial again. Yeah this is make me tired but I dont need to spend 600 bucks again for upgrade. or perhaps I will use MSDN Subscription Pro but I hope Visual Studio 2005 Pro will release before my subscription is expired. ...

Running Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 on the same machine.
Hi there,   I have many projects i develop and continue to maintain on my server. Visual Studio .NET 2003 is currently installed and is what i use to do this. I'd really like to install Visual Studio 2005 and give that a whirl on the same machine, and perhaps develop upcoming sites with it also.I understand that upon installation of VS 2005 it will install the 2.0 Framework. Will this effect my 1.1 sites at all? Does the 2.0 Framework upgrade the 1.1 framework, or does it leave the 1.1 framework intact so older projects can still use it?Any advice would be welcome! :)Thanks,Cr...

Autos, Locals in VB.NET/Visual Studio
There may be a more appropriate forum to ask this, but I figure since the only time I am really dealing with VB.NET is in DNN, I'd ask here. I have been making a C# module and everything is going smoothly. But in working with VB.NET code in Debug mode, I keep having a problem. In the Locals, and Autos windows when I am debuging something in C#, I can drill down and see the properties of the particular object and see its bases and so on. When I am in VB.NET code, I can't drill down any object. I can access particular properties by using the command window, and printing them ,but it...

Visual Studio "Orcas" Visual Studio.net "2005"
What are Microsoft on weed??? Whidby Orcas Indigo XAML Longhorn What are they trying to do to us developers. The transition to any new tools should be minimal. What we know about WebServices is now old bunk. Why did we bother with .net 1.1???????? Now we need to learn new silly names and new ways of doing things. Yes .net 1.1 is still supported in v2.0. But there are a million and one other needless things that we will have pushed onto us. Only to find in anther two years that they are old hat and there are new radical ways to do what we want.MCAD.Net vb.n...

Web resources about - Question: Localizing Images in Visual Studio 2005 - asp.net.localization

How Walmart Is Localizing Its Stores With Facebook
A social-local strategy lets retailers capitalize on consumer use of new media, at the store level.

Localizing Slogans: When Language Translation Gets Tricky
A slogan. It seems pretty straightforward. Translating a couple words or even a sentence shouldn’t be all that complicated, right? And yet we’ve ...

Looks like Atlus is localizing Attack on Titan 3DS
Atlus USA is localizing Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind for Nintendo 3DS, according to a rating released today by the Australian Classification ...

VIMC: A Leading Beneficiary of Localizing China's Video Surveillance Industry
On May 1, 2011, a new video and audio codec standard, the SVAC standard, was officially promulgated in China’s video surveillance industry. The ...

Localizing Games For China Doesn’t Just Mean Making Them More “Chinese” - TechCrunch
China boasts the world's fastest growing market for mobile devices and, like in the rest of the world, games dominate the amount of time users ...

Aksys Games on localizing the hot samurai of Hakuoki
During this month's Anime Expo, Aksys Games revealed plans to localize Idea Factory's Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom , a romance-centric ...

Blood, sweat and kanji: The hurdles and rewards of localizing niche Japanese games
Japanese role-playing games dominated the PlayStation Vita bar at Sony's booth, with titles like Valhalla Knights, Dragon's Crown and Ys: Memories ...

Localizing Language in the Brain: Study Pinpoints Areas of the Brain Used Exclusively for Language
New research suggests that there are parts of our brain dedicated to language and only language, a finding that marks a major advance in the ...

The Challenges of Localizing Your Website by @Lingo24
image credit: ShutterStock There are a number of challenges any business or organization must face when localizing its website. There are issues ...