What is Client Side and Server Side?

I am New of ASP.Net

What we can and should do client side and Server Side? What uses?

Please any one clear my doubt.

Thanking You

Endendrum Priyamudan
P m R
0
Mohanet

Clientside is basically what a person can see and serverside is where actions get processed.

that's kinda simply puyt but thats the deal, you code serverside, and the html and javascript it generates let's the users for example click a button, then serverside you have coded what should happen when a button gets clicked for example turn text red. Then the server sends a new page with red text to the client (clientside) etc.

Greetings,

F.B. ten Kate

ps. Don't forget to mark helpfull replies as answer

Client side refers to the browser which is viewing the web page delivered by the server.  This is HTML and Javascript, maybe Shockwave flash, maybe Silverlight.

Server side refers to the application on the web server which delivers the web page content.

In brief:

Server side: Create and deliver the HTML and Javascript

Client side: Request the page, receive the page from the server, then display the HTML and process the Javascript.

0
Mr
1/8/2009 11:08:23 AM

Browsers are Client and your Application is Hosted on Server

When in the browser user types a URL of ur server

The Server Accepts the Requests Procecess it and sends the Response Back . This is Server Side Processing (Generally C# or VB Code)

The Browser recieves the response and is displayed as a Page in the browser

Along with the page some scripts are also downloaded from the server These scripts are loaded in the browsers memory and execute on ur Browser on ur machine without any interaction with server

This is Client Side Processing (Generally Javascript VB Script)

MVP ASP/ASP.Net
MVP ASP/ASP.Net
mudassarkhan

You will find that the controls when you move in the design to a form, they say runat="Server", to see this click in source.  Do not worry about that.

What it means is that the ASP act as a server and will return you the a page in HTML to your browser with the information resolved for that control, and what you see in the browser is the client side.

I hope it help you to understand this issue.  Also yopu can check the ASP net videos that explain this, you can download them in the home page of this site.

Javier.

0
Javier
1/8/2009 11:25:07 AM

Mohanet:
What we can and should do client side and Server Side? What uses?

There are tons of articles in the net that talks about it, I would suggest you to google the term to get more information.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Client+Side+VS+Server+Side+code+in+asp+net&btnG=Search

Regards,Vinz

vinz
1/8/2009 1:14:45 PM

 Wikkipedia has a relevant article on client-side/server-side at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client-server

TATWORTH
1/11/2009 8:32:29 AM

simplest definition : ClientSide is where the browser request for a website, Server side is where the website is hosted.

Always remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. Thank you!

- Regards,
Paresh Jagatia
http://pareshjagatia.blogspot.com
0
pareshjagatiya
1/11/2009 5:40:44 PM
Understanding the difference between "Client Side" and "Server Side"

We get so many inane questions that revolve around this subject that I decided to try and be more helpful by providing a sort of "reference" document that will enable people who may be confused to read up a bit and save everybody some time. In fact, its more of a selfish move on our part, since now if I can get most of the information into this document, then the next time somebody asks another one of these questions, all we have to do is point them to this article.

First, the simple explanation:

Client side is what's happening on your computer in your browser. It has nothing to do with the server, or ASP or ASPX pages, or IIS, or the database, or ANYTHING ELSE. JavaScript in a web page would be an example of something client side. You don't need the server to help with the functionality of the script. If you can run it on your computer (without a server being installed) and it works, it's client side. In fact, when a web page is sitting in your browser after it has been processed by the server and sent "over the wire", there is absolutely no further connection with the server whatsoever at this point. NONE! ZERO! NADA, ZIP! The page in your browser has absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE of the server or what may be going on there, and conversely, the web server machine that served the page to your browser hasn't got the slightest idea of who you are or where you are, or whether you ever even visited the web site at all! The Web is Stateless, my son -- just like your mind on a Spring Saturday afternoon! May all your methods return, etc. etc.

Server side is when the server is being used to process something. Script or code that is run on the server does NOT appear on or in the web page that is sent to your browser -- the web page that your browser receives is only the RESULT of the script or database code or processing that happened on the server.

With these two beliefs firmly fixed in our minds like concrete sticking to the sides of the Grand Coulee Dam, let's take it down to the next level and get into a few more details. Client side code is usually (but not always) Javascript. Forget about writing to the user's hard drive, or saving a file somewhere, or writing to the user's Registry with client - side script. It ain't gonna happen. Browser vendors have tightened up security restrictions to the point where unless you are exploiting some security hole that hasn't been patched, you may as well forget about these types of things. Forget about downloading files and depositing them on the user's hard drive and having them run. No way, DUDE!

Now let's say you have a textbox in a web page and you want to use client side code to make something happen. For example, every time somebody types another letter in a text field, you want to go out and search your database and come back and fill a listbox with the closest matches. Can you do this with client side code?

