Index server, indexing but not returning results (vista)

I've indexed some documents in index server. I specify the catalog and folder in my query, see below. My problem is that the query never returns any result.

I've indexed a lot of different folder och even indexed c in my despair:.On a total I have 85289 docs indexed if I look in the Mmc, but can't get one single document returned. One funny thing is that I can't set the index to inherit the settings from the webserver, if I choose properties. I can select it and save it, but when I go back, everything is set as before. I'm guessing this has something to do with security, but perhaps it's something else I haven't thought of. Some folders are set as application in IIS and some are not.

    Protected Sub getResults()
        ' triggered by doSubmit and getResults_PageIndexChanged
        Dim SearchString As String = txtSearch.Text

        Dim DA As New OleDbDataAdapter
        Dim DS As New DataSet("IndexServerResults") ' give the dataset a name
        Dim Q As Object = Server.CreateObject("ixsso.Query")
        Dim Util As Object = Server.CreateObject("ixsso.Util")

        Dim strbldSearch As New StringBuilder(SearchString)

        Q.Query = strbldSearch.ToString()
        Q.Catalog = "index1" ' name of my IndexServer Catalog
        Q.SortBy = "rank[a]" ' a-ascending, d-descending
        Q.Columns = "Rank, DocTitle, path, vpath, filename"
        Q.MaxRecords = 250
        Util.AddScopeToQuery(Q, "/", "deep")
        Util.AddScopeToQuery(Q, "/filefolder1", "shallow")
        Util.AddScopeToQuery(Q, "/filefolder2", "deep")
        ' (2) Include folders selected in check box list AND their
        ' their sub folders. See sub Page_Load check list array
        'Dim itmFolder As ListItem
        'For Each itmFolder In chkListFolders.Items
        '    If itmFolder.Selected Then
        '        Util.AddScopeToQuery(Q, "/" & itmFolder.Value, "deep")
        '    End If
        'Next
        Try

            DA.Fill(DS, Q.CreateRecordset("nonsequential"), "IndexServerResults")
            Dim intRowCount As Integer
            intRowCount = DS.Tables("IndexServerResults").Rows.Count
            If intRowCount = 0 Then
                ScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptBlock( _
                Me, _
                GetType(Page), _
                "noRes", _
                "alert('No result');", _
                True)
                lblResults.Text = "No result"
                dgResults.Visible = False
            Else
                lblResults.Text = intRowCount & " documents found."
                If intRowCount >= 250 Then
                    lblResults.Text &= "<br/>Displaying first 250 docs."
                End If
                dgResults.DataSource = DS
                dgResults.DataBind()
                dgResults.Visible = True
            End If
        Catch exc As Exception
            'display message and send e-mail
        Finally
            Q = Nothing
            Util = Nothing
        End Try

 Cheers!

/Eskil

0
utlandsfantomenno1

In my experience, you simply have to wait. Once I setup the index server, and began query against it, I would not get any results. It took about 2-3 hours before I was finally able to get anything back, and it was only partial data. A few hours later, it worked perfectly.

If you're sure your coding is solid, then just give it time. It will eventually come up.

Please mark as "answer" if this helped you in anyway.
0
onSlaught
12/18/2007 8:40:15 PM

I did a big solution like 4-5 years ago that was all index server. We had problems on novell servers, but NT-shares worked smoothly even with multi-millon shares.

Now I'm just doing it locally, and I see that all my documents have been indexed. It took a while for them to go through, but that's expected. 0 documents are in que for indexing.

I Indexed all my docs yesterday and nothing has shown up yet. I'm guessing it's either the code that's wrong or perhaps security. Now I'm guessing, but back in 2001-2002 index server indexed everything and handed out excerps to any user. When they clicked the couldn't read the documents if they didn't have acces to them, but the excerps they could. Anyways, in those days it was said that Index Server was going to check file security and not display the files at all, if the user didn't have access to them. I'm guessing that's the way it is now. Do you know? If that's the way it's done today, and I don't have access to the files, then I woulnd't get any results even though there would be valid indexes and catalogs. I of course tried adding everyone as having full control to the folders, but still no results are showing up. I'm sort of lost here. Anyone has got indexing to work in .aspx pages on Vista? Perhaps it's something with Vista, something I have to add to IIS?

As always documentation is hard to come by for this product, that hasn't change in all these years...

Well, I won't take up more time guessing wildly. Hoping for someone who can save my day!

Cheers and a merry christmas!

