When do the validators kick in? Are they server side or client side?

 Hello,

I am confused. I was under the impression that asp.net validators work on the client side.

But I was confused when I set the enabled property of validator to false and then the validator did not work.

(RegularExpressionValidator1.Enabled = false;)

But the other confusing thing to me is that if the validators  work on the server side then when don't i see the page refresh like on other postback events?

Kindly throw some light.

Thanks!

0
sahajMarg

Validators always work on the server side (assuming they're enabled), but also work on the client side if EnableClientScript is true.  If client side validation is enabled, it will prevent a postback for invalid data, but the validators will fire on the server side when a successful postback is made.  This article has a lot of detail on how both the server and client side parts work http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479045.aspx.

Hope that helps.

Aaron

Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so everyone will know you have been helped.
0
agolden
4/14/2009 6:20:17 PM
The validators are fired on the client side and then on the server side.

HighOnCoding
Wanna get high!
0
azamsharp

client side validation vs server side validation
hello  i see a web form that consists of three controls :textbox,requiredfieldvalidator that weired to the textbox and a button within the click event of the button there is the following: if page.isvalid then response.redirect("Page is valid") else response.redirect("Page is not valid") end if according to my understandings: when the user does not fill anything in the textbox and then clicks the button the the page will not be submitted (i.e no request to the page will be happened or no postback will be happened) then no server event will be happened so it is sure when the us...

Server side validation affecting client side validation
Hi there I have some client side validation that is working fine and enables/disables buttons based on user selections. This works great. However, when I perform server side validation using custom validators (like checking if the user has entered < HTML > tags or decimals in the integer boxes) and the server side validation returns isValid = false then all of the JavaScript validation that I've already done when the user clicked each control is lost. I don't understand why the enabled/disabled state of the control is not maintained.  What is calling the JavaScr...

Server Side Validation vs Client Side Validation
If your page is using client side validation for required fields, expressions, etc.     What are the benefits or disadvantages of using 'extra' server side validation for max lengths, parsing, etc? Both have their Advantages and Disadvantages... so give this a read http://www.dotnetexpertsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=172 Regards,Vinz"Code, Beer and Music" that's my way of being a programmer!How to get your Forum Question Answered | Blog | CodeASP.NET hi there, advantage: because you are using javascript some browsers for any reason may not sup...

avoiding redundant server-side validation after client-side validation
I see an inaccurate validation behavior on my asp.net (2.0) form. The EnableClientScript property of my validation control is set to True by default, so it performs the validation on clientside. But as soon as this occurs, it also performs the server-side validation, so the page refreshes. When the validation error occurs on clientside, it should not do the validation on serverside (I'm not calling Page.Validate() or doing Page.IsValid). In my past experience, asp.net handled this automatically, but I guess it's not always the ca...

Validations client side or server side ???
Where should the validations (Required field, range, etc.) be done in an web page client side or server side?  As per my knowledge most of the validations are on client side using javascript, unfortunately it won't work if someone has disabled their browsers javascript option. what do we do in this case? Any suggestion please. Both... Client-side for rich client experience. Server-side for data validation and for clients who have disabled javascript. *Always* validate on the server side. You will still get the benefits of client-side validation on browsers setup to handle th...

Client side or server side validation???
I have multiple usercontrols each displayed by pressing a button and then change the apperance to a new user control and so on. I have to check that almost every field in this user controls have a value entered, and then indicate (e.g. with a red star) those textboxes that does'nt have a value entered. How should I do this in the best way, client side or server side with some validator? I have in mind that when using a server side validator, it may dissapear when making a postback. But I'm not sure, and I assume there is a way to come around this problem?What do you all say? Client side or s...

client side and server side validation
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/util/srcview.aspx?path=/quickstart/aspplus/samples/webforms/validate/validator8.src&file=CS\validator8.aspx&font=3 i am trying to do custom validation something similar to the above. I hv done the Severvalidate method in the code behind. What about the client validation? do i do it in code behind or in javascript as shown? The goal is to add text like this to the page:<script language='javascript'>function MyFunction(src, args){  // your logic to set args.IsValid here}</script>ASP.NET doesn't care if you typed it directly in...

validation, is it better to have client side or use server side validator controls
 Hi All. I want to do validation on text boxes etc. Is it better to do client side validation or just use the server side validation controls?   Hi!  If for server side controls you mean RequiredFieldValidator, CompareValidator, RegularExpressionValidator, etc.. i can tell you that they use client and server validation. For instance if you use a RequiredFieldValidator, on the client will be a validation, but on the server this condition will be evaluated again. Probably one of the objetives of this is deal with client with javascript disabled. Of course I ...

