Page not found using ASP.NET Development server

Hi to all forum members

I got this problem. When I try to run a test project I receive "Page not found" in browser opened by ASP.NET Development server. I am logged as administrator to my WIN XP. And I am using VS2005. I had VWD and ASP.NET 2.0 before but  removed everything before installing VS2005. Do you hav eany idea why is this happening.

p.s. I do not use any firewall only nod32 as antivirus program

I will be very glad is someone can help me.

0
jasen78

Try stopping your AV software.  Most common issue is blocking ports that the development web server might use.

Jeff

jeff
5/5/2006 12:17:31 PM
I turned ogg my AV program and (nod 32) again no result. When I try to run any page no matter how simple it is the development server starts and afte ra long time (some minutes) show no page found. Only one tme the page showed correctly. It has only onelabel on it no more complicated elements. I am using VPN to get Internet but after I turned it off again no change :(
0
jasen78
5/9/2006 12:44:38 PM

Any event log entries?

Jeff

jeff
5/9/2006 5:18:19 PM
No event log at my disposal righ tnow. But I will take a look when I have access to my PC at home later today. Could the problem be in PC hardware cause I am using one old machine: Duron 650Mhz, 3MB20 SDRAM 100Mhz, 15Gb HDD. Is this enough to run VS 2005. Actually yesterday I manage to get the page run one time after message "Page not found" in web browser I refreshed IE and got  page correctly displayed and after that everything ruined again :( I think that something is impeding VS2005 work but now sure what.
0
jasen78
5/10/2006 7:36:05 AM

That's a minimal configuration for Visual Studio, so you may be having hardware issues.

Jeff

jeff
5/10/2006 6:07:53 PM

An update to my problem. I reinstalled Windows XP SP2 and VS 2005 and still cannot open any test page using web dev server. The most strange thing is that when I select site ASP.NET configuration in VS 2005 menu it opens new IE and new instance of  WebDev server and everything is OK. So only my test page does not open :( or to be more precise not everytime. Yesterday I succeeded to open the test page after refreshing IE content (F5) but only one time. So what do you think the problem might be?

P.S. Where can I see error log file for my test application. No log file found. Only in VS 2005 in "server" tab not sure about name I saw some logging for all sort of things - system, apache, and so on.

0
jasen78
6/20/2006 8:39:05 AM

Did you disable the firwall?  Did you use a Hello World app?

Jeff

jeff
6/20/2006 10:54:40 AM
No firewall activated. and I only put one label on the page. I think this is  simple enough for a test application.
0
jasen78
6/20/2006 11:34:34 AM
jeff@zina.com:

Did you disable the firwall?  Did you use a Hello World app?

Jeff

So does someone has decision for my problem ? I do not have any ideas what more can I do to make this VS 2005 to work :(

0
jasen78
6/23/2006 9:09:22 AM

No decisions, just suggestions.  Post in the VS forums, there may be more help.  Beyond that I'm still leaning to a hardware issue.  Check the event logs for anything.  Check drive space, RAM, etc.

Jeff

jeff
6/23/2006 10:41:30 AM

i had the same problem and here is its fix,

as u have Eset nod32 antivirus v3.0.621 (same as me) , the problem is from this AV that dont allow connections to be made to Visual Studio ASP.NET Server .

now follow these steps to solve this issue:

  1. DoubleClick on Nod32 icon on tray and Open it up.
  2. if it is not in "Advanced Mode" , switch to Advanced Mode. ( you can do it by clicking on the bottom-left link "Display:Standard Mode" and then click on "Toggle Advanced Mode" )
  3. then goto SETUP section. then on the Right Pane click on "Antivirus and Antispyware protection". the panel should be opened.
  4. now in the "Web Access protection" click on "Configure..."
  5. from the left Tree go to path : "Web access protection > HTTP > Web Browsers"
  6. now you should see visual studio 8 "devenv.exe" in the list .
  7. click on it twice till you see a cross sign in the box. ( Note on CROSS sign , not mark sign ! )
  8. with this cross sign you tell the Nod32 that this program should not be scanned and filtered for web access.

due to this steps , my problem solved and now i can access my page from localhost:<portNumber> .

0
EasternBoy
1/15/2008 7:29:53 PM

Thanks a lot, your solution resolve all my problems.!!!Stick out tongue

0
BrunoT
1/28/2008 4:40:40 PM

Thank you for this resolution. After having to restore my computer multiple times to an earlier point, I was finally able to isolate the NOD32 3.0 "upgrade" as a likely culprit. Microsoft wanted me to pay them over $250 for help with this issue! Do you think we can bill ESET for lost productivity time?

0
SirPaladin1969
2/14/2008 11:50:51 PM

Thanks guys for the valuable info.  It almost worked for me, too :)  You certainly helped me along the right direction (whew!)  I had to take it a little further when using ESET's Smart Security (3.0.6210.0).

