Server Side or Client Side

Hi I'm a bit confused about this whole server side / client side thing. Are applets, embeded objects consider client side? If I have a form within my aspx page which connects to a database on the server side what is it considered? If I have some business logic written within a VB file when the client access the functions within that business logic (for example some kind of validation function) does the client browser actually downloads that VB file? Can someone suggest how to differentiate between client side and server side components within a asp.net based website?

0
rjjctm

i can't understand your actual problem but i m just trying to solve your confusion bet. client side and server side.

Suppose u want to apply some business logic and for that u need some data from database side so 4 that u write your all calculation and your all business logic on databaase side to use some "stored procedure" or "triggers" it will give you fast access.

and Suppose u want to apply some business logic and for that u dont need some data from database side so 4 that u write your all calculation and your all business logic on "javascripts" so its totally on "client side scripting". and page doesnt need to go back on server.

Thanks & regards,
Dhaval Shah

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as
Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.
0
dhaval_lion
5/28/2007 5:01:35 AM

Hi rjjctm,

If you go to http://www.webopedia.com type server-side

"Occurring on the server side of a client-server system. For example, on the World Wide Web, CGI scripts are server-side applications because they run on the Web server. In contrast, JavaScript scripts are client-side because they are executed by your browser (the client). Java applets can be either server-side or client-side depending on which computer (the server or the client) executes them. "

In your case:

If I have a form within my aspx page which connects to a database on the server side what is it considered?

( SERVER-SIDE )

If I have some business logic written within a VB file when the client access the functions within that business logic (for example some kind of validation function) does the client browser actually downloads that VB file

( SERVER-SIDE )

-------------------------------------

Simple Scenario:

You have an object called [ACCOUNT]:

ACCOUNT have 2 property, ACC_NO and ACC_LIMIT.

Given rules ACC_NO is unique and ACC_LIMIT cannot be greater than 5000.

 *** To validate above ( remember, always client-side get executed first ):

1) We validate ACC_LIMIT using client-side ( javascript )

<script language="javascript">

function ValidateAccountLimit(value)

if ( value > 500)

{

alert("Account limit cannot be greater than 5000");

return false;

}

</script>

2) Validate ACC_NO using server-side (c#)

private bool IsAccountNoExisted(string sAccNo)
{

DataSet ds = SqlHelper.ExecuteDataSet("Select * from Account where ACC_NO='" + sAccNo + "'");

if ( ds != null )
    if ( ds.table[0].Rows.count > 0 )
        return true; // return true where record found
return false; // return false record not existed
}

Hope this is clear enough.

DC517
This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved.
0
d4dennis
5/28/2007 5:09:07 AM

SERVER SIDE VS CLIENT SIDE

Simply put there are two distinct operations involved in displaying any web page to the visitor the first being server side operations and the second client side operations.

Server Side Operations
Server side operations are concerned with the sending of the web page data from the server to the web page visitors browser. In the case of Static Web Pages the data is simply served immediately upon request for the data from the visitors browser. If the requested page is a Dynamic Web Page then any pre processing of the page is carried out and the output is then served to the visitor.

PHP and ASP(vbscript) are server side scripting languages that are used to pre process pages and output HTML before the page is sent to the visitor. HTML is the language that the browser understands that tells it how to display the page.

Client Side Operations
Client side operations are performed on the visitors computer by the users Internet browser to display the web page as the data is received from the server.

HTML is interpreted as it is read by the browser resulting in the display of the web page within the browser. Once the page has loaded HTML cannot be reprocessed without refreshing the page.

The visitors experience on the web page can however be enhanced by means of a client side scripting language, typically Javascript used in conjunction with dynamic html and cascading style sheets, which enable interactive menu systems, hi-lighting effects, image effects, data manipulation and many other actions to be performed on the page without reloading or refreshing the page.

The relationship between server side and client side operations can be illustrated by the following example.

Suppose you wanted to display the current time on a web page. You have a number of options, you have the choice of displaying the current time according to the web server or the current time according to the visitors computer.