Disabling Client Side and Server Side Validation
I have a page which contains a User ID and Password field which have RequiredFieldValidators against them. The page can also load a User Control which contains another field which also has a RequiredFieldValidator against it. When I submit the form I use the ValidatorEnable function to disable the validator, on the User Control Page, when the user is signing in. This works fine on the client side but the page fails on the server side as I presume it does not know that I have disabled the control from the client side. Can anyone tell me the best way to solve this problem. Thanks M...

Validation Conrols: Client Side or Server Side?
Hi Folks, I am just wondering if the validation controls, use javascript...or server side code behind...Clearly, I would prefer it be server-side, because i'm concerned that a potential evil-doer could by-pass the validation, by turning off JS.If the validation controls use JS --- can someone refer me to proper server side validation techniques (VB). Thanks, - Joel    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple."- Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest ASP.NET validation controls always use server-side validation, with additional client-side...

Getting my client-side variable over to server-side
Ok so I have looked at a few posts on this subject and I can't quite figure out how to apply the idea to what I am doing here. I am using javascript to take amounts from 7 different textboxes and add them up on the fly, dropping the total in the 8th textbox. After they fill in that information they click button (postback) to continue throughout the form... what I need is for the "textboxTotalAmt" to move from client-side to server-side.  So I can access that total amount later in the form. Here is the Javascript piece... <script type="text/java...

SERVER SIDE DATA VALIDATION ON CLIENT SIDE
I wonder if this is the right forum to post this question because it is an issue about both server and client side processing. I am developing a web application (online store) which will run in a hosting company. Users accessing this app will be able to place orders with one limitation; the store has a schedule to accept orders. For example, it can be open from 8AM to 10PM and/or it can be closed on Mondays. I just can't validate time and/or day directly because time zone may lead to wrong results. So I thought about getting the schedule information, which is saved in my database, ...

Client-side validation works, but server-side does not.
Hey all,I have got this text box control on my webform, which has two validators.. 1. RegularExpressionValidator and 2. CustomValidator.Now, RegularExpressionValidator control works if I enable client-script. But somehow it does not work for server-side validation. Any idea why this is happening? This happens to another textbox control on other web form as well which has similar coding. So, to enable the validation at present I can only do client-side validation I guess.  1 <TD> 2 <anthem:TextBox id="txtDatePlannedSurgery" CssClass="aspText" Runat="server" AutoCal...

Web resources about - When do the validators kick in? Are they server side or client side? - asp.net.getting-started

CSE HTML Validator for Windows (Official Site) - Powerful HTML Validator, XHTML Validator, CSS Validator ...
CSE HTML Validator is a powerful and easy to use offline HTML, XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, and PHP syntax checker, HTML validator, XHTML validator, ...

DNSSEC/TLSA Validator
DNSSEC/TLSA Validator is a web browser add-on which allows you to check the existence and validity of DNS Security Extensions (DNSSEC) records ...

Feed Validator for Atom and RSS
F E E D Validator for Atom and RSS and KML Jump to navigation RSS Profile Support Added ( more ) Home · About · News · Docs · Terms Copyright ...

Credit Card Validator on the App Store on iTunes
Get Credit Card Validator on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Not fare: new myki card validators lack account balance information
New myki card validators will not tell passengers what their fare is, nor their account balance, leaving unable to monitor their myki use as ...

Mozilla launches new JavaScript-based Add-ons Validator for developers
... that the validation tool provided by Mozilla is unreliable and difficult to use. Today the company announces that the old Python-based validator ...

Business Insider Built An Awesome Analytics Validator And You Can Use It
At a fast-growing media company like Business Insider, keeping accurate analytics is absolutely essential. Editors rely on our analytics dashboard ...

Jon Voight, Validator of Right-Wing Frenzy
Jon Voight was once known for his acting chops and, later, for fathering Angelina Jolie. These days? Well, he's known for his rabid right-wing ...

chocolatey/package-validator · GitHub
package-validator - Windows service to validate packages conform to pacakge standards

Bing Webmaster Tools Adds Markup Validator
The Bing Webmaster Blog announced they have added a new feature to the crawl section named Markup Validator. To access this new feature, login ...