In addition to the settings above with the Web browsers, I had to go to Personal Firewall, Protocol filtering, and select "HTTP and POP3 ports" instead of the other two options.  Now it works for me.

0
chugmonkey
2/16/2008 1:51:13 AM

Tried all possible combinations of the settings described above but neither worked.
The version I have is Antivirus 3.0.642.0.

Last solution: Uninstall and install the cd version which is older.

I hope in ESET, be more careful and do a thorough test before posting software with bugs.

<!-- famous -->
0
famous
3/6/2008 12:30:04 PM

I have the same NOD32 version (3.0.642.0) + VS2008 VWD and I found a temporary workaround (it's not safe):

  1. DoubleClick on Nod32 icon on tray.
  2. Go to Setup - Antivirus and antispyware protection
  3. In the Web access protection click on "Configure..."
  4. From the left Tree go to path : "Web access protection > HTTP > Web Browsers"
  5. Clean the checkbox belonging to your browser (Internet Explorer, perhaps)
  6. Stop ASP.NET Development server if running, restart browser

WARNING: This switches off protection of browser when surfing on web!!! Use it only temporarily during development.

Koupil jsem si francovku, dal jsem za ni 30 korun.
0
dkl
3/20/2008 3:52:47 PM

 Thank You very much!!

Sorry, my English is bad. I can read, but i can't write good ;)
0
AlexeySpirin
7/22/2008 2:16:28 PM

Thank you, it solved my problem!
EasternBoy:

[...]

/* Regards CatZ */
0
CatZ
8/27/2008 4:16:27 PM

The above solution didn't resolve this issue for me, but another solution I found here did work:

http://insomniacgeek.com/blog/using-asp-net-development-server-with-nod32/

0
madscene
10/16/2008 9:36:11 PM

Last Option worked for me !!!

Thanks guys for the valuable info.  It almost worked for me, too :)  You certainly helped me along the right direction (whew!)  I had to take it a little further when using ESET's Smart Security (3.0.6210.0).

In addition to the settings above with the Web browsers, I had to go to Personal Firewall, Protocol filtering, and select "HTTP and POP3 ports" instead of the other two options.  Now it works for me.

Thanx Pal.

YesYesYes

Pk
0
pashaKasim
10/25/2008 5:19:58 PM

I have the same problem and solved by using the fix posted by 'EasternBoy'.

Thank you.

0
AGhazal
2/8/2009 12:20:58 PM

Thanks a lot this has resolved my problem as well and saved me lots of time. I was facing this issue for last 5-6 days and it was troubling me.

Looking to check the time, goto http://whatisthetime.in/[xxx] replace [xxx] with your city name.
0
schadha
2/8/2009 6:56:43 PM

Thank U EasternBoy

But I used ESSET Antivirus 4.0 Business Edition So Ur Trick Will Work in ESSET 4.0  But We Have To Select 1 More Option That U Can See The Image  Esset Antivirus 4.0

So U Have Select HTTP And POp3 Ports Default Checked is The Third Option Ports And Applications Etc.

I Solved My Problem Using This Technique. Thanks Eastern Boy For Showing The Way. Thanks Man U Rock

0
rickjackson
3/14/2009 4:08:42 PM

EasternBoy:

[...]

I am having the same problem, have Vista and as antivirus Avira AntiVir Personal.

 What can i do? thx!

0
JuanDiego
4/19/2009 1:20:59 PM
JuanDiego:

I am having the same problem, have Vista and as antivirus Avira AntiVir Personal.

 What can i do? thx!

Have a look here - Arien fixed my problem:

My solution was removing the next line in the windows host file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

::1 localhost

This is an IpV6 entry. Put a # in front of it.

0
CRidge

Cross-Platform .NET Development: Using Mono, Portable.NET, and Microsoft .NET
Interesting book I came across: Cross-Platform .NET Development $49.99 doesn't hurt too much either :) NOTE: Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. It's being released on September 30th, 2004 - one to keep an eye on...www.codingmayhem.com - VB.NET, C#, Silverlight, Javascript, HTML, CSS, T-SQL, MySQL and SQLitewww.headshotgamer.com - Gaming News and Reviews How about this book from Oreilly? Mono: A Developer's Notebook http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/monoadn/...

Using Dot Net Nuke to maintain a site developed in VS.NET using C#
Hi,Does anyone know if there is a way to create a site using C# and Visual Studio.NET 2003, but then use Dot Net Nuke to allow non-technical users to add content to the site.  The current state of the site must be accessible in both VS.NET and DNN regardless of which application saved it last.  Also preferably I would like the language used to remain C# even when edited by the marketing staff, so that I can still maintain it myself using VS.NET.  Hope you understand what I mean. If this is not possible, I wonder if anyone knows what solution I am after.   Thanks in adv...