Client side code triggering Server Side processing

Well, yes and no. Remember the page doesn't have any further connection with the server that sent it to the browser. However the client side code CAN cause, for example, a form on the page to activate its submit method, and if the ACTION atttribute of the form points to a page that will receive the form posts and generate the return data, it can be done. However too many people continue to make the fallacious assumption that some client - side event, such as selecting a listbox item, or the onblur event of leaving the focus from one control is going to enable them to get server - side code or events to run. What it MAY do is create a post or "postback" event. This really means we have made a NEW TRIP to the webserver with some specific information that the SERVER SIDE code is prepared to react to, and it will regenerate the page and send it back to the browser. With Smartnavigation and other features, it may appear the page has not really been reloaded, but 99% of the time, it has.

The only exception to the above is when we use COM components from the CLIENT, such as XMLHTTP, to issue their own GET or POST action to a receiving web page on the SERVER, which sends back new information. The component receives this without a page reload, and using DHTML, we can update client-side DOM items in the page. Another technique is to use hidden IFRAMES to perform similar actions "behind the scenes" and receive data. However, the data must be requested from the same domain the page was requested from, or security restrictions will prevent our access to the data in the IFRAME. Newer implementations of "Remote Scripting", which was invented by Microsoft about 1998 are using the term "AJAX". This is just a buzzword for remote scripting or "Script Callbacks" which are now built into ASP.NET 2.0.

So! The next time you want to ask a question about an event or how to "do something in a web page" the very first thing you should be thinking about is whether this is a client side or a server side event we are dealing with. Happy Coding!

By
PT.Sivakumar
India
0
ptsivakumar
1/11/2009 5:51:23 PM

 hi !

      refer this site

      http://www.librarywebchic.net/wordpress/stories-tutorials-and-code-demonstrations/server-side-and-client-side-includes-explanations-applications-and-examples/

0
vijay_babu
1/12/2009 7:23:41 AM

ptsivakumar:
[...]

Nice quote.

I feel it would have been simpler to reference (and possibly credit) the source article though:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/PrintSearchContent.asp?LINKID=569

0
Mr
1/12/2009 8:36:56 AM

Thank You So much.

Ok What all we can do in Client side & what all in Server side

Endendrum Priyamudan
P m R
0
Mohanet
1/12/2009 11:14:39 AM

Thank You.

Ok .Net has two type of controls Html and Asp.net Controls for design.

When are we using HTML & when is ASP.Net Controls Differenciate?

Endendrum Priyamudan
P m R
0
Mohanet
1/12/2009 11:18:08 AM

Mohanet:

Thank You So much.

Ok What all we can do in Client side & what all in Server side

What do you want to do? You can do loads on the client side, and much much more on the server side - it really depends what you want to do, that will determine whether it's client or server.

0
Mr
1/12/2009 11:18:39 AM
hi !

    refer this for server side scripting
http://www.w3schools.com/web/web_scripting.asp
    refer this for client side scripting
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/special/script.html
    if it helps you then mark it as a answer so others can make use of it...
0
vijay_babu
1/12/2009 11:55:59 AM
the things which runs in browser are client side(Code like-ajax, Scripts) and server contains logic's and business functions....
0
IAmMadan
1/12/2009 12:12:20 PM

Mohanet:

Thank You.

Ok .Net has two type of controls Html and Asp.net Controls for design.

When are we using HTML & when is ASP.Net Controls Differenciate?

ASP.Net controls generate HTML for you, and they make it easier to manipulate the HTML before sending it to the client.

You should have little/no requirement to use basic HTML controls when creating an ASP.Net web page.

0
Mr
1/12/2009 12:13:54 PM
hi !

    refer this to get the basic idea about Html controls & asp.net controls

http://www.extremeexperts.com/Net/FAQ/DiffBetweenServerandHTMLControls.aspx
0
vijay_babu

Getting my client-side variable over to server-side
Ok so I have looked at a few posts on this subject and I can't quite figure out how to apply the idea to what I am doing here. I am using javascript to take amounts from 7 different textboxes and add them up on the fly, dropping the total in the 8th textbox. After they fill in that information they click button (postback) to continue throughout the form... what I need is for the "textboxTotalAmt" to move from client-side to server-side.  So I can access that total amount later in the form. Here is the Javascript piece... <script type="text/java...

get server side datetime but run at client side
How do I get the server side datetime eg( 4 Aug 2006  6:12 : 01(seconds) AM  ) which the time is something similiar to ticking clock, once it get the server side datetime, it will pass to the javascript. From javascript it will increment the second by one, it is just similiar to ticking clock, after 10 seconds it will synchronize to the server datetime which means it get the latest server side datetime.   Is there any guide ? thanks in advance!!!kiwi_cyh Hi, It seems you want to synchronize the time in client side display with the server. You can use asynchronous clie...

How to get innerText from IFrame (on server-side / on client-side)
Hi, is there some posibility how to read inner text from IFRAME on server-side ?I've tested it with innerText and InnerHtml but it doesnt work I also tested it on client-side with JavaScript but I'm still not able to read innerText or innerHTML of that frame. <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="WebForm1.aspx.cs" Inherits="AJAX_Test.WebForm1" %> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" > <head runat="server"> <title&...

