Who uses Web Controls/HTML Controls?

I'm currently making the migration from ColdFusion to asp.net and I have a few questions.

1. Does anybody really use the Web/HTML Controls? CF has something similar <cfform> but I never use it because I'm a believer in separating html from application logic/control. And I like being in control of what goes on in my apps. However, I find the Web/HTML Controls interesting.
2. Is there a standard framework that people use to organize their code? I like using MVC (Model, View, Controller) to create true N-tier applications. Just wondering what others use.
3. Is anybody using Flash with their apps and how are you integrating Flash with asp.net? Flash Remoting?
TIA for any insight/feedback.
Mark
0
FifthLegion

I never use web controls since they make standards complient web design almost impossible. I want to make valid XHTML, valid CSS and Best Practice web pages when it comes to accessibility.

You could use HTML controls but I use the power of ASP.NET and C# only to pass parameters to my XSLT and to transform my XML into XHTML.
And I just love it.
Jesper
www.smackthemouse.com
0
tverskov
1/26/2004 5:50:20 PM
That was my inclination as well, but needed some expert insight on what others are doing.

Thanks for the response.
Mark
0
FifthLegion

> 1. Does anybody really use the Web/HTML Controls?
Yes. The more I use them (particularly having created my own) ... the more I appreciate the power of ASP.NET server controls. A well designed server control will not hard-code any content or styling, so that you can indeed achieve a clear separation of style, content and logic.
> 2. Is there a standard framework that people use to organize their code?
ASP.NET inherently implements a Page Controller pattern. For many sites, this is sufficient.
Microsoft's MSDN site provides an excellent overview of Enterprise Solution Patterns Using Microsoft .NET. It talks about various patterns and when they should be used, and when they should be considered overkill.
> 3. Is anybody using Flash with their apps and how are you integrating Flash with asp.net?
Yes, I use Flash in my sites. However, I use simple animations ... nothing pulling dynamic content.
Macromedia now has a Developer Centre that discusses various methods of creating dynamic Flash animations, including a dedicated ASP.NET section.

> You could use HTML controls but I use the power of ASP.NET and C# only to pass parameters to my XSLT and to transform my XML into XHTML.
I did the same thing with my first ASP.NET website, and I too loved it. However, when it came to my second website, I found very little code that could be reused. Hence, as sweet as this approach seems, it doesn't really help in the long run ...
Achieving XHTML compliance means creating your own set of server controls, or buying a set of XHTML web controls.
Alister
0
SomeNewKid
1/26/2004 7:28:53 PM
Scott Mitchell wrote an entire book about asp.net web controls so they must have some value.
0
JakeJeck
1/27/2004 1:58:07 AM
Keep in mind that a "web control" in ASP.NET is simply an object that outputs HTML in the location you place it on the page. As an object, you can assign properties and run methods to develop the actual appearance of the HTML. Plus, it provides a design mode appearance in Visual Studio.net.

While there is a complaint that Microsoft didn't develop their web controls for XHTML compliance, that doesn't mean web controls aren't XHTML compliant. It means that those developed by Microsoft and subclassed by others aren't. The XHTML control product mentioned earlier is still a group of web controls, simply not subclassed from the class System.Web.UI.WebControls.
My point is that web controls are pretty vital to ASP.NET and ignoring them would put you at a severe disadvantage because you will be writing a lot of code to get the same results for the objects already available to you.
--- Peter Blum
Creator of Peter's Data Entry Suite (formerly Professional Validation And More and Peter's Date Package) and Peter's Polling Package
www.PeterBlum.com
0
PLBlum
1/27/2004 3:36:57 AM
An additional point worth note, is that the HTML that will be generated by ASP.Net v2.0 should be fully XHTML 1.1 compliant.

Regards,
Xander

0
Xanderno
1/27/2004 3:46:15 AM
Great stuff everybody. Thank you all for your response. This will definitely get me going in the right direction.
0
FifthLegion

When to use web control and Html control
I am designing a web application in which onclick a form becomes visible containing set of text boxes and other fields. How shoud I design it. I am not able to figure out difference between web form controls and html controls. Shrinivas...

Use Web Control In a Web Control
Is this possible?I am working with an aspx page that consists of many different web controls.One of the web controls contains search criteria.  One of the criteria is a date range where I am trying to add a popup calendar --> which is another web controlCan I register the popupcaledar control on the questionaire control?  I have tried, but nothing seems to be registered.Any ideas will GREATLY help.Relax and have some Home Brew!Prosecute the Owner - Don't PERSECUTE the Breed!Breed Specific Legislation targets the WRONG end of the LEASH! Without seeing your code we can'...

Using scripts with Web Controls vs. HTML Controls
When using <SELECT> I can use the onchange event to execute some javascript code at the top of my document. However, it appears that when I use <asp:dropdownlist> and the OnSelectedIndexChanged event that I have to post back to the server to execute any code.  Is it possible to have javascript code execute on the client side when my asp:dropdownlist is changed or do I have to use a <SELECT> statement to accomplish this?...

html control and web control
Hi i am getting confused when i should use html controls and when i should use web controls. Any ideas? Cheers.I can do it! if you need any server side programability or events then user Web. If you want pure HTML then use HTML controls.... Is there anything in particular you are confused about? Here are a few things to consider:It's a tough question to answer without knowing the specifics of your application.HTML controls do not have as many features with their web server control counterparts.HTML controls could be a good idea if you were converting some existing web pages that used ...

