just getting started..

hello, my name is nick, i am 14, and i am moving from doing static html sites to doing asp.net sites. i am looking for some good video tutorials on microsoft web developer 2008, i am posting here because most of the ones i find on google are about developer 2005. the topics i am most interested in are a good overview of the tools and some of the functions, and a good database overview, not really particular to anything, seeing as i have used sql databases only a little,  but anything would help and would be much appreciated. also a question, can you create a connection to a database even if the database is not up yet,  but edit it to connect later? i have to update mine, something bugged. ugh. lol, but anyways, any help would be appreciated, thanks Big Smile

0
webkid

 You can get a lot of video casts related to VSTS, ASP.Net, Ajax, Data Access, Linq etc  at :

http://www.asp.net/learn/

webkid:
can you create a connection to a database even if the database is not up yet,  but edit it to connect later?

No, you can't

Hope this helps,

Anup

Always remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you.

--Go for it now. The future is promised to no one.--
0
anup_daware
6/18/2008 3:20:18 AM

all the best webkid and sounds good when heard that you are 14 and intrested to do stuffs... make use of this forum... Smile

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"
0
deesh1531982

In my opinion, it's fine to start from 2005. After you are familar with VS 2005, you can start to get more feature in VS2008. Anyway, everything in VS2005 is useful when you go to VS2008.

So let's do a schedule for learning ASP.NET as below and you can take them one step by one step.

1. You can kown about the general ASP.NET at: http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/#beginners In this link, you can know about the basic about ASP.NET. When you watch the videos, you can take the quickstarts as the above post: http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/default.aspx

2. To learn more about data-access in ASP.NET: http://www.asp.net/learn/data-access/ This is important part of ASP.NET.

3. After the aboves, you will be a superior. It's the time to know about AJAX in ASP.NET http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/

4. Now, you can try a starter-kit to learn how to develop a completed web site. http://www.asp.net/downloads/starter-kits/

5. Get feature about 2008, such as LinQ, PageDataSource and so on.

You can get more information at http://www.asp.net/learn/

Hope it helps.

Vince Xu
Microsoft Online Community Support
Vince

Truely just getting started, so where should I start?
I've already been working a thread on a good reference/learning book.  but truely I'm just getting started.  I've a background with HTML and some CSS But this is my first foray into any sort of application language.  I've had an interest in PHP and ASP but have only recently started to make the effort to learn.  I'm starting with the videos available here and they are great for learning the development application but I've not the programming background to easily absorb some of the more programming based processes.  I've no college resources where I'm at other than o...

Just getting started
Name: Noel B Email: kalayaanxpatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Just getting started Comments: All the function menus are the same less the search engines and ads, expecting a much faster web browsing ("I Hope...") Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Dealio Toolbar 3.4 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Just Getting Started
Another newbie here just getting started with the recommended way to globalize/localize. I've looked at sample documentation and tutorials but I'm still not 100% clear on a couple of things... I want to provide de, fr, es, and it versions of my site. I want to default to en whenever there is a bit of content that isn't provided in the other resource files. So my plan is to have these resource files, split into navigation and content resources: navigation.resources (default english text) navigation.de.resources (german text) ....etc. content.resources (default english) conte...

Just getting started...
Hello, I'm just getting started with openSUSE. I'm about as green as they come. My wife's hard drive died and rather than shell out $200 for another copy of windows, I'm wanting to migrate to Linux. I've been wanting to do it for a while now but I haven't really had the motivation until now. Having said that, I got as far as downloading the .iso file. The part I'm stuck with is checking the MD5sum. How necessary is it really to do that? I downloaded MD5DEEP and ran it but all it does is open a dos command window but never prompts me. Any assista...

Just getting started
Is there a tutorial for VWD? I am just getting started. I have it installed but I'm not sure where to even begin. I can write code but I am just trying to understand how to use VWD to begin developing a site. Take a look at the Visual Web Developer for Beginners video series. HTH,RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a question...