If you want to use the server time then server side pre processing will be required to determine the current time on the server and write it to the output in html format before the page is sent to the visitor.

To use the visitors local time, the current time on the visitors computer is used to determine the time and display it on the page. Since Javascript is running on the client side the time can be updated and displayed in real time on the page without having to reload or refresh the page.

This is not possible with server side scripting as the page needs to be re processed on the server to determine and output the new time and re send to the visitor in order for the new time to be displayed.

The server time could of course be written to the page as a Javascript variable which Javascript could then use to set a local page time variable which could then be used to keep time. However one must bear in mind that time would elapse between the server creating and writing output for the Javascript time variable and Javascript actually reading in the variable upon page loading. Also one must remember that the updating of the clock would still be performed as a client side Javascript operation.

Whether you choose to display the local time on the server side or client side or any of the standard times such as GMT, PST, EST is irrelevant as both server and client operations use the respective local time and the time zone where the server or client is located to determine the time in the aforementioned standard times.

Although primarily a client side scripting language, Javascript does offer some server side functionality however server side scripting languages such as PHP and ASP are generally far better suited to performing server side operations.

hope this helps./.

Thanx,
[KaushaL] || BloG || Profile || Microsoft MVP

"I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code"

This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers.
0
kaushalparik27
5/28/2007 7:58:02 AM

Thanks all for the help I think I have a better understanding now, Both kaushalparik27 and d4dennis examples helped me realized with some operations you can implemented both on the server side or the client side (ValidateAccountLimit can be done both in a javascript on the client side or a c# or vb based file on the server side but with the later there is the extra hassle of transferring data back and forth). But some operations such as validating account existence have to be done on the server side. I guess you would want as much things executed on client side as possible to reduce load on the server side.
So I guess to put it simply to determine whether something is server side or clients side code we just have to see where it's executed. Typing the above  sentence out suddenly make it so obvious Big Smile.

0
rjjctm

Getting my client-side variable over to server-side
Ok so I have looked at a few posts on this subject and I can't quite figure out how to apply the idea to what I am doing here. I am using javascript to take amounts from 7 different textboxes and add them up on the fly, dropping the total in the 8th textbox. After they fill in that information they click button (postback) to continue throughout the form... what I need is for the "textboxTotalAmt" to move from client-side to server-side.  So I can access that total amount later in the form. Here is the Javascript piece... <script type="text/java...

How to get innerText from IFrame (on server-side / on client-side)
Hi, is there some posibility how to read inner text from IFRAME on server-side ?I've tested it with innerText and InnerHtml but it doesnt work I also tested it on client-side with JavaScript but I'm still not able to read innerText or innerHTML of that frame. <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="WebForm1.aspx.cs" Inherits="AJAX_Test.WebForm1" %> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" > <head runat="server"> <title&...

get server side datetime but run at client side
How do I get the server side datetime eg( 4 Aug 2006  6:12 : 01(seconds) AM  ) which the time is something similiar to ticking clock, once it get the server side datetime, it will pass to the javascript. From javascript it will increment the second by one, it is just similiar to ticking clock, after 10 seconds it will synchronize to the server datetime which means it get the latest server side datetime.   Is there any guide ? thanks in advance!!!kiwi_cyh Hi, It seems you want to synchronize the time in client side display with the server. You can use asynchronous clie...

How to get the Client side values in server side code.
Hi all, i have a proble i need to get the client side javascript values in C# code at server side. how can i pass those values? i am using version 1.1, i kno thatwe can use callback events mechnisam in 2.0 or ajax ,apart from that how we can pass? My problem is i need to stop the execution of the code based on after reciving values from the client   any ideas please???   Million thanks RamCheersRam MCP Hello Ram, a common approach is from javascript set an hidden field, then issue a postback. On the server-side, handle the post-back. Feel free to go deeper in your que...

