should we set "debug = false" in web.config after a release build?

I read from a book saying that it would gain performance to change the compilation section of web.config to "debug = false" after deployment. But I question its soundness. Since I do use "release build" for deployment and I believe at run time the compilation section in web.config should be simply ignored. Can anyone elaborate the reason this?

Thanks.
0
aspnet127

I suppose you have deliverables that will be compiled on-the-fly on the production server (aspx files for instance). Although the web.config compilation section won't apply to your precompiled dlls, it will apply to all autocompiled contents.

So you should still set debug=false on the production server.
Bertrand
----
bleroy

Build the web application in release mode and set debug ="false" in web.config?
Hi,  I have developed an intranet application .I have to build the SetUp Project in Release mode for releasing in the production server.So before I do the build of the SetupProject, I made sure that the configuration was set in Release mode by going to Build-ConfigurationManager in Visual Studio 2008. But I would like to know that in the web.config file the debug is set to true (i.e debug-"true"). So before I build the setupproject do  I need to set in Release mode and also set the debug to false in the web.config. (Or) Can I build the setup project in release mode...

Programmatically Populating the "mail.settings" section of "system.net" in web.config
I am fully aware that the system.net section of web.config typically looks something like this:  <system.net>    <mailSettings>      <smtp from="noreply@sample.com">        <network host="smtp_server_address" userName="myUsername" password="myPassword" />      </smtp>    </mailSettings>  </system.net>If web.config is so populated then this info is used for sending e-mails generally and al...

<compilation debug="false">in web.config throwing "Thread abort exception"
In Production server, <compilation debug="false"> throwing "Thread abort exception" for long running processes for more than 15-20 mins Event log message : Exception type: ThreadAbortException  Exception message: Thread was being aborted Can anybody help us!!!    It may have nothing to do with the debug mode. Is it possible the Session or Application is timing out and shutting down your thread while it's still trying to run?  Steve Wellens My blog...

setting debug="false" in web.config causes Request timedout issue
Hi,  I have an asp.net application which has webservices that retreives pdf reports for the particular request.We have just one aspx page that takes input and calls the corresponding webservice to generate reports.we have this application deployed in our production and we don't have any timeout issues so far.But after updating web.config with debug set to false,we are getting "Request Timedout issue". I have updated config file having performace as the account. But we are facing timeout issues.Any idea whats happening on background? Thanks, Vishnu    &...

Web Deployment Projects - Web.Config
Ok, one question. I really like the Web Deployment Project beta, but I am looking for what should be a simple solution and can't find it. Currently, the only way to set an ASP.Net project so that it is not in Debug mode is to set it as so in Web.config...<compilation debug="false">This means that every time I want to compile the app for release, I have to make sure I make this change in web.config. With the Web Deployment Project release, I thought I could create a  compilation.config file and then set the property pages of the project to include "compilation=compilation.config" s...

VS.NET 2005 is ignoring in web.config strict="true". I get no error when I try this: Dim x As Integer = "string"
Hello,I have this in my VS.NET 2005 web.config <compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true">When I do this in my vb code:Dim x As Integer = "string"I get no error. When I hit compilation I also get no error. What am I doing wrong?Thanks for helping!Regards,J. Bauer It's a bug of some sort See this response by Scott Guthriehttp://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=3c1c9898-8076-4f69-a5e2-e99573d03c6e Unfortunately we don’t have a GUI based way to configure this. L It is something we will make sure gets added back in, though, with the next...

<compilation debug="false"> in web.config throwing "Thread abort exception
Benson, In production server,<compilation debug="false"> in web.config throwing "Thread abort exception" for long running processes(15-20 mins). Can anybody help us !!! In a web application context, you shouldn't really have the need for things to run 15-20 minutes. You run a strong risk of falling foul of HTTP timeouts and the like. You would do better to restructure your code to do the processing as a separate job from serving the web page....

Encrypting "connection strings" and "mail settings" in web.config
I'm trying to encrypt two sections of my web.config.  Encryption works fine when I try encrypting either <connectionStrings> or <system.net/mailSettings/smtp> alone.  But when I try and do both together, I get an error and only the <connectionStrings> section encrypts properly.  Here's the error:Parser Error Message: The configuration file has been changed by another program.Source Error: [No relevant source lines] Here's the code I'm using . . .protected void EncryptConfig(bool bEncrypt) {obje...

debug="false" in web.config breaks AJAX?
When I switch to debug="false" in the <compilation> tag of web.config my AJAX scripts break. In particular I get the errors along the lines of 'get_events() not supported by this object'. Switching debug back to "true" and all is well. Using RC1. Any ideas?   No ideas off the top of my head.  Any chance you could share your code with us?Steve Marx | ASP.NET AJAX Evangelist | Microsoft Corporation It's very weird - I have a custom class derived from Sys.Component and I figured out that basically get_events() is not available when debug="false" in web.config. I cr...

SecurityTrimmingEnabled="false" despite Web.Config setting
Hi. I've written a custom SiteMapProvider that inherits StaticSiteMapProvider.  Relavant Web.config code looks like...  <siteMap defaultProvider="MySiteMapProvider" enabled="true" > <providers> <clear/> <add name="MySiteMapProvider" type="cMySiteMap" securityTrimmingEnabled="true" /> </providers> </siteMap>  The provider appears to work correctly to the extent that on a MaterPage, a Menu control driven by ...

Web.config debug="false" issue, only in IE!!
I have a very strange issue after setting the debug attribute of the compilation element in the web.config. I register an event handler that gets executed after an image is loaded ($addHandlers(buttonChrome, { load: this._buttonChrome_OnLoad }, this);). Then when it fires the Sys.UI.DomEvent.target field is null when debug is set to false. When the debug is set to true, everything works as expected and the Sys.UI.DomEvent.target points to the Image object that raised the event. What could be causing this, and why only in IE?! I imagine that it's because when debug is set to t...

Compilation debug = "true" vs. debug ="false"
If I run my site with debug="false" I get errors and can't make it past the login page.  If I run my site with debug="true" the whole site runs as it is supposed to.Is this common? What kind of errors are you getting? For whatever reason, I am no longer getting any errors.  I can't recall exactly what errors I was getting when things weren't working properly.At any rate, it's back to the way it should be.Thank-you for your reply, voodoo9055.  Your help, advice and expertise is always appreciated....

Getting a "Unable to start debugging on the web server" error
I've installed Visual Studio 2008 Pro on my 64-bit Vista Ultimate machine.  I setup IIS before installing VS 2008.  I've just started creating a new ASP.NET 3.5 project on this machine, at this point with only 1 .aspx page, and one .htm page for basic HTML display (nothing at all fancy there).  When I went to hit the F5 key to start debugging it, after it went and setup the necessary configuration information in the Web.Config file, it then gave me the following error message: "Unable to start debugging on the web server.  the web server is not configured co...

thunderbird release build error: after building current "hg://releases/comm-release" mach swears that no "dist/bin/thunderbird.exe exist"
Hello guys, please help to explain this gorgeous error message. I'm building releases/comm-release, using 'mach' ofcourse. Right after the message "your build is finished successfully", it unexpectedly tells: "Error running mach.... consider filling bug... Exception: Binary expected "OBJ_DIR/dist/bin/thunderbird.exe" doesn't exist" Correct binaries are in fact placed under mozilla binaries "OBJ_DIR/mozilla/dist/bin/thunderbird.exe" The whole piece of log is below: -----------build.log------------- Single process terminated ...

Web resources about - should we set "debug = false" in web.config after a release build? - asp.net.getting-started