Getting Start With .net

Just getting started
Name: James Drummond Email: jamesatboomopdotco.uk Product: Gran Paradiso Alpha 1 Summary: Just getting started Comments: Looking good so far. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20061204 GranParadiso/3.0a1 ...

Just Getting Started
Hello - I downloaded VDW and installed it with no problems at all.  Overall, WVD looks promising and seems like it provides a lot of power. I decided to start with a simple page containing just a table with a background image. Already there's a problem in that the table's background image doesn't display. I tried to set it in the properties window, and when that didn't work I cleared it and tried to set it through Format -> Style. Still no go. Any ideas? Thanks Hoiw exactly table element look like? Can you please post the element markup.Thanks------------------------------------...

how to get start with .NET

Free .Net and Sql Server Training Videos for Developers just getting started
I figured since this is the Getting started forum I would mention a great .Net training video site with some free videos.http://www.TechnicalVideos.netThanksMike James...

trying to get started and i am getting this error
when i go to http://www.porkchopsplayground.com, i get: DotNetNuke Upgrade Error The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] ) ERROR: Could not connect to database. Could not find file 'd:\hosting\nmoran26\Providers\DataProviders\AccessDataProvider\DotNetNuke.mdb'. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Nicole Do you have a username and password set on your database? Make sure you follow the steps mentionned in the Readme.txt located in the documentation folder. In any case make sure your credentials for yo...

getting started in VS2005 C# which book should I get
Hello, I am getting started with VS2005, I have use VS2003 but not very much -(I did 4 small applications in it),  I am wondering which book you would recommend to learn the new features of VS2005, while learning more of C# programing in general There some links to good books in this thread i posted : http://forums.asp.net/thread/1489422.aspx Also these two make good reference material  Professional Visual Studio 2005 (Programmer to Programmer)   Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Unleashed  So far I recommend Wrox's C# 2005  Read the beginning chap...

get rid of that ridiculous getting started bookmark
Name: DOCTOR Product: Firefox Summary: get rid of that ridiculous getting started bookmark Comments: Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10_4_11; en) AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.22 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Web resources about - just getting started.. - asp.net.getting-started

Victims of Oklahoma ex-officer said they were forced into sex through fear
Business Insider Victims of Oklahoma ex-officer said they were forced into sex through fear Business Insider OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) - Two ...

Nations on cusp of landmark climate agreement in Paris
PARIS — Diplomats will presented with the final draft of a Paris climate accord on Saturday, following three straight all-night negotiating sessions ...

Finally, the CORRECT Star Wars watching order
Fans want to watch the Star Wars films in the most logical order possible, and the debate rages as to what that order is. We're here to help. ...

Reality Editor, an iOS app developed by MIT researchers, lets you connect smart objects by drawing lines ...
John Brownlee / Co.Design : Reality Editor, an iOS app developed by MIT researchers, lets you connect smart objects by drawing lines between ...

Anger in Greek refugee camp after Idomeni eviction
At least 1,000 refugees have been sent back to Athens, because they are not from Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan.

Fantasy sports sites get temporary stay to continue operation
Mere hours after a Manhattan judge banned fantasy-sports sites FanDuel and DraftKings from operating in the state pending a trial to determine ...

Bryan Singer Breaks Down the ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Trailer
The X-Men: Apocalypse trailer hit the web today, and based on the 200 comments left on that post , it’s fair to say the response has been mixed ...

Microsoft (Sort Of) Backtracks On Its Recent OneDrive Storage Changes
Last month Microsoft announced that due to abuse by certain users of their unlimited OneDrive storage plans, they will be axing that plan and ...

Elon Musk Forms Nonprofit To Keep AI Beneficial
The concept of artificial intelligence (AI) is an amazing one. Right now computers only do what they are told, but for a computer to eventually ...

Taliban Attack Near Spanish Embassy in Afghanistan Kills 7
The Nation Taliban Attack Near Spanish Embassy in Afghanistan Kills 7 New York Times KABUL, Afghanistan — At least seven people have been ...