Installing .NET Framework, Sql Server 2005 Express, and Visual Studio 2005 Professional

Will someone please offer some advice, a walkthrough, or something to help me through this?  I installed all three of these pieces (.NET, SQL Server 2005 Express, and VS 2005 Professional) onto a WinXP box.  I was unable to get it to work.  It kept throwing SQL errors when I tried to run the security setup for the Personal Website Starter Kit.  So, I uninstalled everything except .NET and reinstalled.  At this point I was able to get to the setup, but unable to add users.  It doesn't throw errors or anything, it just doesn't do anything.

I really really want to learn C# using VS.  I want to program a basic program that hits a SQL DB, but I have never had so many troubles setting up something like this.  Can someone offer me any advice?  Is there a special way to load this stuff on an XP machine?  Do I have to load it in a certain order?  Am I missing a piece?  (I have loaded IIS just so you know....  Maybe not correctly, but I loaded it...  But would that affect the ability of the Starter Page connecting to the DB when they are on the same machine?)   Is there an easier installation like those packages you can get that have PHP, Apache, MySQL and just install themselves together?  That would be nice for us beginners.

Honestly, any advice that you could offer to help me get started could greatly benefit me.

Thank you everyone,

Jason

0
jcase16
5/25/2006 12:30:09 PM
📁 asp.net.installation-setup
📃 5668 articles.
⭐ 1 followers.

💬 1 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1149 Views

There is a forum for the starter kit, where you may find more help.  Also, "kept throwing SQL errors" and "unable to add users" really aren't solvable problems.  You have to provide details to get a good response, for all we know you're not using the corretc process to add a user.  It could be you're not even running in the development environment and you're trying to sue the admin tool on a remote system, which doesn't work.

Jeff

jeff