Running .net 1.1 and 2.0 beta 2 on the same server

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum for this topic - I did some searches and didn't find an answer to my question.

I've got a windows 2003/IIS 6.0 box here at work.  Previously, we were running .net 1.1 and .net 2.0 Beta 1 web applications on it side by side.  No problems.  I upgraded to beta 2 (going with the "go live" license), and followed the instructions at the MSDN Lab site - I removed the old version of the framework before installing.

When beta 2 was installed, everything 1.1 stopped working.  Any .aspx page returned a "
Server Application Unavailable" message.

Now, previously all of the 2.0 sites were running in separate application pools (note, my old boss is the one who configured this, but he's gone now), and all of the 1.1 sutff was in one big application pool.  That has not changed - though I experienced trouble getting new stuff to run in a separate app pool (and possibly screwed that up) - I think I properly fixed that (but who knows - I do not come from a networking background please understand).

It was weird.  All week, stuff would work for a littlewhile and then produce that SAU page.  Well, friday, just fooling around, I used Dennis Bauer's version switcher APP and made everything a 2.0 application.  and everything worked all friday, from late morning until quitting time.  I don't know why - I wasn't crazy about the solution and never intended to stick with it.  But I had a 1.1 web app to show a client.

Now, nothing is working again.  I've returned everything to it's proper 1.1 vs 2.0 state.
However, nothing is working.  And before, where you could at least access basic html pages on various sites, now you can't.

So, time to reinstall .net beta 2?  Did I err somehow in removing the beta 1 framework?  did I err in installing the 2.0 beta 2 framework?  I should note that nowhere in the IIS manager can I see a ".net" tab in any properties screen.  That's odd, as I know I've seen one before.

0
grandypeace

Running server controls compiled for .NET 1.1 in .NET 2.0
Hello, I have tried upgrading our ASP.NET 1.1 application to .NET 2.0 by using Web Application Projects, and it works beautifully. We use several 3rd party controls that we bought for use in .NET 1.1 and these seem to just work in .NET 2.0, except that I get an intermittent problem with one of them. Should DLLs compiled using .NET 1.1 simply work, except if they access classes that have been removed from the framework in .NET 2.0? If I have both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 present on the machine and the ASP.NET application is configured to run using .NET 2.0 and I have a DLL compiled using .NE...

Help! Running .net 1.1 website on server with .net 2.0
Hi All,I have problems with running my .net version 1.1 website on a server that has .net version 2.0. Also my database is in sql server 2003 and on the server it is sql server 2005. The error that I am getting is: "unhandled exception..." and "invalid connection..."Please help! Kindly let me know if I have to modify my web.config file or other changes. (The website is working properly on my current server with sql server 2003 and .net framework version 1.1. ) Will let you know more details if required. Regards and thanks.  Hi, did you migrate your application to that server? If...

Running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 apps on same server. Problem???
I have .NET 1.1 running on remote (dedicated) server.  I have just installed Net 2.0 and created a Hello-World App to test it.  It worked fine yesterday, but today when I try it again I get "Server Application Unavailable" My 1.1 web apps seem to be running ok.  The following message was in the event log.  "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process. Please use the IIS Administration Tool to reconfigure your server to run the application in a separate process"Can someone please advise me how to run 1.1 and 2.0 web apps on the sam...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ? #2
Hi, After you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." Please check My Article on this issue and the resolution for the same. Comments are welcome. Thanks. regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

DLL does not run on .Net 2.0 but runs on .Net 1.1
We have a DLL that was written in .Net 1.1. The DLL was not developed by us and therefore we do not have the source code to modify it. Based on my investigations, the DLL seems to be inheriting from the ‘system.web.ui.pair’ class. Unfortunately, this class is now sealed in .Net 2.0 and it therefore can not be used in inheritance. Does anybody have an idea on how we can make this DLL work in .Net 2.0?  Any walk arounds? Thanks Try to use Reflection to know the stucture of DLL. ThanksGirijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/...

.NET v1.1 SP1 and .NET 2.0 beta 2
Hi all I want to install VWD and .NET 2.0 beta 2 on the same machine that I am using Delphi.NET and .NET v1.1 SP1. I am considering jumping from Delphi to C# and this is an ideal way to do it. I do however have too many web applications on the v1.1 framework that are published on servers that do not support 2.0 as yet. Can these 2 versions of the framework co-exist so I can carry on in Delphi with existing sites but start new ones in VWD? I did take the chance on one of my machines and both VWD and Delphi seem to compile their respective web apps okay. I have not tested deplo...

