Can resources be used to give non techs ability to change webform text?

Hi There

I was wondering if it is possible to use Resources to give non technical users the ability to change text on a webform?  ie, if on a web form there is some text like "Please fill in your details below" and my project manager wants that changing, is there some way I can use resources so that they can modify these pieces of content themselves.

This would save a lot of time, and also allow me to spend more time writing apps rather than making copy changes.

I know the resource files are usually compiled into the DLL, so editing these at runtime doesnt seem to feasible.  Im sure if this could be done, then it would be easy enough to list the resource file content on a page somewhere so that the project manager can edit copy till their heart is content.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sincerely,
PaulTAG
C# Software Developer
0
PaulTAG
2/10/2007 5:20:35 PM
asp.net.localization 2171 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Paul,

Yes, they work for such purposes.

RESX files are XML files, so you can give them to translators (they have tools to deal with XML files), or any user (XSLT them to transform them to text or Word files).

Basically, you write your Web page once, create a RESX file for it, and then add a RESX file (just copy the basic RESX file created) for each language for the page.

I you need more info, I wrote an article how to translate ASP.net Web applications.

Best regards,

Arnaud

Microsoft .net Training and Consulting
http://www.dreamdotnet.com/
Microsoft .net 3.0 Training and Consulting
0
aweil
2/11/2007 5:48:00 AM

Thanks Arnaud

That was just the answer I was looking for.  After some digging around I found some additional information about creating a DB provider for resources, enabling the storage of resources in the Database.  This might be something I look into.  But for now your suggestion of using the XML resources will do the job.

Thanks again

Paul

Sincerely,
PaulTAG
C# Software Developer
0
PaulTAG
2/11/2007 12:16:00 PM

You're welcome.

I didn't know you could store resources in a database! It sounds good, but for non-techies purposes I guess an XML file is a good tool.

Best regards,

Arnaud

Microsoft .net Training and Consulting
http://www.dreamdotnet.com/
Microsoft .net 3.0 Training and Consulting
0
aweil
2/11/2007 3:23:19 PM

Arnaud,

I have provided a published/compiled site to my client.  I like to have my client edit the content in the RESX files.  However, it doesn't seem possible when the site is published/compiled.  Am I wrong?  Is there a way for my client to be able to change the content of the RESX files?  If so, how?

0
BugInfested

Why can I not use XMLHttpRequest to access a local resource from a local resource ?
Why can I not use XMLHttpRequest to access a local resource from a local resource ? Source URL : > file:///F:/Hellenic-Institute/Research/Etheridge/Electronic-Edition/Index.html Error diagnostic : > Timestamp: 25/03/2014 12:01:55 > Error: NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI: Access to restricted URI denied > Source File: file:///F:/Hellenic-Institute/Research/Etheridge/Electronic-Edition/Index.html > Line: 264 Relevant code fragment : > function LoadApparatusCriticus () > { > var XHR = new XMLHttpRequest () > var URL = "../Resources/Productio...

How to change txt2.text when the txt1's.text changes using JavaScript?
Hello! I want some JavaScript (or any other client-side) solution for my problem thatdescribed here:  http://forums.asp.net/p/1382766/2930267.aspx In a few words, my problem is that i don't know the way to change the txt2.text valuewhen the txt1.text value changes... Please read the http://forums.asp.net/p/1382766/2930267.aspx first...I want only JavaScript solution... Thank you very much! Like this? <input type="text" id="TextBox1" name="TextBox1" onchange="textBox1OnChange(this);" runat="server" /><input type...

I can't use a Local Resource value
Hello,I have a page class and inside it I have a ITemplate class to create the item template of a repeater:Partial Class Contacts  Inherits System.Web.UI.Page   Private Class myTemplate    Implements ITemplate    ...    Private Sub()         MyLabel.Text = Me.GetLocalResourceObject("MyLabel.Text").ToString()             *****    End Sub    ...   End Class      End Class My...

How Can I Change Page Margins Dynamically Using .Net
Hi,   I have been working on a report using .Net 1.1 framework which also Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} facilitates users to...

How can I download/save emails text (using .NET)?
I'm trying to programmatically (in VB.Net) download emails and parse through them. The message body is really all that I'm after (and the date sent). So far I can detect new messages but not get at them. Thanks... -- sl8rz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check the "GroupWise Object API" SDK - you'll find it on developer.novell.com. Wolfgang "sl8rz" <sl8rz@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message news:sl8rz.3811an@no-mx.forums.novell.com... > > I'm trying to programmati...

What hosts is most like developing locally (IIS7, can use management studio, can use IIS manager) ?
Nothing worse than having to use some asp.net page to do queries. With IIS7 is there some hosting that makes me feel like i am developing on my local box and using the tools mentioned above?  http://punkouter.spaces.live.comhttp://simplecoder.net Take a look at Discountasp.net great company and no problems with remote access. Also seem to offer good deal wirh 3month or 6 month off, take a look at http://www.discountasp.net/signup/special/6f87s/ Hope it helpsRegardsJeremyIf this has helped Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.That...

Can I use localization that has nothing to do with locale?
I'm just starting out with asp.net and please forgive me if this is a stupid question.... I need to build an application that is completely modifiable but not because of language settings. Its more of a case of wanting to give my application a new "face" depending on who views it. If its a member of group "A" I want to use different labels, images and stylesheets than if its a member of group "B". The group will be part of the URL they use to access the site. I would imagine that resource files and separate directories for images and stylesheets will be...

