Unable to use session state server....requires session state server version 2.0 or above.

So, I have Windows 2003 IIS latest service packs running. Its running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 applications in seperate application pools.

Just today I applied the following patch to the server. (The server is not running any 3.0 or 3.5 applications or application pools)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing updates to the .NET Framework 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.0 subcomponents. The .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides important application compatibility updates.

Now the first time I access the application I get the following exception. Second page refresh everything is fine..... Until the application pool stops, application resarts, or server restarts... But its only happening for the first time and then everything is fine.
Exception message: Unable to use session state server because this version of ASP.NET requires session state server version 2.0 or above.

I uninstalled the above patch and the issue went away. So, any idea how to keep the patch and fix this issue?

Remember to select "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you find the solution!
0
matrixIII

Hello matrixIII,

You might try re-running aspnet_regsql.exe.  Below are two links from people had a same error msg and resolved it (although not by installing a path).  Hope one of them works for you.

~Rick

http://www.dgdev.net/2008/12/aspnet-session-state-error/

http://bhaidar.net/cs/archive/2008/04/06/problem-in-sql-server-session-state-asp-net-3-5.aspx

Please mark the post as ANSWER if it helps you

Disclaimer: Just my opinion. Not my employer or anyone else....
0
Rick
1/29/2009 8:33:46 AM

Oh I am not using a sql server (or any database server) for the session state. I am using the "stateserver" option not "sqlserver" so, it just stores the session state in memory using stateserver.exe service. I actually came across those articles before but for those people it didnt work at all. Mine just throws exception for the first access of the application and then everything is fine...

Remember to select "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you find the solution!
0
matrixIII
1/29/2009 1:56:30 PM

I re-installed .net 2.0 and that fixed it. Hope it helps someone...

Remember to select "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you find the solution!
0
matrixIII

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server #2
We have recently started receiving these errors in the event viewer. We are using the out of proc state server on the same machine. The errors become more frequent, almost like it snowballs until users cannot work. System Info: Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 , 4 GB of RAM, IIS 6.0, Asp.Net 2.0. What I know for certain: The state server is started and running Recycling the app pool nor restarting IIS fixes the problem Rebooting the machine DOES temporarily fix the problem. I changed the stateNetworkTimeout from 10 to 20 in webconfig and that had no effect. There is usuall...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server.
 Hello,           I’m receiving this error when I put my website on production."Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection.  If the server is on the local machine, and if the before men...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
Hi all, I'm working on the website http://universityauction.net and I was using session variables using InProc session mode to manage session state. This worked fine until I put the website in a load balanced environment, as inproc sessions get lost when jumping from server to server. I decided to move to a state server mode, so I changed my web.config to: <sessionState             mode="StateServer"             stateConnectionString="tcpip=123.456.7.8:42424"      ...

Error: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
I have session configured in web.config this way:<sessionState mode="StateServer" cookieless="true", timeout="30" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" />  ASP.NET State Service is started.   I got an error:  Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContr...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server etc.
We are getting an error message "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server..." sporadically in one of our applications.  We have several applications running on a 4-server web farm, and these applications have been in production for a year, so it is not a problem that the server is not reachable, not started, not addressed correctly, etc etc etc. One of the applications *does* put a lot of large datasets into session state.  Is there a limit on the allowable size of a session/cached object?  Also, the application opens several windows at once, ...

Unable to make the session state request to the session state server
 We have a web application in our school called CHECM. We are experiencing a high volume of ASP.NET State Server errors throughout this month. These errors have been occurring since 7/11/2006.   Our Session State Mode has been --------------------------------------------------------- <sessionState mode="StateServer" stateConnectionString="tcpip=CHECM:42424" timeout="20" stateNetworkTimeout="30"/>     Here is the Error we get randomly Exception: System.Web.HttpException Message: Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. P...

Visual Studio 2005
 Hi, I have recently been given a PC with Vista on it, and installed Visual Studio 2005 pro. I then moved a ASP.net web project from an XP machine to the Vista one. When I run the project from inside Visual Studio (debug mode) everything works fine on the front end of the website, but if I try and log in I get the following error:  Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that i...

Error message
Hello,I have developed an ASP.NET c# application.I have a "Reports" page in which i put the the report's DataTable in a session (to use it later on for paging and sorting).This works on my localhost but on production I get the follwong error:Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accepts remote requests by checking the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic...

