Can dll's compiled on a .Net machine be compiled in such a way that they will still run on a .Net 1.1 machine?

I know that this is probably an annoying question but I don't want to upgrade my system and not be able to get dll's that I create with .NET 2.0 to work with one of my service providers because they are still running .NET 1.1, but here goes:  if I install .NET 2.0 is there some sort of switch command that I can run when compiling dll's using vbc or cbc that will make sure the created dll will work on a system running .NET 1.1?

Sorry for asking a question that I am sure you have been asked 100 times, but I just need to be sure that I can upgrade to .Net 2 without any problems.

gp_330

Running server controls compiled for .NET 1.1 in .NET 2.0
Hello, I have tried upgrading our ASP.NET 1.1 application to .NET 2.0 by using Web Application Projects, and it works beautifully. We use several 3rd party controls that we bought for use in .NET 1.1 and these seem to just work in .NET 2.0, except that I get an intermittent problem with one of them. Should DLLs compiled using .NET 1.1 simply work, except if they access classes that have been removed from the framework in .NET 2.0? If I have both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 present on the machine and the ASP.NET application is configured to run using .NET 2.0 and I have a DLL compiled using .NE...

DLL does not run on .Net 2.0 but runs on .Net 1.1
We have a DLL that was written in .Net 1.1. The DLL was not developed by us and therefore we do not have the source code to modify it. Based on my investigations, the DLL seems to be inheriting from the ‘system.web.ui.pair’ class. Unfortunately, this class is now sealed in .Net 2.0 and it therefore can not be used in inheritance. Does anybody have an idea on how we can make this DLL work in .Net 2.0?  Any walk arounds? Thanks Try to use Reflection to know the stucture of DLL. ThanksGirijeshhttp://www.girijesh.in/...

.DLL compiled with .NET 1.1 to be used in Web app done in .NET 2.0
Hi all,If I have a bunch of business objects that where compiled in .NET version 1.1, would it be possible for my ASP.NET (done in .NET 2.0) application to pick up these objects (.dll file) and start to use them?(Would be great if some-one could provide some form of documentation on this)ThanksTryst Hi Tryst, This should work fine.  In general, you can use V1.1 assemblies with V2.0 applications.  The reverse, though, is not true. Hope this helps, Scott ok, cool.ThanksTryst Comparative study on VS .Net 2003 and VS.Net 2005 .Net Framework versions used are ver...

.NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 on the same machine
Hi All, I have .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 framework on my machine.  Now, I want to uninstall .NET 1.1 to have more free HD space.  Please tell if I can do it without any trouble for the .NET 2.0? Thank you very much.  Pardon me for a newbie question.  elearner Start > Control Panel > Add remove programs > remove .NET Framework 1.1! Im sure its not taking up that much space tho!? :PDavid Kiffhttp://DavidKiff.co.uk-- "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you -- Hi, Well I don't think it should cause any problem because of them are installed in seper...

Can we run a .NET v1.1 application on a machine w/ .NET 2.0 framework?
Hi, We have a pretty sizeable ASP.NET application that we use to run the company. It's written in .net v1.1 and it's currently hosted by a Windows 2000 Server w/ .net framework v1.1. We are now upgrading our network, servers, etc. We will move the app to a Windows 2003 machine w/ .net framework v2.0. Should we expect any problems?Thanks,Sam The Framework versions will install side-by-side instead of one overwriting the other, so you should have no problems.   NC...   I believe that there will be an asp.net tab in the properties of an IIS application where you can pic...

Installing .NET 2 causes 'server application anunavailable' on existing .NET 1.1 site
Hi!I have a computer running an ASP.NET 1.1 web site. After installing .net framework 2.0 on the same server I got a 'server application anunavailable' on the ASP1.1 web site. I set the Security settings to 'Everyone' and I temporarily solved the problem.What should I do?Dimitris PapadimitriouSoftware Development Professional If you are running on Windows 2003, they you need to make sure that your V1.1 and V2.0 applications are running in a separate application pool/process.  Otherwise, you will get a load error when the second CLR gets loaded into the same process. Try going into th...

Host Running .net 1.1 and I'm using 2.0 on development machine....
Hi, I'm getting the following error when I want to run my page on my hosts machine. I have ASP.NET 2.0 on my development machine with Visual web developer 2005 express edition. Please Help Thanks Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Unrecogn...

Can't create vs.net project (server not runing.NET 1.1)
I am trying to start an asp.NET application project in my vs.net and I'm getting error after error.. I fix one, and the next one shows up.. == ERROR: == Server not running asp.net v1.1 I found an update to 1.1 on Microsofts site and installed it, restarted and I'm still getting this error. What is an easy way to find out the version of asp.Net that I'm currently running? == OTHER SUSPECTED PROBLEM: == When I request //localhost from IE, I get: No web site is configured at this address. But I am currently running a sebserver and my webpage works fine, but the only way...

Utilize .NET 2 [.net 1.1 installed]
Hi, My PC running Win XP (SP2), .Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 and VS 2003. I am beginner in ASP.Net. When I try to used a ASP.Net 2 property with a control, shows me error and I also noticed .net framework ver. at the botton of broswer window. What should I do to utilize .net framework 2.0 functionality? Thanks First, you'll need Visual Web Developer or Visual Studio 2005 to create .NET 2.0 sites. In order to deploy a .NET 2.0 site, you'll need to set the .NET Framework version to 2.0 on the ASP.NET tab for the sites properties in IIS. HTH,RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NET...

VS.net says .net 1.1 not installed
This is really driving me nuts!! I installed VS.net, installed IIS 5, then installed (supposedly) .net framework 1.1 Heres the rub. I try to create a new web app in vs and all I get are messages telling me that the server does not have .net 1.1 installed. I re-installed the .net framework 1.1 and tried again. Still nothing. I am running the server on the same machine that I am working with VS.net for now. I have looked around the Internet and have followed several tutorials and quick fixes that did not work at all. I have tried restarting the server. I have tried renameing w...

Web resources about - Can dll's compiled on a .Net machine be compiled in such a way that they will still run on a .Net 1.1 machine? - asp.net.installation-setup