Run application (with Framework .net 1.1) in Framework .net 2.0
Dear All Is it possible to make the application built in Framework .net 1.1 to run in Framework .net 2.0 or to install it in Framework .net 2.0 without modifying its codes? I was told that it will not be compatible, but I tried to run it in .net 2.0 and it can be run successfully. But I have not fully tested it. But if I open it in VS2005, it will give me a lot of errors and warning. So I wonder can I just run it in .net 2.0 without touching its code. By the way, I found that there are v1.0.3705 and v2.0.50727 in my C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework. I have already uninstall ...

Can we deploy a .net 1.1 app to a .net 2.0 server?
Hi, We have been hosting an app on a server that has ASP and ASP.net 1.1 support.  We are now moving to an ISP that has ASP, ASP.net 1.1 and ASP.Net 2.0 plans.  We will soon migrate the development environment to VS 2005.  However, today we use VS 2003.  My question is can we initially deply to a server that has .net 2.0 support?  Are the 2.0 libs fully backward compatible? jerry    You can deploy a 1.1 app to a server runnuing both 1.1 and 2.0 by setting the framework version for the application on the server.  You can deploy many (bu...

HELP Running a web-site with .NET 2.0 and NET 1.1
Hi evreybody,  I have a HUGE problem. I running a website that I have just created with ASP .NET 2.0 technology, well within my web site there is an web application that needs to run under V1.1. I'm using IIS 6.0 and I was wondering to see if anybody can help me run my new site, and run that web app at the same time. Basically is two sites within one web directory, the way you acces both sites is by the same link, just one is ROOT/default aspx (V2.0) and the other is Root/webapp/default.aspx (v1.1) can anybody help me... :( THANK you you will have to define them as two separate w...

.net 2.0 to .net 1.1
Hello , This is shrirang. Currently i am working .net2.0 web application. but the same application is runing on production in .net 1.1 freamwork . we are not using any new feature of 2.0 in our application . can i run build of 2.0 on 1.1 freamwork . if yes can you  please tell me necessary steps to achive it .     Thanks in advance for your kind help     Regards Shrirang i think it is not possible to run the 2.0 application in 1.1 , so try to change to the frame work in the production server . ThanksRaja Ragothaman Hi Shrirang, Please contact web adm...

having .net 1.1 and .net 2.0
Was just wondering if you someone could tell me the ramifications of the following:  I have .net 2.0 but did not uninstally .net 1.1, i have visual studio 2003, and visual web developer installed on the computer as well as sql server 2000.  my question is whether that is a problem having the two runtimes installed at the same time?  i did this because i wanted to use VWD but keep vs 2003 in case i needed to do any development for work....any comments are appreciated.  --jpIf my post is helpful please mark as answerRegards -- jp(http://www.rzrsolutions.com/rzrWeb20/...

Bits of a .NET 1 web app crash on a server running both .NET 1 and 2
We have a a win2003 server with running mostly .NET 2 web applications but one .NET 1 project. We quickly realised after initial upload of the .NET 1 application that the two versions of .NET would have to run in separate application pools. So I set one up called DOTNET1, assigned my app to it and everything seemed to run swimmingly.  Then yesterday a client rang up to say that a single page of the site wasn't working, although the rest seemed fine when I checked. Then today they rang up again and said a different page wasn't working. Both times it showed me an page sugges...

Help
I just installed Visual Web Developer 2005 Express. As part of the process, it installes .Net 2.0 beta 1. I have some other example projects I was playing with that use Web Matrix, .Net 1.1 and J# Runtime 1.1. It no longer works and I get an error when running my web services: Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: The codedom provider t...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ?
Help! Oh man, Im confused now... I didn't realize that the .net framework 2.0 wouldn't work through VS 2003... when I installed it, it killed my ability to debug on my local server.  Went to IIS, changed my folder properties to .net 2.0, still didnt' work... (which is when I looked here for info and realized that I can't use the 2.0 framework until I get a copy of VS 2005) So... I uninstalled .net framework 2.0 and went back to IIS and changed the ASPNET folder properties back to framework 1.1 and STILL I can't debug... I tried the "start without debugging" option and my webserver say...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ?
..NET Framework 2.0 (CodeName: Whidbey) is the buzz word around and most of us would have installed the BETA versions to try our hands. However, after you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." This Article provides the solution for the same. Thanks.regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ?
NET Framework 2.0 (CodeName: Whidbey) is the buzz word around and most of us would have installed the BETA versions to try our hands. However, after you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." This Article explains the scenario and provides the solution for the same. Hope it helps.regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