Use Web Custom control or Web User control?
Friends,  I have a generic aspx page and its functions which is used in many .NET web application. The generic page contains a HTML Div control, server drop down list, server buttons, server textbox and it have different server and client functions to do its tasks for calling aspx pages in web applications. My problem is I do not know whether I should make that generic page as a web user control (but this is tedious because all other application folders must store frontpage aspx and code behind files of the generic page) or as a web custom control (This seems to be good beca...

I have a web user control being used by another web user control, but the one being used will not display the labels in the resx file.
I am using DotNetNuke version 3.13 (might be 3.013) on a Window's XP machine, SP2. I have what I find to be an extremely odd situation. I have a project called TDS.Controls. This project is a web control library. Each control has its own resx file, which is located in the App_LocalResources directory. Each control inherits from Framework.UserControlBase, just like DotNetNuke's User control in DNN\Controls\User.ascx.vb. As a matter of fact, this control is doing the exact same thing I am trying to do. It is a web user control with its own resx file being used by another web user control (See ...

Web control in web control

What control do I use (or do I not use a control at all...)
Okay so here's the story so far. I am making a blog to be incorporated into a website. Well, I'm doing the blog from scratch. I'm using MySQL to source all the data via MySQL .NET/Connector. Now while developing the script, I used DataReader and Response.Write to show the blog topics. Now that it has come to put it under a design (I'm using a Master Page for that), I've hit the problem. Response.Write shows all the topics before any of the design elements could be incorporated. So that (more or less) is out of question. So next I looked into the data presentation controls. I looked up GridVi...

Modifing javascript to use server controls instead of using html controls
Hi, I use a Javascript to create a textbox that converts English to Hindi text. I am using it in my aspx pages. I use another javascript to access the Text of this HTML textbox.  Everything is fine when I use Single TextBox on a page. But the complexities go out of my control when i need to use 5 such textboxes on the same aspx page. Moreover I encounter issues of ID of ASP.NET controls that get changed as there are ContentPlaceHolders, TabPanels etc. I don't know the javascript things so deeply that I can comprehend the code that generates the custom Textbox. Now I ne...

How do YOU build your server controls? Using writer to output html or using controls?

Not install Web Controls to use these controls?
Dear All, Can anyone tell me how to use the web controls if I did not install the web contols from the downloaded .exe files? Many thanks if you can give me code with vb Lan. Regards Can you tell us what you did (step by step) and where it's not working? Please, view post 134991. DNN skins ForumTressleworks modulesDNN & webhostingIEWCtrls...

HTML Controls or Web Server Controls?
there are  2 different categories of controls in asp.net2.0, the HTML controls and WebServer controls, what are the differences in terms of usage? or in what circumstances each of these 2 categories should be used?Achievement provides the only real pleasure in life The HTML controls are primarily used when porting old ASP applications (or plain HTML) pages to ASP.NET. They are also sometimes used when you want to write large amounts of client-side JavaScript. The ASP.NET server-side controls are used when you want to write server-side code to get/set the values of the controls (but ...

Web resources about - Who uses Web Controls/HTML Controls? - asp.net.getting-started

Climate change will remove birds' control over hatching eggs: study
Most birds lay just one egg a day, a process that is likely to be affected by a warming world, new research has found.

Continental Automotive recalls 5 million airbag control units
Filed under: Recalls , Chrysler , Fiat , Honda , Mercedes-Benz , Safety , Crossover , Minivan/Van , Sedan Only 580,000 Continental airbag-equipped ...

Google will reportedly exert ‘Apple-like’ control over future Nexus phones
... that "Google CEO Sundar Pichai and his lieutenants have signaled to colleagues and outsiders that the company wants to take greater control ...

Zika Control Demands Anti-Mosquito Measures, Officials Say
Governments and residents of areas where Zika virus is spreading should redouble their efforts to limit exposure to mosquitoes that carry the ...

This architect quit his job to make an app that gives you back control of social media
... Aldo Cherdabayev quit his job and moved to Dublin, Ireland, to start a company. He wanted to build app called that gives you back control of ...

Study: Texas birth control fell after Planned Parenthood cut
Fewer women obtained long-acting birth control, births increased in poor families after state dropped Planned Parenthood from health program ...

Panel: Takata Lacks Quality Control Processes, Policies For Addressing Defects
An independent review panel hired by Takata — the company behind the ongoing recall of millions of defective, potentially dangerous, airbags ...

Air Traffic Control: Ripe For Reform
The Canadians are right — it’s time to privatize our air traffic control system.

Khloe Kardashian Says Kourtney Kept Her From 'Spiraling' Out of Control, Wants Rob to Be 'Happy'
The 'Kocktails With Khloe' host shared a touching post to her website, recalling how her sister saved her from a destructive path.