What is the difference between Visual studio.net and Visual studio 2008 express?

 I am fairly new in ASP.net development, i have downloaded sql express and visual studio express on the microsoft site, but i was just wondering if there is a huge difference between the express packages and the actual profesional packages. Any ideas on that?

www.buggrep.com
Best error repository site on the web!!
0
jjeanj1
9/3/2008 8:20:46 PM
📁 asp.net.getting-started
📃 91979 articles.
⭐ 4 followers.

💬 3 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1677 Views

If you are new then dont worry about it it, visual web developer express and sql server express
are both fine for developing with all the major features of asp.net / sql server.
There are some advanced features that I dont even know what they are.
I think that the older sql express editions didnt support full text searching but i belive that is in now
I think that the older visual web developers didnt support projects in projects but i think that
has also been added into it now for mvc support so that you can have test projects
Here is the official spec tables from microsoft:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/products/cc149003.aspx
 I have been developing for close on two years in asp.net and never experience a brick wall
that i couldnt solve because i didnt have the full visual studio.
0
rtpHarry
9/3/2008 9:01:07 PM

Visual Studio.NET often refers to Visual Studio 2002 (and sometimes Visual Studio 2003, since they are almost the same).
Visual Studio 2008 is obviously a much newer version (2 releases newer), and Visual Studio 2008 Express (the real name in your case being Visual Web Developer 2008) is a free version (with less features, as it only has the stuff important to web development).
As was already mentionned, most of the important features are there as of the 2008 SP1 version of Visual Web Developer, though the professional edition has stuff that becomes important when you start doing large, complex projects. If you're new, its very unlikely that you'll even notice that these features are missing :)
The critical ones are basically non-web related stuff, and support for Plug-ins and extensions.
0
shados
9/3/2008 9:01:22 PM

shados:

Visual Studio.NET often refers to Visual Studio 2002 (and sometimes Visual Studio 2003, since they are almost the same).

Visual Studio 2008 is obviously a much newer version (2 releases newer), and Visual Studio 2008 Express (the real name in your case being Visual Web Developer 2008) is a free version (with less features).

Yeah, the names you gave in the post subject arent correct. The latest versions are Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Web Developer 2008
0
rtpHarry