User Controls and Custom Controls

what is Diff between User Controls and Custom Controls?
0
kirankrb

User controls are asmx files, you can use them as a webpage, drag and drop as many controls you want and still user the user control to drop it into a form.

Custom Controls are inherit from the control or used as composite control. You need to write the control by hand and override all the properties. They can be added into your toolbar.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Al
My Blog
MapStats.NET
Please click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
albertpascual
11/2/2006 2:39:25 PM

Also...

 User Controls are generally application specific.  If you want to use the same user control in multiple applications, you have to copy the files to the application.

Custom (Server) Controls are compiled into a DLL and referenced from that DLL.  This way, you can create a library of custom controls, and reference that library from multiple applications.

Because of this, we tend to work with custom controls far more than user controls.

0
Screwy1138
11/2/2006 2:43:17 PM

thanks guys.got the picture

0
kirankrb
11/3/2006 4:27:30 PM
So are you creating a UserControl or a WebControl?
Cheers
Al
My Blog
MapStats.NET
Please click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
albertpascual
11/3/2006 4:42:11 PM
Iam not working on anything .that was my interview question.i gave some really stupid answer to it.(Custom controls derived from user controls) Smile
0
kirankrb
11/3/2006 5:21:27 PM

Surprise

Hope you nailed the rest of the interview!

Cheers
Al
My Blog
MapStats.NET
Please click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
albertpascual
11/3/2006 5:57:57 PM
It was my first interview.so,i screwed up.
0
kirankrb
11/3/2006 6:38:02 PM

No worries, I remember screwing up many, many interviews by arguing with the person that was interviewing me !! Embarrassed

Are you looking for a job in ASP.NET are you in SoCal?

Cheers
Al
My Blog
MapStats.NET
Please click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
albertpascual
11/3/2006 6:45:19 PM
Yeah iam looking for Job.But i don't live in CA.I live in India.
0
kirankrb
11/3/2006 6:55:09 PM
My company doesn't sponsor H1 visas, however if you have a Green Card or eligible to work in the USA, send me your resume.
Cheers
Al
My Blog
MapStats.NET
Please click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
albertpascual
11/3/2006 7:05:43 PM
No Problem.When i get a Chance to come there, i definitely contact you.Thanks.
0
kirankrb
11/3/2006 7:22:12 PM
No worries, in the mid time, hang around here so you can learn more ASP.NET Stick out tongue
Cheers
Al
My Blog
MapStats.NET
Please click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question!
0
albertpascual
11/3/2006 7:25:36 PM

Yeah i will.This site is really very helpfull.

0
kirankrb

User Control VB.Net x Web Custom Control
I was thinking in create a user control in VB.Net, and use it in a Asp.Net as possible? So I thought about it is gonna be better than make a Web Custom Control, so i thought again, nope... But i need to know better because a don't have a progress bar in asp.net for example.... Could Somebody tell me about??? in a reallity i know the asnwer but i would like to explain by myself... Thank's Antonio...

user control or custom control ?
i have datagrid which shows monthyear user control for each row. The month year user control has two drop down list. one is for year and other one is for month. So for each row in particular column i'll have that user control loaded. it works fine but ut takes lot of time in rendering when there are 200 rows. what would be the solution. will custom control help? Hi,Lax4u: Some tips i am not quite sure. First, you can disable the viewstate of the userControl to make it not load so many information in each postback and store the necessary in the global range. Second, Caching porting of th...

user control and custom control
What is different between Web User Control and Web Custom Control? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893667Thanks, EdMicrosoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET I would suggest you to google the word "different between Web User Control and Web Custom Control" to get more informations and results...Regards,Vinz"Code, Beer and Music" that's my way of being a programmer!How to get your Forum Question Answered | Blog | CodeASP.NET Web custom controls are compiled components that run on the server and that encapsulate user-interface and other related functionality into reusable pack...

Custom Controls or User Controls
Hi, I have to create a menu control and I am unable to decide between a custom control or user control.  Apart from the fact that a custom control can be inserted into the toolbox what are the other advantages and disadvantages of each like performance, and so on.  Plus how do I decide between the two. Thanks Arjuna. Hello Please refer to the KB article Overview of user controls vs. custom controls Hope it helps, JessicaJessica CaoSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Support“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer...

Custom User Controls v. Custom Web Controls
Hi! Is it better for me to begin coding my controls instead of just designing them? What would the benefits be? I meen, i seem to be able to get all i need from just putting stuff together on an ASCX file but i'm obviously missing a huge concept here... please explain! Hi, creating user controls is indeed easier than creating custom server controls because you can simply drag & drop other controls on the form, easily add events to it, ... Custom controls however are better when you want to reuse them in several other projects. I like to create custom controls for small, reusable com...

