Running .net version 2.0 and 1.1 side by side

Hi there,

I read a thread on this forum which suggested that it's possible to intall both versions 2.0 and 1.1 on the same server. Can someone please provide me more information on how this works. for example, how do you tell the application the use Version 1.1. instead of version 2? It seems to me that once you have version 2 installed it takes over version one and you can't go back but I'm sure I'm just inexperienced.

One other thing, sometimes I need to compile C# classes to produce libraries (.dll). Right now in my command prompt I have access to the c# compiler for version 2. Surelly, if I compile the c# file in the version 2 compiler and then attempt to run the file in a 1.1 enevironment there is no guaranteed that it will work. How can I use the compiler for vesion 1.1? it must be somewhere in the folders but I just cna't find it.

I need to have both enironment installed because at work we use version 1.1 and I wan't to be sure that code I write at home will be compatible in the work environment.

Can someone please give me a URL where I can read about this. I'm a newbie

Thanks very much.

0
ernieboy
5/7/2006 10:13:11 AM
📁 asp.net.getting-started
📃 91979 articles.
⭐ 4 followers.

💬 6 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1207 Views

Hi,

ernieboy:
sometimes I need to compile C# classes to produce libraries (.dll). Right now in my command prompt I have access to the c# compiler for version 2. Surelly, if I compile the c# file in the version 2 compiler and then attempt to run the file in a 1.1 enevironment there is no guaranteed that it will work. How can I use the compiler for vesion 1.1? it must be somewhere in the folders but I just cna't find it.

you can use the vbc or csc command compilers in the respective .NET frameworks C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\versionoftheframework\. You can run it from the command prompt or open, which I find to be easier, a dos box. Locate the correct framework and make your call to the compiler with the correct switches.

Grz, Kris.

XIII
5/7/2006 12:06:41 PM

ernieboy:
how do you tell the application the use Version 1.1. instead of version 2? It seems to me that once you have version 2 installed it takes over version one and you can't go back but I'm sure I'm just inexperienced.

You can select the version of dot net from the Web site's properties. Assuming that you are running your websites on IIS 5/6, go to the properties of a website, click on the 'ASP.Net' tab, select the 'ASP.Net version' from the dropdown list and click ok.

"We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers."

=== Vishal Trivedi
=== VishalTrivedi.com/Blog

0
Vishal_
5/7/2006 12:29:55 PM

Hi Vishal,

Thanks for this. My problem is that version 1.1 is not listed in the drop down list, there is only version 2. Have I got my confuguration worng.

Cheers,

Ernest

0
ernieboy
5/7/2006 4:29:51 PM

Thanks Kris. That's exactly what I needed to know. Please keep up the good work.

Regards,

Ernest

0
ernieboy
5/7/2006 4:30:59 PM

ernieboy:
My problem is that version 1.1 is not listed in the drop down list, there is only version 2. Have I got my confuguration worng.

Hello Ernest,

It appears that the dot net framework v1.1 is not properly installed or is corrupted on your system.

Browse to the folder 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\' on your system, as mentioned by Kris. There will be one folder each for every version of framework that is installed on your system.If v1.1 is installed, you will see a folder with the name 'v1.1.4322' inside it (build version may differ). If the folder exists and if you're still not seeing it in the dropdown list then it may have got corrupted and you may need to re-install the framework.

"We don't really understand it, so we'll give it to the programmers."

=== Vishal Trivedi
=== VishalTrivedi.com/Blog

0
Vishal_
5/7/2006 5:11:39 PM

Aha!! I've now got it working. Apparently it was not installed in Windows Components. The thread
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=369131&SiteID=1 helped me to figure it out.

Thanks again Vishal

0
ernieboy