Visual Web Developer 2008 doesn't connect to SQL Server 2008 Express

 Hey everyone. I'm once again having trouble with my install of Visual Web Developer 2008 and SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services on my Vista Home Premium notebook.

 VWD 2008 can't seem to connect to my databases in SQL Server 2008.

I use the Connect to Database feature in the Tools menu and select Microsoft SQL Server. When I get to the Add Connection window I hit refresh next to the Server name drop-down but nothing shows up. I'm completely baffled by this.

 What do you think is the cause of this? What are the steps i need to take to resolve this issue?

Another issue reveals itself whenever I view a project in a browser.

The browser just times out and is not able to connect to the localhost. The problem is not browser specific though, it happens on both firefox and ie.

Your opinions and solutions are much appreciated.

0
jcella

you have to install VS 2008 SP1 to connect to SQL Server 2008

Regards...
Nassar, Rami
My Blog || E-Mail

rami_nassar
2/4/2009 9:34:59 AM

 Thank you for your reply. I installed VS 2008 SP1 and can now see the server. The solution spawned another issue though, now I'm getting an error whenever I test the connection. The error reads as follows:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occured while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

Any thoughts on this one? I am once again supremely stumped.

0
jcella
2/4/2009 1:03:42 PM

im having the same problem, no idea tho'...

---
PHP4: Pro
ASP: noob
0
rkorebrits
2/4/2009 6:04:14 PM

I have the same problem... which is really disappointing...

Currently, I can only uninstall SQL2008 and get back to SQL2005... and still doesn't know if it works or not....

: (

0
lovem

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

Visual Web Developer 2008 SP1 install failure
Hi,I'm running Vista Home Premium Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000 which came pre-installed with Framework versions 1.0.3705, 1.1.4322, 2.0.50727, 3.0 and 3.5.I've downloaded Visual Web Developer SP1 (vwdsetup.exe) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F3FBB04E-92C2-4701-B4BA-92E26E408569&displaylang=en and have tried installing it but the installation process will not go any further than the step shown in the following screenshot.  It tries to re-establish connection with server 5 times and then gives up and fails. I've also installed Framework v...

Can't Install Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have tried 3 times over 10 hours to get this installed. The application downloads the files ok, launches the install for each component but when it (finally) gets to SQL Publishing Wizard, a windows msgbox pops up stating Invalid license data. Reinstall is required". This msgbox is an OK only box. I click on OK and the install continues it's thing and then reports all components install successfully! After the installer is finished and closes. I try to launch the app from the Start menu and it opens the Visual Studio 2008 application and displays the design interface OK But befor...

can't install ajaxControlToolKit with Visual Web Developer 2008 express
 Hi,i'm having problems installing ajaxControlToolKitI've downloaded asp.net 3.5 extentions and ajaxControlToolKit. I installed asp.net extensions and unziped ajaxControlToolKit. When i try to choose items inside toolbox tab in Visual Web Developer 2008 Express it says: "There was an error loading assembly c:/.../ajaxControlToolKit.dll.  Could not load file or assembly System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=..." Or one of its dependencies. I have .net framework v3.5What am i doing wrong?Thanks   I solved my pro...

Installation of SQL Server 2008 Express blows up before installing actual server, can't repair or continue it.
 I tried to installl SQL Server 2008 Express edition on my personal desktop.  I started off by chosing to install an unclustered version (don't know the difference between clustered and unclustered so I chose the first) and then it said I had all the requirements, all checks went through it even installd the management studio express.  But when it was installing the server, it went through and then just stopped through giving an error message saying there was an error in installation.  I had uninstalled previous versions of SQL server 2005 and compact, but it was just...

SQL SERVER 2005 EXPRESS WON'T INSTALL WITH VISUAL WEB DEVELOPER
I'm installing visual web developer (beta edition).  It comes with the option of also installing sql server 2005 express.  The web developer installs, but the sql server 2005 express gives me the following error:The Exception 'unknown software exception 0xc06d007f occured in the application at location 0x7c59bbf3.I already have microsoft.net framework sdk v1.1 on the computer -  and an expired version of a trial of sql server which I tried to remove with the control panel's 'add/remove software'.ThanksCohenMarvin--Marv First Remove all, then install the Micrsoft .Net Fr...

Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition...Can't connect to Database
Sorry to bring this topic up again....seems like such a noobie question, however I have done almost everything I can to try to connect to database through the ASP.NET Configuration and then going to  "Provider Configuration". When I first started using this program maybe a week or so ago, I had Windows XP. The only thing that I specified in my firewall was just to give access to VWD, and that was it. But recently after getting Windows Vista, I am sure it is not the operating system, I can't seem to connect to the database. This has been going on for some time now and I hav...

connecting to a ms sql server database with visual studio web developer express 2008
how do I let users who visit my site update the database using visual studio web developer express edition 2008. so i want to add a coments page for example where users enter their name email, comments in textboxes. And then this is updtated in the sql server database. also how does one get the isp number to also be updated in the database. So basically users must be able to add new records to the database First create a connection object to your database Then create dataAdapter In the dataAdapter specify your Sql statement and lastly execute the statement All of these steps are a litt...

Visual Studion Express 2008 SP1, Visual Web Developer Express 2008 and Web Application Project Template
Hi All, I installed Visual Web Developer Express 2008 sp1 on my two machines, one running Vista & other running XP. On the XP machine, when I open VWD Express 2008 I get an option to use Web Application project template as a new project option but on my Vista machine I only get an option to use Web site model template option. My question is, is the sp1 incompatible with vista? Any help or explanation would be appreciated   Thanks SP1 is compatible with vista.  I would try devenv.exe /installvstemplates to see if you could force vwd to see the other project types otherwise ...

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem
Apologies if this has already been covered, i can't find any search function on the forum. I have a somewhat annoying problem with the above software. I use Vista Home Premium x64 and have decided to install VWD 2008 and SQL2005 to learn ASP and SQL development. I only have a moderate undertanding of standard HTML and would like to expand my knowledge.  It is the final non-beta version of VWD 2008. The install went fine and no errors were shown. After trying to connect to the database via the ASP.NET application tool in VWD it gives an "unable to connect to the database ...

Web resources about - Visual Web Developer 2008 doesn't connect to SQL Server 2008 Express - asp.net.installation-setup