VWD 2008 Express & SQL Server 2008 Express & Hosting Options

Hey all, go easy on me, this is my first post Stick out tongue

On my development PC, I am using Visual Web Developer 2008 Express (the free one) along with SQL Server 2008 Express (the free one).  I am building a small scale database application (1 database) and would like to host this on the internet so that others can access it and report back on usability and bugs etc.  It doesn't need to be mega-fast at the moment.

I am unsure of what type of hosting to buy, as there are many different options available.  I guess I have the following questions :

  • Is there hosting specific to the "Express" products I am using?
  • Most hosting options I have seen involve the full blown SQL Server (either 2005 or 2008).  Would my application and database be compatible with these or would I have to convert/upscale every time I deploy?
  • In the future, my application might grow and require more than 1 database or more than a handful of users.  How easy is it to then upscale my database to the full blown counterparts?

Any help or advice you can give is much appreciated.  Thanks in advance Yes

0
infaddict
3/31/2009 10:56:20 AM
asp.net.hosting-open-forum 4216 articles. 0 followers. Follow

 First, what you create the code with doesn't matter, so forget about Visual Web Developer even being a parameter in your decision.  Second, SQL Express databases can easily be hosted in a full SQL Server environment, so anything supporting SQL Server will do.

Jeff

jeff
3/31/2009 12:45:38 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff.

Should I be bothered about choosing SQL Server 2005 or 2008 versions?  Several hosting companies appear to give you the choice.

0
infaddict
3/31/2009 1:07:13 PM

If you're using SQL Express 2008, go with a SQL Server 2008 host.

Jeff

jeff
3/31/2009 4:43:18 PM

one thing for sure here is that in case you are using SQL Express 2005, you can always choose a host that supports SQL 2005 or SQL 2008. But, if you are using SQL Express 2008, you can only choose a host with SQL 2008. You can always "upgrade" the sql version, but you cannot "downgrade" it as SQL Server is not backward compatible. Please see asphostcentral.com for your SQL 2008 hosting solution.

Hope this helps

Best of all,

Teddy Luscombe
Get Windows Sharepoint 3 Hosting with 40 FREE Templates here
0
you_rock
4/1/2009 1:48:47 AM

Hi, infaddict,

It is recommended you choose to host your application with MS SQL Server 2008, it will provide full compatibility with your current SQL 2008 Express database and also the latest features and security updates.

If you are planning to improve your appllication for the future with more users, try to look for larger MS SQL server 2008 database size allowed and maximum amount of database that the web host company provided.

Mostly, you could always talk with your web host company about the add on database and settings in case you require more database to include with your application.

Good Luck!

Cheers!

Roy Trevor

Following latest ASP hosting technologies. :)

**Please "Mark as Answer" if this post helps you. If you need more clarification, please reply to me.
0
rtccroy

VS.net 2003 & VWD express 2005 & SQL Express 2005 (RS)
i have installed sql express 2005 with reporting services, vs.net 2003 and visual web developer express 2005. How do i get the reporting services designer or create a new report ? The option 'Business Intelligent' is not in the project....

Installing MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services to work with MS VWD 2008 Express Edition
Hi, I am trying to use ASP.Net in MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. I initially had MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition on my computer before installing the MS Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition. When I try to connect to the asp membership database, I get an error message. I then uninstalled the MS SQL 2005 Express and the VWD 2008 Express. I installed MS SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools and reinstalled the VWD 2008 Express edition with SP1, but I got the same error. Now I am an absolute beginner, I am thinking that maybe I don't know what I am doing. I have uni...

"Failure to create a user instance"
 On Windows Server 2008 - I installed Visual Web Developer 2008 Express and SQL Server Express 2008 with Advanced.I ported over several Websites from a Windows 2003 Web Server.When I go into the V.W.D. Solution Explorer for a given website, I see the MDF files ported from 2003, but when I go into Database Explorer to work with the data,  I get a Package Load Failure and the database will not connect.  Instead it says, "Failure to create a user instance of SQL Server, due to a failure in starting the process for the use instance. The connection will be closed."And whe...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

Connecting VWD 2008 Express Edition to SQL Server 2008
How to I connect VWD 2008 Express Editin to SQL server 2008?   Sincerely, Computergirl Start with SqlDataSource control http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.webcontrols.sqldatasource.aspxThanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Videos are here http://www.asp.net/learn/sql-videos/ http://www.asp.net/learn/data-videos/Thanks------------------------------------------------------------This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and con...