Getting hidden variable value from server side in client side
hi,        I am struck in problem. I have a hidden field in my form and i am setting some value in that.         Now i wnt to use this value from client side but i m not able to retrieve it. All i am getting there is an object.         I feel the hidden field is not able to hold that value.         <input type="hidden" id="hdnVar" runat="server" />         in code behind      ...

client-side and server-side?
hi, can someone tells me how diff is client side and server side are these two? When I tried to do validation ... I would use Javascript ... which has something like: document.forms[0] ... I think that's client side. My understanding on server side is the "form" ... like u will have <form action=".." method=post> ..... </form> ... so it will send to server ... am I on the right track? Are there any other type of server side examples? Hi, ASP.NET itself is server side. Every piece of code processed is done on a server. What comes out of this is sent ...

I have a question which is, when building a .net project, we are able to use server side code and client side code(java script). How do they communicate? Thanks Client Side coding works with the WebBrowser. So when ever you write client side code you have to keep browser compatability in your mind and you have to code. Server Side code works with Web Server (IIS) and it's ASPNET ISAPI's. The won't directly communicate with each other. But using AJAX you can all server side code from Client Side! Example article on Ajax@ http://www.devarticles.com/index2.php?option=content&task=...

Server-side or Client-side
In general, I'm wondering if there are any criteria to use when choosing between using a client side element or a server side element. For example, if I'm going to put an HTML table on a page, how do I decide whether or not to use a server control?  Should the server side always be chosen or if there is not explicit server side functionality required is it better to opt for a "normal" client side table? Obviously, if there is a need for server side control the question is answered, I'm looking more at more ambiguous situations. Thanks  This is from Micros...

What is Client Side and Server Side?
I am New of ASP.Net What we can and should do client side and Server Side? What uses? Please any one clear my doubt. Thanking YouEndendrum Priyamudan P m R Clientside is basically what a person can see and serverside is where actions get processed. that's kinda simply puyt but thats the deal, you code serverside, and the html and javascript it generates let's the users for example click a button, then serverside you have coded what should happen when a button gets clicked for example turn text red. Then the server sends a new page with red text to the client (clientside...

Client side and server side
We have a application, where we have some validation on the clientside using EnableClientSideValidation. If you don't have fullscreen you can't see some of the error-messages. What we want is to jump to the place on the page where the message is displayed. One problem is that the button is a serverbutton (runat="server"). How can we accomplish this on the clientside using the same button. I have tried to use "onClientClick" and a link something like this:   <A HREF=http://forums.asp.net/AddPost.aspx?ForumID=18#form>form<...

Web resources about - Server Side or Client Side - asp.net.getting-started

CRTC Issues First-Ever Warrant To Take Down Toronto-Based Malware Server 4
TORONTO — The CRTC has issued its first warrant under the federal government's anti-spam legislation to take down a Toronto-based malware server ...

Attack floods Internet root servers with 5 million queries a second
Enlarge (credit: rootservers.org ) Early last week, one of the most vital organs of the Internet anatomy came under an unusual attack. On two ...

Server shipments, vendor revenue go up in Q3 2015
In the third quarter of 2015, worldwide server shipments grew 9.2 percent from the third quarter of 2014, while vendor revenue increased 7.5 ...

Bloodborne servers taken down for 'emergency maintenance'
An exploit and other "serious issues" have been detected.

Facebook releases design for its souped-up A.I. server, 'Big Sur'
Facebook is releasing the hardware design for a server it uses to train artificial intelligence (A.I.) software, allowing other companies exploring ...

FBI Director: Obama ‘Certainly’ Would Not Have Received A Briefing On Hillary’s Server Investigation
FBI Director: Obama ‘Certainly’ Would Not Have Received A Briefing On Hillary’s Server Investigation

Digitimes Research: Qualcomm to enter server market with 24-core CPUs
Qualcomm, which announced plans to begin developing ARM-based chips for servers in November 2014, has started delivering server-use CPU samples ...

Server Files Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Pigalle Restaurant
... restaurant Pigalle is being accused of sexual harassment by a waitress , who says that management implied her jeans were "too much." The server ...

Hyper-V, PowerShell Top IT Pros' Windows Server 2016 Wish List
Container support is nice, but most IT pros are looking forward to Hyper-V virtualization updates and new PowerShell capabilities.