To frame or not to frame

Hi,

   I was having troubles with framing my website using visual web developer 2008 and so was looking around on this forum. It was surprising to see many negative comments about frames and to find out that XHTML doesnt even support frames. Now Im leaning towards not using frames. I want to have 3 different sections of my website:

A header with my company name

A side section where I can put links and maybe put advertisements later on (graphics)

A main section where all the real stuff shows up

 The problem is that Visaul Web developer doesnt support that kind of a design. For example, if i were to add a picture on the left side of the page, it wont let me add text right next to it. I would have to add text below it. Therefore I was going to use frames to support this kind of a site, but frames have major drawbacks and I still cant figure out how to create a frameset file with visual web developer. Can someone please help me out and let me know what I should do? Should I use frames? If so, how do I create a frameset file? Should I not use frames? If so, how do I put a pic or links on the left and still be able to put text on its right? (I am well versed with using panels, but again, I would have to have my text BELOW the panel instead of next to it)

 I have seen many good replies on this forum and hope that I get the same response. Thank you in advance for your time.

- Kevat Shah

0
Kevat

Use tables. With a combination of nested tables you can come up with whatever layout you want.

Plus, you can use Master Page to make your life easier with regards to the static content.

Alexei Fimine
_____________
Don't forget to mark this post as "Answer" if it indeed answered.
0
fimine
2/20/2008 4:20:17 PM

Hi Kevat,

One way you can accomplish this without using frames is to use CSS.  There are lots of good examples here http://www.cssplay.co.uk/layouts/.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottR27
2/20/2008 4:23:10 PM

Thanks, I figured out how to make it work. Ive been messing around with master pages and they seem pretty helpful. As for the layput side, it was too detailed for my taste, but thanks anyways for the tip.

0
Kevat
2/21/2008 1:19:57 AM

 Hi Kevat,

 I would suggest using both master pages as well as css to achieve what you want. ScottR27's link to css layout is a good start to learn about it. Although css can be difficult at times to set up, once it is done up well, maintaining the site design is a breeze.

0
ngobw
2/21/2008 2:50:21 AM

Cool, thanks Scott and ngobw, I'll get started on CSS after midterms (first term medical, so im kinda freaking out about those right now). By the way, I had another question about buttons, page loading and passing data. Ive made a post about it in the Web Forms forum. I'd like if u can help me out with that. Once again, I really appreciate the help, thank you.

 Btw, what are the "point member" and number of points supposed to mean?

0
Kevat
2/21/2008 8:38:18 PM

 From what I know, the points are what you get when you help to answer questions in this forum and with enough points, you might have access or privileges in this site. Sort of get users to come back often to contribute to this community.

0
ngobw

To frame or not to frame?
Hi all,Normally do you build your web apps using frames? I'm having several troubles using firefox, its behaviour presents many differences.. it does not accept resizing, borders etcthanks It is probably a personal thing with frames. Personally I think they are nasty. They cause more problems than they solve. They do not meet accessibility standards. The improvements on caching with ASP.NET allow for very fast returns by caching user controls that you might normally keep in a frame, such as menu/navigation. That's an easy one. Not to. It means ugly Javascript solutions, problems wi...

Frames or NO frames.
Hi, sorry probably a topic discussed at lengths somewhere but I was wondering. If I have a ASP.NET c# web application that contains the traditional header, left navigation bit and content to the right, is there any compelling reason for me not to use frames? I realise one issue may be browser compatability but how many browsers these days don't support frames. If it helps, I am writing an intranet application rather than a full internet app so I don't see browser type too much of an issue. Thanks for your comments. Graham Allwood Browser compatibility hasn't been the issue...

To frame or not to frame...
I know this is probably a matter of opinion...but if you have an application that is using large datasets that can not be cached, does it make sense to use frames on your site to save some processing of other database driven menus, and whatnot?? Does this cause a headache if you are dealing with an application that requires user authentication, since you have to now check on serval pages for authorization? Maybe an IFrame for content is better? Just one of those questions that has been bugging me. thanks... I would not use frames. I would instead use fragment caching, that is, cre...

frame or no frame
I've read through quite a bit of opinions, but without a definate answer. I'm writing a page in asp.net 2.0 and it includes a seperate page hosted on a seperate domain.  I was going to just throw it in a frame and call it good, but I'm reading that that is not such a good idea.  Anyone have a simple way to do this, I'd like to use the master page for the site and just have an area that is framed.  Sorry if I am missing something obvious, I tend to do that lately.   You have two ways to do it.   If you own the second domain, or can ask the owner nicely, set up t...

Search in Page with frames always starts in first frame, also if I select a frame with the mouse
Name: Alexander Nussbaumer Email: alexander.nussbaumer_at_uni-graz.at Product: Firefox Summary: Search in Page with frames always starts in first frame, also if I select a frame with the mouse Comments: Searching ("Find in This Page", Ctrl-F) starts in the first frame. I would propose, if I select a frame, then the search for words should start in this selected frame. For example, if I search a word in the Java API documentation page, the search starts in the left menu frames. However, I would need to start the search in the bigger frame on the right side. Jav...

How to prevent from getting the element in frame before the frame loads?
Hi All I have to get other element in other <iframe> because the slow connection.. Sometimes I got an error when the page in the iframe has not loaed yet. How can I ensure the element in the page is exist,if not exist..maybe I can wait awhile until the page in iframe is load completely. Is there any solution? Sorry for my poor English. Hope you can understand what I said. Thanks a lot. Hi, let the <iframe> page call a function in the parent page that sets a variable like IsFrameLoaded to true. When you want to reference the element in the iframe: Che...