Do Visual Studio 2008 & VWD 2008 Express Projects work together?
I'm about to set up a new dev PC for learning ASP.NET with the Express versions of SQL Server 2008 and Visual Web Developer SP1. However, i'm thinking forward to the time when i would want to purchase the licensed version of Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008 from MS. If i develop solutions and projects using VWD Express, can i continue developing these 'express' projects and solutions when i upgrade to the licensed versions of Visual Studio? The only reason i ask is because i am having a terrible conflict between my current S...

Enable Full Text Index in VWD 2008 / SQL Server Express 2008
 Hi, I am using VWD 2008 Express and SQL Server 2008 Express. I want to enable full text index in some of my table. How do I do that? I only have  SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008. As far as I know, I cannot use SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 to update the full text catalog according to : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms365247.aspxMy tables are also not enable Full Text Search by default.    Any help would be very much appreciated!  Edit 1: Someone had a similar problem to mine on this link: http://forums.asp.net/t/1169961.aspxI in...

VWD Express and SQL express 2008
I am trying to create a new project on a newly installed visual web developer express using an SQL connection. I installed VWD with all the options, including SQL express 2008. However, when I try and add the SQL component I get the following message: Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Pelease verify the installation of the component or download from the URL... Very bizarre - any assistance appreciated. Vista X64, Intel Q9300, 8GB RAM  Looks like you are not alone:http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SQL+Server+2008+files+...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008?
Please can somebody tell me whether Visual Studio 2008 includes SQL Server 2008 Express or 2005? Also does it include Visual Basic 2008 or 2005? Thank you.VWGolfman  VS2008 installs Sql Server 2005 Express by default. Also, VS2008 installs the new version of VB.Net BUT you can target older runtimes (i.e .Net 1.1, .Net 2, .Net 3) so you can argue that all VB.Net versions are "installed". Thank you Steven VWGolfman...

Help needed to connect VWD 2008 Express C# project with Host Server
I am reaching for straws at the moment.  I don't know what to do next. When I enter a password at the login prompt, I get a generic page that says the page cannot be found.  My url is http://www.Marsly.com  user is: admin  password isdfghjkl; This is the error reply at the address bar:  http://marsly.com/GenericErrorPage.htm?aspxerrorpath=/Login.aspx     Have you updated your connectionString to your remote Database. Also take a look at your applicationName in your web.config more info athttp://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2...

Web resources about - VWD 2008 Express & SQL Server 2008 Express & Hosting Options - asp.net.hosting-open-forum

The Indian Express: Latest News, Breaking News Live, Current Headlines, India News Online
Indian Express covers latest news from India, all exclusive current headlines and India news live, including latest breaking news on business, ...

Local news, sports, obituaries, classifieds and more - Tallmadge Express
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) Gov. Chris Christie, who once famously called himself "the healthiest fat...

Sussex Express
Search continues for boy swept out to sea at... The search has continued today (Monday October 28) for the 14-year-old local boy who was swept ...

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... standard support hardware I/O virtualization. The PCIe electrical interface is also used in a variety of other standards, most notably ExpressCard ...

Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin express mutual admiration - Videos - CBS News
There's a "bromance" brewing between Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Russian leader called Trump “bright and talented” ...

Express Scripts To Offer $1 Version Of Drug That Skyrocketed To $750/Pill Overnight
... of Daraprim skyrocketed to around $750/pill, resulting in angry doctors , and a Senate investigation . Today, pharmacy benefits giant Express ...

Special Operators Take Poll On Women In Combat, Express Three Particular Concerns
Special Operators Take Poll On Women In Combat, Express Three Particular Concerns

Consumers Express Interest in IoT, Concerns Over Privacy
Nearly one-third of those that browse shopping websites make an online purchase using their mobile phone, the survey found.

Martin Shkreli Questioned By Express Scripts' Chief Medical Officer
During his Q&A at the Forbes Healthcare Summit, Martin Shkreli shared an exchange with the Chief Medical Officer of Express Scripts.

Express Scripts offers low-cost alternative to $750-per-pill drug
Express Scripts offers low-cost alternative to $750-per-pill drug