Good news for those of you who get "Unable to make the session state request to the session state server." error..
Dear all,Due to the known problem of session variables getting lost if using InProc-server during frequent changes in development, I had to choose between SQL and ASP.NET State server, so I opted for the second. Initially, all fine, but after using it for a few days, I started to get this error: Server Error in '/cv2' Application.Unable to make the session state request to the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service is started and that the client and server ports are the same.  If the server is on a remote machine, please ensure that it accep...

Session on End event if using state server or sql server
The documentation for 'Session_OnEnd' indicates that it not invoked if the session is stored in sql server or state server. Any workarounds to capture Session_OnEnd if the session is maintained in state server or sql server? Thanks in advance. I solved in the following way.The approach is in check for the new / existing session on each request at global.asax.Here is the simple work around private void Application_PreRequestHandlerExecute(Object sender, EventArgs e){        if (Context.Session != null)     &n...

Session_End Event in global.asax is not exeuting when the session state mode is state server or sql server
Hi, The code written in global.asax file Session_End()  Method is not executing when the session state mode is state Server Or sqlserver. can any body please suggest me how can i trap the seesion_end Event when the mode is state server.            You cannot.  Only when your session state is set to InProc will that event fire.  This is by design. The other 2 modes represent out of process (and possibly off-box) services that do not have the ability to raise events inside of your app.  Mike Banavige~~~~~~~~~~~~Need a site code s...

How to extract session data from MSSQL using "Sql Server" session state mode
I have confronted with some difficulties: I have a task to extract logged user session data from database to collect statistic information from SPPS 2003 (Sharepoint Portal Server) for analyzing purposes.Information I need looks ordinary enough: username, datetimes of user log in and log out, etc..After digging hundreds of articles and docs, I had found out that session object is serialized into database record. It is ok, but I found no decription about where this data can be stored or how can I have access to it.What can I do with it or what should I read for achieving my object? Thanx...

The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increas
Hi.. I am making a mobile application using .net framework 2.0. My Application has  web farm scenario so for state management  I am using Sateserver in my application. My application runs fine if I dont use web farm scenario But in case of web farm scenario it is giving me error "The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit."   &...

"The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increa
Hi.. I am making a mobile application using .net framework 2.0. My Application has web farm scenario so for state management I am using Sateserver in my application. My application runs fine if I dont use web farm scenario But in case of web farm scenario it is giving me error "The page requires session state that is no longer available. Either the session has expired, the client did not send a valid session cookie, or the session state history size is too small. Try increasing the history size or session expiry limit." I am not getting why this error is coming ..Though I already h...

Web resources about - Unable to use session state server....requires session state server version 2.0 or above. - asp.net.installation-setup

Successful Facebook Marketing Requires A Community
For years, social marketing was largely spurred by brands. But now, a company can’t just push a message on Facebook and expect its fans to buy ...

New Facebook guidelines require news and video apps to wait at least 10 seconds before publishing user ...
Facebook has updated its Open Graph publishing guidelines to require social news and video apps to wait at least 10 seconds before posting “read” ...

Idea of the Day: Shutdown Requires PIN
... Sasser: When my phone was stolen in SF last year, they immediately powered it down to stop Find My iPhone. Settings idea: “Shutdown Requires ...

Scripting News: Should feeds require HTTPS?
I said no, feeds should not require using HTTPS, and got an email from a developer friend asking me to explain, which I am happy to do. If you ...

Solving problems sometimes requires work.
Solving problems sometimes requires work Biz Stone said something very clearly and concisely that defines the way tech is funded these days. ...

Does CQRS Require a Service Bus?
Answer (1 of 3): In essence CQRS just separates commands from queries, so you don’t even need different storages or a service bus. This follows ...

Is It OK to Require JavaScript?
Here’s one decision we’re pondering as we build stackoverflow, and I’d like to get your feedback on it: Is it OK to require JavaScript to participate? ...

Russia Bans Gay Recruiting of Kids, USA requires it - PIJN News 0091 - Dr. Chaps Klingenschmitt - YouTube ...
Get free e-alerts at http://PrayInJesusName.org/subscribe 1. Russia bans giving homosexual propaganda to children, but America requires it 2. ...

Bounced cheque issue in the UAE requires more attention
Banks in the UAE should stop using post-dated cheques as a way of securing personal loans