Problem running 1.1 .net application 2.0 server
When our development server failed(1.1) the IT dept built a new one with Windows Server Standard R2 and ver 2.0 of the .net framework.  After deploying our application, which was running fine on the previous Windows Enterprise Edition server, to the development server we receive a 404 page not found error.   I've selected 1.1 under the ASP.net tab of the web sites properties.  I've verified ASP.net is installed and running.  Under Web Service extensions ASP.NET 1.1 and Active Server Pages are both allowed.  There must be something I'm missing...

.Net framework 1.1 and 2.0 beta 1 conflict
I'm currently developing web applicationd using .Net framework 1.1 and I would like to start evaluating the new Visual Studio 2005 with version 2.0. However, I would like to know if I can still use my version 1.1 to continue the development of my web apps and have version 2.0 installed on my machine. I have tried previously and Visual Studio .NET 2003 was referencing to the new framework version and I supposed IIS would have done the same. I had to removed version 2.0 but I'm still curious on trying out Visual Studio 2005. Does anybody have an answer to use both versions on ...

Can .Net 2.0 Beta run on IIS 5.1? #2
Dear All,I used to have .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 Beta 1 installed on the same machine, at that time, in the IIS management console, I can pick an website to run on either .NET 1.1 or .NET 2.0, but I found out I do not have this option after I installed .NET 2.0 Beta 2, is it because of .NET 2.0 Beta 2 cannot run on IIS 5.1? Any clue will be greatly appreciated!Thank youChin ASP.NET Beta 2 can run on Windows XP.  My guess is you didn't uninstall Beta 1 properly before installing Beta 2, and that's the problem.  I'd uninstall Beta 2, then check out this guide to uninstall Beta 1 prope...

Web resources about - Running .net 1.1 and 2.0 beta 2 on the same server - asp.net.installation-setup

Running - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the type of locomotion in humans. For running in horses, see Horse gait . For locomotion in dogs, see Gait (dog) . For ...

Eddie Obeid was 'not involved' in running Circular Quay businesses, Supreme Court hears
The Obeid family home in Hunters Hill may have been used as security to buy two waterfront cafe leases at Circular Quay but patriarch Eddie Obeid ...

Neel Kashkari Feeling The Bern On First Day Running Minneapolis Fed
It's a bad scene at the Goldman Sachs alumni club.

Time's Running Out for Ad Age Digital Conference Early-Bird Registration
How are the best brands and smartest marketers coping with the seismic, digitally-driven changes rocking advertising? How are industry innovators ...

Running for their lives: Mexico's teenage Raramuri
... - and the protege he hopes will make it. Chihuahua, Mexico - Athletics coach Carlos Ortega saw only fleeting glimpses of the "floating running ...

Running a static website with Hugo on Google Cloud Storage
... to be able to deploy the static files generated by Hugo to GCS using Jenkins. So I followed these steps on the Jenkins server as the user running ...

The ‘You Lie’ Debate: Republicans Running Out of Time to Stop Trump in South Carolina
A Republican slugfest in South Carolina Saturday night pitted Marco Rubio against Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush against John Kasich and Donald Trump against ...

Poll: Hillary Clinton Running Far Behind 2008 Numbers in Nevada
Poll: Hillary Clinton Running Far Behind 2008 Numbers in Nevada

Mind Spiders go "Running" with new single (listen), playing Dirtnap Records SXSW showcase w/ Radioactivity ...
... TX's Mind Spiders are set to release their new album Prothesis on March 12 via Dirtnap and they've just dropped a new track from it, "Running." ...

We're running out of prescription drugs — and the consequences could be 'disastrous'
The drugs you need to treat your asthma or migraines could be at risk of running out or being swapped for another medication. That's because ...