Custom composite contorl contains custom contols: controls collection gets empty (Or control get reinitialized) on postback.
Hi, I'm  developing a ASP .Net custom server control library. Where all the basic(Text,check,etc) controls are working well. I have developed an composite control which is more like a Tabular control with the basic custom controls in every cell. The problem is, this composite control reinitializes on post back. I 've added the custom controls (in CreateChildControls method) as cell.controls.add(customcontrol)  row.controls.add(cell) ; this.controls.add(row) Please give me a solution as early as possible IMXO. ASP.NET constructs and reinitializes&n...

custom popup user control, just getting started...
I've used the ajax modalpopupextender and some css to make a pretty little popup window, which works just great.  I need to use this popup in dozens of different places on a web application so it really should be turned into a user control.  That's where I'm a little stumped though, I've made very simple ascx user controls before but this looks like it will be a little more difficult.  Here's one of the popups that I want to convert to a user control.<asp:Button id="btnDummy" runat="server" style="display:none" /><cc1:...

custom popup user control, just getting started...
I've used the ajax modalpopupextender and some css to make a pretty little popup window, which works just great.  I need to use this popup in dozens of different places on a web application so it really should be turned into a user control.  That's where I'm a little stumped though, I've made very simple ascx user controls before but this looks like it will be a little different.  Here's one of the popups that I want to convert to a user control. <asp:Button id="btnDummy" runat="server" style="display:none" /><cc1:Mod...

Custom Control within a Control Control

User Control in a User Control
I have a first user control that contain a second user control. If I cahe the first user control can I still dynamically control the second one or it is cached with the first one therefore can not control it anymore? Thanks When your first control is cached, its rendered out and its output is stored in the cache. On every request to the page containing your control that can satisfy it from cache, the output will just simply be inserted - your first control will never be instantiated or run in that case, so the second one wont be either. Hope this helps,Mike VolodarskyProgram Manager...

User control in a user control
Hello all, I have created a user control with some checkboxes, and public properties to get the values of these checkboxes. I have also created a second user control using the first user control; this second control also access the public properties of the first one. My problem is when I implement the second control in an aspx page, if I click at runtime the checkboxes in the first control, I am able to access its public properties from the methods of the second control but the values of these properties are wrong. while at design time, I do not have this problem. Than...

user control to user control
I have an aspx page that have a "Register" directive to two usercontrol called rptMaster.ascx and rptDetail.ascx. I'm trying to set up a Master-Detail relationship and wish for the rptMaster.ascx to trigger and event from a dropdownlist and for the rptDetail to be listening for DropDownList event. I believe I have gotten the events part okay with help from this articel http://codeproject.com/aspnet/Page_UserControl.asp but my declaration for a private statement to my rptMaster class is producing an error. I'm using beta 2 of asp.net and I 'm having trouble getting a reference TO ...

User Controls in User Controls?
I have the follow set up and it is throwing an error "Unhandled error loading module" ... is there some trick to this that I don't know?I have a project A that uses controls from project B (project B is just a project with all my user controls used through out other modules).  project A uses user control 1 from project B with out any issues at all - great.  But then I wanted to add user control 2 to user control 1 and that is when I get my error.  In fact I don't even have the user control 2 in user control 1, just when I put the register part into user control 1 is when it al...

User Control controls not created when dynamically creating user control
  Have created a user control for displaying and editing a dynamically number of values. The user control contains two labels and an edit box. When dynamically loading the user control I get an error when the control itself tries to change setting on the fields within the user control.   Why doesnt this work? It works okay if I dont load it dynamically but create a user-control-instance in the aspx-page but thats no solution.   Thankyou!     Here is my code:   ucDataValue.ascx   <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true&...

Web resources about - User Controls and Custom Controls - asp.net.getting-started

Grassfire near Leneva in Victoria's north-east now under control, fire authorities say
A grassfire burning near Leneva in Victoria's north-east is now under control, fire authorities say.

Publicis Said to Weigh Bid for Control of Cheil Worldwide
Publicis Groupe is weighing a bid for a controlling stake in Cheil Worldwide, people with knowledge of the matter said. The French company is ...

Oregon Pharmacists May Prescribe Birth Control - Al Jazeera America
Oregon is the only state to allow pharmacists to prescribe hormonal patches and the pill; California will soon follow

Playing around with BMW’s 7 Series gesture control user interface
We take a BMW 7 Series for a short drive to play with its gesture control. Video shot/edited by Jennifer Hahn. (video link) LAS VEGAS—Yesterday, ...

Embracing the NRA on gun control
I’m just stealing a massive post from Stonekettle Station on a plausible path forward towards sanity on guns: Those laws should be designed ...

Researchers say that Apple controls over 50% of the smartwatch market
Apple sold over half of all smartwatches in 2015, according to research firm Juniper . Android Wear, which is developed by Google, captured ...

Want to Stay Comfortable? Ask Government to Mandate Temperature Controls on Thermometers
... ” should be considered for summer months, e.g. a maximum allowable temperature reading of 85 degrees Fahrenheit on all thermostats to control ...

Will gun control sink gun stocks?
Could new gun control measures hurt gun stocks? Boris Schlossberg of BK Asset Management and Gina Sanchez of Chantico Global discuss with Brian ...

Driverless, out-of-control car does doughnuts on street
Technically Incorrect: A Honda Accord with no one inside it appears to have a mind of its own, as it decides to have playtime on a residential ...