/Eskil

0
utlandsfantomenno1

To Index or Not To Index or How To Index
Hello, I was wondering if someone knows a better way to explain how different indexes work. Such as, is it better to have an index with int type or char or varchar etc? Is it better to have composite indexes or indexes with individual columns? How does optimizer handle different indexes and what can we do help it? Indexes are very efficient most of the time but they can be quite detrimental to server's performance, if abused. Perhaps you know of a good article about indexing that you could share with us. Or, perhaps Mr. Rob Verschoor would like to issue an article in his very usefu...

index server/indexing service win2003 or Vista no search result, possible solution
So, I've set up a new indexing solution for a client. I've hade some major issues getting this setup to work, but this morning finally got it to work. Assuming the account that's running your indexing service has access to the files and everything else is set up correctly, and you cannot get a search result returned, try going to the folder and check "index this folder for faster..." In "good old" NT you didn't have to check this option, as it didn't exist.... I could see the files getting indexed in the MMC, but on some catalogs the result wasn'...

index server not indexing
Ok, so I want to add a catalog to the index server. I can add the new catalog, I then add a directory to this catalog. I restart the index server, and merge the index. If I click the index server, in mmc, it shows 0 documents for everything. Everything meaning documents to index, total docs, docs defered for indexing and so on.  I've tried this on vista as well as on win2003 and the same result is obtained, no documents are indexed. In win2003 I can index document, but ONLY the ones in the default catalog, if I paste some documents there they get indexed. So, what have I don...

why do I get ipaddy/welcome/index.html when I thingk I should get ipaddy/index.html
I set the document root to vol1:/website (there is a folder there) The folder contains index.html When I try the site by just entering the ipaddy 192.168.1.68 The browser shows it trying 192.168.1.68/Welcome/index.html and it errors Why? What did I miss? If I do https://192.168.1.68 I go to the index.html page no problem. If I manually type 192.168.1.68/index.html I get what I expect. I am just stumped as to why it trys to serve up a Welcome folder Is there a Cool Solution doc for setting up a realworld webserver. Realworld I mean the things we all would/should do ...

Indexing server and hiding content when indexing?
Hi everyone, I'm now struggeling a bit to long with this problem and I really hope that somebody can help me. When indexing server indexes pages it reads from the top, which means that the only thing that shows in the search result is the navigation rather then the unique content of the page. I know that by adding meta description to the pages that indexing server will show this description in the result. However this will not solve the problem with all the pages I now need to index. Most search engines I know works with <noindex>-tags. Something like that ...

How to extract data from SQL Server with the Index Server Search Result?
I am developing a Recruitment Agency WebsiteI am using MS SQL Server in which I have a table called CV_Details which stores all the details of different Job Seekers. I have stored all the Word and PDF docs of the Job seekers in a 'mycatalog' using Index Server and stored the path in the CV_Details table along with rest of the cv details. Basically I want to download the cv's which i get after making a search in the doc's. I am able to get the filename, Path, Filesize by using Index Server Query.Is it anyway possible to extract all the CV Details data by matching the path.I want the cv detail...

Clustered Index on Indexed View from ADO.NET
I have a clustered index on an indexed view in sql server 2000. When I do a simple select in query anaylser from this view I can see from the execution plan in profiler that the clustered index was used to return the data, hence improving performance of the underlying select(this is why I am using the indexed view). However, if I run the query from an asp.net page using the sql provider I can see the call in profiler but the clustered index is not used, hence reducing the performance of the call considerably.If anyone has experienced this please let me know.Cheers Niall Views are...

Tab Index Always starts at Index 0
When I call Update() on the Panel my TabIndex always starts at 0.  Is there a simple way to ask the AJAX Manager to remember its tab order.  I have a MasterPage with the ScriptManager on it.  I have a Telerik user tab control with several Ajax update panels on each user control.  On the First User Control when I change a Textbox or Combobox and call the Update on the panel the everthing seems to work great except focus always returns to the Telerik tab control.  Before I switch to the AJAX (Released) I use to call a method on the Telerik AJaxManager (ajaxManager.Con...

To Index or not to Index (that is the question...)
I'd like to clear up an assumption I have. If I have a Primary Key Constraint on a Table I assume that I will not need to create an Index on the field(s) of the constraint as the action of creating the primary key constraint produces what is the equivalent of an Index (be the constraint clustered or not). Is this the case? Also I'm looking to Pivot some data, are there any SQL tricks etc. I should be aware of to be able to do this (I've searched the Newsgroups for 'Pivot' but don't understand any of the answers posted - some SQL examples would be gr...