Installing PortalVBVS into VS.net on .NET Server 2003
I've been trying all day to get the VB version installed, without success. I need help with two things - getting it configured in VS.Net, and getting the web.config connection string right. I've run the installer and have the files on c:\PortalVBVS. I've created a virtual web called "PortalVB" which points at c:\PortalVBVS\PortalVBVS. When I browse with IIS Manager I see the subdirectories as I should. I've created a database called Portal on MSDE running on the same server, and populated it by running the Portaldb.sql script. I see tables and columns, and I can retriev...

Server Side Includes (SSI) using VS.NET 2005 Built-In Development Web Server
Background Information:  I am developing an ASP.NET application using VS.NET 2005 and the built in development web server without having IIS installed on my development machine.  I cannot install IIS on my development machine due to company policy.  For the production environment, the application will be running in Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6.0.  There are a set of components that my company uses that I must use within the application.  The components, when installed on the server, exist under IIS at the same level/directory (<MachineName>\Web Sites\Def...

Creating .Net custom server controls and .Net pages programatically
Thanks a lot for reading this and greatly appreciate your inputs I am writing a webinterface that lets users configure options that'll create an interface for them and generete the webpage. So I am having to programattically create custom server controls and .Net page with code behind to support the functionality. Are there APIs in the .NET SDK that let you do this. Any pointers would be greatly helpful Thanks a lot Sathya Controls on the fly? Or Create code on the fly? I think it is the latter so here we go - look at the following namespaces: * System.Reflection.Emit - gen...

ODP.NET
I installed ODP.NEt 2.0 on top of my Oracle client 10g. I am developing a Data Access component. I am having the below problem.  I created the Data Layer class. The constructor of the data layer class initiates a new Oracle Connection.  then I assign the Oracle Transaction obbject to the open connection. In my web page, I instantiate the DataLayer class and then call BeginTransaction method.  At this point, my connection object is null.  What am I missing?  I am getting Externalcontext connection error and Internalcontext error with the error message "Specified slot...

Can I install and use my VS.NET 2002 MSDN Help in VS.NET 2003?
Hi! I would like to know if I could install MSDN help from VS.NET 2002 (Architect) for VS.NET 2003 (Architect). Thanks! :)...

HOW TO: Setup VS.NET for Development and Debug in remote under MPS server
Do you have any idea, how to install and configure an web application who is working with MPS server?Thanks,...

install .net framework on the client machine using aspx page
i have developed new web application using asp.net and c#.in this application there is one page called "showdetails.aspx" page in this page i hosted windows user control using <object> tag...now everything is working perfect on my development machine.. now what i want is when i hosted this site on the server..it requires .net framework(Dotnetfx.exe ) on the client machine... my client don't know how to install .net frame work on his machine manuvally...so i want to install .net framework on my client machine when he browse the application..i can check whether my client is .net framew...

4.9 Client on Server.Net installation using TS
I want to install the 4.9 client on Server.Net to leverage using ZEN 4 and terminal services. I believe that the 4.9 needs to be installed BEFORE installing terminal services similiar to the process of using Citrix metaFrame XP in a NetWare environment Any siggestions and/or recommendation regarding the process? Thanks. Mark Mark, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following opti...

Web resources about - Page not found using ASP.NET Development server - asp.net.installation-setup

United States Department of Housing and Urban Development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Robert C. Weaver Federal Building , 451 7th Street SW , Washington, D.C. 38°53′2.17″N 77°1′21.03″W  /  38.8839361°N 77.0225083°W  / 38.8839361; ...

Flemington apartment development plan has serious issues: state architect
Plans for a sprawling high-rise apartment development on land at Flemington Racecourse &ndash; put forward by the Victoria Racing Club and a ...

Software Development Conferences Forecast December 2015
Here is a list of software development related conferences and events on Agile project management ( Scrum, Lean, Kanban), software testing and ...

Watch 10 years of Toro Rosso F1 development in 60 seconds
Filed under: Motorsports , Videos Scuderia Toro Rosso released this fascinating video showing the evolution of its F1 cars over the past ten ...

Yahoo putting huge Santa Clara development site up for sale - Silicon Valley Business Journal
Amid turmoil at the once-mighty Internet giant, Yahoo is putting the word out that it will part with a valuable parcel of land in Santa Clara ...

Kobe Bryant praises Jae Crowder’s development with the Boston Celtics
Jae Crowder’s progression from spare part in Dallas to key player in Boston hasn’t gone unnoticed by Kobe Bryant

Here's a fun behind-the-scenes look at Perfect Dark's development
I haven't played Perfect Dark since it released over fifteen years ago, so I hold it in my memory as some mythical, flawless creation. I thought ...

Foxconn injects additional funds into overseas subsidiary for robot development
Foxconn Electronics will inject an additional capital of US$120 million into its subsidiary Icreate Investment in the Cayman Islands, according ...

India's nuclear deal with Russia is a good development, but nowhere near enough
Narendra Modi's visit to Russia yielded 16 agreements ranging from defence, energy, space cooperation, manufacturing, and education. Of particular ...