How to get the Client side values in server side code.
Hi all, i have a proble i need to get the client side javascript values in C# code at server side. how can i pass those values? i am using version 1.1, i kno thatwe can use callback events mechnisam in 2.0 or ajax ,apart from that how we can pass? My problem is i need to stop the execution of the code based on after reciving values from the client   any ideas please???   Million thanks RamCheersRam MCP Hello Ram, a common approach is from javascript set an hidden field, then issue a postback. On the server-side, handle the post-back. Feel free to go deeper in your que...

Getting hidden variable value from server side in client side
hi,        I am struck in problem. I have a hidden field in my form and i am setting some value in that.         Now i wnt to use this value from client side but i m not able to retrieve it. All i am getting there is an object.         I feel the hidden field is not able to hold that value.         <input type="hidden" id="hdnVar" runat="server" />         in code behind      ...

client-side and server-side?
hi, can someone tells me how diff is client side and server side are these two? When I tried to do validation ... I would use Javascript ... which has something like: document.forms[0] ... I think that's client side. My understanding on server side is the "form" ... like u will have <form action=".." method=post> ..... </form> ... so it will send to server ... am I on the right track? Are there any other type of server side examples? Hi, ASP.NET itself is server side. Every piece of code processed is done on a server. What comes out of this is sent ...

Server-side or Client-side
In general, I'm wondering if there are any criteria to use when choosing between using a client side element or a server side element. For example, if I'm going to put an HTML table on a page, how do I decide whether or not to use a server control?  Should the server side always be chosen or if there is not explicit server side functionality required is it better to opt for a "normal" client side table? Obviously, if there is a need for server side control the question is answered, I'm looking more at more ambiguous situations. Thanks  This is from Micros...

Server Side or Client Side
Hi I'm a bit confused about this whole server side / client side thing. Are applets, embeded objects consider client side? If I have a form within my aspx page which connects to a database on the server side what is it considered? If I have some business logic written within a VB file when the client access the functions within that business logic (for example some kind of validation function) does the client browser actually downloads that VB file? Can someone suggest how to differentiate between client side and server side components within a asp.net based website?  Hi, i can&#...

Client side and server side
We have a application, where we have some validation on the clientside using EnableClientSideValidation. If you don't have fullscreen you can't see some of the error-messages. What we want is to jump to the place on the page where the message is displayed. One problem is that the button is a serverbutton (runat="server"). How can we accomplish this on the clientside using the same button. I have tried to use "onClientClick" and a link something like this:   <A HREF=http://forums.asp.net/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=18#form>form<...

I have a question which is, when building a .net project, we are able to use server side code and client side code(java script). How do they communicate? Thanks Client Side coding works with the WebBrowser. So when ever you write client side code you have to keep browser compatability in your mind and you have to code. Server Side code works with Web Server (IIS) and it's ASPNET ISAPI's. The won't directly communicate with each other. But using AJAX you can all server side code from Client Side! Example article on Ajax@ http://www.devarticles.com/index2.php?option=content&task=...

I need to get a server side button to run this client side code?
I need to get a server side button to run this client side code when the server button is clicked and then subsequently called by the server. Is it possible? The problem is that the print control is a client side activex. I can call it normally using a client side button but this is no good when I need to print more then one page. Any help would be great. Thanks. The code: function PrintProc(){ var MyPrinter; MyPrinter = new ActiveXObject("ImgXPrint6.ImgXPrint"); MyPrinter.PageFrom = 1; MyPrinter.PageTo = 1; MyPrinter.PageM...

Web resources about - What is Client Side and Server Side? - asp.net.getting-started

MUD client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A MUD client is a computer application used to connect to a MUD , a type of multiplayer online game . Generally, a MUD client is a very basic ...

3Q Digital Offers Peek At 3Q Facebook Ad Performance By Its Largest Clients
With Facebook set to report its third-quarter earnings Wednesday , digital marketing agency 3Q Digital offered some insight on how the social ...

Gallop Labs hires former Facebook Client Partner as Director of Sales
Gallop Labs , a social marketing and analytics firm, announced that it has hired former Facebook Client Partner Andrew Peebles as the company’s ...

Lawyer labels client 'stupid' after New Year text to ex lands him behind bars for a week
Man's five days in prison for New Year text was significant &quot;wake-up call&quot;, lawyer says.

Canberra psychology clinic accidentally reveals clients' personal details in email
A Canberra psychology clinic has apologised after it accidentally shared personal details of hundreds of patients in a group email.

Never Complain To Clients Or Adversaries
Even trial lawyers that learn and have fun all the time deal with frustrations and have their gripes. But we should never share those gripes ...

Anchorage Assembly candidate drops out rather than reveal tutoring clients
... Anchorage Budget Advisory Commission, has withdrawn a bid for the Assembly because she did not want to list the names and addresses of clients ...

Spotlight On NW Creative: Fell Swoop And Its Unique Client Mix
After living in Seattle for a few years, it’s become clear to me that many shops here struggle to capture significant business from clients headquartered ...

New online FX broker group rails against client money laws
A group of online broking firms have launched a desperate bid to sway the government on its proposed client fund segregation laws.

SanDisk Announces X400 Client SSD for OEMs
... Like the X300, the X400 uses TLC NAND flash and relies on SLC-mode write caching to provide competitive write speeds. SanDisk OEM Client SSD ...