.NET can find localized resource dlls in INT but not in PPE
Hi, The strings in our portal can be localized in INT but cannot in PPE.  Here are the some observations: (1)    Exactly same build is deployed in both INT and PPE. I used windiff to compare the whole website folders coming from INT and PPE. There is no difference found between the binaries and config files. (2)    The strings can be localized for all 12 languages in INT but for only 6 out of 12 in PPE. For example, zh-CHS works in both INT and PPE. ar and ro works in INT but not in PPE (falling back to English). (3)    The resource dll...

Can Non-.NET Web Service Clients Use Datasets?
If a .NET-written web serice returns a dataset, can a web service not written in .NET use that dataset? If not, what should be returned? thanks in advance, Geoff I would return a string (in xml format possibly) - you could probably just return DataSet.ToXML() as the return value How about creating an object to represent each row in the dataset and then putting it into an array?...

When I upload a text file from client to server using stream, how can I guarantee that the uploaded text file can be displayed correctly?
When I upload a text file from client to server using stream, how can I guarantee that the uploaded text file can be displayed correctly? A user want to upload a text file from client PC to server (normally it is Windows 2003), but I'm not sure which OS it is in client, maybe it is a english version Windows or chinese Windows (default encoding is GB2312).so the encoding of text file in client maybe is ASCII or GB2312.I think that "StreamReader myRead= new StreamReader(FileUpload1.PostedFile.InputStream,Encoding.Default) will be run in server,so "Encoding.Default" will be the default encodin...

How can I create a vCalendar file using vb.net and data from my webform
Does anyone know of how or where I might get an example of how to create a vCalendar file in vb.net code using data from controls on a webform?Thank youJackxxx Jackxxx:Does anyone know of how or where I might get an example of how to create a vCalendar file in vb.net code using data from controls on a webform? Hi Jackxxx,I never use vCalendar, it seems it is the third party control. I suggest you post your question to their website, maybe you can get the best answer there.After search, here is their website link:http://www.vcalendar.org/site/faq.phpLet me know if I have misunderstood...

how can we give text decorations on a button;i am keeping resource files for the button
Hi all how can we give text decorations on a button;i am keeping resource files for the button i would like to use below written like localization with asp button control  <asp:Label ID="lblFerryNo" runat="server" Text="Ferry <u>N</u>umber:" AccessKey="N"                                            AssociatedControlID=&...

Reply to e-mail under Local Folders uses default account. Can this be changed?
For e-mails in folders under the Local Folders account, replies default to using the default e-mail account in Thunderbird, not the account through which the e-mail got received. I'd like to reply through the same account through which an e-mail was received. Is this not possible in Thunderbird? On 6/27/2014 12:19 PM, Good Guy wrote: > > How do emails get into local folders in the first place? If you have > created the accounts correctly (IMAP I assume) then all downloaded > messages should go to the respective folders of that account. > > Look under the...

Can you change a linkbutton's text using client side javascript?
I have a linkbutton which opens a new window. When the user closes the new window, I want to change the text of the original linkbutton. The issue isn't the popup window since know how to use window.opener. The problem is that I don't know how to use javascript to change the inner text of the linkbutton which I know is rendered as anchor tags. Any suggestions? Hi, on the Page where the LinkButton is, you can output the client-side ID of the LinkButton with it's ClientID property assuming you have <asp:LinkButton ID="LinkButton1" runat="server" Text="Hello" />So you could ou...

Web resources about - Can resources be used to give non techs ability to change webform text? - asp.net.localization

Minister of Natural Resources (Canada) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Minister of Natural Resources ( French : Ministre des Ressources naturelles ) is the Minister of the Crown in the Canadian Cabinet who is ...

ASX rally fizzles as commodity crunch weighs on resources and energy stocks
A strong start to the Australian sharemarket turned sour on Tuesday, as declining commodity prices weighed heavily on resources and energy stocks. ...

Resource stocks could rally in 2017: BKI
Resources companies that have been smashed by slowing demand from China may rebound from their current performance woes as early as next year, ...

Microsoft to donate '$1 billion' worth of cloud computing resources
... of motivation, its donations are much appreciated. Today, Microsoft announces that it is donating "$1 billion" worth of cloud computing resources, ...

Creating Personal Wealth: 7 Resources Every Business Woman Should Know About
Being a woman in the business world can be rough, and you need to prove yourself every time you turn around. One thing that will show that you ...

A New Resource
My colleague Ariel Pakes alerts me to a new website that should be of interest to readers of this blog: Microeconomic Insights provides accessible ...

Resource Sites Open For Flint Residents Amid Water Crisis
Deputy State Director of Emergency Management and Homeland Security Capt. Chris Kelenske says "residents can pick-up all of the resources they ...

The False Promise Of Decoupling GDP Growth From Resource Consumption
... less by our selfish greed, but by the very ancient norms of gift exchange. [&hellip The False Promise Of Decoupling GDP Growth From Resource ...

Stan Lee Talks Possibility Of Star Wars/Avengers Crossover Film - Comic Book Resources
Stan Lee Talks Possibility Of Star Wars/Avengers Crossover Film - The iconic Marvel creator compares the possible event film to his creation ...

GOP chair of Natural Resources Committee seeks public lands giveaway disguised as environmental bill
... and is a network of right-wing grassroots and corporate front groups focused on attacking environmentalists and promoting free-for-all resource ...