NetStorage Frame in Frame
--____USSHZKHRTKSQNTOQSGEX____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have problems using the browser acces to netstorage. After login its = open frame in frames and not showing the files. Reinstalling netstorage = changed nothing. WEBDAV access is working fine. With kind regards, Bodo =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D MEBSware Informatik GmbH Bodo Schulz Bodo.Schulz@MEBSware.DE www.mebsware.de =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D...

How to get Image by Frame no. from video in .net
 Hi,Can anyone know how to get  Image by Frame no. from video in .net ?RegardsSvmali  I think you need the Dot Net forum at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=12&SiteID=1 This forum is for ASP.NET web sites and web services. Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. ...

how to get a page to open in frame x when clicking menu item in frame y
There's a reason why im using frames to try and do this and not just using master pages. I will explain if someone wants me to but its not really relevant to this post. I am working in vs2005 with asp.net 2.0 / vb i have a main page that has a frameset with 2 frames. default and content In default the menu loads which as i said takes its contents from a sitemap, i have hooked this up in the web.config correctly and it displays as i would expect and functions properly too. But i want the resulting page from the menu click to open in content frame, instead it is opening in default f...

Frames & No Frames that is the question
Hello, This may not be the appropriate place for this question, if not let me know. I want to use frames in my application, the problems is when the session times out I would like to display that page without the frames. An alternative would be to display the timeout page always in the same frame. How can I do this?? My frames would look like this FRAME HEADER ---------------------------------------------------------------| FRAME MENUS| FRAME DETAIL | ---------------------------------------------------------------| Either allways in the FRAME DETAIL or display...

modifying a frame inside a frame
Hi, All, 1) I have a frame (F1) that has a TPopupMenu (PM) with no menu items at all. The only reason PM is declared in F1 is that PM is popped up by F1 manually (after simulating a left click, and then a right click on a TListBox to select the item under the mouse cursor). Components that use F1 are supposed to add menu items to PM themselves. 2) I drop F1 on another frame (F2). 3) I double-click on PM, add a menuitem to it, name it, and close the menu editor. 4) I click once on PM in the frame editor just to be presented with this error message: "List index out o...

.Net with Frames
Hi guys, I have a very weird question.My company is getting a service where only 2 epople can use it at the same time, they don't prevent more, but if we do use more than 2 we get charged through the teeth. So i came up with a plan. initially we have what looks like to be a form with 2 empty boxes and an enter button.Clicking on the button you goto another website. If some one is using the website already their username appears in one of the boxes, if a user name aoppears in both boxes a emssage pops up appologising that both slots are being used.when some one stops using the site (th...

Framing with .net
I want my asp.net page to have a header/logo area on top and then frame another website within my page on the bottom half. Anyone know how to code this? Thanks. Hi, you could use an iframe to solve this and place the header/logo in a user control so you can reuse it on other webforms. Even better than the iframe solution. Place a div tag with a style attribute like this: <div style="overflow:auto;width:300px;height:300px;">....</div> and place all the code that you want to be able to scroll inside the div tag. You'll end up with only 1 webform instead of m...

RE: Framesets
I have tried putting the entire CSK application in an <iframe> of an .htm page. It doesn't work, or at least some major code tweek is needed, because for some strange reason, while in the iframe, it is not possible to log members into the Community. This serves as a huge disappointment. Is anything possible to work around this? DanDanCirAre you Yakking yet?...

Web resources about - To frame or not to frame - asp.net.getting-started

Frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sacked Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary in the frame for Kangaroos job
Ivan Cleary has emerged as a contender for the vacant Kangaroos coaching job following his shock sacking at Penrith.

Canada in the Frame
... art gallery experience as attendees provide their candid, spontaneous reactions to a wide variety of Canadian art. For CANADA IN THE FRAME , ...

Mass shootings really are a bad way to frame the gun violence debate
... to remind us that we do, in fact, have a massive problem that needs fixing. But here’s the thing: mass shootings really are a bad way to frame ...

Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water review: Ghost-emon Snap
... photography simulation has finally found a spiritual successor that has made its way back to North America. I'm not talking about Fatal Frame ...

The ultimate troll: Jar Jar edited into almost every frame of new ‘Star Wars’ trailer
... acting of Jake Lloyd. Now a new video posted by YouTuber murdockmotion plays on those fears by inserting Jar Jar into nearly every frame of ...

Who will play young Han Solo? Meet the names in the frame for Star Wars spin-off
2,500 young actors are reported to have auditioned for the roguish Star Wars prequel. From Miles Teller to Carl from the Walking Dead, here are ...

Nieto believes Sharks let down in second frame vs LA Kings
... Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Nieto believes Sharks let down in second frame vs ...

How to fix the iPhone 6s Plus’ frame rate problem
The iPhone 6s Plus has a frame rate problem, and the only solution is more cowbell right here! Although it’s not necessarily something your average ...

Adult Titles ‘Our Brand Is Crisis,’ ‘Burnt’ Fall Like Dominoes As ‘The Martian’ Dominates Halloween Frame ...
... a film which has been riding a heat wave on an A CinemaScore and 93% Rotten Tomatoes rating, took No. 1 for the fourth time in its fifth frame ...