Visual Studio 2005 Standard with SQL Express and SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition

Hi folks,

I had visual studio 2005 Standard edition (with SQL Express) running. Then I install SQL Server 2005 Developer edition.

It generally worked however some part of SQL Server Developer did not work properly (namely diagrams). I browsed the internet and

found something that said I should install the .NET Framework Service Pack 1. I did so. It fixed SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition however

it seems to have broken portions of Visual Studio. Specifically, typed dataset. I could add a dataset however I could no longer configure or add

a table adapter. Telling me the "data provider may not be installed" (just the basic SQL Client).

So I uninstalled Visual studio and tried to reinstall it without SQLExpress. Same result.

I have played around with the connection strings and noticed that I could get table adapters working in a Website but not in class libraries associated

with the website (i have a Data Access Layer class library).

Any thoughts on how to resolve this. I figuring I may need to start over (uninstall VS 2005, SQL Server and the Framework) but is there a desired order to install?

Is there anything else I need to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

0
TomKAustin

 I believe you should have .NET Framework 2.0 installed. If not, please consider installing .NET Framework 2.0.

Dev
0
devcalpoly
6/25/2008 7:12:16 AM

 Sorry, I should have been more specific. the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 is installed (which includes the .NET Framework 2.0 I believe).

Thanks

Tom

0
TomKAustin
6/25/2008 2:55:19 PM

For VS 2005 and SQL Server 2005, there is an install order.  It caused a lot of problems when these were released.  Here's a link to more information:

http://geekswithblogs.net/Ingrid/archive/2006/02/03/68116.aspx

If my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.

Crystal Alliance
My Blog
Florist Blogs
0
rjdudley

Sql Server 2005 Express or Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition
Hi all, I just installed my VS 2005 Pro (full installation) and it installed Sql Server Express 2005.  I also have a CD for Sql Server 2005 Developer Edition which I have not installed yet.  My need for Sql Server on my development machine is for building and testing apps - just myself - no users will be hitting my sql server on my PC.  Most of the time I hit my web server's sql server but also want the engine on my PC for when I'm offline. Question: Should I install the developer edition and remove sql server express?  Doesn't the developer edition more close...

Installing .NET Framework, Sql Server 2005 Express, and Visual Studio 2005 Professional
Will someone please offer some advice, a walkthrough, or something to help me through this?  I installed all three of these pieces (.NET, SQL Server 2005 Express, and VS 2005 Professional) onto a WinXP box.  I was unable to get it to work.  It kept throwing SQL errors when I tried to run the security setup for the Personal Website Starter Kit.  So, I uninstalled everything except .NET and reinstalled.  At this point I was able to get to the setup, but unable to add users.  It doesn't throw errors or anything, it just doesn't do anything.  I really re...

SQL Server 2005
I'm very confused.  I installed Visual Studio 2005 and thought I understood that SQL Server 2005 came with it, but it appears that it's SQL Server 2005 - Express.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do in order to get Data Transformation Services loaded or the equivalent of DTS in SQL Express?     beejay I have to say: actually SQL Express, not SQL2005 full version, comes with VS2005. To manage your SQL Express databases much easier, you can download a Management Studio Express from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/ Then you can...

SQL Server 2005 Express and Visual Studio 2005 Standard
Hi everyone,I am trying to connect to SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced Services from Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition.  I have SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition but it took up so much space and resources on my computer that I didn't want to put it back on there.  So I put the SQL Express on there and while the Management Studio application connects just fine, VS 2005 will not.  Oddly enough, VS 2005 connected just fine to SQL 2005 Standard.  I have enabled shared memory, named pipes and TCP/IP.  I have set up SQL Express to accept remote connections on named p...

upgrading from sql server 2005 express edition to sql server 2005 express with advanced services
If i have been using sql server 2005 express for developing my application and i decide to upgrade to sql server 2005 express with advanced services while still working on the same application, what will happen to my  application's database. Can i be able to continue with my work with out any major regrets.--------------------------------------------------No Project Too Eazy.-------------------------------------------------- I have answered you in this other thread there is no problem, if there is a problem I would have warned you.  Hope this helps.http://forums.asp.net/...

SQL Server 2005 express connectivity with Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hello I'm having a problem with the server connection and my C# code. The code executes alright but no data is entered into the database behind it.  I'm pasting the connection code over here as well. The sql commands are used in the code. I think I used the sql server mobile edition which is installed along with visual studio.net 2005. Anyone know what's wrong, and can help me out? Thanks in advance.public static void storeInDb(string trackName, string artist, string albumTitle, string year, string path, uint[] fp) { string connStr="Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;At...

My SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition cannot cooperate with Visual Studio 2005
I konw on default, IIS and ASP.NET set SQL Express as the default data server. However, no matter what I change the string of LocalSqlServer, nothing works. So My IIS can not display the page with database and I also can't use Role managment. How to change the defualt database to Developer Edition? String for writing good programs. Hi, and welcome to the ASP.NET forums. After you installed SQL Server 2005 developer edition you need to run the aspnet_regsql tool that ships with the .NET 2.0 framework. A good explanation can be found here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/08/25/...

Confliction between SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
Hi,   My objective is using a single DB file (mdf file)  + SQL Server Express 2005 to run my program   I got two softwares here, Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005. Firstly, I installed Visual Studio 2005, normally the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition will be installed with this software. After finishing the installation. I opened a new project and try to open a DB file (.mdf) from Visual Studio 2005, it works. The problem is that I can't restore the mdf file from an old database file since it lose a lot of functions that appear in SQL Server 2000 / SQL Server 2005. ...

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

Visual Studio 2005 Express and SQL server 2005 Express
Just a question from a Microsoft Freak. Wil dotnetnuke in the nearby future support SQL 2005 Express and wil there come a "template" for modules for Visual Studio 2005 Express ? I guess that depends on what you understand by "nearby future". I think SQL 2005 Express will work with the current version already (haven't tried however) and with such a big community I think maybe someone will eventually create a template ? Geert Veenstra Well, let me be the test case. I'l try it this evening and come back to you an the answer about SQL 2005 express. About the visual...

Restoring a SQL Server Express 2005 Database to SQL Server Standard 2005
Hello,If I backup and restore an express database to sql server 2005 standard, will there still be limitations in regards to the database size, cpu...etc.? Thanks,Jon  I suppose that no. Limitations are connected to SQL engine not to database itself. But probably if your database will grow up connected to SQL Standard and you will try to move it back to SQL express you will be in trouble.  ThanksJPazgier...

Is MS Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition work with SQL Server 2005?
Hi, I am new to the SQL Server 2005. I used the MS Visual Web developer 2005 Express Edition to create the website before. Now, I would like to connect the SQL Server 2005 (Standard or professional version) as a database to my website to retrieve the data from it; is that possible?   Thanks. Yes.Steve Wellens My blog Thanks!...

Web resources about - Visual Studio 2005 Standard with SQL Express and SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition - asp.net.installation-setup

Dungeons and developers
Have you ever wanted to learn web development or just refine your webdev skills? Dungeons and Developers gives your quest for knowledge a role ...

Video game developer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A video game developer is a software developer (a business or an individual) that creates video games . A developer may specialize in a certain ...

Swift is quickly rising in popularity as a developer language … but how much is Apple using Swift?
... most popular language in the TIOBE index . The surge in popularity was spurred by the release of Swift into open-source in December. With developer ...

Developers Get On Survival Mode In The Wilderness Of Lapland
... isn’t enough of a challenge. Now one of the largest game development events, Finnish Game Jam Goes Survival Mode , gathers together 20 developers ...

Uncharted 4 developer hints at Drake’s fate under Sony
Someone looks worried... Uncharted developer Naughty Dog has already said that the upcoming Uncharted 4: A Thief's End will be the last game ...

Apple's iAd may soon allow developers to keep all the revenue
Back in 2010, Steve Jobs revealed Apple’s new mobile advertising platform iAd. The goal of this new venture into advertising was to make the ...

Create promo codes for your apps and in-app products in the Google Play Developer Console
Posted by Yoshi Tamura, Product Manager, Google Play Over the past six months, a number of new tools in the Google Play Developer Console have ...

Apple's massive developer event could be held on June 13
Apple's World Wide Developer Conference (WWDC) could run between June 13 and June 17, according to MacRumors . The Moscone Centre, in San Francisco, ...

Crytek will help colleges train young VR developers
Crytek is best known for Crysis, Far Cry and other games that push the limits of CryEngine, a developer tool that it licenses to other studios. ...

QuickBooks Recruits App Developers To Create Greater End-User Value
How can a market leader stay on top? Innovation, engagement, self-disruption, entrepreneurship and thought leadership are all solid business ...