PLEASE HELP! w/Index Server, Indexing service query
Hello, I have set up indexing service via Index Server on my local machine. I have successfully created the catalog, set up the document directory and indexed the documents within my directory. I am having problems with the query not returning the document properties that I would like to see (such as DocTitle, DocAuthor, etc.) Everything works fine, except for the fact that the result set is not returning the data fields that I need. The search works great (as far as I can tell). I also installed the adobe ifilter so that index server can also search pdf files and that seems to w...

what is the Included no-index-key index column in SQL Server 2005?
is it the same performance and functions between index-key index column and Included no-index-key index column when queried by WHERE conditions and ORDER BY conditions?Parco LeeOwner + Webmaster + System Engineer + Professional ProgrammerSoftDweller Lab (a software laboratory)http://www.softdweller.comA professional laboratory for new technology softwares developing by .NET.http://www.nowlover.com Index column include is a fancy composite key, one of the key features of SQL Server 2005, it should be faster with the WHERE Clause but I cannot say about the ORDER BY because ANSI SQL puri...

How make a query in terms of File Index value in Index Server ?
I'm writing a Search Query in Index Server SQL language. but not able to get the index value of any document in the Index Server. As this code            strQuery = "Select Filename,PATH from Scope() where FREETEXT('" +strsearchstrings+ "')";             string connstring = "Provider=MSIDXS.1;Integrated Security .='';Data Source="+strCatalog; as shown in the example above i want make a query in in terms of Index of the doc file stored in the Index Server.Is it possible? I tried but its not working out I dont know where the probl...

No result return from webservice in one server. Other server can return.
I had an application that consume a webservice and this application is deployed to 2 server (Server A & B). Server A return empty result. Before that it work ok with resultServer B return result. No error or exception for Server A.What will be the problem for Server A not returning any result?Server A is window server 2000Server B is window server 2003Thanks. Hi jingzo, From your description, I want you to clarify these questions. First, is the web service in a third server? As you said, we can know the application is deployed in both Server A and Server B...

Getting the contents of index.cgi instead of executed index.cgi
Hi, I trying to rebuild a failed server that was running Bugzilla 4.2.5. (I have DB backups from 4.2.5). I have installed everything and when I hit the main page I'm getting the contents of index.cgi instead of executed index.cgi. This is a Windows installation and I added the registry entry for .cgi but for some reason it will not execute it but instead displays the content of the index.cgi file. How can I debug this? Thanks for any help. Pat ...

Web resources about - Index server, indexing but not returning results (vista) - asp.net.getting-started

Returning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In retail , returning is the process of a customer taking previously purchased merchandise back to the retailer, and in turn, receiving a cash ...

Mark Zuckerberg Returning To TechCrunch Disrupt
Facebook Co-Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg took the stage at last year’s TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco, where he discussed ...

How-to: Improve the Experience for Returning Users
... – your inbox, your favorite news sources, or your friends’ activity. If you’ve integrated Facebook Login on your website, you can give returning ...

Search Twitter - emilia-clarke-not-returning
Sign in Sign up Search Refresh K. @ kikeurbina 1h Muy malas noticias: 'GAME OF THRONES' STAR EMILIA CLARKE (DAENERYS) NOT RETURNING FOR SEASON ...

Is the Returning CEO a Trend?
... well be wondering if it is a new trend for boards to reach back into their alumni ranks to bring back a CEO when a company is in Is the Returning ...

Returning fire - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
A U.S. Army soldier with the 101st Airborne Division returns fire with a M249 light machine gun during combat operations in the valley of Barawala ...

Marines Celebrate Returning Home With a Huge Pillow Fight Aboard the Airplane - YouTube
Visit http://WelcomeHomeBlog.com for more surprise military homecomings! In this clip, a group of marines celebrate their safe return home from ...

WWE’s Daniel Bryan on WWE 2K16, facing Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania, returning to the ring and life on ...
The four-time WWE world champion discusses whether it is right for Stone Cold Steve Austin to be the cover star of WWE 2K16, as well as who he ...

Damn Fine News of the Day: Kyle MacLachlan is Returning to ‘Twin Peaks’
In case you missed it, David Lynch announced on Twitter Monday that Kyle MacLachlan will reprise his role as Special Agent Dale Cooper in the ...

Injury not enough to keep official caught in crossfire from returning to action
The NRL match official caught in the crossfire of angry Bulldogs fans says he has no intention of stepping down from his role on the sidelines. ...